Forum Settings
Forums

Megaupload taken down (and RIP File-hosting sites)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Feb 2, 2012 1:29 PM

Dec 2008
That's it. No more movies streaming free.
If it will continue, everything will be on payment and it will annoy a lot of internet users (such as me) because a lot of content doesn't exist for non US users because of the limitation and not everybody are using US dollars...
But, don't worry, when Napster closed, there were opened a lot of download programs, so that, such as here, with Megaupload

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Feb 2, 2012 1:54 PM

Nov 2011
Megaupload will be remembered as the best. It is now a legend that makes part of the File-hosting Hall of Fame.
Feb 2, 2012 7:07 PM

Jun 2008
EtnaEraclea said:
news.nationalpost.com said:
Minutes after the U.S. Department of Justice shut down notorious file-sharing site Megaupload.com, the department’s own website was brought down in a cyber attack orchestrated by the hacker group Anonymous.

“The government takes down Megaupload? 15 minutes later Anonymous takes down government & record label sites,” a member of Anonymous said via Twitter.

The group also disabled the sites of Universal Music, the RIAA, the U.S. Copyright Office, Broadcast Music Inc., the FBI and the Motion Picture Association of America in what it called its “largest attack ever.” By late evening, however, most sites were back online.

how was that saying..? eye for an eye? XD
Eye for a poke in the eye, maybe, since they were shortly back online.
Feb 6, 2012 2:18 PM

Mar 2009
BTJunkie said:

2005 - 2012
This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we've decided to voluntarily shut down. We've been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it's time to move on. It's been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!

BTjunkie opted out.

I think it's safe to call it a victim of this war too.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Feb 6, 2012 2:31 PM

Nov 2008
The torrents are falling now as well, FTP might need to go back in style.

Feb 7, 2012 8:03 AM

Aug 2009
damn anyone knows any good streaming sites now >< kinda lost almost all of mine...
Im going to show you an animated manga of a guy shitting backwards XD
Feb 7, 2012 11:18 AM

Jan 2012
Fileserve is back?!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2012 2:18 PM

Nov 2009
-Solo said:
Fileserve is back?!

Nice that's good to know. A lot of links on the web used fileserve. I pretty much gave up on the whole online storage locker system. Looks like all hope is not lost. It sucks that Megaupload is down and gone but on the grand scheme of things it could have been much worse.
Feb 8, 2012 11:02 PM

Jul 2011
Pretty much soon all large filehost will be taken down :/ It's very sad, but it's true thing. 2012.. world's end I finally understand it.. I think

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Feb 8, 2012 11:49 PM

Jul 2011
Gaichi said:
Pretty much soon all large filehost will be taken down :/ It's very sad, but it's true thing. 2012.. world's end I finally understand it.. I think

It's not really true and is a little melodramatic? This is not the end of the world, the end of the internet, the end of torrents, or the end of filehosting. A set back perhaps, but it's one that has been seen time and time again. The government can't stop the internet, until the people sitting at their computers decide to call it quits...

Feb 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Jun 2009
rekindledflame said:
Gaichi said:

It's not really true and is a little melodramatic? This is not the end of the world, the end of the internet, the end of torrents, or the end of filehosting. A set back perhaps, but it's one that has been seen time and time again. The government can't stop the internet, until the people sitting at their computers decide to call it quits...

Take away their free supply of entertainment and people get mad :P
Feb 9, 2012 3:26 PM

Nov 2008
I don't think it's a big deal. Someone will just come up with a new file-sharing method eventually.
Feb 9, 2012 9:05 PM

Oct 2011
Imo file-sharing is not necessarily a bad thing per say. Take for instance libraries.You have tons of books that can be taken out by anyone, read, copied, and returned in an orderly fashion. Although you still pay a small fee to use the services provided.

Now onto file-sharing. You can use the internet to download information, videos, etc.. Although you don't need to return anything, technically you aren't stealing/profiting from anything. You still need to pay a fee to your isp to use the services provided.

Now I know there are things that should not be copied/pirated, however, the question must be asked as to why these things are even available on the net? Aren't companies profiting from the internet by using it as a way of free-advertisement? Aren't they using it as a way to share information towards the consumers? Isn't the internet run by the people and for the people?

p.s.-Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't government in the past (like a few centuries ago) purposely tried to burn down libraries and books in fear that the people of the state would overpower authority?
Feb 10, 2012 6:18 AM

Jul 2011
EquivXchange said:
Imo file-sharing is not necessarily a bad thing per say. Take for instance libraries.You have tons of books that can be taken out by anyone, read, copied, and returned in an orderly fashion. Although you still pay a small fee to use the services provided.

Now onto file-sharing. You can use the internet to download information, videos, etc.. Although you don't need to return anything, technically you aren't stealing/profiting from anything. You still need to pay a fee to your isp to use the services provided.

Now I know there are things that should not be copied/pirated, however, the question must be asked as to why these things are even available on the net? Aren't companies profiting from the internet by using it as a way of free-advertisement? Aren't they using it as a way to share information towards the consumers? Isn't the internet run by the people and for the people?

p.s.-Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't government in the past (like a few centuries ago) purposely tried to burn down libraries and books in fear that the people of the state would overpower authority?

I agree with your library analogy. However the main difference imo atleast, lies not with the user, but with the file sharing site. A library does not operate for profit. That is, a library isn't making anyone rich, however these file sharing sites are making money not only via advertising, but also paying people through rewards programs based on popularity of their downloads, which is equivelant to paying people to upload copyrighted material. I question these sites making millions of dollars and claiming it's all in the name of sharing. There are exceptions naturally, such as fansubbers, who upload subs for a product that they typically buy,then upload subs for free making very little to no revenue purely off donations. To me this sticks with the spirit of sharing information and is how all such things should be done.

I do worry about the governments increased efforts in policing the internet, but I don't feel an ounce of pity for the owners of megaupload. Perhaps it is naivety on my part, but when I think of it, the donation system is really the only thing I find morally acceptable. Of course my morals only apply to myself, so in the end people may not agree and that's fine. I just can't see justification for a group of people intentionally making millions off other people's work, with a simple "service" albeit a conveniant one. I find it very similiar to bootlegging to be honest...

Feb 10, 2012 9:32 PM

Aug 2007
EquivXchange said:

There are?
Feb 10, 2012 9:36 PM

Oct 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
EquivXchange said:

There are?

I believe so...
Feb 10, 2012 9:44 PM

Aug 2007
EquivXchange said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
EquivXchange said:

There are?

I believe so...

Like what?
Feb 11, 2012 7:55 AM

Nov 2008
Gogetters said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Like what?
Dote up a Cat.

That's horrible, the kitten was innocent and didn't deserve such.

Feb 11, 2012 7:56 AM

Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
EquivXchange said:

There are?

Only stuff that can harm national security and top secret documents.

Feb 11, 2012 5:00 PM

Jun 2008
kodial said:
BTJunkie said:

2005 - 2012
This is the end of the line my friends. The decision does not come easy, but we've decided to voluntarily shut down. We've been fighting for years for your right to communicate, but it's time to move on. It's been an experience of a lifetime, we wish you all the best!

BTjunkie opted out.

I think it's safe to call it a victim of this war too.
adsuiabndivusbdv I was sad.

Then I found another site. Still it was a good site.
Mar 28, 2013 2:53 PM
Mar 2013
Megaupload is down. There are many alternates like Filevice.com, filehippo.com, etc..
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.