Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2012 1:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
So what was hard to understand in this episode? I thought everything was quite well-explained even for those who don't have background in technical stuffs.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 29, 2012 1:12 PM

Oct 2010
Thank you very all for the Doppler discussion. It's amazing I still have to think about it a little but much less. I was wondering if it's not a little lame that the radars still use wave receivers whereas they should have another better tech for it less I am wrong on how they work in this series.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 29, 2012 1:30 PM

Dec 2011
bastek66 said:
My face during every episode

Shit is sooooo boring.
lol, well played sir. ^^

niwasatou said:
ITT: People with zero patience. This is only episode 4, what are you expecting?
Well, the opening is like:

TLILDI ~ BAM ~ TLILDI ~ BAM ~ TLILDI ~ BAM ~ HYYYYYYYYAHHH! *Inserts flames, explosions, screams and scary monsters* LAAALAAA *Dramatic singing* LAAAAAAA-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

*Faints in awe*

Show starts:

*Sleeps*
Jan 29, 2012 2:39 PM

Oct 2010
Sebulon said:
Show starts:

*Sleeps*
I find she is like either sleepwalking in space or just plain zombie like. She does have a charm there. Expression wise.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 29, 2012 5:48 PM

Apr 2008
meatz said:

I especially love how the characters are all self-dependent, true-to-life individuals with a tad of anime aura mixed in. And they are beautifully working together to achive one goal.
I also really dig the technical backgrounds and realistic portrayal of aerospace engineering. If they don't screw this up, it'll easily become my favourite. Please don't screw up!

Well said.
Also, I don't think this show is boring nor hard to understand. I'm glad I picked this up. :)
Jan 29, 2012 10:18 PM
Apr 2009
Show's going great for me. Pacing is perfect. The plot and the people are growing and developing ever so nicely.
Jan 29, 2012 10:26 PM

Mar 2009
saxophone15 said:
I would like to point out that Marika doesn't need to be an expert on electronic warfare to be a good leader. She just needs to know enough to effectively lead her crew (the experts) to victory.

THIS. Also, all the discussion of how "slow" or "boring" it is seems silly to me. But, each to their own, I guess. I for one am loving this show--lots of technical sci-fi goodness, great characters so far (not nearly as annoying as the girls in Symphogear!) and the promise of pirates. I don't mind that it's building things up. I think the show will be a lot better in the end because of it. We'll know the crew's personalities, motivations, and so on. Plus, I think the setting of the yacht club makes the whole "high school pirates" thing just a teensy bit more believable, and I'm glad they're setting it up that way.

Looking forward to next week!
Jan 30, 2012 1:05 AM
Jan 2011
I for one am absolutely enjoying this series including the technical discussions about electronic warfare tactics, some of which are in use today, namely the virtual machine clone.

I'm also enjoying the detail given to solar sails, a technology JAXA is currently testing. Check it out:
http://www.jspec.jaxa.jp/e/activity/ikaros.html
Captain_DamnitJan 30, 2012 1:23 AM
Jan 30, 2012 7:31 AM
Jun 2008
I wonder why she(dunno her name) know that Marika is the daughter of pirate .

oh dear, I don't get the story at all.I am watching this raw and there are too much word I miss out and I end up being confuse and sometimes boring .I could re-watch it, but ....
So far, the only thing I know is that they are "voyaging".dunno to where? dunno why.
Jan 30, 2012 1:37 PM

May 2011
Their space technology and engineering are just fascinating. I really like how they incorporates all of these and make it seem more realistic. Lol damnn that president knows much more that she lets on. She's good, but Marika's plan and the way she took control was even better. Obv pro captain right here.
Jan 30, 2012 2:34 PM
Dec 2007
Moretsu's getting better and better. I don't know where it'll stand in the end but the development is really, really good right now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 31, 2012 2:58 AM

Jun 2011
Sebulon said:

But yeah, it was an ok episode, I wish they would get into action soon, because I'm getting tired of the endless "blahblahblah mehmehmeh blaablablaaaa", just make her the captain of the damn Bentenmaru and start the pew-pew against aliens and evil people.

i feel the same
Jan 31, 2012 3:03 AM

Feb 2011
nelsonbrabra said:
Sebulon said:

But yeah, it was an ok episode, I wish they would get into action soon, because I'm getting tired of the endless "blahblahblah mehmehmeh blaablablaaaa", just make her the captain of the damn Bentenmaru and start the pew-pew against aliens and evil people.

i feel the same

Me too (kinda).

I really want to like this show. But somehow, it just doesn't deliver.
Sure, there are more then 20 episodes to go, but it should really start soon.
Jan 31, 2012 8:27 AM

Feb 2010
Well that was... Uh,.. dropped. :-|
Jan 31, 2012 2:11 PM
Oct 2010
I have come to like this anime very much, but I can see why people are complaining about the pace. Honestly, I think that it is not slow plot progression that miffs people, but rather lack of character exposition and character interaction (apart from the main character). There is already a large cast presented, but as we hardly see them interact with each other (no, "technobabblatron state is green, ok setting thingamajin-X to blast, all checks cleared" does not count as meaningful interaction), we still do not know anything about them.

I am not saying this anime should become Legend of the Galactic Schoolgirls (would be fantastic if it did), but some more character exposition and more fleshing out the relationships (a la Stellvia, for example) could really add flavor to this space journey.

Anyway, I am not really complaining, just pointing out some shortcomings in a series I am enjoying very much. My only concern is that the story will probably not fit well in 26 episodes, the anime should be larger than that. So, keep the pace, add some more interactions/conflicts/juicy space exploration, let the plot unfold naturally, say in the course of 52 episodes, and don't forget your side characters :)

Btw, Sebulon's post 53 had me laughing for about five minutes. Excellent observation about the opening song :)
Jan 31, 2012 2:31 PM

Jun 2011
This may be boring for some people... But I'm really liking this, it's getting better and better.
Jan 31, 2012 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
Oh no, a non action anime has no action. Laaame.

It's like expecting Fate/Zero to be a comedy just because the characters look funny. And I don't see people hatin' Nisemonogatari because it's all talking without anything happening.

Also, what's with people whining:
1. If a character suddenly starts being a captain/mecha pilot and is good, the anime sucks because the character is too good without experience
2. If a character starts slowly training to be a captain/mecha pilot with high potential it sucks because he's not the captain yet

So far, Mouretsu is pretty good. It's showing some technical stuff too, and preparation for everything, unlike most anime where the technical stuff is left in the dark. The next episode will show some action, but it probably won't concentrate on the actual action, but on the characters I guess. Their reaction and their strategy is far more important than fighting.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 1, 2012 8:09 AM

Jan 2011
Jacut said:
Moretsu's getting better and better. I don't know where it'll stand in the end but the development is really, really good right now.

Well said, I also like how this show takes the time to explain stuff and isn't rushing.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Feb 2, 2012 1:29 PM

Jul 2011
Ok, between people bored with the show and people who find it amazing, I'll try to give a balanced opinion here. But I must admit, I'm not liking the slow pacing too much.

To be honest, I find Marika a good female lead, and the anime have some good production values. Homever, I don't think they shouldn't be so slow in development.

Not like I have something against minutes and minutes of dialogue - for example, I like Bakemonogatari pretty much. Homever, Mouretsu have a lifeless direction. The dialogues just feel boring and a bit unacessible for those who aren't too much into cyberstuff. If these dialogues are a way to show Marika abilities, I think there would be better ways to do that.

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Feb 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Aug 2010
Slow pace but it's a 2 cour show so I'm okay with it.
Feb 3, 2012 11:26 AM

Nov 2009
the pacing is a little slow, but the next episode looks promising !
Feb 3, 2012 10:40 PM

Nov 2007
I don't know what complains are there for, i actually loved an episode of this anime for the first time.

It was pretty amazing with all the technical terms and nice way to put radar technology muxed with new theories. I say we are getting into a very good anime starting next week.

5/5 for this week from me and have patience minna!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 4, 2012 12:13 AM

Apr 2010
This show sucks. Why the hell would a 26ep show have pacing? It should be pew pew laser fights every 30sec of every episode. /sarcasm
Feb 4, 2012 4:19 AM

Dec 2008
IMO this pacing "issue" is all the title's fault.

I don't fault the people who are expecting craploads of action from a name like Bodacious Space Pirates.

I wonder how different people's expectations would be if they went with the Bleach way of naming and called it Nevermind or something.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Feb 4, 2012 5:51 PM

Apr 2008
I'm finally starting to get into this show. I was impatient to get the characters onto the Bentenmaru, but this arc is growing on me. Guess it'll be over soon regardless. I can't help but think the president is trying to test Marika's abilities as a captain as well. I'm starting to like the supporting cast more than I thought.

Speaking of the Bentenmaru though, if you add some grappler arms it would almost look like...
Feb 9, 2012 9:20 AM

Jul 2011
It is really hard to watch a show that is this damn slow week to week, might have to wait until it's finished and then marathon it, but then I would probably lose interest. I'll give it some more eps (week to week) and see what happens because it looks to have promise.
Feb 10, 2012 6:35 AM

Aug 2010
I'm glad that it was quickly established that the girls are good in their respective fields, if they win, it won't be as ridiculous as if they were just mere amateurs.

I do wonder though how this dummy system would work in real life. I mean it seems quite simple and self-evident, one would assume it is a well known tactic and has countermeasures. Though if they do play along, that could account for the enemy to be fooled.

I'm still (mostly) satisfied with how they handle the setting, it's refreshing and I, as a minority, like the pacing 4/5.
Feb 10, 2012 9:27 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Mogami-kun said:
I do wonder though how this dummy system would work in real life. I mean it seems quite simple and self-evident, one would assume it is a well known tactic and has countermeasures. Though if they do play along, that could account for the enemy to be fooled.

The outside attacker may "assume' that the target is using a dummy system, but the point is that the attacker doesn't really know. But a dummy system is only as good as the defender makes it. The defender's job is to make it appear as if it is the real thing. In episode 5 notice what job Chiaki has during the actual fight.
Feb 10, 2012 11:00 AM

Jun 2008
Amberleh said:

I also agree that some of the technical talk is a bit confusing, and their attitudes towards things confuse me as well. Are they actually fighting REAL dangers or is this just a test? That's what confused me most.

That's a very good point. If they really are facing an actual danger(or at least they think they are) then their attitude is quite strange and un-comprehesinseble. Especially considering that we are talking about school girls here. Is like they have no realization of danger. Are we supposed to believe that a bunch of school girls that haven't gone threw any real dangers in life are actually completely fearless!
Jul 5, 2012 11:34 PM

Jun 2009
Really impressed by this series so far. Marika felt like she was channeling some Yang Wenli during the part where she was discussing the plan with her captain. The strategy seemed well thought out for someone who doesn't have much experience, like Kane basically said she'll be a Monster with experience.

These episode discussions are making me somewhat disappointed in the MAL user base, as conceited as that probably makes me sound.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 2, 2013 3:04 PM

Oct 2011
It's quite weird how the girls are all really complacent about the fact there are people trying to attack them. Still, I'm finding it really interesting and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing other planets and star systems.
Oct 7, 2013 9:42 PM

Jun 2011
I love how they went the non-traditional route of focusing less on blazing guns and lasers and more on cyberwarfare. Quite interesting so far.
Nov 5, 2013 11:56 PM

Jul 2008
So the whole series will be about this practice cruise huh? (This pace is killing me), however the president figuring out the situation like that was a nice twist
Jan 2, 2014 2:01 PM

May 2012
Some really nice development that's going on here and I sure like the pacing of this anime so let's see what's next!
May 31, 2014 4:31 AM

Aug 2013
Love how they explain the strategies and tactics. Ahhh sci-fi and tech talk <3
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 7, 2020 10:15 PM

Jul 2009
It's more of a planning and all.

I'm sure the coming episodes will be more action pack!
Aug 30, 2021 5:59 AM

Feb 2014
Marika is really gung-ho and down to fight like a pirate hehehe. She and Chiaki are clever together

Looks like we'll have some space battling next episode, I'm excited!

I'm really liking the OST!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2022 10:02 PM
Sep 2022
Things are getting a bit more interesting this episode, was a little slow the last couple eps but still loved it
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.