Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

Poll: Would you use MyMangaList?

Feb 1, 2007 10:53 AM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Stay tuned, let me know if you'd use it. :)

I'm going to need some serious help setting up this database as I'm not entirely familiar with manga information. For example, how should we record reading a manga? By volume, by chapter? By both?
Modified by Luna, Mar 4, 2013 1:09 PM

Feb 1, 2007 11:45 AM

lawl and after all this resistance you put up. personally i dont read enough manga to make a list.

Feb 1, 2007 11:49 AM
Site Administrator
Overlord

I realized that there are really any sites other there that are offering anything like this. MyAnimeList isn't a new idea, but MyMangaList sort of is.

Feb 1, 2007 11:52 AM

How about "I don't really mind"? :P

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths

Feb 1, 2007 12:03 PM
ann has a manga section aswell

Feb 1, 2007 2:30 PM

i'd use it. I read as much manga as I do watch anime if not more. So my list might be really huge. There have been some times that I've actually downloaded a series that I have already read. As for recording manga, you should have an option of doing both vol. and chapter. The main problem is actually setting up the database and adding the manga because of the much wider selection than anime. Even ann doesn't have a complete list

Feb 1, 2007 2:39 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

That's not necessarily a problem, just a time consumer, heh.

So, I need some people to give me a list of what an Manga Database should entail. Just like our Anime Database has certain details for each series, what kinda of details should be have for each manga entry?

I also need information on what type of information should be stored for a list entry (when adding manga to your list what kind of options do you get to fill in?).

Feb 1, 2007 5:25 PM

For the volume and chapter thing, I would say chapter at first because there are a lot of manga oneshots out there that have no volumes (meaning the story is just one or two chapters). And also people who read new manga that only have a few chapters down can add it to their list. Also for the ongoing manga that have chapters that are not part of any volume.

We also need volume cause stuff like older series we would have great difficultly knowing how many chapters it would have (since everything has already been compiled). The manga database would be a lot harder to do for information since there is so little.

Okay, details for manga entries. I'm sort of brainstorming.

(Same as MAL stuff)
- Synopsis
- Genre
- Relations
- Start/End Date
- Completed/Ongoing/On Hold/Not Published Yet

- Author and artist (and maybe in the future a feature to search by this), note that we would need to be able to put more then one name as some series have a different person to draw and to write (like Death note). Or have more then one person on the series basically.

- Publisher (maybe a choice to put more then just the Japanese publisher, we can also list down who publishes it in different countries, eg. US, France, Singapore, Taiwan)

- Serialization (to say what magazine it is/was in)

- Adaptations. Adaptations, perhaps somehow connect it to MAL, since a lot of anime are adaptations of manga. And also a place to let us fill in that adaptations of the manga were made in the form of a live action drama, video game, novel. And also some manga are adaptations of anime, novels, video games. (In other words it works both ways)

Will Korean comics (manwha) be allowed into the database?

Ideas for the manga list entry. Uhh...

- Chapters read
- Score
- Status
- Start/End Date
- Scanlation Group
- # Times Re-read
- Comments...

Yeah I just copied from MAL. :D :D

I'm not too sure on how to let people arrange their physical collection using MML. Umm... a field for volumes own (physically that is)?

Ahhh longass entry.. okay I'm done rambling now. ^^

Feb 1, 2007 8:41 PM

I'd definitely use it. I read more manga than I watch anime.
I'm not much help when it comes to suggestions for the site though.. ^^;

Feb 3, 2007 8:26 PM

I read a lot less manga than I watch anime but if you built it, I would come. :)

And...uh...yeah. What she said.

Feb 8, 2007 4:08 PM

Actually there is such a site for manga like this, except it's for ALL books and not manga alone, so take that as you will. Librarything.com

But yea, I'd use it. I have a fair share of manga.

xxxHolic 1-8
Azumanga 1-4
Samurai Girl 1-6
Love Hina 1-4, 9
GTO 13
Air Gear 1-3

And some others. I have them all listed in my librarything account. =P

Feb 8, 2007 4:14 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Hmmmmmmm. Now that's a cool site.

*steals ideas*

Feb 8, 2007 4:17 PM

Yeah, it's a decent site, although it's not as thorough as this kind of site as far as a 'currently reading' goes.

