Forum Settings
Forums

Megaupload taken down (and RIP File-hosting sites)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 22, 2012 9:37 AM

Jul 2008
dsister said:
err... ok... sure. The FBI has been putting together a case for two years just so it can be torn apart in court by having the validity of it's searches called out. The FBI doesn't screw around when it comes to investigations

Not just the validity of searches, but the validity of everything. If it were a different crime involving a German citizen living in New Zealand who apparently broke US law, I doubt we would be in a similar situation this quickly...

dsister said:
The Safe Haven Law says that if they know about copyrighted material on the site they have to take it down.

Only covers US servers. Investigation discounted that fact and considered the servers hosted in the US as the entirety of the site already.

dsister said:
It doesn't matter if it will just be re-uploaded.

It does. They contend Megaupload did not remove 36 of the 39, they said "were still being stored on the servers" (emphasis mine) disregarding the possibility that it have been removed and was merely re-uploaded "after a year." Unless the investigators check daily?

dsister said:
All in all they knew it was there. They were downloading it. They purposely failed to delete files when they knew they were there. They screwed up. Badly

Too many pronouns, no indication of who "they" were. First "they" can be the staff, or the investigators, for example.

Factsies said:
Hopefully sites like Rapidshare get taken down as well pretty soon.

Very doubtful, considering they're Swiss.

It took decades for the "autonomy" of Swiss banks to finally be broken, that much time would keep Rapidshare going.
Jan 22, 2012 10:02 AM

Sep 2010
PHCharls said:
Videozer, VideoBb videos for anime videos were mostly deleted. Its starting :/

Well anime can still be uploaded on those sites the people uploading just have to be crafty with the tags, put it under a different category, change around the anime's title thats how most stuff stays on DailyMotion and Veoh for a very long time unless some douchebag snitches. Although of course it won't work if the website as a whole gets shut down. Don't worry pirates will find a way to let us stream unlicensed series that CR, Sentai, NIS, or Funi don't get.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 22, 2012 10:27 AM

Jul 2010
entropy13 said:

Not just the validity of searches, but the validity of everything. If it were a different crime involving a German citizen living in New Zealand who apparently broke US law, I doubt we would be in a similar situation this quickly...

Uh huh. Sure. Like the US cares who it goes after.
*looks at UK kid that is being extradited to the US*

Only covers US servers. Investigation discounted that fact and considered the servers hosted in the US as the entirety of the site already.

New Zealand is just as anal as the US when it comes to copyright laws. So I'm sure they were plenty happy to throw him in jail.

And it doesn't matter where the bulk of the servers were located. There were 525 odd servers in VA. That makes dotcomm and his friends criminals in the US. And allowing the site to stay up would just keep allowing people to pirate stuff.

It does. They contend Megaupload did not remove 36 of the 39, they said "were still being stored on the servers" (emphasis mine) disregarding the possibility that it have been removed and was merely re-uploaded "after a year." Unless the investigators check daily?
It was talked about in the emails that the megaupload guys would send each other.

Too many pronouns, no indication of who "they" were. First "they" can be the staff, or the investigators, for example.

My bad. It would of course refer to the M\egaupload employees.
Jan 22, 2012 12:15 PM

Oct 2010
God damnit. It was so fast, no waiting after download and what i loved the most - no captcha. Also now many other websites (like fileserve) have gotten more careful and delete massively files and accounts. :(
Jan 22, 2012 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
They Clearly dont know who they're dealing with XD
Jan 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Feb 2010
word on the streets anonymous working already on their own file hoster with server in russia^^
Jan 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Feb 2010
As if this wasn't devestating enough,
NOW IT HAPPENED TO FILESONIC

Well, it hasn't been taken down, but you can only use it to upload personal files for you to download at a later time. There's no more fileshare. I don't know if they did this out of fear from what happened to megaupload, or because they were forced to, but it's a horrible thing, either way.
kingw0rmJan 22, 2012 1:58 PM
Jan 22, 2012 2:41 PM

May 2010
skutieos said:
As if this wasn't devestating enough,
NOW IT HAPPENED TO FILESONIC

Well, it hasn't been taken down, but you can only use it to upload personal files for you to download at a later time. There's no more fileshare. I don't know if they did this out of fear from what happened to megaupload, or because they were forced to, but it's a horrible thing, either way.

Yup, Filesonic's share function has been taken down. They seem to be really targeting these kind of sites now. Damn. This sucks a lot...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2012 2:47 PM

Jul 2011
Stupid American Government can never see the REAL problems cause they're so ignorant and greedy. I mean piracy is a pretty big problem, but were talking about sharing files here, not human trafficking etc. I honestly wouldn't care as much if they actually had different priorities that actually meant something. I'm already experiencing the frustration of not being able to stream anime because a large portion of it is on MegaVideo. Geez what a hassle..
Jan 22, 2012 3:17 PM

Dec 2011

o.o
Jan 22, 2012 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
Xtc said:

o.o

*giggles*

It feels good to buy legally. Though I really wouldn't worry about it
Jan 22, 2012 3:39 PM
Mar 2011
use nakido
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 22, 2012 3:42 PM

Apr 2010
IRC the way of the future.

Looking forward to torrents getting shut down after they're done with the file hosts.
Jan 22, 2012 3:53 PM
Aug 2011
FileSonic has disabled all-sharing files functionality. You can only upload files and download to yourself. :(

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/filesonic-shutters-another-file-sharing-site-bites-the-dust/67670

Edit: As of 23rd, almost all popular file-hosting websites(except Rapidshare and Mediafire) has disabled.

Life is just full of "bad" surprises.

FenFireJan 23, 2012 6:00 PM
Jan 22, 2012 3:54 PM

Jul 2011
Xtc said:

o.o

Paranoia runs rampant......

Jan 22, 2012 3:54 PM

Oct 2009
Spread the word: http://www.anonyupload.com/

That way, we won't need to worry about this shit :/

Jan 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Jun 2008
antonn said:

Looking forward to torrents getting shut down after they're done with the file hosts.
^ If they can target torrents and file sharing sites then why not IRC? You assume IRC is like a safe haven from all this.
Jan 22, 2012 4:01 PM

Jul 2011
lucjan said:

Can't say I trust an unknown person asking for donations to get a site running. How anonymous are they really if they're using paypal? We'll see if the server actually gets moved to Russia or not on tuesday and go from there.

Jan 22, 2012 4:06 PM

Oct 2009
rekindledflame said:
lucjan said:

Can't say I trust an unknown person asking for donations to get a site running. How anonymous are they really if they're using paypal? We'll see if the server actually gets moved to Russia or not on tuesday and go from there.

lol, yeah, I wouldn't ever donate unless I knew they were doing what they were doing, so waiting at this point is the best option.

Jan 22, 2012 4:10 PM

Apr 2010
Tachii said:
antonn said:

^ If they can target torrents and file sharing sites then why not IRC? You assume IRC is like a safe haven from all this.
No. I assume they'll be going after torrents next not that they won't go after IRC eventually. I meant IRC as an alternative to File Hosts. Everything is going to get shut down until the internet is dead whether its torrents or IRC after or anything else that can possibly be used.
Jan 22, 2012 4:19 PM

Oct 2009
It's about time I started stocking up :/
I always archived the anime I liked, but at the same time, I'm extremely lazy and procrastinated a lot of it. If this shit is happening, I should hurry the fuck up and archive the rest of the crap I'd be afraid to lose D'X If anyone wants to do the same, try Bakabt. Just make sure to seed, too :]

Jan 22, 2012 4:32 PM

Feb 2010
That's the problem with Anonyupload... Donations won't happen unless we know for sure it's going to a good cause. They need ad revenue, yet they are too stubborn to put ads on their site. I think unless they rethink their ways, their site will end in failure. Hoping for the best, of course.

And yeah, R.I.P. Filesonic, R.I.P. Megaupload, R.I.P. Freedom, etc etc
Jan 22, 2012 4:35 PM
Nov 2008
Didn't even use FileSonic.
Jan 22, 2012 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
Pussies!
Jan 22, 2012 4:52 PM

Jan 2012
Ugh.
I loved Megaupload ;u;

This is gonna be the beggining of a giant revolution if SOPA and PIPA happen one day.
Jan 22, 2012 4:54 PM

Dec 2011
Now I guess all the file host business are scared to death of the government and are restricting user priveleges huh? :/

lucjan said:

None of the links or buttons on that site even work.
Jan 22, 2012 4:55 PM

Oct 2009
Xtc said:
Now I guess all the file host business are scared to death of the government and are restricting user priveleges huh? :/

lucjan said:

FAQ works, but yeah, the site hasn't officially launched. It's apparently going to launch in the next 24 hours, so expect something then :]
I don't expect much from anonyupload, since it won't receive proper funding, but it'll still be interesting to see its development.

Jan 22, 2012 5:00 PM

Jul 2011
God, another fileshare website down... Deal with it I say.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Jan 22, 2012 5:01 PM

Sep 2011
I barely used FileSonic but yeah, a lot of crazy stuff has happened for the past few days ever since MU's downfall.
Jan 22, 2012 5:01 PM

Dec 2011
lucjan said:
Xtc said:

lucjan said:

FAQ works, but yeah, the site hasn't officially launched. It's apparently going to launch in the next 24 hours, so expect something then :]
I don't expect much from anonyupload, since it won't receive proper funding, but it'll still be interesting to see its development.

Yes it would be interesting. Theres alot of support in Anonymous so I think they will get funding from the general public.

If it's truly going to be operated them, I dont expect anything less. They have enough power to have even governmental sites.
Jan 22, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2011
just dodging bullets now until fileserve gets shut down ;(
Jan 22, 2012 5:03 PM
Nov 2008
Just use MediaFire. They'll never let us down... I hope.
Jan 22, 2012 5:08 PM
Jul 2008
That suck. I hope mediafire safe.
Jan 22, 2012 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
Anonymous users have been posting links to sites that install a malware that acts as a javascript version of loic. That starts DDoSing sites. Not saying that link is. But be careful...

On topic. Meh, if they followed DMCA they shouldn't have to worry. But better safe than sorry I suppose
Jan 22, 2012 5:14 PM

Dec 2011
naeceal said:
Just use MediaFire. They'll never let us down... I hope.

If Mediafire craps out on us. I'm going to upload my crap on RGhost. RGhost is as great as Mediafire.
Jan 22, 2012 5:15 PM

Jun 2009
There are other ways of filesharing, you know. I know IRC networks have such a feature, even if I could never get it to work personally. FTP servers work, too, though those will probably never go large-scale. And there's always our friend BitTorrent, which is still evolving to be more secure and private. And for small files, freaking email does the job... No less secure than hosting files on a filesharing service under an account tied to your email. There will always be ways to share files (some more secure than others, of course), so no need to mourn the deaths of a couple individual services.
Jan 22, 2012 5:18 PM
Nov 2008
AbstractCalamity said:
..., so no need to mourn the deaths of a couple individual services.

...but but but...the precious files uploaded by users have all gone to waste. Surely reason enough to mourn the site.
Jan 22, 2012 6:10 PM

Jul 2010
that sucks for the people who use it. :(

Jan 22, 2012 6:19 PM

Dec 2010
I didn't even know filesonic existed. So I can't mourn.

Someone, do it for me.
Jan 22, 2012 6:23 PM

Oct 2009
Sooner or later, we're going to find strange officer's under the guise of ~fingermen~ policing the streets. Oh gosh.

Jan 22, 2012 6:26 PM
Nov 2008
Some developers might see this as an opportunity to outdo what MegaUpload had feat, in the interest of seeking traffic for fiscal means. Who knows.
Jan 22, 2012 6:53 PM

May 2009
Maybe it's a good idea that file sharing sites are disabling their share functions. If they lay low and act like they've taken their service offline, maybe the government will back the fuck off.

Not saying it would be totally effective, but it's an idea.
I'm glad it didn't go completely down though. Stand your ground FileSonic...
Jan 22, 2012 7:10 PM
Nov 2008
ChibiHanyou said:
... If they lay low and act like they've taken their service offline, maybe the government will back the fuck off.

Eh. I'd kind of be worried at that. If it becomes a narrative that seems to be normal, but then to have officials to say well, obviously these sites aren't that necessary, then use that as a basis to go around tripping off what they see fit. Disaster.

It's clear from the past, that authorities will jump to any given line which holds potential for their special interests, as a beneficiary.
Jan 22, 2012 7:20 PM

Jul 2010
ChibiHanyou said:
Maybe it's a good idea that file sharing sites are disabling their share functions. If they lay low and act like they've taken their service offline, maybe the government will back the fuck off.

Not saying it would be totally effective, but it's an idea.
I'm glad it didn't go completely down though. Stand your ground FileSonic...

These sites are all protected by a safe haven law. Megaupload's top brass screwed up real bad and didn't obey their provisions.
Filesonic is just being a little overcautious.
Jan 22, 2012 7:37 PM
Nov 2008
dsister said:
Filesonic is just being a little overcautious.

With the set of what happened to MegaUpload, it's no surprise. Moreover if this action of precaution spreads, then eyebrows would rise.
Jan 22, 2012 7:42 PM

Sep 2010
I heard that other fileshare sites are blocking US ISPs now on animesuki. I hope this isn't true cause that would suck. Dx
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 22, 2012 7:51 PM

Apr 2010
Roloko said:
I heard that other fileshare sites are blocking US ISPs now on animesuki. I hope this isn't true cause that would suck. Dx

"Uploaded" has blocked US IPs. Not sure if any other have followed their decision.
Jan 22, 2012 7:52 PM

Nov 2008
Start downloading everything now so it will be not too late for you!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 22, 2012 8:09 PM

Sep 2010
antonn said:
Roloko said:

"Uploaded" has blocked US IPs. Not sure if any other have followed their decision.

Oh ok I was confused when I saw it posted.

I don't download anime just manga scans and anime music, but it will suck though if I can't find good videos from youtube to rip the audio from.
Jan 22, 2012 8:20 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.