Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2011 9:22 AM

Dec 2007
I guess we could get some form of discussion going, even if we've stopped voting for so long.

As said in the title, which pieces do you think defined the general anisong(OP/ED/IN)/animusic(BGM) consciousness for 2011? Sis Puella Magica? Skyclad Observer? MAD-NUG? Secret Base? Hyadain no Kakakakataomoi? :3

Personal favorites (even obscure ones) are fine too!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 17, 2011 11:11 AM

Sep 2008
It feels kinda strange since a lot of the earlier releases this year seem like such a long time ago. OP/EDs have slowly fallen off my radar though I'd say Hyadain has kept me entertained as has Etsuko Yakushimaru who has not yet disappointed.

Soundtracks? I need to give Hanasaku Iroha a more rigorous listen since the only opportunities it's gotten has been as homework music, which means none of the themes have really gotten a chance to stick. Also need to give Ao no Exorcist a good listen since people have been telling me that's good since forever.

So out of all the OSTs that I've listened to carefully, I'd say Yumekui Merry is very solid and possibly my favorite thus far. Fractale's weird vocalized tracks are a bit off-putting when I first heard them, but it has kinda grown on me.
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Dec 18, 2011 5:34 PM

Dec 2007
I thought there were quite a few good anisongs this year, what with companies realising that pushing tie-in songs was really good business:-

• Dog Days was certainly aiming to sell in that respect, and I thought the songs were respectable as befitting the artists' calibre.
  • Galileo Galilei's stuff in Anohana and Gundam Age came as a breath of fresh air with their boyishly hopeful sound. No sophistication, just good music.
  • Rie Fu does her best performance yet with her heartfelt performance of the Hourou Musuko OP.
  • Those Shoujo OPs that Sound Awesome - KimiTodo2 OP/ED, Chihayafuru OP, Usagi Drop ED and I've probably forgotten even more.
  • Kaminomi 2 OP had the visual-novel-adaptation-powered team of ELISA and Lia, at least decent material, nuff said.
  • I liked Hyadain's Nichijou stuff. Catchy as all hell.
  • Sacred Seven OP - All that Kalafina goth in recent years needed to be washed away for something new man.

...And that's about it from me skimming my list. Will write on soundtracks later.
Dec 22, 2011 10:33 AM

Sep 2008
Last Exile's OST. I think we've got a winner. Waiting for Chihayafuru to confirm pretty much.
Dec 23, 2011 7:01 AM
Aug 2008
How is that thing anyways? I got it in the mail today and it looks...and feels just like last exile OST from the first series. and the show seems to suggest even the music doesn't differ all that much.

As for my own personal choice of best in 2011, it would be hands down, the Kara no Kyoukai OST. I'm revising my "Kajiura's best work" answer from Mai-hime to that now.

Hourou Musuko OP is actually one of my favorites in 2011, not so much because of the song, but it works so well with the animation.

I think I'm going to say Ben-to being the most inventive soundtrack lol.

Blood-C has all those Nana Mizuki humming, that counts right?

Stone Cold is great but eh @ S7.

Elisa x Lia in Kaminomi 2 is pretty nice, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Kaminomi 1.

Triple H's ARB covers is great and caps a trend about moe voice singers. Actually all the Op/Ed in Penguindrum are pretty good.

Best karaoke Op/Ed goes to Denpa Onna OP. Infinite Stratos OP a close second.
Dec 24, 2011 9:19 AM

Sep 2008
Well, I do enjoy it a lot. Yeah, it's similar to Last Exile's OST, but that was never a bad thing in my book. Maybe slightly less grand, but that's about it. The consistency is what won me over. If we're talking album release years, then Kara no Kyoukai will be up there though that does depend upon one's stance on Kajiura too.
Dec 25, 2011 9:22 AM

Dec 2007
omo said:
How is that thing anyways? I got it in the mail today and it looks...and feels just like last exile OST from the first series. and the show seems to suggest even the music doesn't differ all that much.

As for my own personal choice of best in 2011, it would be hands down, the Kara no Kyoukai OST. I'm revising my "Kajiura's best work" answer from Mai-hime to that now.

Hourou Musuko OP is actually one of my favorites in 2011, not so much because of the song, but it works so well with the animation.

I think I'm going to say Ben-to being the most inventive soundtrack lol.

Blood-C has all those Nana Mizuki humming, that counts right?

Stone Cold is great but eh @ S7.

Elisa x Lia in Kaminomi 2 is pretty nice, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Kaminomi 1.

Triple H's ARB covers is great and caps a trend about moe voice singers. Actually all the Op/Ed in Penguindrum are pretty good.

Best karaoke Op/Ed goes to Denpa Onna OP. Infinite Stratos OP a close second.
Yeah I made that exact same revision back in 2010 re: Kajiura there :3 Definitely know what you mean.

Have yet to watch Ben-to. Will rectify soon for Iwasaki lulz.

Blood-C with Nana humming? Well I haven't listened to that though IMO that's akin to saying that Shugo Chara is similar with her doing Enya impressions in that one lol...

Yes, the OP was the best part of S7.

I find the Kaminomi 1/2 OPs to be generally on the same level, Lia made up for what was lacking time-wise...

Also clean forgot about Last Exile Fam OP which IMO was pretty damn epic. Sakamoto x school food punishment FTMFW.

Still delaying that OST post. Not much longer, though.
Dec 27, 2011 6:10 AM

Dec 2007
Two more songs that I missed out - Nageki no Oto [Break Blade ED2], and nora [HidaSketch SP ED]. The former full of the sound of futility, the latter full of contentment. Both so damn fitting.

On OST talk for the year:

Blue Exorcist showed a willingness of Sawano to turn down his grandiose sounds a little for some subtlety and differing styles (including some Celtic!). It largely worked, I guess, to the point where some see it as his best anime work yet.

Was AnoHana good by any measure? I thought it left an impression if nothing else, even if a fair number of tracks didn't hit the mark, or were sorta overdoing it.

[C] has a cool score once you divorce it from the show, ironically. A Gurren-Lagann-lite which was well done IMO, with KamiMemo the far bigger Iwasaki disappointment.

Denpa Onna had a refreshing synth-y sound, knowing how Hyadain worked on it makes full sense in that electronic-new-age kind of way.

Freezing's OST had its high points too. Scores well in the epic department, though the dramatic tracks left something to be desired as opposed to say, ArakawaUB.

Fate/Zero's could've used a little more cello. Thankfully less chants this time. Also there was this orchestral part which I swear is Kajiura's quota of Sawano/Yokoyama for the year. :P

Gosick's was generally good stuff, but not great stuff. Nakagawa tugs very well at the forlorn heartstrings which simultaneously fit the period-atmosphere. And I'm still waiting for a Cross Game OST.

HanaIro is one step above Gosick, in that the peppy tracks supposed to be full of life are. Though that might be a dig at the shows rather than their respective music.

It feels to me that Gosick + Croisee would probably give HanaIro, in terms of how the effectiveness of the respective mood tracks go.

Kaiji 2's OST wins at tension, though not so with the hollow feeling that the show's supposed to give thereafter.

It's kinda weird how MacF movie 2 pretty much gives up on its BGM score and turns nearly entirely to the vocals. Well it's Macross turned up to 11, I guess.

Madoka's OST? My words will get lost in the sea of adoration so I'll refrain for this one.

Gundam AGE's score so far is pretty damn promising. Accomplishes what Sawano and Sahashi have similarly done before, but with a lot more childlike wonder traded for some epic (which is welcome, and fitting too).

Gundam Unicorn OST 2 gives more of the same epic, but with much more urgency and undulations in mood which fits the show's pace. And the slow pieces which were not in OST1 are released in it too.

Did NatsuYuujin 3 have its own score? It didn't, to me. Not happy about this.

Haven't had time to fully sample the Nichijou score yet. Though what I have is likeable stuff at the least.

Usagi Drop OST for warmest and fuzziest of the year.

Best OST release? I should say Hanasaku Iroha.

As for biggest disappointment, I'd go for Star Driver. So much fanfare over so little...
Jan 6, 2012 12:58 PM
Aug 2008
for your OST listing, I largely agree. I didn't thik Hanairo OST was that good, but it certainly is pretty good. other than that, i haven't listened to a lot of the stuff you listed like Kaiji 2 (like, lol) or Gosick. but I don't even like Nakagawa much.

just want to add that what makes Kara no Kyoukai worth mentioning in 2011 is that the newly arranged album is just a much better experience than the piecemeal scrap that came before it. i like it much better when basically, each track/motif for a given movie is compiled into "movements" basically.

at least it's a much more consistent and familiar presentation for me anyways.
Jan 10, 2012 11:08 AM
Nov 2007
kamisama dolls had that 'natsu no niwa' ED, probably my favorite of the year.

Still prefer Gundam UC over anything Sawano has done so far but exorcist was nice.

galileo galilei did some nice OP stuff, their arrangements are pretty interesting.

madoka ost, of course. but only the dark tracks. the happy ones were kinda meh.

nichiou ost was funny/well-placed but that seems more like a sound director thing than anything.

completely forgot about usagi drop ost...had some wonderful chamber orchestra stuff IIRC.

steins;gate OP/EDs were top notch, didn't really care for the OST though.

i like chihayafuru's OST in the show but wouldn't listen to it standalone.
Jan 23, 2012 8:08 AM

Dec 2007
Gundam UC is the Sawano piece of win that forever has my fanboy adulation. By that measure Exorcist is probably...decent haha. Also, Guilty Crown just put up a Steve Conte-ish insert song in the latest episode which felt soooooooooooooo Kanno LOL (though I guess that doesn't count as 2011)

I agree on lelangir's assessment of the Madoka OST actually, the dark ones really shone, probably helped very much by context.

I'm really hard-pressed to make an assessment on Nichijou even though I've finished the show. Sorry I don't have enough fortitude.

Fully agree on Steins;Gate.

So many good comments on Chihayafuru left and right... I feel left out for not getting it. :D

Oh right, Ben-to's OST is lots of fun! Especially love how Iwasaki just wields African ethnic chanting as like it's a part of his repertoire all along.
Jan 24, 2012 11:37 PM

Sep 2008
Ottocycle said:
So many good comments on Chihayafuru left and right... I feel left out for not getting it. :D
B-b-b-but that main theme! D:
Jan 27, 2012 8:20 AM

Dec 2007
zzeroparticle said:
B-b-b-but that main theme! D:

Soon enough, soon enough.

LETS GEDDIT

LETS GEDDIT

LETS GEDDIT LETS GEDDIT LETS GO
Jul 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Sep 2007
Favorite OST full stop in 2011 was Blue Exorcist.

Actually enjoyed Ano Hana's OP more than the ED. Song trumps imagery to me, silly enough.

Ben-tou's OST is pretty damn awesome.

Still haven't really listened to Fate/Zero's OST all the way, actually.

Hidamari Sketch's touches with each show never fail to sound pleasing to the ears.

Nichijou.

MADOKA comes in number 2 for me.

Seikon no Qwaser, actually, though not as good as the first season.

The World God Only Knows' OST has it's good moments. Of the OPs, still prefer the first one over the second one, though I think it's because of the visuals. Either way, the last ED of the first season wins over all.

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Week 64: Nominations Thread - Loneliness

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

18 by Kinushima »»
Nov 13, 2012 8:23 AM

» Improving the #malkeionbu

omo - Sep 16, 2010

26 by omo »»
Aug 11, 2011 11:18 AM

» Week 63: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

2 by mrmuk »»
Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

» Week 59: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Aug 16, 2010

10 by Pocari »»
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 PM

» Week 64: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Oct 7, 2010

2 by ottocycle »»
Oct 26, 2010 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.