Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 27, 2014 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
That was a much better episode overall, so I feel more comfortable giving my initial impressions.

The OP is kinda eh; the CG itself isn't so bad, but it doesn't really click for me. The theme music is really nice, though.

I like the setting. In a world of extreme AI complexity and cybernetic enhancements, the most basic question this poses is the meaning of being human. If AI is complex enough to mimic emotions in combination with decision making, is it "alive"? Does a program mimicking a human's brain qualify as being human?

I would say no, even decisively so. However, that doesn't remove the intrigue. I suppose arguments could still be made for their being "alive", even if I don't exactly agree. It is our uniquely human sentiment that causes attachment; like many others, I thought the mini tanks were rather cute/humorous with their quirky "personalities".

The most interesting question here is wherein the soul lies. To what extent can a machine sustain a soul? Even with all the memories, idosyncrasies, and sentiments of a human, I can't bring myself to consider the tank and Kago the same. It may emulate him; it may even do so perfectly, but it's not him. It's a machine. That doesn't make the last scene any less touching; after all, this is likely what he would do if he were a tank, so to speak.

The cybernetic brain enhancements are interesting as well. Our consciousness lies in our brain, so I'm curious how far these enhancements go. During the first episode, I actually questioned whether those with removable brains are still human: I do find it more likely that they are in this case, provided that the enhancements are "add ons" rather than "replacements", though it's certainly an odd scenario. The ability to upload and download information is particularly cool, as is the ability to communicate without speaking.

I certainly got a thought-provoking series. Will this be episodic all the way through though? I would like to see a stronger plot develop at some point.
Jan 18, 2015 5:19 AM

Nov 2013
cute robots lol. Loving this a lot. The OST is absolutely phenomenal.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 4, 2015 8:53 AM

Jul 2012
the part where the big tank finally got into the city it went a bit atmospheric/nostalgic, something I haven't felt since Cowboy Bebop's first episode where they're chasing the drug dealer, the music is aaaaweesomeee and I'm really liking this series, I love the characters from the movies but this new setting is more accessible
Mar 18, 2015 2:08 PM

Feb 2015
This was a sad episode imo. Better than the first one that's for sure.

For some reason, I like those mini-tanks.
Apr 14, 2015 5:06 PM
Nov 2014
Moe robot is amazing xD... Good episode, man that was sad to see when Major fried Kago's brain.
Apr 25, 2015 8:39 PM

Aug 2014
The little blue robots seem a bit out of place with their cuteness and comic relief for such a serious show.
Jun 7, 2015 11:52 AM

Oct 2014
way more better than the first episode
Jun 23, 2015 10:31 AM

May 2012
well im a little late to the party lol, that was almost 10x better than the entirety of the arise series, im gonna enjoy this
Jun 23, 2015 11:25 AM

May 2015
frequency15k said:
well im a little late to the party lol, that was almost 10x better than the entirety of the arise series, im gonna enjoy this

Stand alone complex is the best in my opinion.
Oct 3, 2015 11:50 AM

May 2014
Oh man I loved this episode. The mini-robots were really funny, the action/chase was great, and that ending was pretty sad :(. More than anything, the music toward the end of the ep was perfect and showed more of Yoko Kanno's brilliance. I can tell I'm going to really enjoy this series. :)
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Dec 29, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Nice episode, in the end he COULD at least show them his steel body. That ending song though... still so awesome :o
Jan 30, 2016 10:07 PM

Jul 2011
Coming back for a rewatch to cleanse my mind after ARISE.

Yoko Kanno, your fking music and OSTs. T___T

Great mix of humor and seriousness. I missed you, GitS. <3
Feb 10, 2016 6:15 PM

Aug 2014
The Technology in this anime is so impressive, Great OST.
Lots of action in this episode, very entertaining.
Great Episode.
Apr 18, 2016 8:15 AM

Jul 2012
Mirorin said:
Coming back for a rewatch to cleanse my mind after ARISE.

Yoko Kanno, your fking music and OSTs. T___T

Great mix of humor and seriousness. I missed you, GitS. <3

Is Arise that bad? I wanted to watch Alternate Arch but thought I watch this first.

I was just going to ask if anyone knew who those real life photos were from? Only if someone knew if it was reference to the memory of someone or anything like that. I think it is a really well made anime that ties up everything together
Apr 18, 2016 9:44 AM

Jul 2011
spacemonkey93 said:

Is Arise that bad? I wanted to watch Alternate Arch but thought I watch this first.

I was just going to ask if anyone knew who those real life photos were from? Only if someone knew if it was reference to the memory of someone or anything like that. I think it is a really well made anime that ties up everything together

ARISE doesn't have the quality of the original movie nor the Kamiyama Kenji adaptations. Personally I found them to be more sci-fi action flicks rather than philosophical works (or touching upon themes like in this episode), and they're a bit hard to follow plot-wise due to the execution. Character designs were redone, and personalities were changed a little bit - most notably in the Major, who I found dislikable in the ARISE version. It's a very different portrayal, and not one that many really liked (especially long-time fans). Music was also pretty bland in comparison to Yoko Kanno's works in SAC and 2nd GIG.

You can still watch ARISE, but I highly suggest watching the two TV series (and movie) to compare and contrast if you choose to do so.
Also, watch the movies of ARISE, not the TV version that edits out some of the scenes and makes it harder to follow.
Apr 18, 2016 11:11 AM

Jul 2012
Mirorin said:
spacemonkey93 said:

ARISE doesn't have the quality of the original movie nor the Kamiyama Kenji adaptations. Personally I found them to be more sci-fi action flicks rather than philosophical works (or touching upon themes like in this episode), and they're a bit hard to follow plot-wise due to the execution. Character designs were redone, and personalities were changed a little bit - most notably in the Major, who I found dislikable in the ARISE version. It's a very different portrayal, and not one that many really liked (especially long-time fans). Music was also pretty bland in comparison to Yoko Kanno's works in SAC and 2nd GIG.

You can still watch ARISE, but I highly suggest watching the two TV series (and movie) to compare and contrast if you choose to do so.
Also, watch the movies of ARISE, not the TV version that edits out some of the scenes and makes it harder to follow.

Thanks for your response, I watched a couple of years ago the original GITS 90´s movie, then the version with CGI and Innocence, I started watching SAC but stopped because the page where I could watch it with spanish subtitles was not working (I could watch a version with Eng subs but I enjoy it a bit better in spanish). Although I do like the sci-fi of both the movies and anime, I love it for the moments where you can contemplate Mayor´s character development and her relation with machines/consciousness/AI, so maybe I´ll try ARISE just to check out the spin-off after I am done with this one :) thanks again
Apr 18, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2011

No problem. I think I'm quite biased against the ARISE series, in some honesty. As a standalone sci-fi it would have been fine perhaps, but GitS is iconic and established. ARISE just didn't feel like it met the standard and expectations of fans.

Hope you enjoy the series though. It's worth your time. ^^
Apr 29, 2016 9:22 AM
Jan 2012
Aug 4, 2016 12:16 PM

Dec 2012
Getting a better feel for this now, felt like this episode grabbed my attention more. That moment when Kago aimed at his parents looked like he was reaching out to them in that final moment. That ost that was playing was godly.
Aug 14, 2016 7:48 PM
Aug 2016
This was a good filler-type episode and I liked it a lot better than the first ep.

Especially when things get all emotional twisted towards the end. I noticed Kago never really wanted to hurt anyone, like when he shot all those bullets at those people in the beginning. A high tech tank like that wouldn't miss, and Kago was really only doing damage to machines/buildings.

So he just wanted to see his parents? Or was it a final quest for revenge? I don't know, but the story was great.
Sep 25, 2016 8:19 AM

Oct 2012
Poor guy :(
He's probably just want to see their parents

Tachikoma!! Nooo, it's too late.. or should I say too flat? xD
Rayl1ghtSep 25, 2016 8:22 AM
"Signature removed"
Mar 28, 2017 3:32 AM

May 2016
DAMN the major sure got some nice back xD
Apr 9, 2017 2:58 AM
Aug 2015
Cyborg ass is great. 10/10
Apr 14, 2017 2:50 AM

Jun 2016
Started watching the series today and wasn't blown away by the first episode. This one however was really cool. Looking forward to more.
That ass shot though.
Jun 25, 2017 2:51 PM

Dec 2015
Major's fanservice moments tho 😍
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 11, 2017 2:33 PM

Aug 2015
Great episode. Interesting to see that religion still has a huge influence in a world with that type of advanced technology. Also, if Kago's mind could've been put into that tank, does that mean it could be put on another type of robot, thus making he live forever? If so, imortality has already been achieved in this society.
In the end Kago didn't want to take revenge on his parents, just wanted to show them how he could've lived on a robotic body. Most people found the Tachikoma cute, but I dunno, their voices are too... unsettling for me, haha, they're too weird.
Best part of the episode, tho, was das boot

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Dec 19, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2016
Yeah.. not sure I'm really digging the show. I'm zoning in and out even after rewinding back to certain parts where I was not paying attention. When it came to the scene of him meting his parents, I did not know he did it to show off his toy. I really thought he wanted to kill his parents, but could not due to her short circuiting his brain before he could.. how bad is that on my part :).

Gonna keep trying, but so far not my cup of tea.
Mar 14, 2018 1:52 PM
Jan 2018
I still the tank looks exactly like the tank in the opening. Quite peculiar
Apr 9, 2018 2:36 PM

Apr 2014
the camera angles in this show are trippy

Also, they love showing off majors asspects every chance they get, hopefully it doesn't continue for the next 48 eps :^) cos that'd be annoying af

May 18, 2018 9:30 AM

Feb 2014
I love it when a show speaks my language

Oct 29, 2018 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
The Tachikomas are pretty fun.

I liked the first episode, but plotwise it doesn't even come close to this one. Great stuff.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Feb 2017
A parental complex to surpass metal gear.
Mar 28, 2019 4:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I had forgotten about this episode. Even though it's only towards the end, they manage to show some of how religion still plays a part in this ultramodern society. I can imagine that there will really be a strong pushback to prosthetic bodies if/when they become available.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 8, 2019 6:49 PM

Mar 2017
Amazing sound design this episode. Especially during the first few minutes. Those tanks are gnarly.
bingamu85Apr 11, 2019 5:18 AM
Aug 22, 2019 11:24 AM

Sep 2017
Really good episode !

Does anyone know the name of the OST during the tank chase by the way ?
Nov 3, 2020 10:59 PM

Feb 2019
The little tanks are cute creatures

a lot of badass looking weapons
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Jan 2, 2021 1:44 PM

May 2018
Tachikomas, gel like concrete, human brain wired to spider robots... this is the future :D

ngl I like the episodic nature so far. I'm guessing that there will be a larger revolving plot coming up soon
Dec 31, 2021 11:01 PM

Oct 2021
the OP has them bowling alley tv graphics
Feb 8, 2022 2:01 PM
Mar 2018
does anyone know where can i find the song on 16:12min?
May 12, 2022 2:41 AM

Dec 2021
good stuff. first 2 episodes have proven that i really have to pay attention since there were some stuff that i had to look back and confirm
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Jul 13, 2022 11:44 AM

May 2017
I was a little hesitant to start the 2nd episode after the somewhat mediocre first episode. But this one was a banger. Incredible music, stellar animation and some very well written scenes. Kago's las wish combined with the insert song was sweet
Dec 2, 2022 11:55 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Was initially intending only to watch a handful of episodes just to see what the show was like, before most likely dropping it as this isn't quite my kind of anime. However this episode was quite badass; if most of the remaining episodes continue be of this caliber or even just close to it, this is going to be a good watch. From the looks of it, SAC is entirely episodic, which in most cases would be a turn off for me. But again, if each episode is capable of hitting this hard, well I think I can understand why SAC's remain as singleH's FULL 10/10's on his list (like not just 9.9's). And yeah to be honest that's why I picked up SAC. It does intrigue me to see what a 10/10 show is to someone who has that low of a mean score. Anyways, on to the next episode then.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 31, 2022 2:17 AM

Sep 2018
The soundtrack is already incredible, both OP and ED and the OSTs. Another good episode. 
Feb 16, 2023 3:51 AM
Nov 2021
I wanna fuck a piece of metal
Jun 8, 2023 1:41 PM

Dec 2022
The tanks (and tachikoma) are more empathetic than they were in the original movie. Of course, the only tank in the 1995 movie was a speechless vehicle that mangled Motoko. Meanwhile, the tanks in SAC seem to be completely sentient, and the tachikoma in particular are winsome and curious. There's something quite poignant about them getting damaged invoking sympathy, despite their "unhuman" chassis. I think it's what's inside that counts.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 10, 8:10 PM
Dec 2018
It's just a hallucination - I hope so but we won't know that now, interesting episode
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.