Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer short, medium or long animes? Please briefly explain why.

Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jun 15, 2012 10:32 PM

if its a romance i want it long.
if its not then i want it long enough to be decent length without dragging on

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 15, 2012 10:37 PM

Short, usually cause it won't drag too much. Its like quality over quantity.

Jun 15, 2012 10:59 PM

To be honest it actually depend on how good the plot is

Jun 15, 2012 11:05 PM

If I REALLY love the anime, definitely medium like NANA or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood! Otherwise, I like watching double season anime (25) while it's airing because then it lasts longer. However, marathoning 12-episode anime is very enjoyable as well.

Long anime I'm pretty apprehensive about, but I marathoned Fairy Tail when it was at 125 episodes so I guess I do okay with long anime so long as I'm kinda interested (but I skipped all the battle scenes in FT).

Jun 15, 2012 11:13 PM

Length for an anime doesn't really concern me, as it really depends on the plot of the anime itself. Some anime I'll prefer them to be shorter, others I would prefer to be longer. But in general, I'd have to say that I like them all.

Jun 15, 2012 11:18 PM
It really depends on the quality. The length of the anime doesn't always hurt the anime's quality. One Piece is one of the highest quality anime's out there and the way it's structured demands a long series. There is little fillers to be had in the series. Just because you don't have the time or patience doesn't make it undesirable.

Some anime are way too short because they get cut off or screw up somehow, like how Zetman apparently is. The Berserk anime was also messed up and cut off at a cliffhanger. The manga is still going it's 34+ volumes now.

If you watch from the beginning where the series started it's really easy to keep up every week. Even getting caught up isn't that hard.

Jun 15, 2012 11:44 PM

I think I prefer a short or medium series. I say "I think" because I never finished a long ongoing series like Naruto or whatever. So, I'd say anywhere from 1 episode up to maybe over 50 is good.

Jun 16, 2012 12:25 AM

As most people said,they generally don't mind the length depending on the anime.Because all have their own pros & cons that varies from anime to anime & person to person.Personally,I don't mind any length either.

Short length anime:
What I consider short anime are the anime that have about 10 to about 15 episodes.Which is the length of a good amount of anime.To me,short is fine.It's not an optimal length for certain series,but okay.This length works well with mainly the slice-of-life anime.
The Pros:It goes for a more quality over quantity thing & good for the SOL genre.But if done right,it can be good for any genre (like Baccano! or Madoka Magica).It also is good for people who lack the time &/or patience &/or cares more about the destination than the journey.
Cons:If done wrong the anime will leave you wanting more (in a bad way),for some people it's not enough time to feel for the characters,not a good length for some anime (like Angel Beats!) or when adapting with manga that have more then enough content to adapt into longer series (like Medaka Box).

Medium length anime:
Which is any anime from about 20 to about 60 episodes.The length of most anime.To me,this is the minimum length I ask for when watching an airing I love (like Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers).This length is long enough for people to get attached to characters & the story but not to long for the series to Bleach itself,like FMA Brotherhood.This way,the story will have a satisfying end.
Pros:The "not too hot or cold,but just right" length for most anime & fans.
Cons:Still might not be enough when it comes to adapting manga (like in History's Strongest Disciple:Kenich).Go to someone else for anymore,that's all I have.

long length anime:
Anything else longer than about 60 episodes.The length for a small amount of anime & those anime are very well-known.This is general a good length for action & adventure anime,mainly adventure.This one is the preferred length for people who cares more about the journey than the destination.But sometimes,these series succumb to dropping in quality of the story as it succumbs to quantity of episodes.
Pros:Never have to worry about most fans asking for more when they have enough.Give the watchers plenty of time to grow attached to characters.In most cases,the art improves along with the series.Example:One Piece.Good for adapting long manga.
Cons:Fillers if adapting goes too fast for the manga-ka,unnecessarily dragging things on,dropping in quality & screwing up characters & the series (like Naruto & Bleach,in some cases,there is no end in sight & irritates fans who want endings.

