Forum Settings
Forums

which do you like more? math/science vs language/social vs art/music

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Favorite subject/major

Dec 29, 2011 2:56 PM

im a physics major and also going for chemical engineering so first option for me.

Dec 29, 2011 3:11 PM

Woop, the one that doesn't have essays!

Dec 29, 2011 3:18 PM

Language or social especially language.

Dec 29, 2011 3:53 PM

Language/Social but I prefer Social... if you mean social sciences? I find sociology and history extra interesting.

Dec 29, 2011 3:54 PM

Physics all up in here. Physics is our world and everything. It's an explanation for every single thing (well at least it aims to be).

Dec 29, 2011 6:42 PM

I like language, and the social sciences. It's really interesting to see what people can do with it.

Dec 29, 2011 7:07 PM

Language, sure its great and can make you more charismatic, but math/science is just that. In the end, the benefits to society of development of science (perhaps through math) is far more important than that of Language. So usefulness, Language, practicality, it'd have to be Math/Science.

I like them all. ^^

Dec 29, 2011 7:12 PM

Ryuokoi said:
I'm good at Language, Art/Music.
unfortunately, I enjoy Science. And I'm terrible with math. but it's my favourite.

I wanted to major in Astrophysics until I realized that I'm terrible at math. Then I found out that I love East Asian Languages and Linguistics.

Dec 29, 2011 7:41 PM
Damn, so you subjected Mathematics with Science, huh? Well, I'm not into Mathematics but I love Biology and Chemistry. Cosmology is another of my favorites but it's not taught to us 17year-olds. I'm not much of a fan of numericals, though derivations of formulas particualrly in Physics is cool. Fine-Arts has been chosen by me as a secondary/optional subject since I'm an artist, too, that too a good one. Language is decent; Social Science, on the other hand, is exceptionally boring, especially history.

Dec 29, 2011 7:51 PM

Where can be subcategorized the field of neuroscience? I mean, it is blatantly sciency but at my university the program is classified into the department of social sciences for some reason. Either way, I'd have to go with Math/Science nevertheless. Used to major in physics, switched to neuroscience due to the prospects being somewhat bleak and to my overall tendency to procrastinate.

Dec 29, 2011 8:26 PM

I am much better in social sciences than I am in physical sciences. Nonetheless, I definitely prefer science/math over social sciences and art.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.

Dec 29, 2011 8:44 PM

I like art more, since my hobby is drawing :)

Dec 29, 2011 10:17 PM

I hate math but love science. Foreign languages are pretty great, English classes were the biggest waste of my time I have ever been subjected to. Social studies/History/Government were semi-useful, but not too interesting. Art and music are great if you have the patience for them; I didn't. Ironically I now want to take a music theory course somewhere.

Dec 29, 2011 11:42 PM

Math and Science, definitely not for me.

Language and Social is where I get my good grades.

Art and Music; I love and appreciate the different kinds of them out there but academically speaking, I get bad grades for both.

✩ 調和 ✩ twitter ໒꒱˚ youtube
Lonely in Gorgeous
♡‧₊

Dec 30, 2011 1:20 AM
Math and science, fo' sure. I'm more interested in learning how shit blows up than in other subjects.

Dec 30, 2011 1:25 AM

Vegeance said:
QuantumZero125 said:
Where can be subcategorized the field of neuroscience? I mean, it is blatantly sciency but at my university the program is classified into the department of social sciences for some reason. Either way, I'd have to go with Math/Science nevertheless. Used to major in physics, switched to neuroscience due to the prospects being somewhat bleak and to my overall tendency to procrastinate.

Yo I'm in the same boat.
Just learning about behavioral biology, chaos theory, butterfly effect, group theory, game theory.. etc

I love philosophy, physics, neuroscience, behavioral biology, cognitive/evo psychology, mathematical modelling/symbolical abstraction, a little bit of chemistry, some physics/c/q-mechanics, etc

There's a lot of good stuff on YT (i.e. Robert Sapolsky) for learning about things whether you believe it or not! And quite possibly entertaining too.

Neuroscience overlaps between physical and social sciences (concerning about humans specifically, nature of human, consciousness, chemistry/interactions of neurons/networks/synapses/genetics/differences/diseases/interplay/orchestration/systems/applications to domains of computational sciences/shapes/order/etc/philosophy..).
There are many subfields to neuroscience too..
neurobiology
neurophysiology
behavioral neuroscience
computation neuroscience
mole/dev neuro...
etc
pseudoscience

Dec 30, 2011 3:38 AM

Languages.

Words are.... fantastique.

Dec 30, 2011 3:59 AM

Otsdarva said:
Languages.

Oh it is.

✩ 調和 ✩ twitter ໒꒱˚ youtube
Lonely in Gorgeous
♡‧₊

Dec 30, 2011 4:16 AM

Flaky said:
Otsdarva said:
Languages.

Oh it is.

Makes my heart go all flutter, flutter when I find people that can agree with me.

Dec 30, 2011 4:47 AM

I hate them all equally.
weh

Dec 30, 2011 4:51 AM

I like science but not maths, and I like art but couldn't care about artsy music stuff.

Dec 30, 2011 5:12 AM

Hmmmm....what i love? I love all of them. I can see the beauty of their existence. Maybe math as standalone exercises is something i love a little less but you can't do science without finding them in frond of you so their presence is necessary for the development of science and that is one of the most awesome things that changes the world.
The ability if mathematics to be nothing but rules and cold conclusions is something i appreciate but it also makes me dislike them as a person that hates strict rules, single minded things and cold assessments. That's why mathematics as academic exercises really can a painful boring experience at times to me. On the other hand if you include them into science then they transform because suddenly they ain't just cold symbols that simply torture your brain but they have a purpose and a vision of creating something or finding a mystery. They can even be wrong or half right or an assumption and not cold facts because even if they confirm something scientific their numbers are not the only factor.

Now languages for me are no different than art, music, poetry etc. Hearing those different ways of speaking and expressing yourself seems like something artistic and even scientific to me. shows the amazing human ingenuity by creating them and also there rhythm and flow can sound like art.

In the end almost all have a little of the other inside them. Languages have rules etc that might resemble math in a way, the same is to write music and even learn the right proportions at drawing etc. On the other hand math alone have nothing but cold calculations but science puts the art into math science those calculations can suddenly be creating something beautiful and philosophize and not just calculate for the hell of it.
Modified by Monad, Dec 30, 2011 5:24 AM

Dec 30, 2011 5:31 AM

I love Math but Math doesn't love me back (insert Homer's "Duh!'). My brain goes AWOL big time but I try to read up on the Sciences or watch 'educational' channels where they will show math theories at work. Fascinating as long as I don't see the formulas. Love Stephen Hawking and his ideas.

Dec 30, 2011 5:39 AM
Eternal Shipper

None of the above

Dec 30, 2011 7:17 AM

I'm an art major, and I'm slowly beginning to prefer math. I don't particularly enjoy having my grade hinge on the efforts of whatever incompetent or jerky partners I'm paired with. I'd rather my grade be dependent on my own merits.

Dec 30, 2011 7:24 AM

I hate maths and science lol. Languages/social for me.

Dec 30, 2011 7:43 AM

maths/science, language also but only if its a new one^.^
hate social-.-''

Dec 30, 2011 10:54 AM

As far as studying goes, definitely maths/science. I like learning languages though, foreign ones that is. I hate analysing literature and arts in general. Takes away all the pleasure that I get consuming art otherwise.

Dec 30, 2011 11:38 AM

DarChronicle said:
I like them all. ^^

^
this

doesn't mean i'm equally good at them but yeah.. i especially like chemistry, languages, music and art. if i had to decide on one, however, it'd definitely be languages.

Dec 30, 2011 12:04 PM

Math and science (true nerd). I'm a math major and want to go to grad school in math once I'm done with my army commitment.

Dec 30, 2011 12:15 PM

in terms of school lessons i just loved chemistry and maths (because i am a bit of a nerd :P )

but my hobbies are listening to music and drawing and photography, i didn't like them as much when i was learning them though apart from art.

Dec 30, 2011 12:43 PM

Science

I hate math

Dec 30, 2011 1:57 PM

Science. I don't personally enjoy writing in any kind of creative sense, though I do have an immense interest in creative writing itself (reading it, that is). Science, on the other hand, can be applied to so much. Mathematics is useless without the application of science and every other subject, such as language, history, ect... requires a thorough foundation in the sciences to fundamentally understand. For me, personally, I enjoy biology and chemistry the most, especially the biological aspect of life, such as evolution.

Gogetters said:
Science

I hate math

Kind of odd... You can't understand anything past abstract synopsis's, and terminology, in the field of science without mathematics.

Dec 30, 2011 5:50 PM

Maths and Science, even though I love music more than anything else, having a major in music is not an option for me but I till love science and aspire for a major in neurology.

Dec 30, 2011 6:46 PM

art/music is ma thing
this is my god damn signature.

Dec 30, 2011 6:47 PM

I like maths and science because I am good at it. Also, I don't like essays.

Dec 30, 2011 6:53 PM

lucjan said:
Kind of odd... You can't understand anything past abstract synopsis's, and terminology, in the field of science without mathematics.
Different kinds of science~ Geoscience for example.

I wish computer science wasn't so math heavy or I'd be more into it...
Modified by Gogetters, Dec 30, 2011 7:00 PM

Dec 30, 2011 7:44 PM

Gogetters said:
lucjan said:
Different kinds of science~ Geoscience for example.

I wish computer science wasn't so math heavy or I'd be more into it...

Geoscience requires math.

Dec 30, 2011 8:36 PM

I meant to vote for Language/Social, because the former is my major, but I accidentally voted for Art/Music ^_^;.

Dec 30, 2011 9:10 PM
Fave subject would be Maths, though I'm taking up Mass Communication which is under Language/Social. xD Weird, eh?

Dec 30, 2011 9:14 PM

I hate anything that has math involved. I love english and social science(history, ect.) tho.

Dec 31, 2011 8:31 AM

Since I'm a Communications major, I voted for Language/Social. However, I'm one of those people who likes and also does very well in almost all subjects. (Sorry if that sounds arrogant -- not my intention)

Dec 31, 2011 8:39 AM

Math's my life, although I do enjoy my other subjects as well. Like, I find myself seeing how far I can go with Pascal's Triangle when I get bored. It's so fun. 8D

Dec 31, 2011 9:20 AM

lucjan said:
Gogetters said:
Science

I hate math

Hating math doesn't mean you can't use it. As some else who loves science and hates math, that's how it is for me. Using formulas is not hard at all, it's all just plug and chug, as they say. Compare that to, say, linear algebra.

Dec 31, 2011 12:21 PM

Well I'm an electrical engineering major so I guess math/science.

Dec 31, 2011 12:29 PM

Vegeance said:
QuantumZero125 said:

Yo I'm in the same boat.
Just learning about behavioral biology, chaos theory, butterfly effect, group theory, game theory.. etc

I love philosophy, physics, neuroscience, behavioral biology, cognitive/evo psychology, mathematical modelling/symbolical abstraction, a little bit of chemistry, some physics/c/q-mechanics, etc

There's a lot of good stuff on YT (i.e. Robert Sapolsky) for learning about things whether you believe it or not! And quite possibly entertaining too.

Neuroscience overlaps between physical and social sciences (concerning about humans specifically, nature of human, consciousness, chemistry/interactions of neurons/networks/synapses/genetics/differences/diseases/interplay/orchestration/systems/applications to domains of computational sciences/shapes/order/etc/philosophy..).
There are many subfields to neuroscience too..
neurobiology
neurophysiology
behavioral neuroscience
computation neuroscience
mole/dev neuro...
etc

Can't say I'm a fervant supporter of the popularizing of sciences (also known as Brian Greene physics), I prefer going deep into the subject. But yeah, I also find myself interested in too many fields, but I had to make a heartbreaking lifechanging decision as to which I would choose and decided to go for the one involving the least effort. I currently study in cognitive/behavioural neuroscience; psychology is cute and all but I'm mostly into the mapping of cortical functions.

Dec 31, 2011 1:10 PM

AbstractCalamity said:
lucjan said:
Gogetters said:
Science

I hate math

Hating math doesn't mean you can't use it. As some else who loves science and hates math, that's how it is for me. Using formulas is not hard at all, it's all just plug and chug, as they say. Compare that to, say, linear algebra.

Linear algebra is fine. Matrices are used in science all the time. The math that sucks is proofs. My god do I hate proofs.

Dec 31, 2011 1:17 PM

Science and Math. To me the courses seems more logical in a sense. Basically I can decipher the logic of science and math better and faster than any other courses.

Dec 31, 2011 1:25 PM

Science is the building block of society otherwise we would still be in the medieval ages or earlier.
Naturally mathematics is the backbone of science. Granted mathematics is only a tool to explain the physical phenomenon that we observer through our senses so we can then understand what is going on and further predict the future and advance society.

But honestly Language is very important as its a means of communicating ideas (and science) to one another via speaking or writing. I wish I knew more than English and Japanese so I could learn more from different countries. Of course social groups are needed to pass information to other people who are similarly interested.

Lastly music/art is more entertainment value and leisure self expression than the other two. Granted I love music/art I have a DSLR camera and a piano I use all the time. Oh of course, watching anime =w=

That's a good order I would put it in importance wise. I am nearly completed my PhD in electrical engineering, and it has really opened my eyes and mind to a new way to look at life more subjective and with reason/logical values. I guess that's actually what being a scientist is? Granted I'm still in my infancy of it. Just wish I had more time during the day to do everything more!

Dec 31, 2011 1:33 PM

CrusaderT2 said:
Science is the building block of society otherwise we would still be in the medieval ages or earlier.
Naturally mathematics is the backbone of science. Granted mathematics is only a tool to explain the physical phenomenon that we observer through our senses so we can then understand what is going on and further predict the future and advance society.

But honestly Language is very important as its a means of communicating ideas (and science) to one another via speaking or writing. I wish I knew more than English and Japanese so I could learn more from different countries. Of course social groups are needed to pass information to other people who are similarly interested.

Lastly music/art is more entertainment value and leisure self expression than the other two. Granted I love music/art I have a DSLR camera and a piano I use all the time. Oh of course, watching anime =w=

That's a good order I would put it in importance wise. I am nearly completed my PhD in electrical engineering, and it has really opened my eyes and mind to a new way to look at life more subjective and with reason/logical values. I guess that's actually what being a scientist is? Granted I'm still in my infancy of it. Just wish I had more time during the day to do everything more!

If your talking about the building blocks of society, I would say language is much more significant. Human societies formed with the development of things such as the Code of Law.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »