Forum Settings
Forums

Lack of Manga Post One Piece Drives Shueisha to Rough Measures

New
Dec 19, 2011 2:59 AM

Feb 2008
According to the online magazine Cyzo, many of the staff of Shueisha have been anxious about the lack of hit titles that can support the company when One Piece ends in the future. The popularities of Naruto and Bleach have already reached the ceiling and the growths of the middle standing titles are sluggish.

Although executive director Torishima Kazuhiko stated in 2010 that there was an excessive number of manga magazines on the market, Shueisha has recently launched many new magazines: Girl's Jump, BLink, Aoharu, Miracle Jump, Grand Jump, Super Jump High, and Jump X. Torishima said Jump's origin is new serialization by rookie authors, yet they have invited Ninomiya Tomoko and Konari Misato from rival publishers to Jump X. One of the editors of Feel Young magazine complained that Shueisha has been trying to hire some popular mangaka away from their magazine. In order to survive the recession of publishing, Shueisha is beginning to take wild measures regardless of their principles.

Source: Cyzo
NaruleachDec 19, 2011 8:05 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 19, 2011 3:12 AM

Feb 2010
Really? Naruto and Bleach can't cover One Piece? They should just cut off some of their less popular magazines. This is why you shouldn't build a business around 2 or 3 things that are popular at the time.
FatherAndersonDec 19, 2011 3:15 AM
Dec 19, 2011 3:14 AM

Dec 2010
Good ol' cyzo
Dec 19, 2011 3:31 AM

Jun 2008
I don't doubt coz One Piece rocks the manga sales entirely.. naruto and bleach can't even reach the 1/4th of it.

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
Dec 19, 2011 3:45 AM

Oct 2011
I'm certain that we all think it's a little too early to start worrying about what's the next big series AFTER One Piece ends......which should be about 10 years from now.God knows what could happen between now & then.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Dec 19, 2011 3:56 AM

Feb 2010
Jeddy017 said:
I'm certain that we all think it's a little too early to start worrying about what's the next big series AFTER One Piece ends......which should be about 10 years from now.God knows what could happen between now & then.

you can't blame them running a huge business like Shueisha and depent one one person wealth being is just to risky they done that in the past with dragon ball and it cost them heavily.
Dec 19, 2011 4:05 AM

Oct 2009
Naruto and Bleach can't even scratch One Piece huh? No surprise there, but still there is a lot of time before OP ends, anything could happen but i doubt anything would be able reach OP's sales, well good luck to them \(OwO)/
Dec 19, 2011 4:11 AM

Nov 2010
I can draw a manga for them no problem. It will be about annihilating all the characters from series mentioned above. Look at the possible controversial success of that!
Dec 19, 2011 4:19 AM

Oct 2008
ShortTermCrook said:
I can draw a manga for them no problem. It will be about annihilating all the characters from series mentioned above. Look at the possible controversial success of that!

LOL now there's an idea they can work with
Dec 19, 2011 4:42 AM

Sep 2009
One Piece....is ending?

They've got time.
Dec 19, 2011 4:50 AM

Dec 2008
Unless something terrible happens to Oda (god forbid), OP still has lots of time before it naturally ends so I don't see why they're panicking just yet.

I don't keep up with sales and popularity of manga, but what about Toriko? I thought that was just as popular as OP in Japan.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Dec 19, 2011 5:25 AM

Aug 2008
Hands off Feel Young, bitches.
Dec 19, 2011 5:26 AM

Feb 2010
Wait, Torishima is a real guy? I though he's just one of fictional characters of Bakuman -.-

EDIT: I believe this is related
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/12/02/top-50-manga-bestsellers-of-2011/
CashdaxDec 19, 2011 11:02 AM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Dec 19, 2011 5:36 AM

Nov 2008
well that should be obvious cause one piece owns this world
Dec 19, 2011 5:37 AM

Jul 2009
One piece is close to ending because they already in the new half of the grand line and it's the last place they can continue,and then it's probably end in the next 5 years(maybe ,maybe not who knows but thats what I think).
And there's rumor that Naruto will end after the war arc. so there bleach ...
Dec 19, 2011 5:57 AM
Feb 2011
Bleach ended already after that fight with Aizen, its just total randomness now.
Dec 19, 2011 7:09 AM
Feb 2011
They really shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket like that. They should try promoting their other series better.
Dec 19, 2011 7:10 AM

Nov 2008
One Piece....Ending....

Maybe in 20 years.

Dec 19, 2011 7:39 AM

Jul 2010
I often wonder what the shounen genre as a whole will do once OP ends...
Dec 19, 2011 7:53 AM
Nov 2008
One Piece ending? Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... nah, that's not going to happen soon.
Dec 19, 2011 7:59 AM

Aug 2011
Bleach will probably end next year and Naruto will probably end in like 4 years but One Piece probably wont end until 1000 chapters. once it does end Jump wont really have anything to fall back on. Bakuman is probably is the best backup but i dont see it as a long term series
"Throw away your logic and kick reason to the curb! Beautifully following the golden road! If there’s a wall, we knock it down! It’s a road built with these hands! The Magma of the Heart’s Final Ignition! Perfect Unification Gurren-Lagann!"
Dec 19, 2011 8:20 AM
Sep 2010
Cashdaxxx said:
Wait, Torishima is a real guy? I though he's just one of fictional characters of Bakuman -.-

Torishima was Toriyama Akira's editor as you might well know if u had read Dr. Slump - he also appeared in this manfa from time to time

and for the topic - I think OP will last a bit so Shueisha got some time to produce a new megahit - maybe they ask Oda to draw something new after OP ended
Dec 19, 2011 8:52 AM

Aug 2008
Nooo, I don't want One Piece to end! It will be in at least 10 years though XD
ohmyzomfg said:
Cashdaxxx said:
maybe they ask Oda to draw something new after OP ended

And no, Oda-sensei said he doesn't want to make a long run manga after OP, he plans to makes more One Shot manga.
Dec 19, 2011 8:54 AM

Nov 2010
You mean, manga called One Shot with 10 years of run time. Hard to think else when it comes to Oda.
Dec 19, 2011 9:01 AM

Aug 2007
I really doubt One Piece will be ending anytime soon but I wouldn't be surprised to see Naruto and Bleach both end within a year or two.
Dec 19, 2011 9:22 AM

May 2009
There is a chance... that they will make a pause. I am most certainly hope that they wont.

2 arcs and one filler arc, that is what we will get. After that, it will be like Bleach, fillers that have more episodes than most of story arcs. -.-

After all, we are only 1 story arc away from manga, not too far away to take that option into consideration. :/
Dec 19, 2011 10:06 AM

Aug 2008
ShortTermCrook said:
You mean, manga called One Shot with 10 years of run time. Hard to think else when it comes to Oda.

oups, I mean one shot stories...
I went to copy this on wikia:

"Oda stated in an interview that he wanted to create a robot manga after he finished One Piece. Later, however, he stated that after he finishes One Piece, he would take the same path Toriyama did and create short-story manga."
Dec 19, 2011 10:08 AM

Feb 2008
Hoppy said:
One Piece....Ending....

Maybe in 20 years.

when you are talking about business 1 year is a long time. the author could die or get sick, these are risks that people should consider and have a backup plan. they obviously have all their eggs in one basket, and that basket is hanging on a cliff by a thread....
Dec 19, 2011 10:26 AM
Oct 2009
kisami said:
Hoppy said:
One Piece....Ending....

Maybe in 20 years.

when you are talking about business 1 year is a long time. the author could die or get sick, these are risks that people should consider and have a backup plan. they obviously have all their eggs in one basket, and that basket is hanging on a cliff by a thread....

Exactly.

Hunter x Hunter is insanely popular as well, or so I have read, but the mangaka's irregularity might be worrying. Maybe it's better to bet on new authors, but you know, Odas don't show up everyday.
Dec 19, 2011 10:52 AM

Jun 2008
If they're already thinking about it's end, then that should at least mean Oda is thinking of an ending right now :O

Meeatcookies said:
Bleach ended already after that fight with Aizen, its just total randomness now.

It was already pretty random before that...
Dec 19, 2011 11:13 AM

Jul 2009
afkjsadfhlksdfh

Why are they even talking about this? ONE PIECE IS NOT ENDING. Not till I'm dead.

I hate you all.
Dec 19, 2011 12:33 PM
Oct 2010
Face_Faith said:
If they're already thinking about it's end, then that should at least mean Oda is thinking of an ending right now :O

Meeatcookies said:

It was already pretty random before that...

oda has already planned the ending at the beginning of the series
what route the series takes it will end the way he planned from the beggining
Dec 19, 2011 12:44 PM

Apr 2010
Mr_Gutts said:
well that should be obvious cause one piece owns this world

You my friend, are correct. lol

Kurini said:
oups, I mean one shot stories...
I went to copy this on wikia:

"Oda stated in an interview that he wanted to create a robot manga after he finished One Piece. Later, however, he stated that after he finishes One Piece, he would take the same path Toriyama did and create short-story manga."
Yes, that's what Oda-sensei said.

Well, he and Toriyama-sensei will not have any problems either by not doing anything anymore though. They already have more than enough money to live on.
ValkyDec 19, 2011 12:49 PM
Dec 19, 2011 1:21 PM

May 2010
Hoppy said:
One Piece....Ending....

Maybe in 20 years.

And Naruto ending...?

Never. Just like Pokemon
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 19, 2011 1:49 PM
Jul 2009
bleach ended a long time.

OP will not end for a long time cause they aren't at the next half of the Grand Line and it says that that half breaks the law of nature so LOTS OF OPTIONS LEFT.

for Naruto it can end after the war arc. but sasuke can survive the war and create a independent country or a new Akatsuki.
I will wait and see what Kishimoto will do with Naruto.

but GO ONE PIECE YEAH!!!
Dec 19, 2011 2:33 PM

Jul 2009
One Piece won't end any time soon - so they mustn't worry, simply cross that bridge when it comes.
One shounen jump anime/manga that's better then each of the 'top 3', IMO is Hunter x Hunter - and it is popular.

Dec 19, 2011 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
Meeatcookies said:

so true.

one piece has 10 years in it
Dec 19, 2011 4:31 PM

Jan 2011
If they do not think about one piece ending, when it comes the time the other magazines will surpass Jump's sales.

It happened once when Dragon Ball ended, and the best authors went to another magazines(like Takehiko Inoue)

And when this happen some of these shueisha's magazines will have to stop.
A lot of damage.

Also, they tried to serialize a lot of battle shonens without success.
A lot of cancellations.
Dec 19, 2011 5:53 PM
Apr 2009
I'm not a fan of One Piece (tried to like it--success doesn't mean crap to my enjoyment)--though I respect it. If it ends, Gintama should take its place since it still has a long way to go. ^^
Dec 19, 2011 6:10 PM
Jan 2010
This is what happens if you rely too much on one hit.
Dec 19, 2011 6:27 PM
Dec 2009
Shueisha has 13 years (One Piece was at the half-way mark at 13 years) to make a One Piece or Dragon Ball caliber hit before their biggest series of all time ends. And Oda has said he doesn't want to make another manga after he's done with One Piece. Think about it. Every single series that gets on to Weekly Jump or Akamaru Jump or whatever, is going to be in the very disheartening position of being compared to One Piece because it's most of what's keeping their money boat afloat.

I'm not liking their chances.
Dec 19, 2011 8:31 PM
Apr 2009
Orix said:
This is what happens if you rely too much on one hit.

In general, success IS dangerous if anyone lets it got to their heads.
Dec 19, 2011 8:45 PM

May 2011
While we may believe that it's too early to be worrying about this, it's fine to at least be aware of what situation they're gonna be in. OP probably could end in some years. Oda-sensei did say he had he ending in mind when he began, and he originally only planned it to be 5 years (then again, he said that at the 10-year mark xD). Shueisha shouldn't rely on a single series so much, even if it is that successful. At least they're thinking ahead now. But I wonder if they'll really do much better by taking measures that go against their original principles. I mean, it is a business after all, and I'm always up for something new, but I just hope it won't do more harm than good.

But on the other hand, if I were a manga-ka, I'd be excited by this; it's a chance to create a piece that'll become the new pillar of Shueisha. Sure, your piece'll be compared to OP constantly, but so is any new piece there, really. ^^V
Dec 19, 2011 8:55 PM

Jul 2011
Moimy said:
One Piece....is ending?

They've got time.

Yeah, but I think to only about 1000 chapters. I remember reading somewhere that Oda said he doesn't want OP past that.

Hm... I wonder if we'll suddenly get an awesome new manga that becomes the new OP? (After OP.)
MirorinDec 19, 2011 8:59 PM
Dec 19, 2011 9:17 PM
Jun 2009
Meeatcookies said:

Can't help but agree. I'm being trolled.
Dec 19, 2011 9:43 PM
Apr 2009
Forest-kun said:
While we may believe that it's too early to be worrying about this, it's fine to at least be aware of what situation they're gonna be in. OP probably could end in some years. Oda-sensei did say he had he ending in mind when he began, and he originally only planned it to be 5 years (then again, he said that at the 10-year mark xD). Shueisha shouldn't rely on a single series so much, even if it is that successful. At least they're thinking ahead now. But I wonder if they'll really do much better by taking measures that go against their original principles. I mean, it is a business after all, and I'm always up for something new, but I just hope it won't do more harm than good.

But on the other hand, if I were a manga-ka, I'd be excited by this; it's a chance to create a piece that'll become the new pillar of Shueisha. Sure, your piece'll be compared to OP constantly, but so is any new piece there, really. ^^V

You just reminded me of my Cornerstone course at UCF, you know that? Questioning assumptions, new ideas, innovation--things that should be involved in business. XD
Dec 20, 2011 5:47 AM
Nov 2010
Well, it goes on, it's good to look at the future even now, though...
Dec 21, 2011 4:42 AM

Apr 2009
At the moment I cannot even imagine a shounen manga that may surpass OP. They're right to worry about their future.
Dec 21, 2011 3:20 PM

May 2009
EmperorH3ctor said:
If it ends, Gintama should take its place since it still has a long way to go. ^^

Maybe? :O
Oh well~
Dec 21, 2011 4:24 PM

May 2010
Some kind of problem. It's not like people will stop buying manga after OP ends...When will OP end anyway?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.