Yeah,don't mind any length since it really depends on the anime itself.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

Jun 16, 2012 12:31 AM

As long if it's good i really wouldn't care
Senpapi said:
You gotta eat the booty like groceries

Jun 18, 2012 4:13 PM

12-13 Episode Long Are My Favourite. 24-26 Can Be Good Too, So Long As It Is Executed Well... Though, I Did Watch And Enjoy Both The Fullmetal Alchemist Series, But That's The Longest I've Watched. That Being Said, The Length Of An Anime Has Nothing To Do With Whether I Watch It Or Not.

Jun 18, 2012 4:20 PM

XYuriX said:
As long if it's good i really wouldn't care

Agreed on that one.

Jun 18, 2012 4:23 PM
otaking
50 plus are my faves when it comes to it

but acced to my Mal Graph 1 episodes is my fave lenght thats cuse of all the Movies i watched
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Jun 18, 2012 4:31 PM
As a general rule I would say I prefer medium length anime shows, between 12-26 have always been great. I say this because if it is great show and there is another season I would be more than happy to jump on board, and if i didn't like the show then I am not stuck forcing myself to finish 40 plus episodes. Short shows are good to but they tend to rush the plot, but that is just from my experience.

Jun 18, 2012 4:46 PM

Anything under 60 episodes I'll usually give a green light to these days. I'm growing tired of long anime, as I am currently on episode 200-something in Shippuuden and 500-something in One Piece... and it seems like most of my time is spent with fillers, flashbacks, or recaps. There's just not that much actual product.

I think you can get more than enough character development and plot into a 20-60 episode series.

Jun 18, 2012 5:24 PM

I personally like shorter anime.

And I agree, they should've just waited until the manga ended before they made the Elfen Lied anime >_> I was so pissed off >_>

Jun 18, 2012 5:32 PM

I prefer short anime more then anything (26 ep or less). I don't mind medium ones that go for around 50 or so. An anime has to be really good for me to get started on it, if it is 100+ episodes. It just takes up a ton of time and there are so many other anime out there to watch.

Jun 18, 2012 5:33 PM
I would not watch anything longer than 60-70 episodes and it must be really good to make me watch something longer than 26 episodes.

Jun 18, 2012 7:55 PM

I prefer the medium about 500 episodes. Sazae-san and other long series, are bit too tiresome.

Jun 18, 2012 8:10 PM

Long like Story of Saiunkoku or short like any anime that is twenty six episodes

Jun 18, 2012 8:12 PM

The perfect number for a good series is like 36, but the 24-26 is good too.

Not many series can get me into watching the long 250+ episodes

The short ones being the 12-13 are good too but sometimes they feel a little rushed.

Jun 18, 2012 9:29 PM
Verdale said:
Anything under 60 episodes I'll usually give a green light to these days. I'm growing tired of long anime, as I am currently on episode 200-something in Shippuuden and 500-something in One Piece... and it seems like most of my time is spent with fillers, flashbacks, or recaps. There's just not that much actual product.

I think you can get more than enough character development and plot into a 20-60 episode series.

That's because it keeps getting "too close" to the manga. Among other reasons probably. If you want to conserve more time read the manga. It's probably not Oda's fault for the way the show is acting now.

Jun 18, 2012 11:14 PM

zeroevade said:
The perfect number for a good series is like 36, but the 24-26 is good too.
Not many series can get me into watching the long 250+ episodes

Strangely enough it's the 250+ episodes anime(and for that matter in America the long running TV series) that get the highest TV ratings. While the shorter series just make a quick, mostly forgettable splash.

Jun 18, 2012 11:52 PM

24 episodes is my ideal anime length..........depends on how good it is

Jun 19, 2012 2:03 AM
Psyche_Izaya said:
If plot is good, length of episodes don't matter at all~ ^-^;

If the characters are good that is - and then the show can't have enough filler. ^^

Jun 19, 2012 4:58 AM

I more a fan of 13-26 episode series, although I don't mind longer series as long as the pacing is good.

Versailles no bara - 40 episodes, fantatic pacing with incredible utizlization of build up

Full Metal Alchemist (original, not seen brotherhood yet) - 51 episodes, pacings mostly good till the second half when the anime original conetent started.

Jun 19, 2012 5:03 AM

prefer long anime, if it's not boring :D

Jun 19, 2012 6:27 AM

I prefer short anime, around 12-26 episodes

There are so many good anime to watch; so it feels wrong to spend 2 months on just one anime such as Bleach.

Jun 19, 2012 6:30 AM

I prefer the ~26 episodes but the ~12 are also good but sometimes too short.

Jun 19, 2012 6:38 AM
medium ones ~25 eps

Jun 19, 2012 6:41 AM

I prefer shorter anime runs of 12-13 episodes...medium runs of 23-26 episodes can be pretty good too if the story is a little broader.

I LOATHE long series runs. It tends to get watered down with fillers and padding when it runs longer.

Jun 19, 2012 6:43 AM

~12 ones are usually okay but sometimes seem too short

~25 ones are usually my favorite, but I always miss them after finishing them lol

~40 i haven't seen much of but what I have I've liked a lot, from what I've seen this would be my favorite length

~200+ Ridiculously long ones like bleach and naruto, I've tried bleach and naruto, didn't like them, wayyy too much filler etc.(Still watched a lot of naruto because I always happened to catch it on TV)

Still planning to try One Piece and maybe Bleach again.

Jun 19, 2012 7:06 AM
Genre dependent. I could not watch 400 episodes of a pure romance anime, and a pure comedy would get repetitive. Id say the best length for romance is between 12-26. Enough time to introduce the characters, and for a decent plot. However, it does not leave enough time for it to just drag on and on. I figure this is probably a reasonable length for mystery/drama/horror as well, though I never really watch mystery/horror.

For comedy, I would say 12-26 as well, leaning towards 12 unless the comedy is extremely good.

For things like one piece, though, I have no great wish for it to end at all. Its a reliably entertaining episode once a week if I want it, or a large chunk of episodes once or twice a year. Good comedy/action prolongs a show a great deal, so for a show like this the ideal length for me is very, very long.
Worships Asparagus.

Jun 19, 2012 7:31 AM

As others have said, it's genre dependant.

Although, if I had to pick one universally, I'd say medium-long. Something like Brotherhood (64) up to something like Bleach (365).

I usually don't like finishing things. If they're too short and I loved them, I usually end up re-watching them often (Spice and Wolf 8 times already ^^).

Jun 19, 2012 7:42 AM

20 - 30 episodes, each 30 mins long
I think that's medium

Jun 19, 2012 7:55 AM

It doesn't matter to me how long an anime is, as long as it keeps me interested the whole way through. If I had to say how long I'd like my anime though, it probably be around 26 episodes ;D

Jun 19, 2012 8:28 AM

I would usually perfer either 12-26 episodes.
But I have no problem at all with anime over 50 episodes or even over 100 episodes. As long as it's good, I wouldn't mind how long it would be.

Jun 19, 2012 9:11 AM

i prefer either 13-26, the long animes i watch in tv

Jun 19, 2012 10:11 AM

I usually like medium length anime. Naruto is too long in my opinion

Jun 19, 2012 10:58 AM

I don't think I could take up an anime which has 50+ episodes. I get bored very easily, so it is nothing for me. However, I've seen Nana recently (47 eps) and it felt like 12 or less and I loved it. So maybe it depends on the anime.
But generally - 12 - 25 that is my ideal lenght.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.

Jun 19, 2012 11:14 AM

KingLear said:
I don't think I could take up an anime which has 50+ episodes. I get bored very easily, so it is nothing for me. However, I've seen Nana recently (47 eps) and it felt like 12 or less and I loved it. So maybe it depends on the anime.
But generally - 12 - 25 that is my ideal lenght.

12-25 might be the length of anime you prefer to watch by looking at your list it seems that anime that's less than 13 episodes is more likely to be dropped or scored lowly. I think a possible conclusion is that 13 episodes isn't generally enough time for anime producers to create or adapt a story. With such a strong tendency I can't help but think that there's some commonality going on between those anime besides you simply not liking them very much.

Jun 19, 2012 11:23 AM

24, if it's a good anime.

Jun 19, 2012 11:25 AM

I mostly prefer around 26 episodes so let's say medium
However, it really depend of the plot and how good the anime is

Jun 19, 2012 12:12 PM

I like long animes better especially if it has likeable characters.

Jun 19, 2012 12:14 PM

I'd say I prefer medium, like about 50-100 episodes, but honestly, I want my anime to be as many episodes as possible. I think it's a lot easier to get sucked in to an anime with a lot of episodes, which is why I plan to watch most of the long-running series that I have an interest in. I've mostly watched short anime, but a lot of them should have been longer imo. There are only a few short anime I've seen that I don't think should have any more episodes. That would be Madoka, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (there's still one ep left but oh well, I love it as is, it doesn't need another season), tsuritama, and Bakemonogatari. Almost every anime could use more episodes.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata

Jun 19, 2012 12:18 PM

generally i like ~25 though i'll watch 50 if its really good
no more though
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jun 19, 2012 12:34 PM
EinLawliet said:
Hegemony said:
I used to love longer animes. This is most likely because I was accustomed to watching Dragonball Z at 6:30 everyday. Also, I used to love Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon as well as Naruto and Bleach.

But then I found out about "good anime". Anime didn't necessarily have to be 200+ episodes to be "good". So I took up a couple of recs my friend gave me: Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Those were "medium" length and so for a while i tended to enjoy those types, avoiding thirteen episode anime like the plague. The reason for this was simply because whenever a good story ends, I am left with this empty feeling and a desire for more of that particular show. But I finally watched Baccano! and AnoHana and I loved them just as much, if not more, than Death Note and Code Geass.

So, finally at where I am right now, I tend to actually favor shorter to medium type anime, because a 100+ anime simply is too intimidating for me at the moment (since I'm so busy with college).

TL;DR - Basically started with longer anime and worked my way *reluctantly* down to shorter anime and now I won't watch longer anime (like One Piece) simply because I am either too busy or it's just too big of a task.

I dunno, maybe it's cause when I see a 100+ (or even 80+) episode anime, I feel like in the time that I spent watching that amount of episodes for ONE show, I probably could have watched 4-5 other "short" yet amazing anime.

/endrant

I agree with you...My childhood was based on long animes like Pokemon and DragonBall, but now I actually prefer the medium ones.

One long Anime that I want to watch is Gintama.

I also agree that it depends on the number of filler episodes, but it is true that you can just skip it...

I think that the thing that annoys me more is not the fact that the anime has +100 episodes, but all the talking about them as they are the best anime in the world.

I think that was why I stopped Naruto, the story is not so good as people say, I just got bored with all the spoilers and talking that my brother and friends made.

I was exactly the same and I agree, besides if I like the anime should it really matter

Jun 19, 2012 12:35 PM

Regicide said:
generally i like ~25 though i'll watch 50 if its really good
no more though

Wouldn't you have to watch the 50 episodes before you know if it's good or not? Which means that you'd have to watch an anime with 50+ episodes before knowing whether it is also good.

Jun 19, 2012 7:28 PM

It really depends on the plot, but I generally prefer short to medium length. I feel like past a certain point the show starts to drag. It's the main reason I still have not finished Monster.

Jun 19, 2012 8:00 PM
If it's slice of life I prefer it to be more of a long. If it's shounen well I think it's better to have a medium episodes and if it's comedy I think short will be good.
Red is the color the proves that there's life.

Jun 19, 2012 9:13 PM

Animes that are 12-13 episodes long are the good ones and i wish that they were a little longer at least 35-65 episodes long, but if they were longer they will lose it's they're goodness wouldn't they?

Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »