Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2012 1:14 PM

Dec 2011
Just a quick question, I thought that Brotherhood was a sequel to FMA, but now I realise this isn't the case. I know their storylines take different routes but I hear there are many similar scenes. Is it possible to watch both, and if so, which first? Thank you in advance.
Jan 2, 2012 1:20 PM
Nov 2010
Yes, it is possible to watch both. Which one to watch first? That would depend on which one you want to watch. But I personally recommend Brotherhood since it's more close to the original source (i.e. the manga)
Jan 2, 2012 1:22 PM

Jan 2008
Brotherhood follows the Manga. The other FMA has a similar story but takes it on differently after a certain episode. I believe it's the one where they go back to visit their sensei. After that it's different.

I'd recommend Brotherhood, as the first FMA had a disappointing ending and movie.
Jan 2, 2012 1:23 PM

Dec 2011
Well people say FMA Brotherhood was much better than FMA. I honestly don't know which is better since I haven't watched Brotherhood (read partial parts of Manga though). So I think you should go with Brotherhood.
Jan 2, 2012 1:24 PM

Apr 2010
I would always say watch the original first. Then watch the sequel, since it's better. Just so you know what you're dealing with. Because there were some scenes and aspects of the original FMA that were done better than the sequel.

Jan 2, 2012 1:32 PM

Jun 2009
First the 2003 version. Then Brotherhood. The original gives itself much more time to develop characters early on (although there are some filler). Brotherhood REALLY rushes the first 15 or so eps. I didn't enjoy that at all.
Also watch FMA 2003 simply because it has a different take on it. Basically the premise is the same but it evolves into a show of its own. Any why would you only watch one of them , if both are awesome in their respective ways?
Jan 2, 2012 1:36 PM

Dec 2011
Here is the deal.
The first series (Titled FMA Bones or simply FMA) Take a diferent route becouse in some time the series reached the manda, and to no make any filler the studio decided to create an alternate ending (wich is in theoiry the end of "conqueror of shambala" movie)

Later when the manga anounced an ending the studio started with FMA Brotherhood wich follows exactly the events of the manga, and have the same end of the manga.

You can watch wichever you want, in the order you want.Both ar higly recomended, and awesome history lines. Just be carefull that the movie "Conqueror of shambara" is the end of FMA Bones and the upcoming movie Milos no Seinaru Hoshi (or "sacred star of milos") is setled some time in between the history of FMA Brotherhood
Jan 2, 2012 1:39 PM

Dec 2009
Both.

I believe that you can enjoy Brotherhood even more if you have seen the "original" FMA.

But that is just my opinion. And Lust has a bigger role in the first one :3
Jan 2, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2011
both without a doubt, start with the 2003 one then the manga, the whole debate over which is better is so fucking pointless its not even funny,

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 2, 2012 1:55 PM

Mar 2009
After watching the first FMA I was skeptical bout a remake but Brotherhood knocked me out. For me, FMA is a 9.999 and FMA: B is a 10. You would be fine just watching Brotherhood but as Sir_Lexa and grandy_UiDsay, watching the two in production order is optimum.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jan 2, 2012 1:58 PM

Jul 2011
I'd have to agree with the majority that you should watch both. I personally thought that both versions of FMA were great.
Jan 2, 2012 1:59 PM

Jun 2008
grandy_UiD said:
First the 2003 version. Then Brotherhood. The original gives itself much more time to develop characters early on (although there are some filler). Brotherhood REALLY rushes the first 15 or so eps. I didn't enjoy that at all.
Also watch FMA 2003 simply because it has a different take on it. Basically the premise is the same but it evolves into a show of its own. Any why would you only watch one of them , if both are awesome in their respective ways?

I agree with this. Brotherhood rushed threw the first episodes that are basically the same as the first FMA because the makers probably thought that the viewers already saw them from the previous series so i guess is wise to watch the previous series first.

After the first half Brotherhood really turns to be the better one in the end but that's just another reason to watch the first FMA first. Because despite being less good than Brotherhood, it still is a very good anime and if you watch Brotherhood first you might not enjoy it as much while I enjoyed both by watching the first series first.
Jan 2, 2012 3:28 PM

Mar 2009
Woah . . . .did someone put something in the water or something. We all seem to be agreeing . . . .
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jan 2, 2012 6:37 PM
Jan 2012
I would definitely say to watch both and in any order you want. FMA had better and deeper explanations for the homunculus, but FMA:Brotherhood, touched you more. and also, the "ending" of FMA was terrible, whilst the ending for Brotherhood was much much better. watch both in either order because one will fulfill the other regardless of order you see them in. just to tell you, there are some characters that were in one that arent in the other. also, level of importance for each character is different
Jan 2, 2012 7:08 PM
Nov 2011
Watch the original first and then Brotherhood. If u for whatever reason dont want to watch both, then definately go Brotherhood.
Jan 2, 2012 8:27 PM

Aug 2009
Why not watch both? You can watch whatever one you want first since they're not related, but to go against everyone else so far I'm going to say watch the original FMA first or if you're only going to watch one, since the original series was FAR better than Brotherhood, in my opinion.
Jan 2, 2012 8:45 PM

Nov 2009
I found FMA to be much smoother at the beginning and much more emotional overall; it was the first anime to make me feel anything. The animation was much more detailed as well, and the soundtrack was just brilliant. Both are great series, though, so definitely watch both if you have the time. C:

More topics from this board

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 6 hours ago

6 by DMind »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
5 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
10 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Yesterday

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.