It's more of an index of what you own than anything. You can see what other people have and if they have the same as you, etc. But you already know that from going there. =P

Anyway. Using the ISBN system is a good way to go for indexing the manga. Although I couldn't add the manga I bought of Miss Dynamite. Those manga even have ISBN, too. Heh.

Feb 8, 2007 4:27 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Update: MyMangaList is delayed until I add a few more things to MyAnimeList. LibraryThing just gave me about 50 ideas. :D

Feb 8, 2007 4:30 PM

tell us everything!
Truly yours, Arinohyoshi

~ Join the SOL Brigade Today! ~ Save our World by Overloading it with Lolis! ~

Feb 22, 2007 11:03 AM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Crystal said:
For the volume and chapter thing, I would say chapter at first because there are a lot of manga oneshots out there that have no volumes (meaning the story is just one or two chapters). And also people who read new manga that only have a few chapters down can add it to their list. Also for the ongoing manga that have chapters that are not part of any volume.

We also need volume cause stuff like older series we would have great difficultly knowing how many chapters it would have (since everything has already been compiled). The manga database would be a lot harder to do for information since there is so little.

Okay, details for manga entries. I'm sort of brainstorming.

(Same as MAL stuff)
- Synopsis
- Genre
- Relations
- Start/End Date
- Completed/Ongoing/On Hold/Not Published Yet

- Author and artist (and maybe in the future a feature to search by this), note that we would need to be able to put more then one name as some series have a different person to draw and to write (like Death note). Or have more then one person on the series basically.

- Publisher (maybe a choice to put more then just the Japanese publisher, we can also list down who publishes it in different countries, eg. US, France, Singapore, Taiwan)

- Serialization (to say what magazine it is/was in)

- Adaptations. Adaptations, perhaps somehow connect it to MAL, since a lot of anime are adaptations of manga. And also a place to let us fill in that adaptations of the manga were made in the form of a live action drama, video game, novel. And also some manga are adaptations of anime, novels, video games. (In other words it works both ways)

Will Korean comics (manwha) be allowed into the database?

Ideas for the manga list entry. Uhh...

- Chapters read
- Score
- Status
- Start/End Date
- Scanlation Group
- # Times Re-read
- Comments...

Yeah I just copied from MAL. :D :D

I'm not too sure on how to let people arrange their physical collection using MML. Umm... a field for volumes own (physically that is)?

Ahhh longass entry.. okay I'm done rambling now. ^^

I forgot to mention, but thanks so much for writing all that down crystal. Helped me out a ton in creating the manga database.

Any more information from anyone else would be appreciated to.

Feb 22, 2007 3:47 PM

Ooh! Ceray wants a MangaList!

Would MML have a separate forum or would it share this forum?

Feb 22, 2007 3:52 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

It's unfortunate, but everything will be completely separate.

Feb 22, 2007 3:57 PM

Ah, that's fine. ^_^ Thanks.

Feb 22, 2007 4:18 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

I'll do everything within my power to "link" sites together though. Profile links, anime/manga links, whatever I can do, I'll try to make them very friendly "sister-sites".

Feb 22, 2007 4:42 PM

thats cool, too bad it won't be sharing a forum though. would that be something hard to do?

Feb 22, 2007 4:48 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

It can't really share a forum because the user database will be different...and the sites are also on different webservers (and database servers).

Mar 13, 2007 9:41 PM
i would really like a mymangalist, but considering the vast libraries of mangas out there, it will be a really challenging to make it work.

Mar 20, 2007 11:26 PM

Yes, and I need it, otheriwse I'd have no idea where I am in a manga series if i stop reading for a bit.

Mar 21, 2007 5:24 AM

i think you should do it by chapter, because i have a problem where i will stop mid-volume... haha :)
@timingislau // livejournal[/size][/right]

Mar 22, 2007 8:30 PM

Xinil said:
It can't really share a forum because the user database will be different...and the sites are also on different webservers (and database servers).

I don't suppose you can use the database of MAL for the MML site as well...?? Or would that put too much strain on the MAL database?

