Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2017 5:55 PM

Jun 2013
Am I glad I didn't drop this after the two previous episodes! The return to a more relaxed pacing was welcome, an the impressive visuals are back, too. Great world building episode, and it had some introspection in store for Hachi. Space is unforgiving but it's also wonderful.

I totally called that the girl would be exactly twelve. Probably because the concept of space-grown humans is a very recent memory for me, after having read Leviathan Wakes. And she didn't sound like an adult at all, it was hilarious that Hachi didn't figure it out sooner.

It's a comforting thought that Nana was able to share her playground with someone. Even if that someone can't appreciate it the same way she does.
LeeTailorAug 3, 2017 6:13 PM
Jan 26, 2018 5:11 PM

Aug 2011
I watched this episode two days ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. I rarely rewatch anything yet I've rewatched this episode twice and am constantly rewatching my favorite scenes. I honestly don't know why, nor can I think of any appropriate words to describe why, but this episode was just so beautiful. It was an incredibly touching, warm hearted episode that made you feel for the characters yet at the same time the episode managed to feel soul crushing.

Last episode they mentioned this and it still went over my head but Hachimaki really is an astronaut. You don't seem to think much of it because of how common it is in the anime and because he's basically a garbage man but that profession is still incredibly special. Roland, a legendary astronaut, a pioneer of space exploration, made the moon, space, his home. After a career lasting over 20 years when he saw his death near he decided to end it in space. He abandoned his former home for the new world he called his own. His death while tragic was also telling of humanity as a species. A species of adventurers settling in whatever new land they discover. Even if that land may be as desolate as the moon.

Then take a look at Nono. A character who appeared tragic at first. Stuck on the moon for over a decade because of a mysterious disease rendering her incapable of returning to her home on Earth. If she where to die on the moon, it would not be because of her choice. Then in the end, we find out that's not true. Nono as it turns out is actually one of the first humans born on the moon. The moon is the only world the girl has ever known. The planet her species descended from, the Earth, is but a foreign land to her that at times might appear to be just fiction. Yet she still feels a desire to know the place. To explore the land that's she can only look at from afar. While this desire itself might seem tragic, as the girl has been robbed of a chance to live in humanity's cradle, for her, its simple curiosity. She holds no desire to live on Earth nor does she condemn her parents for her fate but instead simply wishes to visit. To her, the moon is her home. Its where she was born, where she'll live, and where she'll die. Nono is a product of humanity's desire to explore. She is in a sense one of the first from the new generation of permanent settlers.

The music, atmosphere, visuals, dialogue... everything in this episode was absolutely amazing. Nono and Hachimaki had incredible chemistry throughout the episode. Their conversations where a joy to watch. I rarely watch dubs but the dub voice actors have been astounding throughout the whole series and in this episode they really stood out. The final scene in the episode with Nono and Hachimaki going out into the surface of the moon was simply breathtaking. Hachimaki's final speech alongside the visuals and the OST made the whole scene simply incredible to watch. Easily one of the greatest scenes I've ever watched. At first I thought of Hachimaki and Nono's scenes as quite romantic so I'm kinda disappointed about her age... I think they would've made a cute couple. Oh well, Tanabe getting jealous was pretty cute. Her age did fit well with her character though as it explained why she can't go to earth.

There's still so much more I could say but to summarize I'd say this episode is one of the greatest episodes I've ever seen. It was simply perfect. I'd recommend someone to watch this anime just for this episode alone.
Feb 15, 2018 1:55 AM

Sep 2016
goddamn this was an amazing episode
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Sep 27, 2018 6:03 PM

Sep 2017
Wow this was noticeably the best episode yet, happy I'm sticking with it. The show has had some pretty bad writing thus far but I've got no issues with this episode, the scenarios with the Lunarian girl and the OG astronaut were both really well done, and really meaningful (unlike the previous episode)
LordQuazSep 27, 2018 6:07 PM
Nov 10, 2018 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
A man who dedicated his life to space, and wanted to become a part of it on his death; and a human who was born in space, and longed for Earth. But not in a sad way or something, she was happy with her life, she just wanted to get to know the sea, and this was the best part of it; there were some strong emotions here again. Tanabe also felt jealous, her friend is most certainly right when she thinks that Tanabe likes Hachimaki.
Feb 18, 2019 1:38 PM

Feb 2012
Meaningful plotlines this episode, both discuss how the effect space has on humanity, Harry Roland's radiation sickness but Nono's very existence helping research.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 28, 2019 4:08 PM
Oct 2018
this episode was a lot better then the last one
Mar 16, 2020 1:41 PM
Jul 2013
saxophone15 said:
This was the best episode so far for me. Nice character interactions.

Exactly.
I really enjoyed the insert song. I think the sound design in this series is superb, especially radio chatter and how it portrays the deafening silence of the space.
May 2, 2020 4:20 PM
Feb 2016
When I watched this show for the first time 3 years ago I thought that they glossed over really fast that the veteran astronaut committed suicide because he couldn't stand the thought of being discarded by the universe he adored so much and I kinda forgot about the last scene. Upon rewatching it I realized that it perfectly fits in with the first half of the episode with the old man.

Haichi kind of forgot about the beauty of space seeing it as a desert and longing for the bright blue lakes/oceans of the the earth,not realizing that the lunarians view the moon as their own treasure. Which made his negative doubts about the old man wanting to die in that empty cold space dessert a lot more understanding.
Jun 30, 2020 5:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really great and emotional episode, really interesting to see a girl who is born and raised on the moon
Nov 27, 2020 1:09 PM

Nov 2019
this was very nice, A lunarian. never thought of the possibility of one. it's really fun watching this series
Dec 10, 2020 6:11 AM

Jul 2017
That was fantastic, the first real home-run episode this show's delivered and a much needed one after a mixed bag of a start with the previous two episodes being poor in general. Nono's a Lunarian, one of the few people who were conceived on the Moon and she's lived her entire life there so far, so 12 years. She's lived her life completely with a different gravity so due to low gravity disorder, she won't be able to experience her life at Earth but she still loves staring at it and loves where she's come from, and wants to help out researchers to get info about her growth to utilize for the future. Very fascinating stuff overall, seeing a girl look at Earth with the same curiosity that we would normally look for other planets and seeing how different the children who were born and brought up at the Moon have to adjust to their growth and their general lives in comparison to Earth.
Apr 2, 2021 2:07 PM

Mar 2020
Glad to see this show is finally back on track. I can't say I was too fond of the previous two episodes. I'd completely forgotten about the ninja one as soon as I had finished watching it.

I've kinda been taken aback by how many interesting sci-fi concepts this show has had on display. From what I've heard, the manga is way better than the anime, in which case I'm expecting a masterpiece because the anime has been pretty solid so far. I think more than four shitty parents would have the resolve to try and raise a child on the moon, though.
Apr 25, 2021 9:33 PM
Jan 2018
Now this is a Planetes episode, very heartwarming and beautiful
May 30, 2021 1:56 PM
Oct 2016
Finally!! An actually good episode!
Quite happy and I feel that it has some more to offer and maybe a better of doing what it did here.
Overall good thematic exploration, good shifts in tone, good character interaction and much more balanced relation between drama and comedy. Feels a little bit preachy still and somewhat a bit unpolished in its naturalistic approach in the plotlines happening.
Jul 17, 2021 10:40 AM

Sep 2017
A really interesting episode that focuses on things that would actually be problematic irl if/when we get to this point. Lots of good world building. Much better than the previous episode.
Nov 17, 2021 3:00 PM

Nov 2016
The ending really got me. It was damn powerful ;_; It was also pretty thought provoking, something that's gonna keep my mind occupied before I fall asleep.

And to think to that the aftermath of the last episode transitioned into this one made it even better, lol. I was expecting a change of pace, but this was just wow.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2021 12:04 PM

Dec 2007
to tell the truth, though this episode was mindblowing, i still can't shake the feeling of this episodic format.
still i loved it very much since the whole idea of lunaric child is amazing idea, and no wonder she looked little strange.

lol hachimaki got in love with 12 years old xD
Jan 1, 2022 9:18 AM
Nov 2020
Remember lads, space is the place till death due you part
Oct 8, 2022 6:34 PM

Nov 2021
this so fcking good

Aug 5, 2023 12:35 AM

Dec 2021
way better episode than that ninja nonsense 
Mar 25, 12:57 PM

Dec 2022
Finally, an episode that isn't terrible. It's as if all the staff were replaced just to make it. The juxtaposition of perspectives and the existence of the "Lunarian" people added elements of mystique to an anime that was sorely lacking in it.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.