Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2008 9:23 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like the Haibanes from Abandoned Factory. XD I hope we get to see them again.

Wow, what an ending. The paint can lid rolling across the floor as Reki left was breathtaking. I seriously can't wait to see what happens~
Aug 21, 2008 12:08 PM

Aug 2008
That runes inside of a wall is interesting for me. Maybe that runes be connected with those who dies?!
Apr 22, 2009 5:30 PM

Aug 2008
I am back from my short 4 day break. I was saving this because I still have a lot of new shows to watch.

We finally get to visit the abandoned factory. I don't find the people there different as compared to others. It's just that they are just a little bit too rowdy.

Anyway, this episode gave out a lot of clues about those ancient relics. Those weird symbols there are actually hand signals being used by their race. However, there are still a lot of pieces left to form the puzzle. Maybe the next episode will tell me more about them.

Nov 15, 2009 4:30 PM

May 2009
Im wondering if Rakka will save Reki? And is she really in need to be saved, or is she the only one who knows the truth about life ?

I loved the way how the question of eternal life was raised in this episode. Rakka, who encountered some ghost-like beeings somehow can be a messenger of eternity to Reki.
Yet it's still a mystery what kind of beeings made those cheeful laughs.
And even a bigger mystery is, will the question get a satisfying answer? I belive in Abe's wisdom.

I absolutely love the music and sound in this anime. The harp-like melody and chant inside the wall was beautiful. I don't have to mention the opening and ending themes. Absolutely brilliant.
The sound of falling and rolling paintcan lid- like a cut that Reki makes to leave something behind. Perfect. Thrilling.

Too bad only 2 eps. left to the end...
Jun 24, 2010 12:08 PM
May 2008
I enjoy the symbolism and plot in this series, but some of the characters are almost unbearable... just a few, but those few are terribly cliche in character and their actions.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 25, 2010 4:08 PM

Dec 2009
Wish this series was 26 episodes. No matter what I know stuff is getting left out I would have liked to watch.
Such junk...
Sep 28, 2010 5:51 AM

Jan 2010
NeloDeath said:
I enjoy the symbolism and plot in this series, but some of the characters are almost unbearable... just a few, but those few are terribly cliche in character and their actions.

i agree...the characters are absolutely unrealistic

but the action is good...this episode felt like a filler to me but whatever

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 2, 2010 3:07 PM

Dec 2009
When Kuu's halo twinkled I got a huge chill down my spine and my eyes became teary. Same thing happened to me now.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 20, 2010 6:28 PM

Jul 2008
clannad4ever said:
NeloDeath said:

4/5

Which characters are unrealistic?
Dec 14, 2010 5:41 AM

Jun 2010
I feel so sad for the Communicator, losing his halo and wings, living all alone.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2011 3:54 PM

Jun 2009
Those symbols are hand signs, right? Therefore that would make them the language the Togas use, which leads me to think those plaques were written by them as a representation of the one’s who flew by the walls.

And, what was that thing that made the children laugh? A monster? Or maybe, it was a “spirit” symbolizing the regrets of people, or some kind of malevolent feelings that they may have, and the coat helps you to not see “them” and neither “they” to see you. Still, it makes me wonder what the children’s laugh mean.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 21, 2011 3:57 AM

Oct 2008
This anime is ending soon.. wonder how they will wrap it up.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 6, 2011 6:13 PM

Jan 2009
"We walk with empty smiles plastered on our faces."

"Because now is only now. And this moment...is so precious."

What an amazing episode, sent chills down my spine, just brilliant.
May 11, 2011 1:08 AM

Oct 2009
Can't wait to see what happens next, things are seriously getting good.
May 27, 2011 12:28 PM

Dec 2010
It's wonderful to return to this series after a much longer break than I planned...but the various 'new job' episodes are now finally fully out of my system, and looking forward to seeing a pretty carthartic conclusion is on the cards.
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Feb 21, 2012 1:16 PM

Apr 2009
Reki's situation is looking pretty bad. I guess the ancient scribbles will play some role when Rakka tries to save her.

The scene inside the wall went way over my head. Was that supposed to be the sorce of the sound that made Rakka touch the wall, thinking it was Kuu's voice? Does it have any relation to Haibane who flew away like Kuu or the effects the wall has on Haibane?

I wonder if all Toga are Haibane who were sin-bound on their day of flight. At least it would explain why they care about helping Haibane so much. But then what explains the sign language, do they lose their ability to speak? Is that what secludes them from Haibane and humans? Why is the communicator an exception? Also, they are talking as if Reki can never go outside the walls if she can't cure being sin-bound but Toga can go outside the town.

I wish I could watch the rest right away to get the answers.
Oct 7, 2012 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
Dang, really thought it would confirmed that the Toga were sinbound Haibane, that seems like that's incorrect based on what the Communicator said. Interesting scene inside the walls with Rakka. And the end.....what is Reki going to do. I didn't want the episode to end there.
Jan 7, 2013 2:36 PM

May 2012
Great episode, but what I wonder ore is that fossil book, it looks that the glyph are from those weird people from that temple!
Mar 12, 2013 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode.
This is set in the early 1900's?
May 7, 2013 4:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
VictimOfFate said:

I wonder if all Toga are Haibane who were sin-bound on their day of flight. At least it would explain why they care about helping Haibane so much. But then what explains the sign language, do they lose their ability to speak? Is that what secludes them from Haibane and humans? Why is the communicator an exception? Also, they are talking as if Reki can never go outside the walls if she can't cure being sin-bound but Toga can go outside the town.

Yeah I found this really interesting, it looks like the Communicator has wings too...so maybe that's what Reki would become if she decides to not be saved?
May 29, 2013 4:32 AM

Aug 2007
clannad4ever said:
NeloDeath said:

4/5

If you are talking about Reki and Rakka, then you must have never experienced these types of feelings.

Reki is completely consumed by depression, which in all forms are a circle of sin. Since you don't want other people to help you and get caught in your mess, you bare all your ill feelings. Reki used to express her feelings, but to an extent that it became selfish and irresponsible. Now she's on the other end of the spectrum, balling up her emotions. She still wants someone to be there for her, but is too scared to reach out. She envies Rakka because she went through something similar but has overcome her issues so quickly.

Rakka on the other hand, is on the side of seeing someone who is depressed and suicidal. It hurts because you want to help your friend so bad, but know that you can't do much unless they are willing to tell you and let you in.

Nov 14, 2013 4:12 AM

Apr 2012
Leki, NO! What are you doing with all this black paint? Put down the tin, slowly. Don't even think about ruining all your paintings when you're so close to remembering.

I really liked the moment with the singing when all those invisible spirits pass by Rakka in the tunnel btw.
EratiKNov 14, 2013 4:18 AM
Feb 18, 2014 1:36 AM

Apr 2013
Only 2 more episodes left :(
May 18, 2014 3:13 AM
Aug 2011
So the carvings are actually writings in the sign language they use with their hands.

Also, communicator does not have a wing, those are most likely just representative.
Jul 10, 2014 4:47 AM

Aug 2012
I can relate too much to this anime, it makes it too sad to watch sometimes.
May 25, 2015 10:52 AM

Feb 2013
Oh! It's written in that sign-language.

This anime needs more of that giggling-children-water-drops type stuff.
Oct 19, 2015 3:48 AM
Nov 2014
Right in the feels.
Dec 5, 2015 11:36 AM

Mar 2010
I wonder what happened to reki in the past with that other girl?

And will nemu move on after what reki said?

I hope reki can still be saved tbh would be sad if she didnt..

I got a feeling that sinners become like the communicstor? Since the communicator doesnt live among haibane nor humans
Jan 15, 2016 8:04 AM

Jan 2014
Wow, this was sad. Now I feel emos.
Jan 15, 2016 8:28 AM

Oct 2013
Communicator is officially the best character. It is very likely Reki will become his successor.

very pensive episode, just like this series. gentle, yet sorrowful.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 29, 2016 7:50 PM
Jul 2014
To end what exactly?!? She 's not planning to commit a suicide, is she? Poor girl Reki, she is so alone, even between people (Haibane)!!!
Feb 5, 2016 1:49 AM

Apr 2012
What!
Yeah it very much felt like suicide but we'll see.

So the Communicator was a Haibane. I still imagine Haibane as girls though we've seen a few boys now.

Reki doesn't actually have a "real" job like a good Haibane does she? She's a house mother but sitting around painting makes me think it doesn't count. Her just getting a proper job doesn't seem like the solution to being sin-bound though.

I suspected when we first saw the inside of the walls that the writing was the names of past Haibane. In my theory of the Haibane becoming angels, their earthly remains could be used to make the material the halos are made from, would make sense.
Jun 29, 2017 1:20 PM

Sep 2015
The pieces are starting to come together. Kind of just leaving me with more questions though. Rakka learns ASL from Kuu's spirit juice? Maybe that's insensitive. But definitely a little strange. It does seem to reveal they don't move on to somewhere else. I guess it really is kind of like dying. In a reaching nirvana kind of way. Maybe the world they're in is some kind of post life, pre enlightenment between world? Like they have to come to terms with their deaths. And then they can move on? Quite an intriguing show. As the end draws near, I question how many answers it will give us. I wouldn't hate it if it left a lot ambiguous though.

The Communicator and Rakka's conversation about Reki was interesting. Seemed to be framing the ending conflict. Will Rakka be able to help Reki move on? There's something moving about Reki constantly claiming she'll always be there for Rakka. And her own issue being no one is always there for her. If a little ham fisted. I really like the solution to the sin bound riddle. Friendship and the importance of social bonds is a frequent theme in anime. But its implementation here feels well handled and natural. Little worried about Reki there at the end though. Still think this show could get even darker.
Jul 2, 2017 10:04 AM

Feb 2016
AVERAGELY-SIZED WALL OF NOTES THAT HOPEFULLY DO NOT HAVE SUDDENLY-APPEARING RIPPLES WITHIN IT AND WHICH SHALL BE PRESENTED TO THE OTHER PRESENT INTELLECTUALS OF THE SOCIETY OF MYANIMELIST SPECIFICALLY PERTAINING TO EPISODE ELEVEN OF THE SHOW HAIBANE RENMEI

• Immediately, Rakka’s interpersonal sensitivity is showcased, putting two-and-two together and commenting that Reki is still struggling with her Sin-Bound curse and her lost dream. Maybe Rakka doesn’t exactly know how Reki feels, but Rakka was able to pick up on at the very least the fact that she’s having this struggle.

• During the conversation between the kid headed to the Abandoned Factory and Rakka, the character models were derpy as fuck. It was funny to see, but it distracts from the conversation. I’m glad the conversation wasn’t very important, but still…

• The laugh the “welcoming party” made was very stupid. It’s not the stupidest laugh I’ve heard in my life, but it’s up there.

• The way the young kid just awkwardly listens to the adults conversing gives me some nostalgia.

• Skateboards, because early 2000s.

• The young kid is going really fast on that skateboard. Usually, a newbie would wobble in one place, too scared to move too fast.

• Also, screw helmets.

• Midori is a tsundere, 100%.

• “She is always considerate of others, even when she’s suffering inside.” It’s kind of weird that Rakka can sense Reki’s inner suffering, but seems to forget that people can be different from who they were before.

• After this line, she even states that she sensed that Reki suffered far more than herself when Kuu died. She’s emotionally sensitive enough to know this, but she’s still not smart enough to realize that people are different from who they were in the past!?

• Maybe I’m being shallow about this. Maybe there’s a reason why Rakka cannot realize this basic fact.

• Maybe she underestimates how much people can change over the course of their lifetime.

• Maybe she senses an inner strength within Reki that seems so powerful that it seems like the kind of thing that is built into a purpose from birth.

• Maybe she places Reki on a pedestal because of how kind Reki has been to Rakka. Maybe because of this, she cannot imagine Reki as anything less.

• Midori’s lines earlier does seem to hint that Reki’s do-gooding is compensation for something terrible Reki’s done in the past or for her own lack of self-worth. At least, it does shine a light on how Midori views Reki.

• Oh boy. The show just got kind of creepy. Ripples appearing out of nowhere just really creeps me out in a way no other thing can.

• I keep forgetting about the possibility that the winter itself might represent something. After finding out that not a lot is explained by the end of the show, I’m willing to bet that everything about the setting of the show is metaphorical of something, and that winter is one of them. Yet, I will not make any conclusions to as to what the winter represents. I will wait for the ending.

• A bit more world-building. Some Haibane do not have their Day of Flight. The Communicator, from the way the scene was directed, seems to be one of them.

• Did they just call the bicycle a “scooter”?

• I don’t think it’s a good idea to let a newbie skateboard right next to the river (where there are no guardrails).

• Y’know, I really dig the show’s main theme song. The way it plays while Rakka runs sadly was pretty effective. Also, it sounds nice regardless.

• Rakka crying was beautifully pathetic. Pathetic scenes like that just hit extra hard, you know.

• Also, it was an interesting decision to have Rakka cry in front of beautiful reflecting water. The reflected light from the water seems to almost consume Rakka. I like that decision.

• Rakka suddenly crying after only just talking to Reki was surprising, but an interesting choice. I guess Reki was so goddamn depressing (in a non-straightforward way) during their talk that it seemed hopeless for Rakka who wanted to help Reki with her depression.

• Reki says the line everyone in the movies say before they kill themselves. It’s pretty cliché. However, it is also one of the lines most used as red herrings.

• Well, it was a good episode. It was a lot more fleshing-out of Reki’s character. We didn’t necessarily learn anything new about her, but the episode helped with our understanding about her character and her struggle. We also crucially learn that some Haibane don’t experience the Day of Flight. (It is implied the Communicator is one of them with his old age and how the shots seemed to emphasize him when he revealed that). We also see Rakka grow a bit. She wants Reki to be able to experience the Day of Flight, however she knows how she acted when Kuu had her Day of Flight. Along with that struggle, Reki just seems so depressed that Rakka doubts whether it is possible to really help her. Also, there are STRANGE THINGS in the walls and PETRIFIED MAGIC BOOKS. Overall, a good episode. The climax really does feel like it’s nearing.
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Apr 12, 2018 8:24 AM

Feb 2018
This show has some nice premises, but the pacing is sooooo slow, it's really not enjoyable for me.
Jun 23, 2019 6:31 AM

Oct 2012
Reki is going to go away pretty soon from the looks of it

I feel really bad for Reki, she's basically lost and no one left able to show her the way
It's like lost in a forest without no direction
And Rakka too, she'll be really sad if Reki gone

I feel like people are going to miss the meanings, but then again anime have a lot of ways to enjoy
I enjoy the philosophy of this anime, though I'm not good at interpreting
Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much xD
"Signature removed"
Mar 24, 2020 6:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Again development for Reki and Rakka but maybe it's really important for the next two episodes
Sep 1, 2020 8:53 PM

Mar 2020
Geez. What a great episode.

I wasn't expecting this show to take the direction that it did, but it's certainly better off for it. My only complaint is that it took far too long for things to get interesting. Even though the first half of the series was dedicated to establishing the characters and the setting, it's only now that things are beginning to feel developed

I'm not entirely sure why this series has been so lauded. There's either something I'm missing, or the last two episodes are an 11/10 magnum opus.
Jan 3, 2021 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
No longer human, no longer Haibane. They live a peaceful but lonely life. Sounds like the Otaku life. The Hikikomori life even.
Apr 3, 2021 1:21 AM
Jun 2017
Interesting.

The signs on the book are the same of those inside the wall. If it's true that they're hand signals, they could be connected with the Toga and maybe all mysteries would be revealed.

So the Communicator is one of those who were unable to depart from Glie. It's pretty sad when you think about it.

The music of the scene inside the wall was very good. It's a pity that my earphones weren't working correctly, so only my right ear enjoyed the experience.

There are 2 episodes left.
Mar 23, 2022 12:42 AM

Dec 2021
When Reki told Nemu her message for Kuramori and then said it's time to end things, i thought she was going to kill herself... But i hope that's not the case. Really want to know what's gonna happen to Reki
Mar 9, 2023 7:23 PM

Dec 2022
This means the Toga are the haibane who remain then? They live separate from humans and haibane alike, cover their shoulder blades and heads, and seem to all be adult men.

Rakka seems to like Reki a lot. Even after a fairly reserved conversation regarding time, she runs off near the cliffs and starts getting all teary and possessive about how she will be the one who helps Reki. I found it hilarious, even though it wasn't really intended to be.

Shaded Horizon

Sep 15, 2023 5:01 AM

Sep 2017
Reki realizes that either way she'll no longer have a place in the Old Home... I still wonder what the Day of Flight is supposed to represent? Leaving your parents' home?
Oh and the wall scene was just angelic.
I think I'm starting to get it, the Haibane were people who died without fullfiling what they wanted?
خ

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

jacobpaige - Apr 24, 2008

261 by rasterman7 »»
Mar 22, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Apr 23, 2008

77 by killugxn »»
Mar 10, 12:50 PM

» This is so beautiful.

lFrogs - Nov 16, 2022

22 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:53 PM

Poll: » I don't get the ENDING of this show, and it didn't answer any of the obvious questions the series kept teasing.

Cestlavie_ - Nov 11, 2023

8 by JizzyHitler »»
Mar 6, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Haibane Renmei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Apr 22, 2008

126 by Yabuki_kyoma »»
Nov 10, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.