Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Dec 13, 2010 5:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
The release date is on my birthday, 11 November.

MY BIRTHDAY BITCHES. I know what you're all getting me now. Yeah that's right, a one way ticket to NO SOCIAL LIFE FOR THE REST OF 2012.

http://www.elderscrolls.com
Modified by Kimura, Dec 3, 2011 2:31 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
#2
Dec 13, 2010 5:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
Hope it'll be as good as Morrowind.
 
#3
Dec 13, 2010 6:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4038
Yanathrae said:
Hope it'll be as good as Morrowind.

Or at least, not as bad as Oblivion...
 
#4
Dec 13, 2010 6:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 164
STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!

I am going to hear that a lot when this game comes out. I wonder if the world's going to be bigger and more varied this time around or if "villages" would contain more than 3 houses. Hopefully, NPCs won't look at you dead square in the eyes too when you talk to them this time around.
 
#5
Dec 13, 2010 6:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
seishi-sama said:
Yanathrae said:
Hope it'll be as good as Morrowind.

Or at least, not as bad as Oblivion...


Dunno, everyone is constantly bitching about Oblivion but imo it wasn't THAT bad. It just didn't live up to its expectations and Morrowind is superior by far. Oblivion in itself was an okay game, it's just when you compare it to Morrowind that it seems really really bad.
 
#6
Dec 13, 2010 6:55 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 600
I liked Oblivion, but then again it was the first time I played a game like that.

Was mainly about fun of exploration and adventure for me, hoping there's less copy paste caves and ruins this time though so it would actually last a while now.

 
#7
Dec 13, 2010 6:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
ShiroiNoKiwi said:
I liked Oblivion, but then again it was the first time I played a game like that.

Was mainly about fun of exploration and adventure for me, hoping there's less copy paste caves and ruins this time though so it would actually last a while now.


If you like the exploration and adventure of Oblivion, be sure to try Morrowind some time. The graphics are a tad outdated, but you can mod the shit out of it should that bother you. It's a great game and really cheap too.
 
#8
Dec 13, 2010 7:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4376
i played Oblivion (amazing).. then tryied Morrowind ( and looked crappy, prolly cause it was old, and dropped it)
should've started with Morrowind if all you say its that good =\ oh well..

hope this game will be awesome
 
#9
Dec 13, 2010 7:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1546
Oblivion has a more tweaked gameplay and much better graphics/engine, but Morrowinds strength as the art style, music, the richer lore etc which made for a better presentation. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Oblivion was great though, and I don't get the hate. Perhaps its too famous for its own good, or maybe its outdated now. To be honest, I like it more than all those JRPGs people think are the best games of all time or whatever(not taking names :P )
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 13, 2010 8:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4409
I was excited until I heard Bethseda is developing a new engine for it internally. Expect 20,000 patches and the game will still run like shit.

and dear sweet Jesus I hope they get some competent modelers, the character models in Oblivion made me wanna ripe out my eyes.

I hope the story is alot better too, the one in Oblivion made JRPG writing seem intelligible.

Also they need to fix the leveling and scaling thing, Only game I ever played where it was more beneficial not to level up.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
 
Dec 13, 2010 9:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
I honestly wouldn't mind another Oblivion with new quests. I just hope for the best!
 
Dec 13, 2010 9:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
There's gonna be dragons and axes and shit. Gonna be good times. I hope.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1278
Jigero said:
I was excited until I heard Bethseda is developing a new engine for it internally. Expect 20,000 patches and the game will still run like shit.

and dear sweet Jesus I hope they get some competent modelers, the character models in Oblivion made me wanna ripe out my eyes.

I hope the story is alot better too, the one in Oblivion made JRPG writing seem intelligible.

Also they need to fix the leveling and scaling thing, Only game I ever played where it was more beneficial not to level up.


They have id IP to help them with their new engine, so we can always hope for the best...
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 70
Oh man I can't fucking wait. I wonder how big the map will be? Will Skyrim be a snowy wasteland and look mostly like the Northern part of Cyrodiil, or will there be more variation in the landscape? I also agree with Jigero and hope they fixed the models and the leveling system. Anyway, I know I'll be getting it near release.
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
The only things I care about:

Sneak/stealth implementation. I'm a sneaky guy, I appreciate effort put into sneaking in games, such as the effects of sound, shadow, bulk, etc.

Good character modelling. I just played Uncharted 1 recently and now every other game looks bland to me. :|

Variety. After over 100 hours of Fallout 3 I'm getting a tad bored, same thing happened with Oblivion to a lesser extent (thank God for guilds!), so I hope they figure out a way to make their games still entertaining past the 100 hour mark.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7800
Dang, you beat me to posting this. I was a bit tempted to do so yesterday, but didn't think the thread would do well. Judging from the number of posts on here I was wrong.

But yeah, so looking forward to it!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1278
Sarraq said:
Will Skyrim be a snowy wasteland and look mostly like the Northern part of Cyrodiil, or will there be more variation in the landscape?


Skyrim IS a snowy wasteland; plus more mountains. It IS the province bordering the northern part of Cyrodiil. Architecture, in Skyrim is the inspiration for Bruma, just also happens that the climate is similar too.
Modified by entropy13, Dec 13, 2010 10:49 AM
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
Retro8bit said:
Dang, you beat me to posting this. I was a bit tempted to do so yesterday, but didn't think the thread would do well. Judging from the number of posts on here I was wrong.

But yeah, so looking forward to it!


Yeah but everyone's hating on Oblivion so now I feel like a rare animal. :|

Did anyone else enjoy themselves playing that game or was it only me?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Dec 13, 2010 11:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 600
Yanathrae said:
ShiroiNoKiwi said:
I liked Oblivion, but then again it was the first time I played a game like that.

Was mainly about fun of exploration and adventure for me, hoping there's less copy paste caves and ruins this time though so it would actually last a while now.


If you like the exploration and adventure of Oblivion, be sure to try Morrowind some time. The graphics are a tad outdated, but you can mod the shit out of it should that bother you. It's a great game and really cheap too.

One of the things I very much liked in Oblivion was just enjoying the views, so suppose graphics are relatively important to me in this type of a game.
Will see if I ever have time for it.

 
Dec 13, 2010 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1546
Jigero said:
I was excited until I heard Bethseda is developing a new engine for it internally. Expect 20,000 patches and the game will still run like shit.
.


I dont remember needing patches to run morrowind, oblivion or Fallout 3. Oblivion and F3 were somewhat buggy but completely playable.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 13, 2010 11:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 421
koreye said:
I dont remember needing patches to run morrowind, oblivion or Fallout 3. Oblivion and F3 were somewhat buggy but completely playable.


Morrowind didn't need them, F3 I played only with those that were already released when I bought it (GOTY) and it rarely crashed, but Oblivion... that damn thing tended to crash every hour or so >_> and had quick save that tended to corrupt save files...


@Topic: I only hope they'll decide to make TES V UI more similar to the one in Morrowind and add more "useless" lore stuff to the game. I plan to play it anyway, no matter how bad it might turn out to be, even if only for the soundtrack... the track they used in trailer was great. ~.~
Modified by bakaratamata, Dec 13, 2010 11:49 AM

 
Dec 13, 2010 11:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 13588
Omnomnom, I'm going to look forward to this.
I never really bothered completing either Morrowind or Oblivion though, but maybe I'll make a better effort this time, if I've got enough time and all.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja
 
Dec 13, 2010 12:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4376
Beatnik said:
The only things I care about:

Sneak/stealth implementation. I'm a sneaky guy, I appreciate effort put into sneaking in games, such as the effects of sound, shadow, bulk, etc.


ever played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Double Agent ?

now thats a stealthy game
 
Dec 13, 2010 1:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
smokes said:
ever played Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Double Agent ?

now thats a stealthy game


Chaos Theory is a great game with the Best Soundtrack To A Game Ever. (don't bother arguing with me on this, seriously just shut up)

However I just tried to play Double Agent on the PS3 and it was all kinds of awful. I feel almost sick thinking about it. :|

Anyway, yeah I like to be sneaky. I mean I like running and gunning as much as the next COD freak, but most of the time I like to fire arrows into people from the shadows before taking out my trusty sword.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Dec 13, 2010 1:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 421
Beatnik said:
I like to fire arrows into people from the shadows before taking out my trusty sword.


Am I seeing an allusion to Thief here?

 
Dec 13, 2010 1:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4376
Beatnik said:

However I just tried to play Double Agent on the PS3 and it was all kinds of awful. I feel almost sick thinking about it. :|


Double Agent is so underrated x(

seriously that game is awesome.. Work for the bad guys and in 20 minutes or so you should also work for the GOOD guys as well.. just like a double agent.
to sneak in the base of the bad guys while working for them was the most exciting stuff.. then stealing the fingerprints and register voices to access their rooms... awesome :D


@Ziechiel - Thief 4 is under production ^_^
 
Dec 13, 2010 1:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
smokes said:
Double Agent is so underrated x(

seriously that game is awesome.. Work for the bad guys and in 20 minutes or so you should also work for the GOOD guys as well.. just like a double agent.
to sneak in the base of the bad guys while working for them was the most exciting stuff.. then stealing the fingerprints and register voices to access their rooms... awesome :D


I liked the ideas in the game, but the story looked like it was written by a 12 year old, the cutscenes are so abrupt and random, and on the PS3 at least the framerate was unbelievably crap.

I hope Conviction comes to PS3 one day...

Anyway, in Oblivion I didn't have these problems. I just sneaked into the police HQ, blew people up with magic shit, jumped out a window, you know it was fun fun fun!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Dec 13, 2010 1:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
Oblivion was good but Im hoping it will be more like Morrowind.. Morrowind had a greater variety of weapon and armour types and it gave off a much darker more sinister feel, which made the game, for me at any rate :D
 
Dec 13, 2010 1:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 3455
it better be good.
 
Dec 13, 2010 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 280
I don’t really think people are hating on Oblivion here. But if you got introduced to the Elder Scorlls series by Morrowind or even Daggerfall you were most likely disappointed in Oblivion because they dumped a lot of things. Being user friendly is all nice and good but taking out all the challenge and effort wasn’t a good idea.

But I am quite optimistic regarding Skyrim because I heard Beth actually listened to the critics and improved a lot of things in Fallout. For me it’s just really important that Skyrim should have a alien atmosphere and an open world feeling that actually give you the possibility to role play your character.
 
Dec 13, 2010 5:59 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 48
Ziechiel said:
Beatnik said:
I like to fire arrows into people from the shadows before taking out my trusty sword.


Am I seeing an allusion to Thief here?


Garrett wasn't worth a damn in a sword fight.
I enjoyed morrowind and oblivion. Never finished morrowind but I just read about the graphic update mods some gonna retry it soon. My favorite part in morrowind though i cheated was jumping and flying across the game.
 
Dec 13, 2010 6:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2954
Im gonna need to buy a new computer just to play it... but lol ive needed a new comp for a while now... looks like i finaly have a reason to bother getting one



"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
 
Dec 13, 2010 6:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 421
mastersadon said:
Ziechiel said:
Beatnik said:
I like to fire arrows into people from the shadows before taking out my trusty sword.

Am I seeing an allusion to Thief here?

Garrett wasn't worth a damn in a sword fight.

You think I'm not aware of that? O_o That's the reason why it was always better to remove guards with your bow or to stun them (btw., at least in Thief II, you could even use blackjack in melee fight and finish it quietly without losing a single hp).

mastersadon said:
My favorite part in morrowind though i cheated was jumping and flying across the game.

Scroll of Icarus Flight, modded enchanted items or console?

 
Dec 13, 2010 6:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2954
Ziechiel said:
mastersadon said:
My favorite part in morrowind though i cheated was jumping and flying across the game.

Scroll of Icarus Flight, modded enchanted items or console?


you forgot the best way Jump 100 points + slow fall 100 points



"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
 
Dec 13, 2010 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4409
koreye said:
Jigero said:
I was excited until I heard Bethseda is developing a new engine for it internally. Expect 20,000 patches and the game will still run like shit.
.


I dont remember needing patches to run morrowind, oblivion or Fallout 3. Oblivion and F3 were somewhat buggy but completely playable.


then you didn't play them enough or are extremely lucky, there are parts of Oblivion that will fuck up your game entirely if you do some thing incorrectly , some quests can't even be finished with out going to the Dev Console and pushing the quest forward. You can get perma stuck in buildings unless you accesses and move your self with the Dev Console, Characters can get stuck in places or die making a quest impossible to do. Personally my self I've had at least 50 corrupt save files due to crashing while it saved. Lucky enough i got in the habit of saving like after every 10 feet because I never knew when it would just up in crash. The funniest part is my crashing problem lessened after I downloaded the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, which was a fan made patch that solved 99% of the problems in the game, that Bethesda didn't fix. Thank god for Mods because I as able to make the game look 100 times better on-top of making it run more efficiently.

For most people right out of the box Oblivion was almost unplayable. Oblivion alone had like 10 patches. that really didn't fix anything and just created more problems then they fixed.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
 
Dec 13, 2010 9:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 48
Ziechiel said:

You think I'm not aware of that? O_o That's the reason why it was always better to remove guards with your bow or to stun them (btw., at least in Thief II, you could even use blackjack in melee fight and finish it quietly without losing a single hp).

Its good the game was designed like that or else id go in slashing beating the level in 5 mins instead of sneaking for an hour.

Ziechiel said:

Scroll of Icarus Flight, modded enchanted items or console?


Console modified stats.
 
Dec 13, 2010 10:18 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 479
I am so frickin' excited for this game!!! It looks fantastic! :D :D :D :D
 
Dec 14, 2010 1:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4409
mljato said:
I don’t really think people are hating on Oblivion here. But if you got introduced to the Elder Scorlls series by Morrowind or even Daggerfall you were most likely disappointed in Oblivion because they dumped a lot of things. Being user friendly is all nice and good but taking out all the challenge and effort wasn’t a good idea.

But I am quite optimistic regarding Skyrim because I heard Beth actually listened to the critics and improved a lot of things in Fallout. For me it’s just really important that Skyrim should have a alien atmosphere and an open world feeling that actually give you the possibility to role play your character.


Nope, those improvements came from Obsidian who did the development for Fallout: New Vegas. Bethesda just published it. Obsidian is not working on Skyrim. Fallout 3 basically had all the same problems Oblivion had. BethSoft is Developing this their track record is shaky at best.

I really don't trust Bethsoft with this, Bethsoft is the same devs who openly admitted, that they can't get ladders to work on their engine.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
 
Dec 14, 2010 3:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1546
OT: Thief I-II = Best stealth games ever made, and way ahead of their times.


Beatnik said:


Chaos Theory is a great game with the Best Soundtrack To A Game Ever.
.


Cmon, you obviously havent played...



(don't bother arguing with me on this, seriously just shut up)


oh ok! :P

jigero said:
then you didn't play them enough or are extremely lucky


eh probably lucky :P
honestly though, Fallout 3 and Oblivion arent as messed up as the last two GTAs on PC or Assasins Creed...AC especially was a pain in the ass. completely unplayable and broken. Dunno why all these devs seem to hate us PC gamers so much :'(

Morrowind was virtually bug free, as far as I remember. And I dont remember people complaining about it either, so there's still hope they might make a more stable game this time now that they're using a completely new engine.

BTW, Obsidian's Fallout 3 sequel was also very buggy. In fact I've heard a lot of people (and many reviews) saying that its more buggy than Oblivion and Fallout 3
Modified by eyerok, Dec 14, 2010 4:02 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Dec 14, 2010 3:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 98
I wonder if Jeremy Soule will provide the soundtrack again. I found both those of Morrowind and Oblivion absolutely great, so I hope so.
 
Dec 16, 2010 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
I bet it will be delayed to 2012.

Why ? a little game called Modern Warfare 3 will probably release in the same week.
 
Dec 17, 2010 2:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1278
Yanathrae said:
I wonder if Jeremy Soule will provide the soundtrack again. I found both those of Morrowind and Oblivion absolutely great, so I hope so.


Yes.
 
Dec 17, 2010 6:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 280
Jigero said:
mljato said:
I don’t really think people are hating on Oblivion here. But if you got introduced to the Elder Scorlls series by Morrowind or even Daggerfall you were most likely disappointed in Oblivion because they dumped a lot of things. Being user friendly is all nice and good but taking out all the challenge and effort wasn’t a good idea.

But I am quite optimistic regarding Skyrim because I heard Beth actually listened to the critics and improved a lot of things in Fallout. For me it’s just really important that Skyrim should have a alien atmosphere and an open world feeling that actually give you the possibility to role play your character.


Nope, those improvements came from Obsidian who did the development for Fallout: New Vegas. Bethesda just published it. Obsidian is not working on Skyrim. Fallout 3 basically had all the same problems Oblivion had. BethSoft is Developing this their track record is shaky at best.

I really don't trust Bethsoft with this, Bethsoft is the same devs who openly admitted, that they can't get ladders to work on their engine.



Ehm no, I wasn’t talking about improvements from Fallout to New Vegas but from Oblivion to Fallout and the other Elder Scrolls games.
Daggerfall was mainly criticized for its random content that created a gigantic but very bland world. Then Morrowind came, a lot smaller in scale but so much richer in detail. But people had problems with the dice-roll combat system, low difficulty in higher level, general slow pacing and stupid AI. All that got addressed in Oblivion. They just overdid it with level scaling, AI and a lot of stuff which was then corrected in Fallout 3. The biggest complaint now is the lack in roleplay possibilities and content, so yes, I am pretty sure Skyrim will find a better balance than Oblivion.

And what about their track record? Their Elder Scorells series were all awesome, Arena was kind of bland but it was the first game. Daggerfall was groundbreaking, Morrowind was utterly fantastic and Oblivion was commercially successful beyond belief. I really don’t see how non-climbable ladders will affect this very much.
My only concern is that they are trying to pander the masses too much while putting back innovations.
 
Jan 8, 2011 10:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1278


FCUKYEAH!
 
Jan 8, 2011 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2891
entropy13 said:


FCUKYEAH!

less skills ia am curius what goes away now...
but dual wield is a good thing!
do you have details if they are adding more spells?

and if the game have bugs we always the modding community to fix it...
 
Jan 8, 2011 11:12 PM
 
Jan 9, 2011 12:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1546
that sounds crazy. The only thing they left out was doing the potty lol..I hope they add that feature in the next game.
Modified by eyerok, Jan 9, 2011 11:14 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
 
Jan 9, 2011 6:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2891
with the modding comunnity it might be a matter of time to go to the potty. XD
 
Jan 9, 2011 6:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 874
Looks like it will be awesome.
 
Jan 14, 2011 5:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1278
 
Top
Pages (17) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »