Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer short, medium or long animes? Please briefly explain why.

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jun 19, 2012 10:20 PM

I just did a statistics check on MAL graph and the plurality for anime I've watched is one cour shows. Hell when you look at my favorites list it literally goes from shortest to longest.

Jun 19, 2012 10:29 PM

I like short to medium Anime. HATE long animes like One piece or Naruto..... One piece's story line is just too BS...

Jun 19, 2012 10:51 PM

--Vaultkai101-- said:
I like short to medium Anime. HATE long animes like One piece or Naruto..... One piece's story line is just too BS...

It's funny how you hate something you (according to your list) never actually seen.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

Jun 19, 2012 10:53 PM

Well it depends on the long anime, but normally I go for the target 12 or 24 episode animes.

Jun 19, 2012 10:55 PM
--Vaultkai101-- said:

What the fuck are you talking about? OP's story is indefinitely legit.
Do you have any clue what the plot is about and how well Oda has mixed the seriousness and Humor in the story?

Jun 20, 2012 8:42 AM
LLawlietFan said:
Generally I like to watch around 24-26 episode long series. However, it all really depends on the anime. There are some shows that are better short, and others that take a good fifty episodes or so for the plot to be executed correctly and for maximum character development.

Then, there's those extremely long shounen anime like Bleach and Naruto which really shouldn't be that long since the plot isn't going anywhere. Oh well, some people like those shows, so it's not my place to bash on them.

Naruto and bleach do drag it on too long. Filler arcs are just crazy.

Jun 20, 2012 8:50 AM
The shorter, the better.

Jun 20, 2012 9:00 AM

I like short anime 11-15 episodes useless the story needs more for develop properly.

Jun 20, 2012 9:05 AM

If it's good - it can be airing forever :) . But by watching at anime ecconomy, we can observe that long running series must be liked by the masses if they want to stay in the market. So they must share some traits which are liked by most people in the best selling age range. And I do not like these traits.
So it's hard to tell. I would say 11-26 episodes is best range to fit an intresting material and not make the series boring. But it depends on specific anime.

Jun 20, 2012 9:06 AM

I personally prefer the shorter ones from about 15 episodes. Though this is mainly because I tend to be really busy and really want to see the plot in what little time I have available. I don't really mind if they're longer ones, I just tend to be too busy to watch them fully so I often pause halfway through to give me some room to watch other animes.

But I suppose that in general I prefer the short animes, though I'm also cool with it if they're around 25 episodes or even longer. I'll just get around watching them less often.

Jun 22, 2012 10:00 PM

Typically short. Because even though I might have liked that anime initially, it may feel dragged out if it's too long.
I do like some medium long ones though.
Long ones I hate. Used to watch those shounen ones. Now I can't stand them for their story and the length.

Jun 22, 2012 10:38 PM

Short and medium..
Dear Shiina Mashiro! Best Wishes to us <3

Jun 22, 2012 10:54 PM

Itlis said:
Long ones I hate. Used to watch those shounen ones. Now I can't stand them for their story and the length.

Sucks for you. All the long running shows I watched are still enjoyable and some are even getting better than when I started them. Maybe it really isn't about length but attention span.

Jun 22, 2012 10:56 PM

Well, everything's relative.
Rurouni Kenshin could have been way shorter and Kamichama Karin could have been at least 26 episodes longer.
If it makes sense to have a long anime, then I will watch it. As much as I love Rurouni Kenshin, I feel the last ark was completely unnecessary. 97 episodes was way too much. At least they should have killed the last ark to make the third one better. Either that or kill everything post-Shishio altogether.
Card Captor Sakura was a whooping 57 episodes long. It could have been a few episodes longer (60, mayhaps?) for it to make complete sense. Nevertheless, I loved that thing.
I feel most 12-eps long anime are fine, at least for what I have watched. It wouldn't make sense to make them much longer.

In short, I will watch anything as long as its length is justified. Doesn't matter if it's long, short, or medium.

Jun 22, 2012 10:57 PM

kurizenT said:
Short and medium..

Jun 22, 2012 11:56 PM

Anime should be long enough to explain the story fully without destroying the integrity of the original work. If 12 episodes will do it fine, but if the pacing is rushed in comparison to the manga then its flawed. Also some anime are extended due to popularity, DBZ/GT being one example. It should have ended at DBZ's end, the GT was ok and it added a level of completeness but it was lacking the feel of the first two story lines in my opinion.
Personally, i prefer medium paced anime due to a more complete story progression and better character development, 26-100 episodes. I also watch my anime in 2-3 hour bursts which is the equivalent of one Hollywood blockbuster. If you've got time to see a movie you have time for roughly 6-8 anime episodes, depending on total free time and actually anime time length. It's a method I've used to watch long anime that have already been released or still airing but are way ahead of me.
Modified by Demonwynd, Jun 23, 2012 12:02 AM

Jun 24, 2012 12:26 AM
Demonwynd said:
Anime should be long enough to explain the story fully without destroying the integrity of the original work. If 12 episodes will do it fine, but if the pacing is rushed in comparison to the manga then its flawed. Also some anime are extended due to popularity, DBZ/GT being one example. It should have ended at DBZ's end, the GT was ok and it added a level of completeness but it was lacking the feel of the first two story lines in my opinion.
Personally, i prefer medium paced anime due to a more complete story progression and better character development, 26-100 episodes. I also watch my anime in 2-3 hour bursts which is the equivalent of one Hollywood blockbuster. If you've got time to see a movie you have time for roughly 6-8 anime episodes, depending on total free time and actually anime time length. It's a method I've used to watch long anime that have already been released or still airing but are way ahead of me.

GT should never of been created, same for the Buu saga. Both are far from canon. The series ended when Cell died, along with Goku, FOREVER.

Jun 24, 2012 9:09 AM

as long as it is good, I don't mind
But I usually prefers between medium and long animes

Jun 24, 2012 9:21 AM
I tend to like shorter anime than longer ones. There are times I've wanted to see One Piece because of people telling to me to see it but it has over 560 episodes. There's no way I'm gonna watch all of that. Also with longer anime, they just seem to drag too long and I lose interest. Only long series that didn't do that to me was Yu Yu Hakusho. Short and sweet is the way to go for me.

Jun 24, 2012 9:37 AM

Medium animes pack the most punch for me.
Short animes leave me painfully wanting for more.
Long animes make me yawn from needless filler episodes.
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Jun 24, 2012 9:38 AM

It varies on the story. Something like Bleach, i've followed for years......I've actually a lot to catch up on....However, i find myself immersed in the world of Bleach when i do get a chance to watch it. Something about it compels me to watch.

I've never gotten into Naruto or One Piece....So as far as those go....I'm not particularly keen on setting myself up to watch those series.....It's just way too much of a hassle that i can't really be bothered with, since i honestly don't care for either particularly anyway.

So it all comes down to if the anime is worth watching and dedicating that much time into it really, well regarding said person's taste accordingly. Generally though, if i watch an anime and don't make it to episode 5, it's safe to assume that it's not something that caught my interest. How many episodes an anime has is completely irrelevant to me.

However it does annoy me to see people say "X show was good until X". To me, the only reason an anime would be bad if it had so many episodes would be that they keep adding on stories and they have yet to complete ones that have already been set in motion. Mostly annoying is that, in regards to long anime....The relationships between the main characters are never resolved which are annoying.

Take for example Rukia and Orihime(sp?). How many years has Bleach been running and they have yet decided who will be with Ichigo? It just makes me want to smack the developers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 25, 2012 9:42 PM

I prefer short since they're much easier to finish, but with something that I really enjoy I'd hope that it's medium length. I can live with long series, but at that point it feels that it never ends and they fill a majority of the episodes with filler.

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I have a much easier time STARTING short and sometimes medium length series, but if it's something high quality that maintains that quality throughout the series, then being long isn't that much of a problem.

IDEK.

Jun 25, 2012 10:39 PM

I like medium or long as long as i can catch them before they go to far.

Jun 26, 2012 12:40 AM

It really depends on if the anime is interesting enough for me. I would watch maybe the first few episodes then judge if I should continue or not which means If its good then I don't mind how many episodes.
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess"

Jun 26, 2012 12:43 AM

dude think about the kids watching anime...

xxx is hentai btw..

nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan Forever!

Jun 26, 2012 12:27 PM

26 is a nice number

Jun 26, 2012 12:31 PM

I think any anime that has some clear end and meaning throughout/for a majority of the series is good. Shonen series tend to be long and tedious, filled with a lot of filler. I don't think you really have to classify anime as short, medium, or long because a long anime can feel short and a short anime can feel long. It depends on how interesting the series is to you, at that initial episode or the series as a whole.

Jun 27, 2012 7:50 PM
Ghost in the API

Medium please.

Jun 27, 2012 8:11 PM

For the most part 12 episode anime. But sometimes I to to 20+ anime.

I also like short ones like 6 OVA.

Only long ones I watch/watched were DB/Z/GT and One Piece. And Samurai X to an extent.

Jun 27, 2012 9:00 PM

24-26ish is my liking.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU

Jun 27, 2012 9:32 PM

Short, so 12ish episodes. 24ish episodes put me off, but i still watch them in the end. One of the reasons i've yet to watch Clannad is because it's two 24 episode seasons, despite knowing i will more than likely love it.
I don't even look at a show with more than 100 episodes.

Jun 27, 2012 9:34 PM

23 - 24 but there's no point since I don't watch a show by weekly anyway. I wait for a series to be finish airing before I start watching it.

Jun 28, 2012 12:57 AM

All 3. There are anime I like from all types. E.g: Short - Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Medium - Death Note, Long - Fairy Tail. I don't have a particular preference, so long as the anime itself is good.

Jun 28, 2012 1:00 AM

I like short anime... 12-24 episodes usually hit the mark for me.
But if it's a great series with good story and plot... I'll stay for the long haul!!!!
"Today was a good day." -O'Shea Jackson

Jul 3, 2012 10:07 PM

I don't really care about episode count most of the time; I'll watch anything that catches my interest.

Jul 3, 2012 10:29 PM

I enjoy animes with 12-24 episodes. Not too short, yet not too long.

Jul 3, 2012 10:47 PM
I enjoy medium length.

Jul 3, 2012 11:04 PM

I mostly enjoy short ones that are like 10-30 episodes. I've only watched 1 or 2 medium ones. Both of them I don't find so great. As for long ones, I'm pretty picky about it (I'm thinking of maybe watching One Piece).

Jul 3, 2012 11:27 PM
I know my favorites are usually within the 50 episode range.

Still, people complain about One Piece being so long but I honestly don't care. It's managed to stay interesting and fun, which is amazing. If an anime CAN last that long then all the power to it.

Thinking back on it, I loved marathoning the big three so I guess really long anime do have their place in the industry.

Jul 3, 2012 11:33 PM

Around 12 episodes. Those have the best pacing and I rarely feel bored watching them. For example, Madoka, Angel Beats, High School DxD, FMP The Second Raid, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?, and Haruhi Suzumiya are some of my favorites.

Jul 4, 2012 3:55 AM

Hmm, it's a hard question, I'd say 2x - 3x episodes anime, because it enough time for me to attach to the characters and the storyline, 12 just seems too short.

I also do enjoy long anime like Naruto / Bleach / Fairy Tail, but I'm very picky on these ones -> for ex. I dislike One Piece really bad.

Jul 4, 2012 4:51 AM

Depends on the series.
10 OVA episodes for hellsing ultimate managed to cover the whole manga(only 9 eps are out, but I doubt they'll fail at the end). so its short length is fine.
But I wish series like kodomo no Jikan were longer, the first season covered only 20 chapters, while the 2nd season only had 3 eps.
If they keep the pace, they would have enough source material for 36~ or so more eps.

But overall, I enjoy the medium length anime's more(24-37~ eps). I just noticed i've only rated 3 "short" series above a 8(Baccano!, hellsing:ultimate and kodomo no Jikan).
So i'd say I prefer medium length series.

I haven't found a single long running anime I like, the 2 longest anime i've seen are Monster and FMA:brotherhood.
- http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

Jul 12, 2012 2:28 AM

Lately, creators limit most anime series from 11-13 episodes. Is it enough for you or it kind of left you unsatisfied?

In my case, 11-13 episode-series are fine but if i actually end-up liking that series way too much [Another], i couldn't help myself from wishing it could've been longer.

And with regards to 40 or more, even if the series is undoubtedly awesome [Slamdunk and Kaleido Star], there's a point where i, just a little anyway, lost some interest and enthusiasm in watching. :3

So yeah, 24-26 ones work best for me. ^__^

Jul 12, 2012 2:56 AM
It depends on what the anime requires and production values, really. If an anime requires large number of episodes and the production house is lenient towards its requirement, it does get them; Legend of the Galactic Heroes, for example. If you think an anime like that to be completed within even 25 episodes or so, you can't help but find disgust roaming here and there.

Jul 12, 2012 3:47 AM

By works best I'm assuming you mean is easiest to watch. Depends on how much I'm enjoying the anime overall.

Example: I finished Death Note (37 episodes) within about a week.
It's been a week/almost a week since I started Spice & Wolf (13 episodes) and I'm still on episode 7.

I usually work well with 11 - 13 episodes as opposed to 20+ episodes but it all depends on how much I like it in the end. I prefer half-season anime usually since they're easier to watch/marathon, so I'll go with that.

Jul 12, 2012 3:50 AM
I can think of a good number of anime that despite the fact that they were only 13 episodes long, they were great...however I think that 24-26 episodes is the best given today's abilities.

Jul 12, 2012 3:53 AM

Around 12 to 13.

Jul 12, 2012 3:56 AM

I prefer 24-26. (:

12 isn't long enough, while more than 2x is really engaging and must be really good for me to watch.

Jul 12, 2012 3:58 AM

For most stories I prefer 24-26.

13 seems a bit short for most (such as the aforementioned Another) but for some anime it works. Really all just depends on how much time is truly needed to flesh out the characters and also tell the story.

Any anime that's over 40 or so episodes generally becomes boring for me, however.

Jul 12, 2012 4:13 AM

Pretty much concur with everyone else on here, 24-26 episode is the best length for me. In my opinion it gives enough time to get to know a group of characters, and then enjoy the time spent with them, whilst also telling a good story.
Eyes always lose their fire

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »