Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 26, 2012 11:18 AM

Jan 2012
You know how almost every anime in existence has some type of fanservice? Whether it involves saunas, hot springs, pools, beaches, or even blatant things like cleavage, pantsu, or perverted jokes, there usually is at least one perverted aspect. While by "fanservice", I mainly mean perverted aspects, but feel free to talk about any type of fanservice.

Now, I'm NOT looking for recommendations. I'm interested in hearing from you guys if there really aren't that much series that are completely clean. So, are there any series that you've seen without any fanservice whatsoever(or close to none)?

This isn't really worth a thread, but I'm making this one anyway. I mean there are stupider things to make a thread about.
Solo-MaroJan 26, 2012 6:08 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 26, 2012 11:22 AM

Jun 2009
You're just watching the wrong genres. There's plenty of shows out there without any fanservice.
Jan 26, 2012 11:31 AM

Dec 2011
There are many animes without fanservice, mainly the old ones.

By the way, Im the opposite.
Im looking for animes with fanservice a lot.
Jan 26, 2012 11:40 AM
Feb 2010
So... you aren't asking if an anime without fanservice exists, you're asking if one without sexual fanservice, but things like unnecessary explosions are fine, right?

Hmmm... I don't remember seeing any sexual stuff in the first 30 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes (damn, I still need to finish that one), but other than that, unless you watch the kiddie shows (or rather, instead of the "normal" stuff aimed at 14-year-olds, the stuff aimed at 7-year-olds) you're bound to see cleavage eventually.
Jan 26, 2012 11:44 AM

Aug 2011
Not that big of a challenge, but it's somewhat hard to find shows with ZERO fanservice, since about every show includes female characters.

As for the following, they may have it, but I don't remember it. (not counting blood as fanservice, BTW)
Ashita no Joe
Baccano!
Captain Tsubasa
Grave of the Fireflies
Hikaru no Go
Inazuma Eleven
Kaiji
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Level E
Mirai Shounen Conan
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Saint Seiya
Trigun
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (only in 1 goddamn episode, but it's a part of the storyline)
Tiago97Jan 26, 2012 12:07 PM
Jan 26, 2012 11:45 AM

Feb 2008
Arguably in many cases cleavage and jokes are not fan service in most cases.

There's a lot of anime that have fanservice, but it's probably close to 10% of the total amount of anime. In fact, easy way to be sure to find one without it is to get rid of comedy and ecchi in your search criteria.

Also take this case: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is an anime that contains nudity, panties, cleavage and sex yet it is not "fanservice".

Fanservice is a term specifically used in anime that contain obvious nods to the male audience in terms of panty shots, shredding of clothing, harem and so on. The elements themselves can, when presented differently be part of the plot and not be fanservice at all.

I think you're misusing the term fanservice for anime that contain no sexual reference. There's also plenty of those. At least all childrens anime, shonen for the young, shojo, seinen and josei anime contain none of the elements you speak of. The genre used for fanservice is "ecchi" and to a certain extent also "hentai", but in that last case you probably can't call it fanservice anymore.
Jan 26, 2012 11:49 AM

Aug 2011
AeonsLegend said:
Fanservice is a term specifically used in anime that contain obvious nods to the male audience in terms of panty shots, shredding of clothing, harem and so on. The elements themselves can, when presented differently be part of the plot and not be fanservice at all.

Not just sexual content, but as Wiki says: "Long full shots of robots in mecha shows, sexual elements, long fight scenes or violence, all can be considered fan service as they are specifically aimed to please the fans of any given show."
Jan 26, 2012 11:53 AM

Feb 2008
Tiago97 said:
AeonsLegend said:

Not just sexual content, but as Wiki says: "Long full shots of robots in mecha shows, sexual elements, long fight scenes or violence, all can be considered fan service as they are specifically aimed to please the fans of any given show."
I know, but the general accepted term "fanservice" is what I described. If you want to get technical, anything in an anime that is aimed at a specific group of people is fanservice. The wikipedia is not a comprehensive list either and in that case ALL anime have fanservice, so NO anime have fanservice because anime IS fanservice. I say, let's stick to something we can all agree on and not get inane.
Jan 26, 2012 11:55 AM

Nov 2010
Kaiji is the first that comes to mind. i think there is only 1 female character in the entire 2 seasons and she only gets a few secs of screentime lol.

but yea seems like 90% of anime has atleast some fanservice. Glad im not a hater XD
Jan 26, 2012 12:24 PM

Aug 2011
I know there are lots of animes that doesn't have fanservice out there and I've seen a couple of them too. Frankly speaking, i prefer watching animes with fanservice in it. I find it really entertaining having those stuff added in cause sometimes they get so ridiculous that i just couldn't stop laughing my ass off.
Jan 26, 2012 12:33 PM

May 2011
AeonsLegend said:
Tiago97 said:
AeonsLegend said:

I know, but the general accepted term "fanservice" is what I described. If you want to get technical, anything in an anime that is aimed at a specific group of people is fanservice. The wikipedia is not a comprehensive list either and in that case ALL anime have fanservice, so NO anime have fanservice because anime IS fanservice. I say, let's stick to something we can all agree on and not get inane.

No. you described "ecchi"
while being the most prevalent form of fanservice, fanservice is not limited to ecchi. What Taigo97 said does hold water. and fanservice can even be expanded to include the female audience not just the male. and No, this doesn't mean every anime has fanservice :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2012 12:39 PM

Sep 2011
No fan-service... *fantasises* my favorite type of Anime. :3
Jan 26, 2012 12:47 PM

Nov 2010
usagi drops :)
madoka magica (i think, can't remember haha)
pokemon, digimon, bakugan...
Bokura ga Ita (would be even more weird if it had fanservice hahaha)

god to many to name haha
Jan 26, 2012 12:48 PM

Feb 2008
Hexis said:
AeonsLegend said:
Tiago97 said:
AeonsLegend said:

No. you described "ecchi"
while being the most prevalent form of fanservice, fanservice is not limited to ecchi. What Taigo97 said does hold water. and fanservice can even be expanded to include the female audience not just the male. and No, this doesn't mean every anime has fanservice :D
No I described the general term "fanservice". I know it contains more than just ecchi, but when used to describe anything in general it is ecchi. And like I said, there's a problem with fanservice crossing genres like the wikipedia describes. Logically the description is flawed because it describes anything that pertains to a specific group of people, but that's the setup of all anime which defeats the purpose of classifying it entirely. All Anime is aimed at a specific group so all anime is fanservice. If it is fanservice it cannot contain fanservice. There's no two ways around this statement. This is why when talking about fanservice you should specify the type so it pertains to a specific genre. Like I said, without naming a genre it is generally used to define parts usually found in ecchi anime
Jan 26, 2012 1:02 PM

May 2011
AeonsLegend said:

I know it contains more than just ecchi, but when used to describe anything in general it is ecchi.

this. while yes generally its ecchi stuff, but what im trying to say its not limited to that stuff.

AeonsLegend said:

And like I said, there's a problem with fanservice crossing genres like the wikipedia describes. Logically the description is flawed because it describes anything that pertains to a specific group of people, but that's the setup of all anime which defeats the purpose of classifying it entirely. All Anime is aimed at a specific group so all anime is fanservice. If it is fanservice it cannot contain fanservice. There's no two ways around this statement. This is why when talking about fanservice you should specify the type so it pertains to a specific genre. Like I said, without naming a genre it is generally used to define parts usually found in ecchi anime

there is a stark difference between creating material for a specific audience, and creating things that the audience wants or likes.

haha twilight comes to mind >.< guh. why did watch that.
Jan 26, 2012 1:33 PM

Feb 2008
Hexis said:
there is a stark difference between creating material for a specific audience, and creating things that the audience wants or likes.
Agreed. You create things an audience like and market it for a specific group of people. The people that liked the things you created. It's degrading words to the level of specification, it's not actually showing a flaw in my logic. Unless we go into the discussion on what is fanservice and it should be limited to elements inside an anime. For the sake of the argument let's accept that. This limits the use of anime as fanservice in my argument, but since the elements themselves aren't limited it could be anything and no anime would ever be created without containing something the targeted audience likes. This goes back to my original statement that all anime contain fanservice, which defeats the purpose of calling it fanservice. Since if anything could be fanservice there is no point in classifying it.
Jan 26, 2012 1:42 PM

Feb 2005
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably one of the best examples. Sure, you do get lots of big battles full of pew pew and the occasional gore shots from inside collapsing ships, but all in all, the series focus less on the battles than most scifis would. You hardly ever get any of those fancy dogfighting sequences for example, even though a couple of the recurring characters are pilots.
I guess the pretty pointless close combat with all it's gore might be a bit fanservice though. But again, hardly anything considering how little of it there actually is.
Jan 26, 2012 1:52 PM

Aug 2011
-Solo said:
You know how almost every anime in existence has some type of fanservice? Whether it involves saunas, hot springs, pools, beaches, or even blatant things like cleavage, pantsu, or perverted jokes, there usually is at least one perverted aspect.

No. Case closed.
Jan 26, 2012 1:59 PM

May 2011
AeonsLegend said:
Hexis said:
Agreed. You create things an audience like and market it for a specific group of people. The people that liked the things you created. It's degrading words to the level of specification, it's not actually showing a flaw in my logic. Unless we go into the discussion on what is fanservice and it should be limited to elements inside an anime. For the sake of the argument let's accept that. This limits the use of anime as fanservice in my argument, but since the elements themselves aren't limited it could be anything and no anime would ever be created without containing something the targeted audience likes. This goes back to my original statement that all anime contain fanservice, which defeats the purpose of calling it fanservice. Since if anything could be fanservice there is no point in classifying it.

Ok so from what I understand, you are saying that if we broaden the definition of fanservice to include elements that the viewer likes, every anime can be fanservice because every anime has things we like, and therefore defeating the purpose of having it as a classification.

I will try to give a better example of
Hexis said:
creating things that the audience wants or likes.

Lets assume most guys like breasts. Now based on what you said, any anime with breasts would constitute fanservice, but why is that not the case? Because fanservice usually entails hyperbolized reality. So an anime with huge breasted girls would be considered fanservice. Similar logic can be applied to other cases to differentiate between where something is added as fanservice or not.
Jan 26, 2012 2:05 PM

Dec 2010
If you specifically want an absence of sexual fanservice then Studio Ghibli is probably the best place to start, except for Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind. There are lots of upskirt shots, and Nausicaa is always flying about without underwear, which certainly catches the eye (no actual nudity, it's not hentai).
Jan 26, 2012 2:15 PM

Feb 2008
Hexis said:
Ok so from what I understand, you are saying that if we broaden the definition of fanservice to include elements that the viewer likes, every anime can be fanservice because every anime has things we like, and therefore defeating the purpose of having it as a classification.
Fanservice is the specific addition of elements in any type of show to appeal to a certain group of people. Most of the times obvious, like panty shots, other times not obvious like superpowers. (According to wikipedia)

Hexis said:
Lets assume most guys like breasts. Now based on what you said, any anime with breasts would constitute fanservice, but why is that not the case? Because fanservice usually entails hyperbolized reality. So an anime with huge breasted girls would be considered fanservice. Similar logic can be applied to other cases to differentiate between where something is added as fanservice or not.
Yes, usually, but not always. Big boobs might be fanservice, but it might also not be fanservice. As I posted in my original post. The application of these elements doesn't always mean that they are meant as fanservice. This however poses the following problem with the term fanservice. If in one anime the element is fanservice and the other it isn't fanservice it is only so because of how it is judged by the viewer. This means it is not identifyable as fanservice in all cases. Fanservice should be obvious to all viewers as fanservice. This addition should be made. It should always be hyperbolized as well. If not then I revert to my original argument that anything could be fanservice since it will always appeal to a certain group of people. Your use of the word "usually" makes my point. A classification should always be valid and not only sometimes. If I use the word fanservice I will use it to denote an obvious use of a certain factor that appeal a certain group of people that serves no purpose to the story itself. Without any genre specific denotation it serves as the use of ecchi elements in an anime.

I think you'll find it impossible to find an anime without fanservice as the wikipedia describes it:

Wikipedia.org said:
Long full shots of robots in mecha shows, sexual elements, long fight scenes or violence, all can be considered fan service as they are specifically aimed to please the fans of any given show.

To me, this is an inaccurate description of fanservice. My earlier statements and arguments show that it is flawed. You yourself raised the necessary points to prove me right.
Jan 26, 2012 2:51 PM

May 2011
AeonsLegend said:

Yes, usually, but not always. Big boobs might be fanservice, but it might also not be fanservice.

You said it well here:
AeonsLegend said:

If I use the word fanservice I will use it to denote an obvious use of a certain factor that appeal a certain group of people that serves no purpose to the story itself.

AeonsLegend said:

This means it is not identifyable as fanservice in all cases.

I think the contrary.
AeonsLegend said:

Fanservice should be obvious to all viewers as fanservice

And it is
AeonsLegend said:

Without any genre specific denotation it serves as the use of ecchi elements in an anime.

Not necessarily
AeonsLegend said:

I think you'll find it impossible to find an anime without fanservice as the wikipedia describes it:

I agree
AeonsLegend said:

Wikipedia.org said:
Long full shots of robots in mecha shows, sexual elements, long fight scenes or violence, all can be considered fan service as they are specifically aimed to please the fans of any given show.

To me, this is an inaccurate description of fanservice. My earlier statements and arguments show that it is flawed. You yourself raised the necessary points to prove me right.

I didn’t say I agreed with that definition. I was just emphasizing that ecchi is not the only form of fanservice.
Jan 26, 2012 3:01 PM

Feb 2008
Sigh, but the entire debate started because of the wikipedia reference. If you don't agree with it then why do you argue the statement I make when I compare my opinion with the wikifact. You said "you said it well here" which was my opinion on fanservice. I simply did not agree with the wikipedia reference since it is a contradiction and I explained it in all my posts. Now you tell me you disagree with the wiki reference as well.

And I agreed with you that ecchi is not the only form of fanservice, but without a reference to a certain genre it defaults to ecchi.
Jan 26, 2012 3:02 PM

Mar 2009
Many series don't have fanservice. Some examples: One Outs, Kaiji, Akagi, Chi's Sweet Home.
Jan 26, 2012 3:21 PM

Sep 2011
AnoHana.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Jan 26, 2012 3:21 PM

May 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Doraemon has no fanservice in it, at least as much as I've seen of it... Just sayin...
Jan 26, 2012 3:28 PM

Oct 2007
The Aria trilogy don't have any fan service in them.
Jan 26, 2012 3:53 PM

Jun 2009
Kuromii said:
The Aria trilogy don't have any fan service in them.

Well, I could see someone thinking the spa and Neverland episodes as fan service. If someone wants to, they can probably find something that could be perceived as some sort of fan service in pretty much anything.

Personally, I'm caring less and less as I watch more.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 26, 2012 4:11 PM

Jan 2012
While not completely free from fanservices, Taishou Yakyuu Musume had almost zero of it, besides of spring bath scenes(which not that sexy) and implied lesbian relationship. You won't see anything like bouncy breasts and pantyshots which is quite ironic it shared same league as most moe shows out there.
---
Jan 26, 2012 4:19 PM

Jul 2010
Escaflowne (don't thnik there's any)
Mirai Shounen Conan
Jan 26, 2012 6:07 PM

Jan 2012
I didn't mean for this topic to spark debate, but do what you want guys. Whatevs.

SilentMelodies said:
AnoHana.

It almost didn't. If they didn't throw in that pointless scene of Jintan freaking out about Menma coming out of the shower, as well as the time where she was grinding on top of him in the first episode and he ended up "passing out."
Jan 26, 2012 6:47 PM

Dec 2011
Hm. Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade, Crush Gear. They are all anime that is toy/game related.
Mojacko, Doraemon, Voltes V, Daimos. The old classic ones almost don't have any.

I would say AnoHana. And Durarara!! I guess. I don't remember any sort of fan service on them.

And I would like to add that fillers isn't just there to prevent manga from catching up, but fillers serve as fan service as well.
Jan 26, 2012 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
Baccano, and monster spring to mind. although now that I think about it...fanservice does dominate a lot of anime doesn't it?
Jan 26, 2012 8:12 PM

Feb 2010
As many others have said, a lot of anime has little to no fanservice in it. I'm no ecchi fan, and I try to stay away from it. :P
Jan 26, 2012 8:25 PM

May 2011
What you're looking for is Highschool DxD.
Jan 26, 2012 10:26 PM

Jan 2012
-Shuda- said:

Your post makes me laugh with laughter and cry with tears!
Jan 26, 2012 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
Jroflcopter said:

Mirai Shounen Conan

Very nice one, that one. :)

Well, many titles have been given already. I'd like to add many 70/80s shows but I'm afraid I watched them censored (not 100% sure about it) so I'd rather not name you those.

It is possible to find animes without fanservice as you described it in your first post but it is difficult and requires more energy than usual. :)
Jan 27, 2012 1:37 AM

Jul 2010
The only thing that comes to my mind is shojo anime. Obviously they have no fanservice.
Jan 27, 2012 2:43 AM

Jun 2009
animelly said:
The only thing that comes to my mind is shojo anime. Obviously they have no fanservice.

Not really true, there is such a thing as male fan service. Take Utena for example, it gets to a point where two male characters randomly strip off their shirts and sit on the hood of cars while cruising down the road. I'm convinced the series was making fun of fan service there, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 27, 2012 5:30 AM

Jul 2011
kaiji and akagi are definitely ones without fanservice, their female characters look so ugly that you;ll probably wanna cut off your own nut sack

hey hey, do you have smoked cheeze?
Nyoro~n
Jan 27, 2012 5:40 AM

May 2009
Binchou-tan is not focused on fanservice. Same with Kamichu! There's a whole bunch of them including Tsumiki no Ie.
Jan 27, 2012 6:19 AM

Sep 2008
Nudity does not always =/= Fanservice

Example Paprika and Perfect Blue have nudity and sexual situations in them but it's used to illustrate a point or establish a tone, not try to give the audience a boner.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 27, 2012 9:49 AM
Dec 2011
-Shuda- said:

LMAO!!!

Seriously, Ano Hana didn't have any fan service and neither did Usagi Drop. There's plenty with very very little, but with NONE it's harder to find (even US animation will have a bit).

"Another" doesn't seem to have what I would consider fanservice aside from 2 naked dolls sitting on a couch in episode 2.
Jan 27, 2012 10:43 AM

Apr 2011
Dennou Coil is the best I've seen without any fanservice. Great series.

Also:

Manabi Straight
Aria
Jan 27, 2012 10:45 AM

Nov 2008
Tamayura and Kokoro Library

Usagi Drop

Jan 27, 2012 11:50 AM
Sep 2011
That's one thing I liked about Nichijou. An anime centered around school girls, yet it avoids fanservice entirely?

Precure is another good example. Magical Girls anime in general has a habit of avoiding fanservice despite featuring girls in mini skirts fighting monsters.

Usually the fanservice comes from the transformation sequences, but in the case of Heartcatch, even that is tasteful. And gorgeous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28c0Bj-SBtU
Jan 27, 2012 12:02 PM

Jul 2008
Wait wait..whats wrong with fanservice? "Dat shit is awesome."
XD
Jan 27, 2012 12:18 PM

Jul 2009
To my knowledge, series's that lack sexual fanservice are:
- Studio Ghibli films (in general)
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Level E
- Shiki
- Pokemon and it's movies
- Texhnolyze (fan disservice)
- Durarara
- Baccano
- Midoka
- Natsume Yuujincho
- Hellsing/ultimate
- Fruits Basket (depending on your perspective)
- Michiko to Hatchin (ignoring outfits)
- Berserk (fan disservice)

Jan 28, 2012 8:29 AM

Jan 2012
Queen_Stars said:
To my knowledge, series's that lack sexual fanservice are:
- Studio Ghibli films (in general)
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Level E
- Shiki
- Pokemon and it's movies
- Texhnolyze (fan disservice)
- Durarara
- Baccano
- Midoka
- Natsume Yuujincho
- Hellsing/ultimate
- Fruits Basket (depending on your perspective)
- Michiko to Hatchin (ignoring outfits)
- Berserk (fan disservice)

no. Durarara shouldnt be on the list.
Jan 28, 2012 9:11 AM

Oct 2010
Tiago97 said:
Mirai Shounen Conan

I see this and raise you Akage no Anne.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

18 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
8 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

6 by traed »»
10 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

51 by EastIndiaCompany »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.