Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 22, 2012 6:08 PM

Apr 2010
Very nice episode, nothing looked rushed though the pace could pick up a little more.
Jan 22, 2012 10:17 PM

Jun 2010
I love how most comments are about how slow the show is... Despite that it's only at episode 3... We finally get a show where the characters actually develop and we get no rushed starts like most anime, and when a show actually takes it's time... We have people complaining, and probably the same people who complain about rushed shows.
There is no pleasing anime fans these days LMAO.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Jan 22, 2012 10:25 PM

Jul 2010
artist-retired said:
I love how most comments are about how slow the show is... Despite that it's only at episode 3... We finally get a show where the characters actually develop and we get no rushed starts like most anime, and when a show actually takes it's time... We have people complaining, and probably the same people who complain about rushed shows.

true.
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Jan 23, 2012 10:39 AM
Jan 2011
Boring, I wonder if the girls of the Yatch Club would find themselves drafted into the piracy business.
Jan 23, 2012 11:30 AM
Jan 2010
Nasty001 said:
Boring, I wonder if the girls of the Yatch Club would find themselves drafted into the piracy business.

That seems to be what's happening for the Practice Cruise, not only is Kane assessing Marika's potential as a pirate captain, he's also looking out for potential recruits for the next generation Bentenmaru pirates.
Jan 23, 2012 12:51 PM

Jul 2010
I love this show so far!

For all of you nit-picking about the lack of tethers in space:

1) Don't you think that a society that has perfected space travel to the point that colonization of other planets has occurred on a large enough scale for there to be inter-stellar wars would have technology to handle space walking without a tether?

2) When the girls exit the ship, their momentum is exactly the same as the ships, with the exception of the very light push out the door. They would float along right next to it. If they push off right, they would move very much like they did in the show.

3) Have any of you ever space-walked near an object the size of that ship? It is HUGE in comparison to a little bitty teenage girl's body. Our species has never put a ship that size into space. Isn't it likely that, like any very massive body, it would exert some influence on smaller bodies around it, like, perhaps, bringing them back down into contact with it due to gravity?

I find the pacing great! Character building is such a rare thing in anime, it is a treat!
Jan 23, 2012 2:25 PM

Jun 2010
I've been wondering about their space suit.
What exactly is the thing between the legs of the girl's space suit's ?
Jan 23, 2012 3:35 PM
Aug 2010
I'm thinking this will probably be my favorite series of the season. For me, it is definitely refreshing to come across a show that doesn't rush the plot. To see people complaining about the pacing is honestly very amusing. This'll be one I'll be looking forward to every week.
Jan 23, 2012 3:46 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
zensunni said:
3) Have any of you ever space-walked near an object the size of that ship? It is HUGE in comparison to a little bitty teenage girl's body. Our species has never put a ship that size into space. Isn't it likely that, like any very massive body, it would exert some influence on smaller bodies around it, like, perhaps, bringing them back down into contact with it due to gravity?

Not nearly anything like enough to change anything. Assume a girl has a mass of about 50kg. Assume the ship might be something like 2000 tons, that's about 2,000,000kg (to keep the numbers simple). Assume the girl is about 10 meters away from the center of gravity of the ship, and treat the ship as a point source, for simplicity.

(lets see if I manage not to embarrassed myself - not done this in a while)

F = G x M1 x M2 / (RxR)

Ignore the value of G for a minute, and you get

F = G x 50 x 2(^6) / 100 = G x 1(^6), or G x 1 million

Now, G is about 7(^-11), so F ~= 7(^-5) "newtons"

1 newton is about = 0.22 pounds force...

So, a 50kg girl, in relation to the ship, would "weigh" about 0.000014 pounds...

However, I'm with you on point 1 :)

DarkWish said:
What exactly is the thing between the legs of the girl's space suit's ?

That's a trick question, right??? ;)

CratexJan 23, 2012 3:59 PM
Jan 23, 2012 7:44 PM
Jul 2011
I have to agree that the director's idea of moving in (almost) zero gravity is a bit naive - that bugged me a bit, too. But you can explain it away pretty easily, especially considering how far in the future they are.

My own quick-and-dirty solution was assuming that the suits contain something ferromagnetic and the ship has a magnetic field gently pulling them in. Hell, they could have tractor beams for all we know :-P

And I also think that the pacing is just right. I can imagine that a lot of directors (and even writers) would throw Marika onto the captain's seat of the Benten Maru in the first or second episode, but that would actually be pretty stupid for the pirates to do. It's very realistic that they take their time preparing her for her command. Easier for her, easier for them.
Jan 23, 2012 9:34 PM

Jun 2011
It may be slow paced, but it's still good
"Everyone's just a dot in space"
Jan 23, 2012 9:57 PM

Jul 2010
Cratex said:
zensunni said:

Not nearly anything like enough to change anything. Assume a girl has a mass of about 50kg. Assume the ship might be something like 2000 tons, that's about 2,000,000kg (to keep the numbers simple). Assume the girl is about 10 meters away from the center of gravity of the ship, and treat the ship as a point source, for simplicity.

(lets see if I manage not to embarrassed myself - not done this in a while)

F = G x M1 x M2 / (RxR)

Ignore the value of G for a minute, and you get

F = G x 50 x 2(^6) / 100 = G x 1(^6), or G x 1 million

Now, G is about 7(^-11), so F ~= 7(^-5) "newtons"

1 newton is about = 0.22 pounds force...

So, a 50kg girl, in relation to the ship, would "weigh" about 0.000014 pounds...

However, I'm with you on point 1 :)

All well and good, and it probably doesn't make much of a difference when you put the numbers together, but 2,000,000 kg is WAY too light! The Saturn V rocket was over 3,000,000 kg and I have stood next to one of them, it is much smaller than that looks! Heck, aircraft carriers are much bigger than that! I would guess somewhere closer to 300 metric tons or so would be a starting point, however, the radius is probably larger too... It still would be negligible.

I'll go with point 1 too! :)
Jan 23, 2012 10:03 PM

Jul 2010
Soshintsu said:
And I also think that the pacing is just right. I can imagine that a lot of directors (and even writers) would throw Marika onto the captain's seat of the Benten Maru in the first or second episode, but that would actually be pretty stupid for the pirates to do. It's very realistic that they take their time preparing her for her command. Easier for her, easier for them.

Exactly! It has been made clear that they aren't that thrilled with the prospect of a high school girl being put in the captain's seat. One would think they would be most interested in her as a puppet captain... ("Just accept the position so the Letter of Marque doesn't expire, please!!! We'll do all the work!") But knoing their former captain, they probably know his daughter won't be a push-over, as they have already found out. :) I love this show and wish the light novels were translated! (I started a poll at Baka Tsuki for anybody that wants to go over to their forums and vote for it! :) )
Jan 23, 2012 11:03 PM

Sep 2011
By the look of the feedback of this particular episode, I have a feeling this show is going to fare well (Sarcasm). We can't have nice things because people keeps bitching about realistic pacing. I for one enjoy the series the way it is. The more development, the better but the director obviously plays it smart and build it up a little by little for more impact I suppose.
No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me
Like I care at all
But it was so loud
And you sure could yell
You took a stand on every little thing
And it was so loud
Jan 24, 2012 1:59 AM

Jan 2010
artist-retired said:

Slow-paced in this show's context is short-hand for, "There's nothing to see here."

Plenty of shows are slow-paced and good. This one isn't.

It spends inordinate time on meaningless events. For example, all the thugs looking for her in the cafe, but then nothing happens with them. And the next day, she's back in the cafe as though nothing ever happened. Or the time wasted on the exam. Or on the electronic warfare.

And why do people explain away the anti-physics approach because the technology is so advanced, yet having your masts catch on each other because those systems are useless isn't worth mentioning. FWIW, I can live with a lack of realism on the scientific accuracy front if it's used to make the story better, although I suspect that this show will take it too far without a reason.

But the inept story-telling grates on me. It's not that Marika needs to be running the ship by episode three. It's that there should be some drama, some development, some tension, or some something by now.

Just because you have 26 episodes doesn't mean that you should squander them on such a thin gruel. And until the creators start using those 20 minutes to do something, this show sucks. Maybe they'll turn it around but they haven't shown any aptitude for it so far.
Jan 24, 2012 8:33 AM

Jun 2010
Mockman said:
artist-retired said:

Mockman said:
Slow-paced in this show's context is short-hand for, "There's nothing to see here."

That's too early of a judgement to make at this point.

Mockman said:
It spends inordinate time on meaningless events. For example, all the thugs looking for her in the cafe, but then nothing happens with them. And the next day, she's back in the cafe as though nothing ever happened. Or the time wasted on the exam. Or on the electronic warfare.

I don't like saying this but, what show doesn't use time on "meaningless" events? Would you prefered that the thugs returned for a second try? No, that would be ridiculous, even the characters joked about Marika's "fans" not returning. Marika's in school right? So why would it be such a big deal if has to do an exam anyway? And that part with the electronic warfare is hardly a meaningless event, it becomes an opportunity for Marika and Chiaki to start growing their innate ship-handling capabilities, solving problems together (in this case, a series of electronic attacks).

Mockman said:
And why do people explain away the anti-physics approach because the technology is so advanced, yet having your masts catch on each other because those systems are useless isn't worth mentioning. FWIW, I can live with a lack of realism on the scientific accuracy front if it's used to make the story better, although I suspect that this show will take it too far without a reason.

It's a ship being run by a bunch of highschool girls, I would think it wouldn't have gone off without a hitch.

Mockman said:
But the inept story-telling grates on me. It's not that Marika needs to be running the ship by episode three. It's that there should be some drama, some development, some tension, or some something by now.

Just because you have 26 episodes doesn't mean that you should squander them on such a thin gruel. And until the creators start using those 20 minutes to do something, this show sucks. Maybe they'll turn it around but they haven't shown any aptitude for it so far.

And what I quoted earlier applies here, it's only on episode three, and it's too early to fire off "it sucks" comments, and I'm pretty sure there's delevopment already in place, or did you forget that the second episode opened with an important moment between Ririka and Kato wherein Ririka takes her out to the desert to teach her how to shoot, and more importantly, impart upon her some wisdom: that the ‘power of being a pirate’ is not having to follow anyone's rules and deciding for yourself when to pull the trigger.
Why complain about a fireworks show when the fireworks have yet to be lit?
artist-retiredJan 24, 2012 9:02 AM
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Jan 24, 2012 10:38 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
zensunni said:

All well and good, and it probably doesn't make much of a difference when you put the numbers together, but 2,000,000 kg is WAY too light! The Saturn V rocket was over 3,000,000 kg and I have stood next to one of them, it is much smaller than that looks! Heck, aircraft carriers are much bigger than that! I would guess somewhere closer to 300 metric tons or so would be a starting point, however, the radius is probably larger too... It still would be negligible.

The USS Nimitz is 100,000 long tons (according to wikipedia), 200,000,000 pounds, or 90,718,474 kg - call it 90(^6)kg to be simple, so it is 45 times heavier that my original example. If it were floating out in space (again, as a point source to keep things simple), a 50kg girl 10 meters away would have an apparent weight of about 0.00063 pounds.... I'm not going to calculate the push required to reach escape velocity, but I'm fairly sure that it would be a very, very light push ;)

Mockman said:

Hmm. It seemed plain to me that the show stated that all those 'customers' in the cafe were sent to keep an eye on her and, just as importantly, each other, not to harm her. The only one who was there with any intent was the 'airport security guy'. In fact, this episode also stated that all those interested parties came to a temporary agreement regarding Marika, which is why they are now keeping their distance.

And, for what it is worth, as far back in the 1970s the US Army's own training events showed that electronic warfare could be devastating to units not prepared to deal with it, disrupting everything from communication during a firefight to preventing lunch being delivered, never mind fuel, ammo and medicine. Today the damage that a computer worm can cause is real, such as the one that all but shut down that Iranian reactor facility. I'm actually very pleased this show has that aspect.

The time wasted on the exams? All five minutes, if that? Really?

The cafe? Any small businessman will tell you that any day not open is a day closer to closure. Other than some gunfire and scorch marks from the signal flare it seems the cafe took very little damage. Since Marika hasn't decided anything yet, she has to keep her job - anyone working a service type job will tell you if you don't show up for work, you'll be replaced, and quickly.

The focus right now is on Marika considering her options while trying to carry on with her normal life, while the officers of the Benten Maru evaluate her (and her friends, since they need more than just a new captain). If you don't like that, then obviously this is not the type of show you'll like.

Whatever, I'm enjoying the show so far.
CratexJan 24, 2012 3:34 PM
Jan 24, 2012 11:26 AM

Nov 2009
Valky said:
It's .. very .. slow .. paced ..

Yeah. I think what will decide if i continue is the first actual pirate related event. I have a feeling that this building up to something, so i can't really judge it until i see what will happen then. IT could be faster though.
Jan 25, 2012 1:34 PM

Apr 2010
Proper Science-Fiction is almost always slow paced in the beginning. All the classics work like that, and most of the decent recent stuff is the same as well.

You'll get your action soon enough, but right now easing us into the setting, the characters and the concepts involved is by far the most important thing for the show to do. As far as I'm concerned, they have this spot on. Some of the best pacing I've seen in anime for a long time, frankly.

Also solar sails are the best. Kudos to them for using them in this setting. Now all we need is Bussard ramjet engines are we're all set for some old-style sci-fi tech.
Jan 26, 2012 12:50 AM

Nov 2009
This is just way too boring fo me and the concept is silly and stupid.

Dropped.
Jan 26, 2012 9:19 PM

Jun 2010
AceIII said:
This is just way too boring fo me and the concept is silly and stupid.

Dropped.

Your loss.
Jan 26, 2012 11:47 PM

Aug 2010
I hope the pace catches up beyond this episode.
Jan 27, 2012 12:36 PM
Sep 2011
So, from what I could grasp it's more about electronic warfare and strategies than about armed force. I'm surprised but pleased nonetheless. At least it's unlikely to emerge into mindless action scenes.
Jan 27, 2012 2:53 PM

May 2011
Very interesting to see how their ship works and a first glance at their solar system/ galaxy. Lol at Marika during the electronic warfare, completely clueless but go go go. Her personality is just great, love it. And Kane is a cool chill guy, I like it.
Jan 27, 2012 7:58 PM

Aug 2008
Glad they didn't spend too much time on the hacking. I'm starting to like this show despite its slow pace. It's probably because of the surprising attention to detail. I think the Bentenmaru has a new captain.

Oh by the way, why the hell wasn't anyone tethered to the ship? What the hell is up with that?! I know this isn't PLANETES, but I'd expect a little more realism from a show that's tried so hard to give the illusion of such. No cables, no verniers, I didn't even see any handles on the ship of note.

Jan 27, 2012 9:16 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
DonKangolJones said:

Oh by the way, why the hell wasn't anyone tethered to the ship? What the hell is up with that?! I know this isn't PLANETES, but I'd expect a little more realism from a show that's tried so hard to give the illusion of such. No cables, no verniers, I didn't even see any handles on the ship of note.

If you read through the posts here, you'll see this has already been discussed. Several of us have put forth that the technology is sufficiently advanced that their suites have built in technology for maneuver and control such that dangerous and unreliable tethers are not needed.
Jan 29, 2012 5:03 AM
Nov 2011
I'm still trying to figure out if the MC is some kind of air head? Or just somewhat bubbly, at times she has a smile on her face, and the dark head girl looks at her, and I'm like, she just wants to smack her right now doesn't she, lol.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 29, 2012 12:51 PM

Sep 2010
For those complaining about slow pacing, try to keep in mind that this is an adaptation from a novel not a manga. It's bound to be more wordy than actiony.

Jan 30, 2012 1:33 AM

Jan 2010
artist-retired said:
Mockman said:
artist-retired said:
That's too early of a judgement to make at this point.

I dunno. Three episodes is a good hour of show time. A lot of story can be told in three episodes.

On another note, I don't know what character development there's been thus far. The closest I've seen would be that Chiaki seems less suspicious of Marika than her personality would suggest that she be. Of course, I think that she has some secrets that need revealing. But other than that, all of the characters seem to be exactly the same as they were when the first episode began.

artist-retired said:
I don't like saying this but, what show doesn't use time on "meaningless" events? Would you prefered that the thugs returned for a second try? No, that would be ridiculous, even the characters joked about Marika's "fans" not returning. Marika's in school right? So why would it be such a big deal if has to do an exam anyway? And that part with the electronic warfare is hardly a meaningless event, it becomes an opportunity for Marika and Chiaki to start growing their innate ship-handling capabilities, solving problems together (in this case, a series of electronic attacks).

Explaining away the climax of the opening episode is lousy story-telling. Having a second-episode cliffhanger get explained away in the third is lousy story-telling.

What made the electronic warfare scene meaningless is that the scene is ended through a highly contrived ploy, the loss of power. Which is fine. But then enemy ship escapes instantly and perfectly, and there is no connection to what happened earlier or later. It may as well have never happened. Why not have Chiaki and Marika bond while doing something that will move the story forward. And if the men in suits are going to be explained away, why bother in the first place?

artist-retired said:
And what I quoted earlier applies here, it's only on episode three, and it's too early to fire off "it sucks" comments, and I'm pretty sure there's development already in place, or did you forget that the second episode opened with an important moment between Ririka and Kato wherein Ririka takes her out to the desert to teach her how to shoot, and more importantly, impart upon her some wisdom: that the ‘power of being a pirate’ is not having to follow anyone's rules and deciding for yourself when to pull the trigger.

It seems that three episodes is sufficient for it to be considered a good show. But I'll grant that it's early yet and simply say that it is sucking — present tense — as it fritters away a decent story through weak story-telling.

For what it's worth, anyone can babble wisdom. Mothers have babbled at teenage daughters for time immemorial. Taking her out to the desert one evening to shoot some cans doesn't mean much. And for the most part, what she said was kind of silly. But telling her that she can be her own person and not follow rules was nice. I don't really think that Marika needed it as she already has a clearly defined personality in that respect. More interesting to me was the discussion around Marika's father that took place while they were driving there. I'm sure that will come up again later.

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the activities aboard the ship's practice voyage were managed by their advisor, to test and challenge them all.

On the plus side, I like the OP (can't stand the ED). It's fun with it's off-key, through a telephone vocals. Of course the show itself is yet to match the OP's visuals. I'm about to watch the next episode. Who knows, maybe they'll start telling the story better.
MockmanJan 30, 2012 1:37 AM
Jan 30, 2012 1:40 AM

Jan 2010
Cratex said:
Hmm. It seemed plain to me that the show stated that all those 'customers' in the cafe were sent to keep an eye on her and, just as importantly, each other, not to harm her. The only one who was there with any intent was the 'airport security guy'. In fact, this episode also stated that all those interested parties came to a temporary agreement regarding Marika, which is why they are now keeping their distance.

And, for what it is worth, as far back in the 1970s the US Army's own training events showed that electronic warfare could be devastating to units not prepared to deal with it, disrupting everything from communication during a firefight to preventing lunch being delivered, never mind fuel, ammo and medicine. Today the damage that a computer worm can cause is real, such as the one that all but shut down that Iranian reactor facility. I'm actually very pleased this show has that aspect.

The time wasted on the exams? All five minutes, if that? Really?

The cafe? Any small businessman will tell you that any day not open is a day closer to closure. Other than some gunfire and scorch marks from the signal flare it seems the cafe took very little damage. Since Marika hasn't decided anything yet, she has to keep her job - anyone working a service type job will tell you if you don't show up for work, you'll be replaced, and quickly.

My problem isn't with the plot points, per se. It's with what I consider to be poor story-telling.

For an episode and a half, various issues are raised. Then, suddenly, they are forgotten, after being explained away. If they can be forgotten so easily, then what was the point in telling them in the first place. This is weak story-telling. And I'll use the customers in the cafe again as an example. Someone went to a lot of trouble drawing all these guys. They took over the cafe on one day. And one guy then brazenly walks in and if not for the quick reaction of her schoolmate, would presumably have absconded with Marika. This is the climax of the opening episode. And it's implied that massive destruction took place, as billowing clouds of smoke pour high into the sky. Then the next day, they come to a magic agreement and the cafe is untouched. If they're irrelevant to the story, which the agreement indicates that they are, then they didn't need to be there in the first place. And in another scene, the exams as well. How was it connected to the story? And squandering five minutes (it was less than that even) out of a 20 minute show is wasteful. That time could have been spent moving the story forward. And worse, how can you be sure that anything is meaningful since it could be explained away next episode just as easily?

I don't mind the electronic warfare itself. Given the amount of time and attention given it, I hope that it becomes important later on. But its treatment here, consuming a chunk of two episodes including ending one episode in a cliffhanger, was unwarranted. Especially since nothing came of it. A convenient plot device, the loss of power, ends their battle and their opponent flees successfully and is immediately forgotten — from dangerous threat one moment to forgotten the next. And as a bonus, we hear of it through third-party exposition. Again, I'm okay with all the pieces here, including the power thing. But if I were to generalize my criticisms, they fall into two parts. Too much time was spent on an event without an outcome, and the event was not connected to what happened next. Actually, these events are designed to be disposable and disconnected.
Jan 30, 2012 6:44 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Mockman said:
But if I were to generalize my criticisms, they fall into two parts. Too much time was spent on an event without an outcome, and the event was not connected to what happened next. Actually, these events are designed to be disposable and disconnected.

Well, if nothing else, I really do appreciate that you've expressed your issues so well - often times people who don't like something simply say "I don't like it cause it's dumb."

I do not have the issues you do - the story so far works for me, including the places where you have issues. I could counter your last post with my own responses, but I get the feeling we'd never reach agreement anyway and we'd just frustrate ourselves and others to no point. Certainly, I'm probably interpreting things differently than you. Thus, in the end, we'll just have to disagree and leave it at that. I really hope, assuming you stick with it, that your issues get cleared up later. There are many shows that are considered universally popular that I can't stand, so I'm certainly not going to trivialize your issues.
Jan 30, 2012 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
Cratex said:
Mockman said:
But if I were to generalize my criticisms, they fall into two parts. Too much time was spent on an event without an outcome, and the event was not connected to what happened next. Actually, these events are designed to be disposable and disconnected.

Well, if nothing else, I really do appreciate that you've expressed your issues so well - often times people who don't like something simply say "I don't like it cause it's dumb."

I do not have the issues you do - the story so far works for me, including the places where you have issues. I could counter your last post with my own responses, but I get the feeling we'd never reach agreement anyway and we'd just frustrate ourselves and others to no point. Certainly, I'm probably interpreting things differently than you. Thus, in the end, we'll just have to disagree and leave it at that. I really hope, assuming you stick with it, that your issues get cleared up later. There are many shows that are considered universally popular that I can't stand, so I'm certainly not going to trivialize your issues.

I realise that I don't have any monopoly on the truth. At the end of the day, we like what we like. I can see things in this show that are likeable, so it doesn't surprise me when you say that the story works for you. Someone used a fireworks show as an analogy. I think more apt for this show would be a baseball player choosing to hit a single over a home run. But I'll probably continue to watch it, tearing out my hair out and gnashing my teeth.
Feb 1, 2012 7:04 AM
Mar 2010
three episodes judgement: I don't understand this anime.... it didn't give me many point of interest.... and all seems me so confused... I think I'll give it other 2 or 3 eps and so I'll decide if I'll continue to watch....
At this moment I expect more greatfullness from Chiaki.... other characters, Madoka incluses, I don't see many potential....

next to 4th ep
Feb 3, 2012 7:40 AM

Aug 2010
Lolgravity aside, I like how there is attention given to the scientific parts. Heck, the fact that there was no sound to be heard deserves +10 points on its own. I can understand why some people would dislike this show, but I find it immensely entertaining, the slower than usual pace should allow worthwhile character development and interaction. 4/5.
Feb 3, 2012 11:01 AM

Nov 2009
hopefully it gets a little more interesting soon o_o
Mar 11, 2012 6:00 AM

Nov 2010
Misdreavius said:
Cratex said:
midgemage said:

Their space walk just about defied Newton's Third all the way through. Even in episode two, that pirate teacher guy somehow managed to accelerate through some sort of strange movement while not in contact with any surface or object. Forces don't work like that.

I'm fairly sure you mean his first law. When Kane was 'motionless' in that passage tube he appeared to be able to move without being pushed or having something to push against, and without that he should have remained motionless. That's the first law.

However, I'm assuming that they are advanced enough that they have very non-noticeable gadgets to allow them to move using the third law - some small jet booster - or some attractive thing. Today, for instance, we have ear buds for our cell-phones that are almost small enough to not show under long hair, it is quite common now for someone to appear to be talking to themselves until you realize they are 'on the phone'. I'm willing to bet in 10-15 years you'll be able to get a cell phone ear bud that will look an ear ring - and in 25 years maybe the entire cell phone might be ear ring sized. I would expect someone who is going into a weightless environment to have the minimal necessities for getting around and I'd not be surprise that such would be no more noticeable than we consider cell phone ear buds today.

I'm pretty sure this series is NOT targeted at all the science buffs and astrologists we have around here, so one would have to realize that this is an anime, where people have to actually draw the actions instead of real life where physics controls everything.

All this science defying things are obviously done for convenience. How about we all just assume that because this is the future, they have technology that allows stuff to happen that can't happen in real life?

I know this is totally off topic, but astrology?!? As a Physics/Mathematics/Astronomy buff, I am highly disappointed that people still confuse the discourse with astrology.

It's Astronomy, dude. Basic elementary-school education should have taught you that. Man the education system these days....

On topic: Yeah the physics is obviously out of wack, but that doesn't make the show less enjoyable as long as major plot points depend on broken physics.
Apr 30, 2012 4:45 PM

Nov 2007
wow I thought I'd give this another shot, but I can only think of one word. boring.

I honestly can't even remember what happened after watching it. it seemed like nothing happened. I hate dropping stuff but that is where this is going.
Jun 17, 2012 3:31 PM

May 2010
I don't see why you'd need tethers to space walk. Simple magnets would be sufficient for something like this. Besides that, it's trivial to set up a space suit so that you can propulse with the compressed air given an emergency (say you got too far from the ship for the magnet to save you). I wouldn't expect any anime that purports to show the far future to involve cables, to me it's unbelievable that we'd still need cables in the era this anime is set in.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 29, 2012 1:53 PM

Nov 2011
So I picked this series up again and decided to give it a second try. Hope it's worth it.

P.S. Cute space suits.
Jul 5, 2012 10:37 PM

Jun 2009
Loved the moment at the end of the episode and I'm loving what this series is doing so far. This definitely doesn't pander to the attention deficient out there and I respect that.

Seabury said:
I don't see why you'd need tethers to space walk. Simple magnets would be sufficient for something like this. Besides that, it's trivial to set up a space suit so that you can propulse with the compressed air given an emergency (say you got too far from the ship for the magnet to save you). I wouldn't expect any anime that purports to show the far future to involve cables, to me it's unbelievable that we'd still need cables in the era this anime is set in.

I was thinking something like this myself.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 5, 2012 10:45 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 5, 2013 12:22 AM

Jul 2008
Valky said:
It's .. very .. slow .. paced ..

That sums up my thoughts on the episode in a nutshell.
Jan 2, 2014 1:22 PM

May 2012
She reached space! Well things sure are developing quite lovely so let's see what's next!
May 31, 2014 3:57 AM

Aug 2013
Lol I didn't know people had issues with this show's pacing. Imo it's alright. I mean you can't expect those kids to suddenly be proficient in flying ships and become pirates :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 29, 2020 1:34 AM

Jul 2009
I love how the girl's space suit have their own unique colors to one another.

It was the mechanic that decided it. I always find it boring how space suits are always "White" colored.

I know it's more to easily spot on dead space, but putting some bright colors would be nice as well.

We're finally seeing the crew in action. I want some space fights soon!
Aug 30, 2021 5:26 AM

Feb 2014
A club trip to space, that's a really awesome experience for them! Personally I have no desire to go to outer space, but if I were in the position of these girls, I know I would be so excited!

Chiaki is pretty cold now but something tells me that she and Mariko are going to be best friends after a while
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2022 6:30 PM
Sep 2022
Yet another good episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.