If it were possible, I'm sure there would be a lot more benifits than just the boards. Having one account for both sites can make things a lot easier. ^^

Mar 22, 2007 9:19 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Unfortunately it isn't really possibly to do one user database for both sites. T_T

Mar 22, 2007 9:28 PM

Mar 22, 2007 9:40 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

It's possible, that isn't the problem. The problem is linking the two databases together. Sure, I could just put everything on one database and it'd work then, but I expect the site to grow to something where one database for BOTH sites just wouldn't be a smart idea (slowwwwww).

Mar 22, 2007 9:58 PM

yeah like I said
boursk said:
Or would that put too much strain on the MAL database?

Perhaps kinda weird formulated......but I understand your problem. ^^

But even though you can't really link the database, you could add a column in the user table in the MAL database that has the id of the user table in the MML(, and vice versa or use a query)
The reason why, is that this way if a user has both an MAL and a MML, the sites can refer to each other and give other benifits. You can keep the data traffic to a minimum, but still add small things to make the two sites a little closer to each other (though the joining board thing still won't work with this).

I'm just throwing ideas here. If you feel I should butt out, give the word. ^^

Mar 22, 2007 10:39 PM
Site Administrator
Overlord

I'll definitely do all I can do make the sites "link" together. No worries in that area. :)

Mar 22, 2007 10:48 PM

That's cool. ^^ Your work is truly appreciated. ^^

Mar 23, 2007 6:38 AM

Mar 23, 2007 6:51 AM

well they might, but there are a lot of factors as why they can and we can't do that. And the list starts with the fact that they probably use an expensive host or a similar expensive self-hosted server, which cannot be compared to the hosts MAL and MML will use.

The fact that ANN is actually professional can be proved when you look at their job openings. They actually require professional journalists and will pay them accordingly. o.O (I just found that out today btw.......)

Know that the costs of MAL and MML will go directly out of Xinil's pocket, and there aren't any banners and stuff cover it in any way, so I can understand the choices made.

Mar 23, 2007 6:57 AM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Aokaado said:
I thought ANN used one for both

Both what? There are two ANN's?

It could definitely work in the beginning to host MML off of the same server as MAL. I'm just worried about what happens down the road. :-/ I think I may need to do some research about what other companies with "multiple linked websites "do.

Mar 23, 2007 7:15 AM

Mar 23, 2007 7:53 AM
Site Administrator
Overlord

Oh, well that's nothing like what we're doing. We're using two distinct websites. They have one DB on ANN.com (not two separate domains). Storing manga information on an ANIME site is lame imo.

Mar 23, 2007 9:32 AM

Unfortunately, the only manga I read are Bleach and Naruto so I dont think I would use it. Only being honest here =/

May 17, 2007 8:16 PM
i would use it :D
I'm really in need of a mymangalist lol >_>

Anyway, good work!
a

May 18, 2007 3:31 AM

I would definitely use it though I recently started to actually read more manga
but I sure gonna use it and build up my list when it will be there ;3

May 18, 2007 3:44 AM
I'd like to use it actually.

Especially because, like MAL, a "most popular" list, tags/categories and information about the number of volumes/chapters would be an ideal way of getting to know about manga that's worthwhile.

Most current manga sites are also very informative, but I find it's hard for a complete manga noob (I just read Berserk, Naruto, Rurouni Kenshin and One Piece) to get into the scene, there's just too much.

Also, I would consider it a huge plus if there's a lot of information about scanlations available. More than just ratings info: which groups are scanlating, whether they're still active, whether they do chapters or volumes, how many they scanlated, stuff like that too. Even more so because as I understand, scanlating manga isn't as common as fansubbing is...

May 19, 2007 11:41 AM

I don't know about everyone else but i believe that reading manga online is LAME.

Its a book keep it that way, that leads to my point. Costs too much to get alot, so i wouldn't have much to do with a MML

May 19, 2007 11:46 AM
Akeval said:
I don't know about everyone else but i believe that reading manga online is LAME.

Its a book keep it that way, that leads to my point. Costs too much to get alot, so i wouldn't have much to do with a MML

If it was readily available, I'd love to actually own a manga like Berserk. It just isn't though, so I'd rather read it on a computer screen than not at all.

May 19, 2007 11:57 AM

Akeval said:

/agrees

May 19, 2007 4:04 PM

Keep it as a book? Then let's do away with the E-Books and journals too shall we? Too bad they are a valuable resource for research, especially for distance education students. Don't see what's wrong with reading anything on a computer.

And besides, like Sanada said, we can't get most manga translated into English elsewhere.

May 19, 2007 5:13 PM

wow, I missed this.. *hits self on head*

Well, you'd need a lot of people to help with the DB and so I definately hand over to you my soul for that. Furthermore, even if only 50% of this site will go for MML, you might reel in quite a few more people who prefer Manga. So I don't think that would be such a problem for finding users. I also think, as a few people have already mentioned, that they would read more manga if it were to be created, which is excellent!

I am not completely sure on how you started up MAL, as I was not here then, but as new anime is being added to the MAL DB every once in a while, you wouldn't have to open MML with a full DB..
Now, I don't know if I am ignorant about all this, but you could always get a large-ish group of devoted Manga fans to make this DB up.. I am sure if you gave us a week, we could come up with decriptions and information for a large amount of manga.. Then, you could (if you got all the technical-ness down) open up MML and the DB mods/admins could do a similar thing to what happens here at MAL.. I don't expect anyone will think that the DB will have everything they want right at first, and if when they fill in their lists, they find things missing well, you know the rest... Sorry if me saying all of this was stupid, but even though it would be a lot of work and time consuming, I don't think it will be really that bad.
Actually, I'd love to help assemble a database, it would help me find some new good manga as I research, and I am sure many people would agree..

As for ideas, I think they've all pretty much been good so far.

May 19, 2007 5:16 PM

Crystal said:
Keep it as a book? Then let's do away with the E-Books and journals too shall we? Too bad they are a valuable resource for research, especially for distance education students. Don't see what's wrong with reading anything on a computer.

And besides, like Sanada said, we can't get most manga translated into English elsewhere.

pwned! go crystal :D

selective_yellow said:
I also think, as a few people have already mentioned, that they would read more manga if it were to be created, which is excellent!

even though i've read about... 3-4 manga in my entire life (not all completed either), it definitely would help me find more manga to read. MAL did the same thing for me for anime.
@timingislau // livejournal[/size][/right]

May 19, 2007 5:20 PM

selective_yellow said:
wow, I missed this.. *hits self on head*

Well, you'd need a lot of people to help with the DB and so I definately hand over to you my soul for that. Furthermore, even if only 50% of this site will go for MML, you might reel in quite a few more people who prefer Manga. So I don't think that would be such a problem for finding users. I also think, as a few people have already mentioned, that they would read more manga if it were to be created, which is excellent!

I am not completely sure on how you started up MAL, as I was not here then, but as new anime is being added to the MAL DB every once in a while, you wouldn't have to open MML with a full DB..
Now, I don't know if I am ignorant about all this, but you could always get a large-ish group of devoted Manga fans to make this DB up.. I am sure if you gave us a week, we could come up with decriptions and information for a large amount of manga.. Then, you could (if you got all the technical-ness down) open up MML and the DB mods/admins could do a similar thing to what happens here at MAL.. I don't expect anyone will think that the DB will have everything they want right at first, and if when they fill in their lists, they find things missing well, you know the rest... Sorry if me saying all of this was stupid, but even though it would be a lot of work and time consuming, I don't think it will be really that bad.
Actually, I'd love to help assemble a database, it would help me find some new good manga as I research, and I am sure many people would agree..

As for ideas, I think they've all pretty much been good so far.

That's pretty much how MAL was. The site didn't originally start with any database. When Xinil introduced it, the few active members we had added to the database. Effectively, the entire database was built up by stoneblade and one other member (who I can't remember, sorry). I think I did two letters also but yeah, not as much. So for MML, all we need is like a couple of individuals who will give up a few days obsessively adding manga to the database. XD

Getting information will be harder though. Manga has less complete manga databases (with descriptions and what not). So it will take longer. And there's a lot more.

May 19, 2007 11:17 PM

Yeah, I thought that was sort of how it worked out.. (vaguely)

So, realising that there is a lot more manga and a lot less information, we just need.. more than a few dedicated individuals!!! =D

I think we should start gathering victims.. or erm.. people to help.

May 24, 2007 3:13 AM

I was thinking of the possibilities of a MyMangaList the other day! I think it'd be awesome.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »