Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 11, 2012 4:51 PM

Jan 2012
While it is true lying is easy on the internet, I believe true love can work out in LDR. I'm currently in one with a girl who lives is Michigan while I live in Oregon. We have been dating several months now and we and chatted, Skype, and even talked on the phone and I plan to move out there when I become 18. (currently 17) So yes. I believe LDR can work if you both are honest and never stop loving the other person
Jan 11, 2012 9:11 PM
Mar 2010
I dont know how they work out... one friend of mine actually got married to a girl from another continent and stayed there with her. and she was dedicated to the relationship they both had. she never fooled around behind his back and it lasted (before marriage) 2 years... up to now, they're still together. its great.

but I'm in the middle of one right now, but... seeing this thread & many other responses, I think I'll just remain as friends -- cause thats how it just started for me.
Jan 11, 2012 11:10 PM

Apr 2007
BloomingFlora said:
While it is true lying is easy on the internet, I believe true love can work out in LDR. I'm currently in one with a girl who lives is Michigan while I live in Oregon. We have been dating several months now and we and chatted, Skype, and even talked on the phone and I plan to move out there when I become 18. (currently 17) So yes. I believe LDR can work if you both are honest and never stop loving the other person

Believing is not the same as practically working. In theory if both people are honest and committing to each other of course it can work. That's not how things work in reality though.

Because it is easier to find someone you like on the internet, it is hard for the relationship to actually work out. When looking for someone, you just ignore/block those that you don't like and focus on those who do. Same thing for when you are tired of that person. Just block them online and you don't have to deal with them. In real life, you would see each other much more often. It would be much more awkward to break it off that way.
Jan 12, 2012 12:13 AM

Jan 2012
do yourself a favor and avoid it
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 12, 2012 2:22 AM
May 2009
Avoid it where you can. In current society, long distance doesn't work. Doesn't matter how great our communication technology has advanced. At the end we all run out of things to share and talk, making the relationship mundane and eventually the gap between you will get larger and larger. Till it all just stops.
Jan 12, 2012 4:39 AM

Jul 2007
Infinite8 said:
It never works! Time is constantly flowing..

Wat.

Also, it works if you want to make it work. There's not a whole load else to it.
Jan 12, 2012 6:28 AM

Jan 2011
NoobHunterD said:
do yourself a favor and avoid it

Yes... Listen to the dancing melonpan.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jan 13, 2012 2:09 AM
Jan 2012
I've never been in a serious relationship before, nor a long-distance relationship, but from what I have seen and heard from my friends, they don't work, and they don't last a long time.

I think it all depends- it depends on how far away they are from you, how easy is it to visit each other, how in love you are, etc.

I believe that every relationship can work; attraction and the person's motivation determines the results. I think attraction boosts motivation, also.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to engage in one (i.e., if it happens LATER in the relationship, that's different) from the start. The point of a romantic union is to spend a lot of time with the person you love; that's just not possible in an LDR. It may seem all poetically romantic and dedicated at first, but I'll bet that it's a lot more trouble than you get results for.

'Cos let's face it- nobody wants to be in something where individual and/or mutual results aren't present.
Jan 13, 2012 4:16 AM

Jan 2012
I believe relationships in general can work at a distance. but for lovers it can be tough.
A friend is someone who is there for you and ready to support you and have fun, but a lover is something on a deeper lever; something that can't be filled through distance unless you see each other occasionally.

If it's someone you already know - but they need to move away or similar, then in cases I think it can make your love stronger. But this person needs be a real thing you can see and touch.
Jan 13, 2012 6:54 AM

Jul 2007
Infinite8 said:
Scud said:
Infinite8 said:

Wat.

Also, it works if you want to make it work. There's not a whole load else to it.

Its sad but its true.. Alot of people who posted here have explained it better than me, but you need some god like determination and unbelievable loyalty to keep it going for a long..
Guess I have god-like determination then.
Jan 13, 2012 7:10 AM

Feb 2007
Scud said:
Infinite8 said:
Scud said:
Infinite8 said:

Wat.

Its sad but its true.. Alot of people who posted here have explained it better than me, but you need some god like determination and unbelievable loyalty to keep it going for a long..
Guess I have god-like determination then.

Scud having god-like determination is the funniest thing I've read all day.
Jan 13, 2012 8:39 AM
Jan 2012
In my experience it totally depends on the people. If you require a fair amount of affection and physical closeness, then it is a matter of time until things get tricky or fall apart. For rare couples who can both be satisfied with verbal or written communication, then I've seen it work for many years through long marriages and children. But, frankly, I have no idea what makes those purple tick.
verdsteinJan 13, 2012 8:54 AM
Jan 13, 2012 10:06 PM

Jun 2009
best advice: if she/he says they found a cool friend, it's game over. people have a habit of comforting others and then capitalizing on the situation...
insert awesome sig here...
Jan 14, 2012 3:24 AM
Jan 2012
t3hrabb1t said:
best advice: if she/he says they found a cool friend, it's game over.
True, unfortunately. It also works with close-range relationships. "He's just my friend" and bam, seven days from now, "We can't be together".
Jan 14, 2012 4:01 AM
Aug 2011
Four, five years ago i "dated" i guy, who was studying in my country. (well, maybe it was more like summer romance x)). Anyway, he was a good guy, we understand each other, and i somehow liked him. After few months we were questioning ourselfs, what'll happen, when he get back to his home country. I didn't want to end it, hoping and wishing to visit him and that we will managed somehow, but in the end, he broke up with me. Of course i was sad ... but deep in my heart i realized, it was for the best. Now it's a good, nice memory.

Maybe someone has a different experience, but from my point of view i'm against it. I don't know, what should/could happen, that the relationship should/could work. If you like or even love someone, you 're everyday wish is, to see him/her, or to hear him/her. Ok yes, in a distance relationship you could see and hear each other through messenger, skype ... but it's not the same. Well, maybe you value those few moments, but you must be strong person. That's my opinion.
Jan 14, 2012 5:34 AM

Aug 2011
Awesome. You only have to see her, when you want to and have no daily obligation to constantly spend time with her, because as time passes by, you will want to do stuff on your own again.
But in the long run, the distance has to change, or it's not gonna work out anymore.
Worked out over 2 years for me, but then it just became a nuisance. That's where you have to end it, or it gets messy.
Jan 14, 2012 12:09 PM

Apr 2009
My ''internet'' boyfriend just left yesterday morning after being here for 3 weeks for the third time.
I think it can work if you're old enough to travel alone and have the guts to tell people irl about them.
He plans to come here for college after summer and of course theres more times in between we are going to see eachother.

On the other hand an internet relationship where you cant see the person at all is really hard to keep together.

Infinite8 said:

Why is that hard if you love the person?
If you dont whats the point of going through all that trouble.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jan 15, 2012 2:05 PM
Oct 2011
Saying that they never work is pretty much true. You'll never have a long-distance relationship last a lifetime. At some point you will either have to split or move in together making it no longer "long-distance". If you can make it to that point, most likely it'll work fine. Unless you can TRULY see that able to happen in the future, don't get too serious.. it will hurt you more in the long run.

I wasted too much of my life and lost too many of my friends due to online relationships that consumed my time.
Jan 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Jun 2011
IMO

doesnt work, cos women is bitches

guys want to fuck your girlfriend and she feels alone and sad

if you really loved eachother you would be together at all costs

(together in the traditional sense, where you can touch and see eachother)
Jan 15, 2012 3:34 PM

Apr 2007
t3hrabb1t said:
best advice: if she/he says they found a cool friend, it's game over. people have a habit of comforting others and then capitalizing on the situation...

Haha, this is definitely where loyalty kicks in.

My boyfriend makes it clear that he has a girlfriend to every girl he befriends/is friends with. If they still want a friendship, he still always brings me up in a conversation or when the other girl tries to talk crap about me and that LDRs don't work out, he drops her immediately.

I agree w/ @Ekoskotzi though: at some point the long distance will have to stop. You can't have a long distance marriage, or something. It's usually a temporary "bump" in a relationship.

I agree with whoever said relationships in general don't work out, either. Just like a LDR, it takes trust, determination, and communication.

Jan 15, 2012 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
I've only had one relationship that lasted 3 years and it wasn't long distance; we were sort of like high school sweethearts in a way. But, keeping a long distance relationship would be emotionally exhausting :\ Congratulations to those who managed to make it work (:
Jan 15, 2012 6:55 PM
Jun 2008
they suck big time!
Jan 16, 2012 1:29 AM

Jan 2010
Hate to be negative, but from my experience they never work out. I once dated a girl from canada and, well, it didn't work out.The good thing about it is that they develop trust.

Good luck though. Maybe you'll make it work.
Jan 16, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2009
it works better than loving an anime character.
Jan 16, 2012 9:07 AM

Jul 2007
It's hard to argue whether or not long distance relationships work because it depends on the individuals. Obviously, some people can be clingy and need their partner with them at all times, and some people have a lot going on in their lives that a long distance relationship is beneficial.

However, I can argue this.

when you're in a long distance relationship, you are not getting to know your partner to their full extent

In my opinion, to really know a person inside out, you have to be with them constantly, almost every day. Not just on skype or on the phone. You all know as well as I do that people can act different in real life. In a LDR, you can't truly grasp someone's full personality because, well, long distance relationship is solely based on conversations here and there. It goes beyond knowing a person inside out, it's also a matter of being natural and comfortable with each other's presence to a point where you can start to see each other's flaws. In my opinion, it's important to see someone's flaws because that's how you know if a relationship is going to work or not. It's hard to see flaws when you're in a long distance relationship.

...that's just me :P
Jan 16, 2012 2:16 PM

Jul 2011
Yes I have had 1. I just texted him and called him alot. You can also video chat!^^
~anna
Jan 16, 2012 6:36 PM

Jul 2011
Pessoa said:

Can't argue with that.
Jan 17, 2012 5:40 AM
May 2009
QuantumZero125 said:
Pessoa said:

Can't argue with that.

True.
Jan 17, 2012 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
I had a long distant relationship 4 years ago on a site called "gaiaonline" the relationship was pretty nice and lasted for about 3 years and me and the girl still talk today.
Jan 18, 2012 10:52 AM

Jan 2011
QuantumZero125 said:
Pessoa said:

Can't argue with that.

Are there actually people who do that?
Jan 18, 2012 11:00 AM

Apr 2009
Vinter said:
QuantumZero125 said:
Pessoa said:

Can't argue with that.

where have you been all your lifetime?
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jan 18, 2012 1:23 PM

Jan 2011
xxangelchanxx said:
Vinter said:
QuantumZero125 said:
Pessoa said:

Can't argue with that.

where have you been all your lifetime?

Amongst sane people, apparently... ^^
I mean, I've heard about it, but I just thought it was a joke. Like saying someone's in love with their hand, it's just a little joke to make fun of someone for not having a boyfriend/girlfriend.
Jan 19, 2012 3:06 AM

Sep 2010
Yes I have been in a long distance relationship for now over two years. We met online, due to the fact he lives in America and I live in Australia it would have been impossible to meet him in person. Anyway, I have been saving for the past year and a half to go see him and I just came back from the USA.

Before then we always would skype, infact skype is what keeps us so close I believe. Constantly we Skype, we eat, we sleep, we watch anime, we do our own thing, watch tv, but we're always on a call through Skype. A lot of people have told me "oh pft this won't work out" but we've made it work in our own way.

I had the time of my life with him and I'm continuing to save for the future and look forward to the day we close the distance, for now though I'm comfortable for everything to stay the way it is for a while. I honestly think that our relationship is one that will work, with no doubts at all. Positive thinking, skype and ignoring bs from people are part of the solution aha :3
Jan 20, 2012 7:10 AM

Dec 2011
I already tried twice. Both of them not work. ^^;
Jan 20, 2012 8:23 AM

Sep 2009
I've had one, but it was only because my boyfriend was away for Marine training and whatnot. It's difficult to get through, but if you like (or love) them enough, the relationship can persevere.
Jan 20, 2012 9:46 AM

Dec 2010
kiltroutgore said:
but if you like (or love) them enough, the relationship can persevere.

You could be the most loyal and devoted, and things still wouldn't work out. It isn't that simple.

edit: typo
LaurietJan 22, 2012 3:24 PM
Jan 20, 2012 11:02 AM

Nov 2011
I had one for a year distance Portugal-UK(quite a big one)... We are together for 2years and 6 months already, everything started with distance but now we live together for 1 year a 5 months already xP

1 year and a month of the relationship was at distance ^^

It depends on the couple itself, it needs efforts to be made by the two.

We used to make video calls on skype, play together in MMRPG's, even watching films/animes when the call was being made xP.

Jan 20, 2012 11:42 AM

Sep 2010
I'm in a LDR (100 miles / just under 3 hours on the train) and yes, it's not as easy as a relationship where you can be together whenever, but it's totally worth it. I think one of the most important things is knowing that there's going to be a time when you will be together whenever you like - for us, it will be when he finishes uni next summer and moves back. I imagine if you don't know that that will ever happen it makes it hard to feel fully invested.

Since almost everyone on here's so negative (some comments naively so, I'd say) I think it's worth noting that relationships between people who finally get to stay together after being in a LDR tend to last longer than those of regular couples, and they report greater happiness in the relationship too.

It's equally ridiculous to say 'it doesn't work' or 'anyone can make it work if you really love each other'' because ultimately it's entirely down to the individuals. I absolutely know for sure they can work out wonderfully, but certainly a lot of people aren't suited to it.

Also, I found this site quite a while ago - www.lovingfromadistance.com, which is really sweet and has suggestions on how to make LDRs work, suggestions on what to do together, and stories about successful LDRs.
Jan 22, 2012 3:11 PM

May 2010
They can work out. I think one of the biggest advantages of a long distance relationship is that you will like someone by her/his personality rather than the physical aspects. In my opinion a long distance relationship depends on: commitment, honesty and trust. In the end it will come down to the individual and his/her cultural background.

I do think that it is an essential part to have an ending point in a long distance relationship. There should be something that both are working towards to. (e.g. closing the distance)

It's fair to say that being long distance is a good "check" whether you really love someone or not. As in general a long distance couple would deal with more core issues of a relationship than a normal relationship.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.