Forums
New
Aug 17, 2008 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
removed-userSep 24, 2021 8:43 AM
Aug 17, 2008 6:00 AM

Apr 2008

Well, I kinda had the same feeling. That I rather watch a good anime, then do my homework. Since at my school, they don't check if we have done our homework or not. But if it something important, like exams, or maybe if I got a test next day. I won't watch anime till I done with it. but I guess I more stubborn then you. When I really want to have something done, I do it.

Atm you seems to not have a choice than to study. You can always watch anime when you are done.
Aug 17, 2008 6:05 AM

Jul 2008
Don't blame anime. For people like you and me, if it wasn't anime, it would have been something else. ;)
Aug 17, 2008 6:10 AM

Apr 2008
Rethice said:
Don't blame anime. For people like you and me, if it wasn't anime, it would have been something else. ;)

Oh that's true. If there wasn't for anime. I would be playing games instead.
Aug 17, 2008 6:24 AM

Apr 2008
Rethice said:

So true. Back when I was doing my A-levels, all I could think about was playing video games.
Aug 17, 2008 6:36 AM

Jan 2008
Just write up a schedule and stick to it. 10 episodes a day or whatever.

If your grades suck there's a high chance you'll end up in a shitty job later down the line, working your arse off to pay the bills, and then you'll definitely have no time to indulge in your obsessions and hobbies.

Anime's not going anywhere.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 17, 2008 6:44 AM

May 2007
Don't blame anime, i my grades are pretty decent, I mean im not first in class but im not last either =D
Aug 17, 2008 6:51 AM

Jun 2008
My grades were always shit, anime didn't change em.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Aug 17, 2008 8:16 AM

Apr 2008
Ou school is pretty lazy with checking homework so i didnt really do them and i ended up with avarage/below avarage grades. i dont blame anime. i blame myself for not doing enough work. anime had nothing to do with it.
Aug 17, 2008 8:29 AM

Jun 2008
I know the feeling. But the problem is not anime. Is the fact that you just can't sit down and study because you don't want to. Anime is just an excuse. If it wasn't anime it would be games, TV, magazines, just about anything that would keep you from studying. You are just not strong enough in pushing yourself to do things he doesn't like.
One thing you can to is this. As we say to start something is very important. So go right now and open your study book( and i mean now!!!). Just say to your self that you are not gone study you are only gone a read the first 2 pages and then watch anime again but if you find that after those two pages you can keep yourself to continue studying then don't stop. With this way you may actually study a little.
Aug 17, 2008 8:49 AM

Nov 2007
I made it through school, and over a decade of working 9-5 while watching anime the whole way through. Never distracted me from my studies, nor did it ever make me late for work or cause me to skip a day. But I'm quite good about personal time management. You have to learn it if you have a time consuming hobby, or it can ruin your life; especially at such an important period as the end of highschool/entering higher education.
Aug 17, 2008 9:32 AM

May 2008
You should prioritize studying. Your problem is basically that you got too cocky and reached the conclusion that you don't need to study, or that you don't need that high of a grade. However, you should realize that what you do now has a great effect on the amount of work you will have to do in the future. For example, if you skip out on math, then once you get into college you will find yourself unable to grasp some of the more difficult concepts.
If you can't get yourself to study, it is always helpful to just turn the computer off and go do something else, like go outside. When you get back, just start studying right away. Another thing you can try and that has worked for me is to simply study at school, not excessively, just do the bare minimum. If you always do the minimum that is required of you and have a good level of intelligence, then you should be able to get through high school without too much difficulty.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Aug 17, 2008 11:17 AM

May 2008
Rethice said:

I relate to this statement so much.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 17, 2008 12:14 PM

Jun 2008
georgi said:
You should prioritize studying. Your problem is basically that you got too cocky and reached the conclusion that you don't need to study, or that you don't need that high of a grade. However, you should realize that what you do now has a great effect on the amount of work you will have to do in the future. For example, if you skip out on math, then once you get into college you will find yourself unable to grasp some of the more difficult concepts.
If you can't get yourself to study, it is always helpful to just turn the computer off and go do something else, like go outside. When you get back, just start studying right away. Another thing you can try and that has worked for me is to simply study at school, not excessively, just do the bare minimum. If you always do the minimum that is required of you and have a good level of intelligence, then you should be able to get through high school without too much difficulty.

It's not that he doesn't know that studying come first.He knows that he needs to study. He wouldn't ask for help if he didn't. I did the same thing and i knew it was wrong. Is the lack of willpower to force your self to do what he has to do. People who never had this problem can't understand.
MonadAug 17, 2008 4:21 PM
Aug 17, 2008 1:55 PM

Jul 2007
damn, my self control is almost at your level =)

ive spent the last year and a half watching anime like crazy, but i dont really find the need to study... calculus is an easy A for me, no hw and i can get A's by sleeping in class, and stuff like bio, once you hear the teacher say it once its pretty much set. i took physics a while back, but it was pretty much the same - easy A even sleeping in class.

I guess the only difference not watching anime would do is get me an A in english rather than the consistent B i get... all my essays i write in my previous class...

but anyways, the courses you listed were science/math related courses - all you really need to do is understand the concept, and everything else is mainly common sense - like, calculus was just learning the concept of derivatives and knowing that integrals are its opposite, and with that basic knowledge, all lessons taught could be derived individually. unlike english, numbers will always follow certain rules and will always be bound by logic and laws.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2008 2:24 PM

May 2008
salazar1 said:

It's not that he doesn't know that studying come first.He knows that he needs to study. He wouldn't ask for help if he didn't. I did the same thing and i knew it was wrong. Is the luck of willpower to force your self to do what he has to do. People who never had this problem can't understand.

I realize what you are saying. I didn't mean to say that he doesn't want help or that he doesn't want to study, I was saying that his will to study is weak because he subconsciously, or even consciously, has denied the need for him to study because of the good results he had before.
In otgher words, he has a weak will because he has an excuse not to study; it is that excuse that he relies on whenever he wants to entertain himself.
Aug 17, 2008 3:56 PM

Apr 2008
I was, and I gave up, in less than a week. Yeah that's hardcore failure.

Watch some guro or something. ¯\(º_o)/¯
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 17, 2008 4:09 PM

Jun 2007
wait a minute HS in the USA? if so usa education system is like a joke......... unless all those classes you listed are AP or something.

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Aug 17, 2008 4:31 PM

Jun 2008
georgi said:
salazar1 said:

It's not that he doesn't know that studying come first.He knows that he needs to study. He wouldn't ask for help if he didn't. I did the same thing and i knew it was wrong. Is the luck of willpower to force your self to do what he has to do. People who never had this problem can't understand.

I realize what you are saying. I didn't mean to say that he doesn't want help or that he doesn't want to study, I was saying that his will to study is weak because he subconsciously, or even consciously, has denied the need for him to study because of the good results he had before.
In otgher words, he has a weak will because he has an excuse not to study; it is that excuse that he relies on whenever he wants to entertain himself.

You are wrong. When i did something like that in the past i was not thinking that i was going to make it through the exams because i did it the last time. I knew that if i didn't study i was going to fail but still i count not make my self to sit and study. I had no excuse. I did almost everything except studying and even while i was doing other things i was telling my self that i was an idiot for not studying but still i count not get myself to open the book.
Aug 17, 2008 4:35 PM

Jul 2008
You should set up some device so that you an electric shock everytime you watch an anime episode. Then your brain will associate anime with pain, and you won't want to do it as much. After that you'll be able to hit the books.
Aug 17, 2008 5:49 PM

Jun 2008
Something like that started happening to me freshman year of college. I decided to schedule my time. I made myself study for a couple hours and then I watched a couple episodes of anime or tv, etc before I went to bed. I procrastinate so much so I have to force myself to study. It paid off in the end. Good luck.
Aug 17, 2008 6:01 PM

May 2008
yakyuu-addict said:
You should set up some device so that you an electric shock everytime you watch an anime episode. Then your brain will associate anime with pain, and you won't want to do it as much. After that you'll be able to hit the books.

That could be a nice invention. I wonder if it would sell well, though.
Aug 17, 2008 6:19 PM

Jul 2008
You procrastinate simply because you find anime, or whatever happens to be your interest at the time, to be more exciting than what you are studying. You also realize that when you go to an university and start taking classes, you are not going to enjoy them as much as you enjoy entertainment and procrastinate more. Then you realize that all your studying and work that you've put in gets you a job that, while pays better than a straight out of high school job, you will be doing the same things routinely until you get utterly sick of it. You will then either get married, raise children, and go through even more routine activities until you have some sort of crisis that makes you change your ways and take up new routines or you embrace the routines and become another device programmed for activities that this society forces on you. Or you don't get married, get divorced/widowed or whatever and then become disillusioned with life and seek to exit the system you have assigned yourself to, but you just end up becoming part of another system, a discouraged system of failures who choose not to take up conformity but are really conforming to their own subculture of despair. Then when you are on your deathbed you will either think "Well I lived my life as best as I could and I have wonderful children and grandchildren, but all my life I felt I never really accomplished what I really hoped for." Or you will say "I fought against what society offered me; I thought I was going to accomplish something by fighting all my life, but I ended up nowhere." Either that or you will die of cancer, AIDS, some random disease, car accident, murder, suicide, or some other reason. Maybe that's why you're discouraged with your studies? Because you, like 99.99999% of all people on this planet, including me, will not accomplish anything of any value in your life?
Aug 17, 2008 6:21 PM

Apr 2007
Cut off anime for a bit or watch very limited anime during the school year.

Thats what I did at least.

Aug 17, 2008 6:43 PM
Apr 2008
Procrastination and things like that haven't really ever happened to me. I always tend to do 2 week projects in the first week so I can have the next week to do whatever. I guess that's what drives me, some sort of incentive. In my case, it's a basically a week of beach house parties and running around air horning people in the face (not really because I'm in IB, and teachers give students a minimum of 6 hours of homework a night, no joke). Also due to the fact that when I get home, I start homework right away (yeah I'm a nerd). I leave the TV/computer/etc. crap off and just focus on my studies. I know that not everyone in the world has enough attention span and self control as me, but that's just how I roll. I do all my homework/studying on the floor, where it's least comfortable, if that helps you.
In your case, you might want to move on to some extreme actions. One of my friends actually took apart his bed frame, locked up his mattress and computer screen so he could do an all-nighter (yeah, that's what IB is like). If I were you, I'd just leave my computer off, and if that doesn't work, take out your power supply, lock it up, and give your mom/dad the key so they can take it to work. You could also make yourself a daily schedule to better manage your time, but that takes lots of persistence, and not even I do that.
Aug 22, 2008 8:47 AM

Apr 2008
I barely study, but I still make good grades.
Guess it really depends on the person, really.

But I can see why anime would make a person lazy, lmao.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2008 9:56 AM

Aug 2008
Cihan said:
Just write up a schedule and stick to it. 10 episodes a day or whatever.

If your grades suck there's a high chance you'll end up in a shitty job later down the line, working your arse off to pay the bills, and then you'll definitely have no time to indulge in your obsessions and hobbies.

Anime's not going anywhere.

That's still a lot...

Just think of where you want to be in a few years and how other people are working towards that same goal while you're indulging. Also, try to be optimistic about school. It's more fun if you do good at it. As you said, you where fine the year before. Just go back to that mentality. One last thing, anime's better if you only watch a few episodes a night. There's build up for each episode.
Gaiden199Aug 22, 2008 10:02 AM
Aug 22, 2008 12:35 PM

Aug 2008
get yourself a slow internet connection, when it takes forever to load you'll get discouraged and studying will seem like a better idea ;)

More topics from this board

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

15 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
22 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

68 by L0bsterman »»
4 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 50 minutes ago

14 by this_shit_again »»
7 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 7 hours ago

22 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

133 by LoveLikeBlood »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.