Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 29, 2013 1:33 PM

May 2012
Nice episode focusing a bit more on Huang, for me wasn't really that interesting but in global it wasn't all to bad!
May 30, 2013 2:53 PM

Jun 2012
to bad Hei didn't just shoot the shit out of Huang but I got some more respect for Huang so doesn't bother me to much.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 15, 2013 4:00 PM
Mar 2013
I don't really like this anime; this whole 'crushing hopes' thing is really taking it out of me. There's such thing as too much negativity.
Yeah, I know, this random dude and a doll who I didn't give a flying dungbat about had a happy ending.
Jul 4, 2013 1:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Zepwich said:
That scene in the middle with the montage of all the different contacters was amazing.

Definitely, although we've seen it many times, the emotionless contractors while using their powers and their eyes glowing red, it's more apparent when you see all of them consecutively like that, just how different they are from normal people. I really liked what Alma (I think that's her name?) said while she was on her deathbed, that was an insightful conversation. And once again we get see that Hei isn't completely emotionless or does things just because the syndicate tells him to, he's not doing things just so that he can live, but is willing to risk his own life to help others.

And wow those two obeisances, the aging and the feelings returning, it sucks that some people have way worse obeisances than others. I mean come one, how simple is it to eat hard boiled eggs in return for destructive powers? Or drink hot milk? I guess you're just unlucky if you get horrible obeisances D: I wonder what Hei's is. But anyways, this anime is so depressing x__x almost every mini arc someone dies.
Aug 1, 2013 8:34 PM

Sep 2011
Fk.

That was so heart wrenching since I was anticipating it the whole time. >:(
Aug 18, 2013 1:47 PM

Feb 2013
It sucks that she died.
I used to think Huang is an asshole but after this ep, I feel bad for him.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Sep 25, 2013 3:08 PM

Aug 2012
The girl's suicide doesn't make much sense to me. The syndicate is clearly aware that Huang failed to kill the girl and that Hei with Mao neglected their orders. It's unreasonable to assume that the syndicate is going to ignore that after the girl's suicide...
And where was Yin during all this...
Loved this episode nonetheless. I hope to see the syndicate's end.
Nov 4, 2013 8:15 PM

Apr 2013
I actually liked what they did with Huang. I thought he was your typical mafia thug who just did what he was told but what they did with his character was awesome. I enjoyed this episode.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 24, 2014 2:12 AM

Jul 2013
man I actually want them to live happily ever after.. you know marriage and have kids and stuff... but well

either way I love this arc
Feb 23, 2014 12:43 PM

Jul 2010
lol
Jul 6, 2014 8:28 PM

Oct 2013
well that was depressing my least fav arc so far
[/quote]
Jul 25, 2014 5:07 PM

Jan 2012
Wow. that was sad... good story.
Sep 4, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
It was kind of obvious how it was going to end. But I want to know what this syndicate is, so far, I think Hei will destroy it sooner or later.
Sep 13, 2014 10:39 PM

Apr 2014
I figured Shihoko was going to kill herself. This was the best way it could end though. At least Hei'll be (somewhat) out of trouble with the syndicate.

However depressing it was, I liked this arc. :-)
Nov 19, 2014 3:34 AM

Oct 2013
is the syndicate gonna be happy enough with that?
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 21, 2014 1:57 AM

Sep 2014
The feels are real :(
The afternoon has gently passed me by
The evening spreads its sail against the sky
Waiting for tomorrow
Just another day
God bid yesterday goodbye...
Dec 21, 2014 3:32 AM

Oct 2014
I feel so sorry for Huang. So organization can control contractors' behaviours
Jan 31, 2015 12:59 PM

Mar 2013
Next episode Wei is back
Mar 3, 2015 7:57 PM

Jul 2014
Until now this show was simply a nice "rule of cool" action flick but with Huang's backstory and stand alone episodes it took a steer into the right path. Very well handled with an aura of maturity. Fleshed out his character while providing layered characterization. He's the hardass of the group, but the only properly fleshed out character too.
Jul 15, 2015 12:24 PM

May 2015
What's with all the random raining?
Jul 15, 2015 12:26 PM

May 2015
PrimeX said:
man I actually want them to live happily ever after.. you know marriage and have kids and stuff... but well
That would make the arc "narrow-minded."
Aug 7, 2015 1:32 AM

Jun 2014
really enjoyed this ep. sad.. :(
:3
Nov 30, 2015 3:56 AM
May 2012
Aw man, what the hell :/
Fuck this syndicate.
Feb 27, 2016 3:15 AM
Feb 2016
My favourite episode of the series thus far. What makes Darker than Black stand out among your typical superhero shows that are all flash on the surface with zany super-powers display is that it uses this common genre trope to further communicate and emphasize viewers on the human condition and values that make us who we are. It's reasonable to understand why since superheroes themselves are iconic, exaggerated and a caricature of some big picture ideas. The use of symbolism through "comic heroes" draws parallels to movies like Dark Knight and such.

I enjoyed particularly of the set-up of the arc in general (both episodes 19 and 20) because the themes and philosophy that were hinted subtly through Hei over the course of the series so far were fleshed out more here. Likewise, it was also creative in a way that was actually meta; the concept of emotion to express the psychology of emotions of contractors. I'm referring to Shihoko's obeisance in regaining her human emotions which is a brilliant concept to explore. Also, I really love how this arc constantly invites viewers into thinking whether or not her obeisance of regaining emotions temporarily is actually a "price", "burden" or/and a bad thing. It's also important to note about the scenes when Shihoko mentioned that losing one's memories is associated as death and Alma's exposition scenes of the difference between humans and contractors and her place in the story as a character. This added layer of interpretation towards the role of emotions affecting Contractors in relation to humans (within what values that shape who they are) really brings a natural progression to the complexity of the show's main themes. Ultimately, you can sum it up from Hei's quote at the end of episode 20 that "Contractors are still people."

Add to the fact that we finally get an interesting character origin backstory that adds both to a needed character and story world-building. I initially dislike Huang as a character through his gruff, jaded, business-like personality although it's reasonable to understand why in his line of work. However, after this arc, we really feel sympathetic to Huang (from his perspective) because it was logically understandable to why he exhibit a resent to Contractors in the first place after that incident with Shihoko and the Syndicate. Unlike other episodic arcs, Huang's one was particularly relevant and necessary because it still tied to the show's universe on a holistic level (both setting and its ideals).
Icarus_primeMar 2, 2016 4:33 AM
Mar 4, 2016 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
Aging? That has to be one of the worst remuneration ever.

I'm definitely seeing Huang in a new light now, thank god he didn't turned out to be a one-dimensional character like I previously thought.

Maybe not a major one, but I would like to see an improvement in Huang's and Hei's relationship after this arc.
Mar 16, 2016 6:36 AM

Jul 2008
Damn it after all the crap Wong has pulled, now I'm starting to like him.
May 22, 2016 2:26 AM

Feb 2016
sad to see that shihoko died however i saw it coming. hei finally seems to understand the value of contractors and humans. maybe he will revolt against the syndicate any time in the future now.
Jul 27, 2016 12:53 AM

Dec 2013
I actually felt really bad for Huang at the end.
Aug 18, 2016 11:43 PM

Sep 2013
Not sure why she had to die...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 18, 2016 12:39 AM
Aug 2016
i just recently start watching this anime, when i see this anime, i think this is he first time but when it reach episode 20, everything change, suddenly my memories about darker than black make a come back, may be this episode is one of "that" that can change how people think about something that they know well. you know ho huang "usually"
Jan 1, 2017 3:15 PM

Feb 2016
Good episode but three small issues at the start bugged me

1) Mao goes on an espionage mission still brings his bell necklace? Can't be going out without style yo.

2) Can pay for expensive buildings but not more security cameras? Seems legit.

3) Always the same black crow either in urban areas or in forresty places. A bit lazy if you ask me.
Cloud_IllusionsJan 1, 2017 3:24 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jul 12, 2017 4:55 PM

May 2010
Well, that ended rather abruptly :v
Dec 26, 2017 6:50 AM

Mar 2016
Where did Huang did a mistake as Hei told him?

Jan 9, 2019 10:45 PM

Feb 2015
Gorgeous episode and amazing story arc - my favorite ep(s) in this show so far. Amazing writing, cinematic animation, perfect music. So heartbreaking tho - I was really hoping Huang and Shihoko would manage just somehow to escape. It was an unusual and beautiful love story where they didn't have to have the super hot couple fall in love instead the man with ugly face that and the cute pretty girl - especially that of a non-teenage couple. Loved it.

Jun 19, 2019 6:00 AM

Sep 2012
addictoholic said:
I don't really like this anime; this whole 'crushing hopes' thing is really taking it out of me. There's such thing as too much negativity.
Yeah, I know, this random dude and a doll who I didn't give a flying dungbat about had a happy ending.

u think she didn't care, man ur blind dolls have emotions to, they just don't know how to express them, but in the end she showed clear emotions, also same thing is said about contractors but few already incuding hei have shown emotions and heart
Aug 29, 2019 3:38 AM

Jan 2014
Damn so Shihoko committed suicide to save Huang and Hei from the retaliation of the syndicate who were already 5 steps ahead of them waiting for them at the docks.

Also, what a price to pay for a power. Plus, it got me to reconsider the behaviors of contractors we have seen before with that montage. Yeah seems most are colder and missing that key element of human warmth and empathy (except in extreme cases where they have connections to others) looking back at how they behave. Since Shihoko when she was with Huang and happy he helped her regain an important piece of herself that her power took away.

Huang is also right about how erasing a memory of a person kills someone twice. The way to erase someone from existence is to get people to forget about them; a very insidious method employed by the syndicate.

Great episode that got me glassy eyed towards the end. I was really hoping Huang and Shihoko could escape and be happy together but sadly some happy memories were not meant to be happy tomorrows.

Jan 11, 2020 10:07 PM
Dec 2019
This episode is interesting from a meta perspective. It obviously uses the "Was it all a lie? No, not all of it" thing where one person seduces another for an ulterior motive but ends up actually falling in love. And yes, the way it was going you knew she'd die at the end. It's an easy pull on the heartstrings. And yet, does this mean these episodes are bad just because they use a cliche?

For some, they would probably just roll their eyes and I can't blame them for that. However, it is the execution of the trope that really makes it work for me, overcoming its predictability. Shihoko showed enough personality through her dialogue and actions that she felt like a likable person. Huang also did, but the fact that it's a romance with a guy that looks like Frank from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia does a lot to bring out the detail and texture. It also means that the writing was strong enough to get you to invest in an ugly character; having a pretty face in a romance story usually does half the work in getting viewers to believe that a character is lovable.

DtB also employs the cliche of cold, heartless killers/ robotic characters actually have emotions and it seems like this episode is the capitulation of the exploration of this theme. Again, another easy tug on the heartstrings. I'm more ambivalent about this trope and whether or not it's executed well. The first level of this trope is with normal humans who've been turned into killing machines. The last level would be robot killing machines. With the first level, it's almost always stupid because of course human beings would have emotions. It's not exactly a surprise that even the most coldhearted of killers feel something. The last level, on the other hand, is also annoying for the opposite reason- robots develop emotions because they're characters in the story and the writers just have them start behaving more human. The viewer feels sad because robots are innocent and cold but now they're innocent and warm. In the middle of these levels lies the potential for a genuine attempt to explore what it means to be a psychopath. What happens when your brain literally lacks the chemicals/tissue needed for empathy? Are you less than human, then?

This idea was explored pretty well in Daredevil Season 3 with Bullseye, a character that fits all too well into DtB, so much so that I wish they went back and made an episode about him. Bullseye has the ability to throw any object with pinpoint accuracy and maximum lethality, but he's been clinically diagnosed as a psychopath from a young age. This means that he can't feel other people's emotions. He'll kill someone for a rational reason and won't understand why it's wrong. He works with a psychologist, who has to use reason to impart a moral system onto Bullseye. The show flirts with the idea of Bullseye falling in love, but the entire time it's unclear if he's actually in love or if she just fills the role of his dead psychologist by providing moral guidance. Bullseye starts off with earnest intentions to try to do good by finding a moral "North Star" but it's shown that it's just as easy for him to descend into villainy without a second thought when the moral system no longer makes sense to him or if he doesn't have that North Star.

DtB has a very similar character with the boy with two different eye colors, who's shown having to memorize things to say in a social setting. Otherwise, its approach to contractors, who are basically psychopaths, is to just have them develop emotions by being with people that make them care. This might be simplifying the problem too much, but since I like the show's presentation, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps a more interesting idea here is that having emotions does not necessarily lead to being a good person. Most people are fully capable to being empathetic in theory because the chemicals for emotions are all there. And yet their behavior isn't all that different from that of contractors. It is those who behave the most like contractors by adopting rational emotionless thinking that get ahead in life. If DtB is focusing on this idea, then it's actually making a great point and adds a meaningful message on top of a well executed crime drama. (That's right, it's not really an action show with some emotion, it's a drama with some action). One way it could focus on this idea is by having strong human antagonists in person, rather than a shadowy organization that the viewer conceptualizes as some nebulous group rather than an individual.
RecynonJan 11, 2020 10:16 PM
Dec 30, 2020 3:40 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty good albeit predictable episode, that ending was destined to be as Shihoko sacrifices herself to let Huang live on, she knew that she truly couldn't run away with him forever and wanted him to be safe after catching the sight of a Syndicate member. Poor Huang, even Hei too to a degree since he as a Contractor, encouraged them to run away together and for Shihoko, another Contractor, to accept her feelings and now throw them away because she isn't a regular human.
Jan 2, 2021 3:42 PM
Apr 2016
Huang is the last person you'd expect to have a romance storyline in this show, but nonetheless it was actually pretty good - credits go to the author, he actually crafted a fairly good side-story with him.
Jul 2, 2021 2:21 PM

Jan 2020
Started with getting hit by truck.
Ended with getting hit by truck.
Aug 12, 2021 7:49 AM

Mar 2019
Kind of a sad ending, but at least Huang can stay with those 2. As for Hei, I actually expected him to kill them. Aging as a remuneration is a weird one, because what happens to you is permanent, unlike all the others and also, Shihoko's one is interesting. Though Hei's remuneration is still the biggest question and also WHO IS MAO? We've only seen him in that cat form, I like him, hopefully nothing happened between him and Hei after what happened now, but who is Mao. We've seen Huang's past now, I'm guessing the cat comes next? Only 5 episodes left though.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 2, 2021 10:05 PM

Aug 2018
Yeah I knew she would kill herself... good episode

Jan 7, 2023 7:28 PM

Jan 2020
It is still very vague what exactly the Syndicate is and how much influence it holds. But isn't it very stupid of them to act as if they could kill their contractors for minor screw ups or not obeying orders?

From what the show has established so far, it seems like contractors are quite rare, especially skilled ones like Hei. I just don't see a way for such an organization to sustain itself for very long. Unless of course they can make their own contractors. Or have a contractor with an incredibly powerful ability that is yet to be revealed, similar to Amber's apparant time-controlling powers.

As metioned we still lack information so all of this could still be explained. Just something that's be bothering me.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Mar 3, 2023 12:26 AM

Dec 2022
Bit of a rushed ending to this episode. Huang is obviously a main character and wouldn't actually end up "running away" and being put on a bus, and warehouse scenes are always trouble. Then Shihoko just runs in front of a truck and dies in a few seconds. Sort of unsatisfying after all that build-up and narrative.

To be honest, I expected Shihoko to take the gun and shoot herself when they were reluctant to do it, but she ended up doing something functionally identical to that anyway. The religious subplot also ended up being completely irrelevant, as expected. Leader was already on her deathbed, and then ended her own life after talking to Hei about contractors. Makes me wonder why they were even presented as a problem to begin with.

Shaded Horizon

May 25, 2023 12:12 PM
Jun 2015
It’s like no one can have a happy ending here. The only one I’ve seen is my mans ale Jo and the doll (that is if they don’t get hunted).

I’m glad that Hei is started to have a heart, and decided not to kill Huang for disobeying orders. I knew they wouldn’t have escaped, so the woman sacrificed herself. Looks like she really did care for him.
Jul 9, 2023 5:37 PM
Mar 2021
at this point, looks like the syndicate is gonna be the enemy of the last 5 episodes.
i don't see correlations between arcs at all, just the syndicate giving Hei and co. some weird pointless missions.
did i forget something important?
Aug 5, 2023 4:21 AM

Apr 2013
Guess she got isekai'd, good job Truck-kun.
Nov 8, 2023 6:33 PM

Sep 2023
Bruv, that soundtrack from 4:32 to around 5:00 was AWESOME. I mean, it wasn't hardcore but the riffing of that guitar had some wicked vibes. Anyone know how to find the source? As in, name of song and artist, or whatever?

Gonna be that guy and say that I think Mao is the smartest one in the group in terms of sensibility and rationality. It's becoming too cliche for them not to get in trouble for disobeying orders.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.