Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 26, 2016 9:44 PM

Mar 2015
This is the third episode I watched regarding smoking prohibition. First for Gintama and second for Sekai Seifuku.
Fee is unstoppable for the sake of smoking, LOL.

I can understand the terrorist ideal doe.

4.4/5
Nov 20, 2016 5:00 AM

Jan 2013
This episode was real fun and entertaining, one of the bests so far
Jan 14, 2017 9:39 PM

Apr 2014
sighhhhh i guess even this anime has stupid love misunderstandings. i actually kinda like Ai x the hot pilot guy but i'm 99% sure it's not going anywhere. plus i feel like Ai is not interested in him at all, oh well
belovingJan 14, 2017 9:44 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2017 1:36 AM
Aug 2014
I felt so bad for Fee, even if she was trying to smoke....I should have known she was going to crack at some point, just glad it came at a good point where she could put that maddening rage to good use...and damn she is one scary mother fucker when she's mad. (Addiction is also pretty scary lol)

RIP Toy Boy...I hope they suit her + half section with a better ship for saving Seven (and maybe her own smoking room in half section?) and in the end...she got that smoke.
Aug 4, 2017 2:04 PM

Jun 2013
We Black Lagoon now. I wonder what their next ship will be like...

I really can't give a hoot about the romance subplot. I know the series is tagged as romance but I expected it to be a bit more mature. Even some high school romances handle it better. Chien-Shin and Lucie seem like purely filler characters and that bugs me greatly. It just takes time away from all the interesting things.
Aug 17, 2018 11:41 PM

May 2015
RIP Toy Box
You will be missed.
Nov 13, 2018 2:27 PM

Sep 2011
After that preview I thought that we were in for another poignant, and serious episode, but this one was pretty funny so you won't hear me complaining about it. lol I mean, the bombings, and the threat were there, but this was mostly about Fee's spiritual, and physical battle to be able to smoke a cigarette. I can't sympathize with her though, it would be for the better if she stopped smoking, but her plight was certainly entertaining, and she ended up saving humanity's place in space by risking her life for a cigarette. lol

As for Tanabe and Hachimaki's troubled relationship, I really dislike the way he talks about her, and he even does it to her face too, not caring if it's going to hurt her or not, calling her weird, and stuff. Tanabe is wrong too, she was just using Cheng-Shin because she thought that Hachimaki was going to start dating Lucie. Lucie is being awful too, she is most certainly right about Tanabe's feelings, but this is no reason to try to force her into a relationship just to save her chances with a guy who likes Tanabe, but welp.
Mar 11, 2019 5:30 PM

Feb 2012
I love how Fee is such a crazy badass this episode and gets better after each seen. Saving the space station was number 1 followed by trying to light a cigarette AFTER the explosion.

Sitting relaxed and smoking on a life-raft after you saved so many people. 👌

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 11, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2012
Didn't notice the first time around watching this but during the terrorist broadcast, the ones mining helium 3 on the moon were the Lunar Flying Squirrel ninjas, the man and woman working on Earth were the parents that tried to commit suicide on the ship to the moon and I think Clifford, the INTO chairman's son that Tanabe punched, was at a nightclub or bar.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 5, 2019 4:32 AM
Oct 2018
Stating the obvious, but this is such a good series. As a smoker, I especially love this episode, and Fee in general.

But as someone else said- the one shortcoming with Planetes is the way it handles romance sub-plots. The adults act like middle-school kids. they should have just dropped the romance stuff altogether, imo.
Apr 14, 2020 6:46 PM
Jul 2013
Brati said:
I detected a love triangle! Tanabe is in love with Cien-Shin. But Lucie is also in Love with Cien-Shin. Tanabe is dating him already, so Lucie is trying to get Hachimaki to date Tanabe so that Cien-Shin is free. Drama will be ensured.

Fee got really lucky this episode. First of all she survived a terrorist bombing. Then she gets really lucky because she is unable to smoke her cigarette despite of all her efforts.

The anti-smoking officer in front of the smoking room was reeally enthusiastic. I wonder how an argument between him and Spike Spiegel would take place.

Oh. A useless bit of trivia I just found. Spike Spiegel ist the first Charakter in the MAL-Character database. Therefore his page entry gets the ID 1. Congratulations to him. Well that has absolutely nothing to do with this anime episode.

Well Cowboy bebop is number 1 so this should come as no surprise.

The way I see the triangle, it's Tanabe and Hachimaki slowly falling for each other without realising until now, Lucie in love with Cheng-Shin, and Cheng-Shin interested in Tanabe.
I have to agree with opinions that smoking in space stations seems ridiculous, but I think it's a better option to have it allowed in designated space than to ban it outright. Considering the number of people going through these stations there would always be someone who would try smoking anyway, and that could be even more dangerous.
Jul 1, 2020 5:32 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
She really needs to quit smoking xD this is why it's totally dumb to smoke xD but it was really funny
Dec 11, 2020 5:02 AM

Jul 2017
As a guy who would formerly smoke myself, can relate pretty damn hard with Fee this episode. Never interrupt a person and their smoke sessions for too long. Fun episode as a whole for sure.
May 12, 2021 5:32 AM

Mar 2020
In the time between the previous episode and this one I read through the entire Planetes manga. I finally understand the people who rag on the anime for being substantially worse than the manga because I thought this episode was completely unbearable.

Easily the most disappointing revelation upon revisiting the anime was how they handled Hachimaki. While I think the warmth of Planetes comes from Tanabe the general tone of the series is hinged on Hachimaki, where the atmosphere is more stoic in the manga but more comedic within the anime. Obviously, the latter is more contextually appropriate due to the setting and themes of belonging. That's not to say there can't be comedy in this adaptation, but the problem is that the source material has very little of it due to it being introspective and character-driven. The growth within Hachimaki's character (although admittely quite minimal within the manga) is going to be a complete tonal clash with how he's been handled in the anime, which essentially just portrays him as an idiot.

I'm actually contemplating dropping this series. I didn't think the manga would ruin my perception of the anime this much. They even managed to mess up the ending of this episode, which is easily the most memorable part of the entire series for me. If you're enjoying the anime the same way I was please don't take the manga pill (or do you can be cool like us)
Sep 15, 2021 10:07 PM
Apr 2021
OH YEAH the power of S M O K I N G
Nov 23, 2021 2:38 PM

Nov 2016
Smoking is deadly.

This was the ideal change of pace after the last episode. Hilarious chain of mistfortune followed by descend into madness and a badass kamikaze stunt. I love Fee, she deserved her cigarette.

Another 5/5 episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 2, 2022 9:13 AM
Nov 2020
I dedicate this episode to all my smoker classmates.
Feb 15, 2022 6:17 AM

Dec 2007
totally fee episode. the end was so great and funny, wants more of it lol.
wonder if this terrorist plot would serve more than this episode.

oh, and the love triangle getting out of hand.
Sep 13, 2022 10:07 PM
Jul 2016
Great ode to cigarrettes
Jan 11, 2023 5:26 PM
Aug 2022
Perfect. Such a great e12. Really enjoying so far.
Feb 8, 2023 10:43 PM
Feb 2023
Fee Carmichael is among the bossest b*tch*es in all anime lore no joke.  1) Motoko 2) Fee 3) Revy 4) Winry 

The satisfaction of landing in the middle of the indian ocean and FINALLY having a smoke.  
Mar 30, 2023 6:43 AM

Jul 2022
She was literally the hero of humanity just because she couldn't smoke xDD
Mar 25, 6:22 PM

Dec 2022
If none of the previous episodes jumped the shark, then this one definitely did.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.