Forum Settings
Forums

Eating With Chop Sticks: What makes you act Japanese?

New
Aug 13, 2007 6:14 PM

Jan 2007
Alright, I want to start this project studing the habits that us Otakus go through on a day to day basis. I want to ask questions on why you act, speak, or changed your life style to be more Japanese like. If you are a serious Otaku you should know that the Term "Otaku", refers to a pasty strange person, and I don't think that is a good thing. So, the question is what makes you think you are capable of being Japanese?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2007 6:23 PM

Jul 2007
I'm not an otaku by any means. I watch anime because it's cool and fun to watch. If I hear anyone say a Kawai or a desu or a ne I turn around and never speak to them again. There are a couple who do it and they're all in the anime club. I've been to one meeting and they were watching FMA, I've never been back since.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 13, 2007 6:23 PM

Jul 2007
I think if Michael Jackson can become a white guy I can become an asian guy. He inspires me to get this race change operation and the day I become asian no one can call me a weeaboo anymore. I'll then be able to brag about how asian I am and all my white friends will be super jealous.

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 13, 2007 6:26 PM

Jul 2007
Accidental double post, delete or disregard please.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 13, 2007 6:26 PM

Mar 2007
Well truthfully, only Japanese people or people born in Japan are Japanese.. and not many anime fans consider themselves Japanese.. also a lot of people tend to add certain aspects of different cultures to their very own - many Japanese people (or people who live in Japan) have adapted many "western" aspects.

So, in response, anyone can add whatever aspects of which ever culture they choose, and there is nothing wrong with it. I myself have grown up in Japan so may aspects of my daily life can be regarded as Japanese, yet then again I do follow other aspects of other cultures as well.

Plus, if you view the word otaku to be an insult, or a bad thing, then why do you have it in your name?
Aug 13, 2007 6:28 PM

Jul 2007
Because I'm Chinese and to an inexperienced eye look Japanese?
Nah, the most I can become is a honorary Japanese person and that might be quite a challenge. The same might goes to other people as well.

The most I've done is the usual stuff like anime, listen to their music to a point and eat their food.
I have tried to learn Japanese but chances are slim so I mostly stopped. I just want to slowly understand the speech now.

And thats it, I guess.
Aug 13, 2007 6:34 PM

Mar 2005
pretty much what azndude said. seriously, it's not like only japanese ppl eat with chopsticks >_>
Aug 13, 2007 6:36 PM

Mar 2007
i agree = )
Aug 13, 2007 7:07 PM

Oct 2006
You know, it bothers me a bit when I see people trying so hard to adopt Japanese customs and use Japanese words and all. I do what I feel like and enjoy, so I'll often eat with chopsticks if I'm having a Japanese or Chinese dish, and I use some Japanese words from time to time, but never with the intent of appearing somehow closer to Japanese culture.

It's not so much the behaviors that bother me as the reasons behind them. It just seems silly to put much effort into outward appearances - you should do things because you want to rather than so you'll appear a certain way to others, no? So it always irks me when I see people loading up on Pocky (what's so special about it? It's frosting on a stick) or wearing those goofy baseball caps with the team's colors and kanji instead of a logo.
Aug 13, 2007 7:11 PM

Mar 2005
Krelian said:
So it always irks me when I see people loading up on Pocky (what's so special about it? It's frosting on a stick) or wearing those goofy baseball caps with the team's colors and kanji instead of a logo.

I used to eat Pocky (cuz i'm chinese, not a weeaboo). that stuff is way overpriced D:
Aug 13, 2007 7:11 PM

Apr 2007
I agree with Krelian completely (nothing new).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2007 7:12 PM

Jan 2007
serenity043 said:
Well truthfully, only Japanese people or people born in Japan are Japanese.. and not many anime fans consider themselves Japanese.. also a lot of people tend to add certain aspects of different cultures to their very own - many Japanese people (or people who live in Japan) have adapted many "western" aspects.

So, in response, anyone can add whatever aspects of which ever culture they choose, and there is nothing wrong with it. I myself have grown up in Japan so may aspects of my daily life can be regarded as Japanese, yet then again I do follow other aspects of other cultures as well.

Plus, if you view the word otaku to be an insult, or a bad thing, then why do you have it in your name?

Because I am pasty white and strange at times. But your opinion is one for the books I must say. It is true that anyone is free to absorb or learn from many other cultures. But what I'm trying to find out is what makes an Anime fan and Anime fan, there has to be more to it then just watching Anime.

Aug 13, 2007 7:17 PM

Mar 2007
i see what you mean now
Aug 13, 2007 7:18 PM

Jan 2007
Krelian said:
You know, it bothers me a bit when I see people trying so hard to adopt Japanese customs and use Japanese words and all. I do what I feel like and enjoy, so I'll often eat with chopsticks if I'm having a Japanese or Chinese dish, and I use some Japanese words from time to time, but never with the intent of appearing somehow closer to Japanese culture.

It's not so much the behaviors that bother me as the reasons behind them. It just seems silly to put much effort into outward appearances - you should do things because you want to rather than so you'll appear a certain way to others, no? So it always irks me when I see people loading up on Pocky (what's so special about it? It's frosting on a stick) or wearing those goofy baseball caps with the team's colors and kanji instead of a logo.

Ah, this is a response I was expecting as well. Conflicting with what Serenity043 mentioned. Though people choose to add Japanese Customs to their life, the serious Anime Fan tends to take it over the edge. Basically they're trying to say I'm more Japanese then you'll ever be toward other members of the Anime Fan Nation. Like Kerlian said, "It just seems silly to put much effort into outward appearances".

Aug 13, 2007 7:20 PM

Oct 2006
I don't dislike Pocky, but it's too expensive and I don't quite get the hype... it's not really anything special. If I'm going to go out of my way to drop by the asian food market and get snacks, it needs to be something good, like those Chinese mooncakes.

[edit] I think part of the whole Japanese culture thing is that most Anime fans are at least slightly infatuated with Japan, such that they'd like certain things simply because they're Japanese. And if you watch a lot of anime, you're immersed in the culture in an odd sort of way, so I suppose it's natural to be curious about things you come across. For example, I've always wondered what melon pan tastes like.
KrelianAug 13, 2007 7:25 PM
Aug 13, 2007 7:31 PM

Apr 2007
I eat everything with Chopsticks. Except for soup or cereal.
Aug 13, 2007 7:40 PM

Jan 2007
Rather than becoming more Japanese, my lifestyle has been becoming more otaku. I watch a lot more anime and read a lot more manga than i used to. And i started collecting figures this year. I have 4 big ones a bunch of small ones and a bunch on pre-order atm. Since i'm Vietnamese, i'm already eating with chopsticks and doing a lot of asian stuff that is similar to the japanese.

off topic: this talk about chopsticks is reminding me about some show, where they were eating potato chips with chopsticks but i cant put my finger on it. can someone help out?
Aug 13, 2007 8:03 PM

Mar 2005
Krelian said:
For example, I've always wondered what melon pan tastes like.

melon pan is awesome! crispy on the outside, soft in the inside like they say. (I had it for breakfast almost every day last year :3
Aug 13, 2007 8:04 PM

May 2007
lolz@ topic. entertaining, much. XD

I just watch anime because I like it, and only watch the anime that truly interests me (not just because it's anime). But I watch all sorts of foreign film, not just because it's foreign, but because I don't stick to just one country when looking for entertainment. And I don't watch things just because they're foreign, either; if something doesn't interest me, or if I don't like it, then it doesn't matter where it's from.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand, watching foreign entertainment has certainly influenced me in one way or another, but I don't go out of my way to eat with chopsticks when a fork will do, or bow or kiss people on the cheeks, or offer them to sit and have a cup of tea when they enter my home, or insist that they take off their shoes at the door. Because none of these things are customary to where I currently live.
Aug 13, 2007 8:28 PM

Jan 2007
Hmm... many of you have amazing opinions on what makes you an Anime Fan. I also want to know what made you fall in love with Anime in the first place and what significance does it have to you? What measures do you take to make you want to be like the Japanese? Are you trying to Stand out or are you just influenced by Anime?

Aug 13, 2007 8:33 PM
May 2007
kei-clone said:
Krelian said:
For example, I've always wondered what melon pan tastes like.

melon pan is awesome! crispy on the outside, soft in the inside like they say. (I had it for breakfast almost every day last year :3

Melon pan! <33

serenity043 said:

Agree. I don't like at all to be called as"otaku" or "j-rocker" like the ppl here usually does, just because they like anime or j-rock.
I'm an anime and j-rock fan and thats all, like there are a lot of fans of another things around there.

Everyone is free to enjoy whatever kind of culture they like from any country... that's what i think, but... its bulls*** when it start to fell like you're obligated to do some things, or you're not a "real anime fan" >_>;
a
Aug 13, 2007 8:35 PM
Jul 2007
Again, in agreeance. Just because i like aspects of another culture doesn't mean that i'm trying to change who i am.
Aug 13, 2007 9:07 PM

Oct 2006
That settles it, I'm going to have to see if I can find me some melon pan tomorrow.

its bulls*** when it start to fell like you're obligated to do some things, or you're not a "real anime fan" >_>

Definitely agree there. The only thing you need to do to be a "real anime fan" is to be a fan of anime =P

I also want to know what made you fall in love with Anime in the first place and what significance does it have to you? What measures do you take to make you want to be like the Japanese

I was always interested in Japanese culture - well, asian culture in general - so I can't really put a finger on where that started. But besides having an interest in martial arts, history, food and such, I didn't really start doing anything particularly Japanese until after I got into anime. That started with Trigun, if I remember... it wasn't the first anime I saw, but watching some of it with some friends got me to buy my first anime DVDs and I just took off from there. As I've gotten more into anime, I've grown more fond of Japanese music and the language in general, and curious about various things I've come across that're different from American culture. And I became rather fond of sushi, though that has no real connection to anime... I had a roommate who was always looking for a friend to go eat sushi with, and I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, so I tried it with him once and ended up becoming an addict myself.

Oh, I also ended up buying a kiseru (Japanese pipe) at one point. I always thought they were cool, and I enjoy smoking, so it seemed like a good idea. But that's probably the closest I've come to doing anything Japanese just because it happens to be Japanese.
Aug 13, 2007 9:18 PM

Jul 2007
For your question, yes, I do incorporate a few things into my life that are Japanese. I quite have a few graphic t's with geisha, my purse is one of Gwen Stefani's Harajuku Lovers, and I'm known to have a few Kasugai gummies on hand.

However...

My appreciation of other cultures isn't just for appearance. My offbeat wardrobe may indeed be inspired by Japan, but it's not "for show." It's because those are the things that make me happy -- my silk dragon messenger bag wasn't bought because it was asian; I bought it because I loved it.

I really don't think that an anime fan needs to incorporate those extras.

Anime hasn't really influenced those interests either. I would want to visit Japan because I like the culture, food, cities, and whatnot. I don't want to visit just because that's where anime is "born."

It's not just Japan either. I am the kind of person that needs my extra-virgin olive oil straight from Italy. I would really love to see Rome. Again, that's because it makes my happy not because I'm trying to be Italian.
Aug 13, 2007 9:31 PM

Nov 2004
I may repeat what some people say. Obviously I eat with chopsticks when I have to because I'm Chinese. I hate Japanese food. I don't really see what's wrong with adopting certain aspects of another culture. It's like anime fans who do that are labelled the somewhat derogatory term "japanophile" just because they are an anime fan. If they weren't an anime fan, no one would care if someone went to adopt some aspects of Japanese culture. Sort of like how plenty of Asian cultures (including Japanese culture) try to adopt aspects of western culture. Like bleaching your hair blond, listening to American music, watching Hollywood movies and etc.

And I'm part of my anime club. And liking it a lot. Everyone there are nice and pretty funny people. I never understand why online I always see everyone saying how they walked into their club and never returned again. Everyone in my club are like no different from my next door neighbour (who's Japanese actually but yeah, you get the point).
Aug 13, 2007 9:41 PM

Jan 2007

Ha, I like that word you mentioned "Japanophile", lol. But Seriously, there is no problem with adopting other cultures from around the world. I myself should know because I was raised in that kind of Enviroment. My family is from Brazil, and we still keep somewhat of a different culture in our own home. Another question has come to mind, since you aren't raised in a culture that is not yours then why adopt? Is there any true significance to why you are doing this? Do you plan to be involved in Japanese society in the future?

Aug 14, 2007 12:50 AM

Jul 2007
otakus, you sound like you're from the FBI. j/k =P

Ever since I got involved with anime, it did spark an interest on Japanese culture, especially food. Before this, the only Japanese food I knew was sushi. After watching Naruto, I started craving for ramen when I haven't even tasted it before. I'm still wondering how Natto and Soba tastes like. And did someone mention melon pan? That reminded me of Yakitate Japan. XD
Aug 14, 2007 1:46 AM

Aug 2007
OtakuFreak, I for one would encourage you to make a clear distinction between enjoying anime and Japanese culture, and "wanting to be like the Japanese". The latter is pretty much an impossibility, and something only the naive would ascribe to. Yes, I like anime, and since I've been into it, inspired by things I've seen and read, I've found I like a lot of Japanese food, I like some Japanese music, I've been there on holiday twice and I chose my University course because anime made me realise what an interesting language Japanese was. In the future I'd like to teach English in Japan. However, I'm far from labouring under the illusion that I will ever 'become Japanese' or even understand Japanese culture to anything more than a barely adequate degree.

That's not to say you have to do any of those things. There's no more to being an anime fan than liking anime. Simple as that; it's not something that needs capital letters any more than being a football fan does.

True, there are some who, like TheWestExit mentioned, affect all the most superfluous kinds of 'things that anime fans do' as they see them like using "Kawaii" in place of cute, and so on, and seem to think they understand Japan. My impression is that these are the ones who won't necessarily stick with anime, it's more of a phase or fashion thing (although It's wholly possible I'm wrong, of course)

The more naive, idealistic fans as a group are prone to idolise Japan; also a mistake. No-one who is serious about Japan believes it is any kind of paradise. For all the superb anime and cosplay cafes and yummy sushi, there's some very bad things about Japan too: whaling, institutionalised sexism, the issue of the government trying to cover up or deny facets of WWII, endemic corruption...it's no elysium. Also, the Japanese may welcome gaijin as tourists but there's no way any foreigner will ever be thought of as Japanese by Japanese people in general.

As such it's pointless trying to 'become Japanese'; better by far to simply appreciate all that Japan can offer, and offer something of your own culture back.

Personally, the thing I like most about Japan in general is the way absolutely everything is at once somehow similar to and totally different from western ways of doing things, from fundamentals like the writing system, attitudes and social structure to little details like clothes and the kinds of things eaten as snacks and so on. The differences, the similarities, the ways Japan copes with and adapts to outside ideas and the way the rest of the world adapts to Japan I find endlessly interesting.

Like melon bread. Melon bread > *.bread
YourMessageHereAug 14, 2007 1:50 AM
Aug 14, 2007 2:02 AM

Mar 2007
Meh, I've picked up a box or two of Pocky at times when I am at Walmart. I don't eat if for any real reason other than the fact that they taste good. Well, the first time I got them was because I've seen them in a few animes, so I wanted to give them a shot... that's about it. Also, seems people on here are saying Pocky is expensive... a box costs only $1.00 USD, which is quite cheap.

Also, when it comes to chopsticks, I only will use them once in a while, and only if I am eating some asian food such as ramen or whatever (which I don't eat often). I eat ramen much faster with chopsticks than I do with a fork or whatever, I don't use them to pretend I'm Japanese. Anyway... if I were to eat with chopsticks in public, most people wouldn't think much of it, since I already look asian to begin with.

ScrumYummy said:
Anyway, to answer the question at hand, watching foreign entertainment has certainly influenced me in one way or another, but I don't go out of my way to eat with chopsticks when a fork will do, or bow or kiss people on the cheeks, or offer them to sit and have a cup of tea when they enter my home, or insist that they take off their shoes at the door. Because none of these things are customary to where I currently live.

Yeah, that would just be weird. However, if I walk into someone elses house, I will take my shoes off at the door just to be polite so I don't drag dirt all over their carpets.
Aug 14, 2007 8:19 AM

Jul 2007
OtakuFreak said:
Another question has come to mind, since you aren't raised in a culture that is not yours then why adopt? Is there any true significance to why you are doing this?

I'm 1/4 Welsh and 3/4 German. I really like my German side, I chose to take German as my Foreign language credit because everyone else in my family knows how to speak it, all of them because they were stationed over there when in the Army or because of other job related activities. In my immediate family there's not a real strong connection to our German heritage other than beer. So I've become the inheritor of both my grandma's recipes. And since my Great Aunt recently passed away, I'm now in charge of our Genealogy and a mess ton of photo albums and papers that go along with that. I'm going to the Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland and spending some time in Germany, so that'll be my first real connection with anything related to my heritage. Germany and Wales have their qualifying match the day after my birthday, I don't really know who to cheer for as Germany's probably going to cream Wales.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 14, 2007 9:48 AM

Jun 2007
mmm there is nothing wrong with using chop sticks and eating jap food (its healthy after all). also adopting aspects of other cultures is a good thing (there'll always be things we could learn from each other).
erm for the "otaku": in all jdramas ive seen, they use "otaku" as some sorta synonym for loser, pervert or those ppl collecting robot figurines lol
Aug 14, 2007 12:11 PM

May 2007
Eating chopsticks since I was a small kid.
Well, I am Chinese after all, so no wonder.

Doesn't make you Japanese, though.
Aug 14, 2007 3:58 PM

Jan 2007
YourMessageHere said:
OtakuFreak, I for one would encourage you to make a clear distinction between enjoying anime and Japanese culture, and "wanting to be like the Japanese". The latter is pretty much an impossibility, and something only the naive would ascribe to. Yes, I like anime, and since I've been into it, inspired by things I've seen and read, I've found I like a lot of Japanese food, I like some Japanese music, I've been there on holiday twice and I chose my University course because anime made me realise what an interesting language Japanese was. In the future I'd like to teach English in Japan. However, I'm far from labouring under the illusion that I will ever 'become Japanese' or even understand Japanese culture to anything more than a barely adequate degree.

That's not to say you have to do any of those things. There's no more to being an anime fan than liking anime. Simple as that; it's not something that needs capital letters any more than being a football fan does.

True, there are some who, like TheWestExit mentioned, affect all the most superfluous kinds of 'things that anime fans do' as they see them like using "Kawaii" in place of cute, and so on, and seem to think they understand Japan. My impression is that these are the ones who won't necessarily stick with anime, it's more of a phase or fashion thing (although It's wholly possible I'm wrong, of course)

The more naive, idealistic fans as a group are prone to idolise Japan; also a mistake. No-one who is serious about Japan believes it is any kind of paradise. For all the superb anime and cosplay cafes and yummy sushi, there's some very bad things about Japan too: whaling, institutionalised sexism, the issue of the government trying to cover up or deny facets of WWII, endemic corruption...it's no elysium. Also, the Japanese may welcome gaijin as tourists but there's no way any foreigner will ever be thought of as Japanese by Japanese people in general.

As such it's pointless trying to 'become Japanese'; better by far to simply appreciate all that Japan can offer, and offer something of your own culture back.

Personally, the thing I like most about Japan in general is the way absolutely everything is at once somehow similar to and totally different from western ways of doing things, from fundamentals like the writing system, attitudes and social structure to little details like clothes and the kinds of things eaten as snacks and so on. The differences, the similarities, the ways Japan copes with and adapts to outside ideas and the way the rest of the world adapts to Japan I find endlessly interesting.

Like melon bread. Melon bread > *.bread

This by far is the most interesting out of all. You make many strong points and that's what I like. There are many things we can learn from other cultures. But is it Naive to ask why would people want to change aspects of their lives? It's like asking why do people want to swim even though the human body isn't made for aquatic life. What makes a person want to change their life style is what I want to know. Either people have a past that they want to change or if a person naturally decides that they should try something new. It's quiet amazing how the human mind can easily be influenced by their surroundings. Anime has had an amazing impact on many lives, I sometimes question how my life would be like if I never became a fan of Anime in the first place. Would I still be the same person? All I want to know is how does Anime and the Japanese culture influence other people's lives.

Aug 14, 2007 5:01 PM

Aug 2007
What makes a person want to change their lifestyle?

One thing that struck a chord with me quite early on in my life regarding Japan was the film Rising Sun. It's not the best film, but it does a fairly good job of contrasting Western and Japanese ways of doing things. In particular, there's a supposed Japanese saying in it that really struck me as extremely sensible and totally fresh: "Fix the problem, not the blame."

Whether or not this is really a Japanese saying I don't know, but it got me thinking that perhaps other countries might have better ways of thinking and doing things than mine. I look around at my country: a small and rich but chronically dithering nation, backing itself into a corner, unsure what to do and who to trust. The country has plenty of problems but spends all its time and effort chasing people to blame, as if that will fix its problems. When there's a disaster like a flood, everyone starts saying the government are to blame, the council are to blame, the builders are to blame, and the only people loud enough to hear are the insurance companies whining because now they have to actually pay out.

Then I look at Japan: in just 63 years, it's gone from the impoverished, atom-bombed loser of an immense war to the world's second biggest economy, and Japanese produce and culture only ever seems to get more prominent. When a disaster like an earthquake hits, everyone just gets on with it, there seems to be very little wringing of hands and pointing of fingers accusing this person of this and that one of that.

Maybe it's an effect of distance. Maybe Japan is just like the UK when a disaster hits and I just don't hear about it. All I can say is, Tokyo is the cleanest, nicest, quietest, most friendly city I have ever been in. The people are polite, there are no shouting yobs, the trains run on time, and you feel safe. Nowhere in the UK can boast any of these things; they are clearly doing something better than us.
Aug 14, 2007 5:34 PM

May 2007
Damn every post of yours is so long. No offense, though. <3 8D
Aug 14, 2007 6:33 PM

Aug 2007
ZoiQ said:
Damn every post of yours is so long. No offense, though. <3 8D

Told you =P

(Hey, a short post! Arrest him!)
Aug 15, 2007 4:18 PM

Jan 2007
The world is slowly changing every day. All kinds of cultures are becoming one. This is one sample of how the world is getting to understand each other. There is no doubt that the Japanese culture is changing people here in the US and so goes the same there. So in the end what kind of world will it be like when All Americans become more like the Japanese and the Japanese become more like the Americans? Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Aug 15, 2007 5:18 PM

Jun 2007
duno any americans apart from those here on the forum lol so cudnt care less if the americans are becoming more like japanese or any other nation.
Aug 15, 2007 6:40 PM

May 2007
Just don't turn into an american. 8D
Aug 17, 2007 1:24 PM
Jul 2007
ahhh!!! this forum made me want to use my helly kitty chopsticks (yes i kno, im a three yr old girl. i like pink and kitties...) but i was eating popcorn...lets just say that u get sum weird looks if ppl see u eating popcorn with chopsticks.
Aug 17, 2007 8:59 PM

Aug 2007
OtakuFreak said:
It's like asking why do people want to swim even though the human body isn't made for aquatic life.

Although it is a little off topic I feel the need to point this out.
If you throw a three month old baby in water, it WILL be able to swim. People are perfectly adapted for swimming, we just aren't built to live in water (Though if we needed to, it wouldn't take us very long to adapt to having to love in water) Swimming is a hobby, not someone trying to make a life in water.

I myself have always been offended by the idea of someone calling themselves an 'otaku' since it is a derogatory term in Japan... and it isn't just for anime fans, all overly zealous fans are otaku. My boyfriend has a t-shirt with 'OTAKU' stamped across it in English and Japanese and it always makes me wonder.

I'm comfortable with being an American anime fan, as for liking Japanese culture... I've always been fascinated with Asian cultures in general ever since I can remember. In school when we had to research other countries I always looked to Asia. I was using chopsticks before I was an anime fan and my mom raised me to eat ramen since it was cheap and she could just throw a bag of veggies in with it and my sister and I loved it.

I admit I have adopted a lot of aspects of Japanese culture, I like learning about it more than I like practicing any of it though. Yes, I like Japanese/Chinese/Korean food, I've sewn my own kimono and worn it around, I've drank sake and I have cups and bowls designed for ramen, tea, and sake. I own plastic chopsticks and eat with them when appropriate. My friends and I made our own mochi for last new year's eve. I like to shop at the local Japanese marketplace and try different snacks I've never heard of. I want to learn Japanese, I've tried to learn it but haven't taken any formal lessons yet. I listen to my fair share of J-rock. I've even done 'ganguro' style make-up before. But this has never made me believe it makes me more 'Asian' or Japanese. I enjoy these things about the culture but I don't do it ONLY because it is Japanese, I like to learn and try new things from all cultures, I want to learn German because that is mostly my heritage. I love all sorts of different foods from many different cultures.

I don't deny that anime has influenced my love of many aspects of Japanese culture... but this isn't just an American phenomenon. I know anime fans from around the world who practice the same things. Also, it's been mentioned a couple of times that many Asian countries see a trend in adopting customs from western cultures. Isn't it strange though how in Asian cultures they all know the names of English actors and singers... but we are lucky to find a HANDFUL of people in any given place who have heard of ANY foreign actors or signers who don't speak English? English speaking actors and singers get just as much publicity when they travel and have movie premiers or concerts... foreign films are only shown in indie art film theaters and if they hold a concert, having 1,000 people turn out is amazing if they aren't in an enormous city... I saw Dir En Grey when they toured with the Family Values tour last summer... it was amazing, but the few people who hadn't heard of them before that point and actually bothered to stick around after hearing they were a Japanese band, sat there and made FUN of them.

I think if anything, anime helps make us more tolerant and understanding of people... but it can also push people overboard when they get obsessed with the culture and start looking down on other fans because they don't try to be 'as Japanese' as they are. The people who get to that point are the ones that give us a bad reputation. I know people who are Asian and are closet anime fans just because of that fact, they are embarrassed because of the stigma and are too proud of the clique they are in to admit that they like anime.

I go to an art school... the anime club there is RIDICULOUS they are the type to look down on you for not cosplaying everyday and spouting as much random Japanese as you can. It gives us all a bad name.

Sorry if any of that is a little strange or just seems to be rambly... I am rather tired but also very opinionated -___-
Aug 17, 2007 10:28 PM

Aug 2007
I watch anime.
I read mangas.
I eat Ramen in a bowl, sometimes...
I eat Chow Meing with Chopsticks.
I listen to Jpop and Jrock.
I draw anime and manga style artworks.
I buy anime/games/artist artbooks.

But I'm not Otaku anyway. I know a friend of mine is very Otaku and huge CLAMP fan, I'm also a little of a CLAMP fan myself XD. But no I don't consider myself at all an Otaku, I just love to do those things.
Aug 17, 2007 10:29 PM

Oct 2006
I quite agree wholeheartedly - it's all well and good to appreciate other cultures, and to adopt things you like from them. The problem is when you adopt them solely to show off how cool you are, because it's really not cool at all.
Aug 18, 2007 11:43 AM

Mar 2007
I like oriental food and only use chopsticks for that.
Anime is a hobby, not a lifestyle.
If it's cheaper in the Asian Market than at Giant, get it (especially since it's closer to home than Giant).
I prefer Gangsta Rap over JPop while driving around in my Dodge.

I hope that clarifies my stance on "Otakuism." :)
Aug 18, 2007 1:26 PM

Jun 2007
I hate weeaboos. I don't conisder myself a weeaboo, I'm actually Japanese for real, well almost. I will be when I live in Japan though. Right now I'm studying japanese, japanese history and I'm following Bushido, the way of the warrior. This is why I hate weeaboos that know 5 words in japanese and use them all the time, kawaai baka DESU NE MOTHERFUCKER. I'm actually trying to become Japanese for real unlike all these faker wees. FUCK YOU WEEABOOS
So my question is, how good are my chances of becoming Japanese for real?
Aug 18, 2007 1:39 PM

Oct 2006
Nil.

Well, I suppose you could become a Japanese citizen eventually if you live there long enough - I'm not sure about their immigration laws. But you aren't going to become Japanese, so stop trying. And for the love of god, don't talk about how you're following Bushido. It's fine to adopt whatever teachings and ideas you like and find useful, but putting it the way you did just makes you sound hokey and lame. Studying Japanese history or trying to be a modern day samurai doesn't make you any cooler. You should stop worrying about being Japanese and start focusing on being yourself.
Aug 19, 2007 1:57 PM

Aug 2007
I feel slightly ashamed of all those people who go appropriating Japanese words and using them to describe themselves or things out of a Japanese context. Otaku is a perfect example; the sense in which it's used in the West is totally different to the Japanese context, as Ayaseyue says; if I find I'm using a word for completely the wrong thing, I stop using it, I don't nick it and make it mean something totally different in my language (you can argue your historical examples, but humankind knows a lot more about cultural sensitivity nowadays - or, at least, it really should by now). That's cultural imperialism running rampant; no wonder the Japanese are uneasy about foreigners. Hence, I am happy to describe myself as a dedicated anime enthusiast, but I'm NOT an otaku.

The "Kawaii!" brigade is the same. As if "cute" wasn't misused and generic enough, some feel they have to call things kawaii and baka (this sounds like it may be the same as the "weeaboos" Jorgzimmer describes; not a word I know). Speak Japanese, or speak English; decide! And as for behaving like there's some kind of 'us and them', you must be like X and Y or you're not a true fan situation...it's pathetic, and it gives anime enthusiasts in general a bad reputation.

+ what Krelian said.
Aug 19, 2007 6:46 PM

Jan 2007
Sometimes I feel like I'm kind of a "no-taku," because I can't/don't eat with chopsticks, am no more fascinated/obsessed with Japan than any other world culture (and significantly less so than some), and I love dubbed anime.

Whatev. I still have a good time.
Aug 19, 2007 7:45 PM

Oct 2006
hounddog said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm kind of a "no-taku,"

I love you =D
Aug 19, 2007 7:56 PM
Jun 2007
Blahhh...i hate the way people throw around the word "otaku" like its something to be proud of...i highly doubt we have ANY otakus here who have posted on this thread...an otaku by japanese standards are completely socially inept cannot funciton in the outside world due to their obsession with anime and manga. I dont think anyone here refuses to go outside EVER and cannot even attend school do to their "otakuness" Give me a break"
Is it possible to watch anime because it has a beautiful story wonderful animation and charatcer...not because its just from japan soo it has to be fantastic and absorbed into our systems ASAP???...lame people...very lame..

NOTE- This isnt really geared towards anyone on this thread im just stating my own personal opinion.

Trevor (OP)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.