Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2011 2:43 PM

Aug 2008
So my friend always carry a loaded gun on him for self protection. What are the charges he may face if he's caught or searched by police? Just curious since I want to tell him that he shouldn't be carrying it. Oh and he doesn't have rights or w/e to have a gun. He's 17 btw
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 13, 2011 2:46 PM

Sep 2011
i dont know the exact punishment but if hes caught hes in really serious trouble, hes breaking like 3 different laws all in one with this one

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 13, 2011 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
Ventro said:
So my friend always carry a loaded gun on him for self protection. What are the charges he may face if he's caught or searched by police? Just curious since I want to tell him that he shouldn't be carrying it. Oh and he doesn't have rights or w/e to have a gun. He's 17 btw

I'm more curious of the chances of him shooting his dick. Anyone wanna start a betting game?
MonadDec 13, 2011 5:17 PM
Dec 13, 2011 3:19 PM

Dec 2009
As long as he doesn't live in California or New York, he should be fine.
Dec 13, 2011 3:22 PM

Nov 2008
Retr0Master said:

or DC, handguns are banned there.

Dec 13, 2011 3:25 PM

Aug 2008
Retr0Master said:

He lives in New York D:
Dec 13, 2011 3:55 PM

Feb 2005
Monad said:
I'm more curious of the changes of him shooting his dick. Anyone wanna start a betting game?
This.
Does he know how to use it properly? Disregarding the law related trouble, carrying any sort of weapon is more harmful than not when you don't know how to handle it properly.
Dec 13, 2011 4:00 PM

Sep 2011
Well I got caught for having a loaded bbgun... but that is a different story. I just got warned and they told my parents... lol...

As for your situation, he is probably fked if he gets caught. I am pretty sure he would just get a warning depending on his approach and where he lives. xD
Dec 13, 2011 5:27 PM

Jul 2011
Ventro said:
Retr0Master said:

He lives in New York D:

It is extremely illegal in that state without a permit. New York is currently a may issue state and you must have a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

This.
Does he know how to use it properly? Disregarding the law related trouble, carrying any sort of weapon is more harmful than not when you don't know how to handle it properly.

This is quite true. At the age of 17 in the state of New York I highly doubt he has gotten much training in the use of firearms due to their restrictive firearms laws and the fact that he is underage.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Dec 13, 2011 6:11 PM

Jun 2009
Laws vary by state. Here in Ohio you need a concealed carry license to carry a concealed deadly weapon, but you don't need one to carry one unconcealed. The cops might give you some heckling for it if it's a gun or large enough knife, though.

Does he really feel so threatened that he needs to carry a loaded gun? I would advise your friend to carry a knife instead. It's much safer to carry, has uses beyond killing things, and will get him in so much less trouble with the law.

He at least got the thing legally and has it registered, right? If this is not the case, merely having it will get him in some major trouble.
Dec 13, 2011 6:47 PM

Feb 2009
Well New York gave Plaxico Burress 2 years for shooting himself in the thigh on accident so I'm sure they were trying to set some sort of example. Although I'm not sure how much was specifically attributed to firing or carrying the gun.
Dec 13, 2011 6:52 PM
Aug 2011
Depends where he lives or what he does.
Dec 14, 2011 12:14 AM
Oct 2011
What is your 17 year old friends chosen profession and or daily activities that he feels the need to be 'packing heat' at all times when it is most certainly illegal to do so in New York City? Maybe you should take a closer look at the people you choose to associate with before you become an accessory to something untoward.
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Dec 14, 2011 12:25 AM

May 2011
Dreamsphere said:
Depends where he lives or what he does.

This,in here its normal if you are with a "gang".
Dec 14, 2011 12:35 AM

Jul 2008
It's people like this that really anger me. Buffoons who have zero respect for the law like that really ruin it for the rest of us. People like myself who have legally acquired a firearms permit to carry concealed are losing their rights to the politicians because of this exact kind of behavior.

You shouldn't be asking us what the penalties are for doing what he is doing, you should be asking how to make him stop.
Baman said:
Disregarding the law related trouble, carrying any sort of weapon is more harmful than not when you don't know how to handle it properly.
A lot of the problem boils down to this as well. Your friend probably hasn't been educated in the least on gun safety and is most likely a danger to himself and those around him.
Dec 14, 2011 1:57 AM

Dec 2010
Tell him to carry a stiletto instead.
Dec 14, 2011 2:14 AM

Jul 2011
Being a minor I'm not sure how they would charge him, either with a class A misdemeanor which can carry up to 1 year in jail, or as a class C felony which can carry all the way up to 15 years. Plaxico Burress recieved the class C, although he made a deal which lowered his sentence to 2 years, but regardless of which he would get charged with, expect jail time, especially if he is caught do to the gun accidently being fired in public.....even if he shoots off his own dick =)

Dec 14, 2011 2:39 AM

Jul 2010
whats the deal with you americans and your weapons anyway? regardless of wether you carry them legally or not. you say you need them for "self-protection". why do you need to protect yourself? because there are people walking around with guns. you go buy a gun yourself. now someone else is frightened because YOU got a gun and goes buy one himself. and so it goes on and on until someone really starts shooting. how can you even live there peacefully? it just hurts to watch.
Dec 14, 2011 3:16 AM

Nov 2011
if most people can survive without weapons, i'm sure your little trigger fingered friend can too, and i have no idea about the charges.
Tea and bickies with the Bold and the Beautiful
Dec 14, 2011 3:24 AM

Apr 2007
shiroto said:
whats the deal with you americans and your weapons anyway? regardless of wether you carry them legally or not. you say you need them for "self-protection". why do you need to protect yourself? because there are people walking around with guns. you go buy a gun yourself. now someone else is frightened because YOU got a gun and goes buy one himself. and so it goes on and on until someone really starts shooting. how can you even live there peacefully?
Do you remember the Cold War doctrine of mutually assured destruction? Imagine that applied on a personal level in the form of a 300-million-person Mexican standoff and you're beginning to get the picture.

So when you hear our popular urban musicians say "I'm goin' to pop a cap, yo," that actually translates to "I subscribe to classical rational deterrence theory, yo."
Dec 14, 2011 3:44 AM

Jul 2010
Iri said:
shiroto said:
whats the deal with you americans and your weapons anyway? regardless of wether you carry them legally or not. you say you need them for "self-protection". why do you need to protect yourself? because there are people walking around with guns. you go buy a gun yourself. now someone else is frightened because YOU got a gun and goes buy one himself. and so it goes on and on until someone really starts shooting. how can you even live there peacefully?
Do you remember the Cold War doctrine of mutually assured destruction? Imagine that applied on a personal level in the form of a 300-million-person Mexican standoff and you're beginning to get the picture.

So when you hear our popular urban musicians say "I'm goin' to pop a cap, yo," that actually translates to "I subscribe to classical rational deterrence theory, yo."

You know what the german name for "mutually assured destruction" is? Balance of Terror. And its nothing less than this. Youre just terrorising each other...but that doctrine doesnt really apply, since there are people really killing each other. This discussion makes me kinda relieved that I live in good old middle europe xD
Dec 14, 2011 3:50 AM

Jul 2011
shiroto said:
Iri said:
shiroto said:

You know what the german name for "mutually assured destruction" is? Balance of Terror. And its nothing less than this. Youre just terrorising each other...but that doctrine doesnt really apply, since there are people really killing each other. This discussion makes me kinda relieved that I live in good old middle europe xD

Eh...I don't live in constant fear of being shot. In fact the odds of being shot in any given day are fairly low, taking the circumstances out of the equation. Sure the US has a high homocide rate, both with guns and without, but I don't see anyone cowering in fear where I live. It's just not a huge concern, not to say it isn't everywhere because some cities have large issues with gun related violence, but those cities are still the minority by far.

Dec 14, 2011 7:17 AM

Jan 2011
rekindledflame said:

Eh...I don't live in constant fear of being shot. In fact the odds of being shot in any given day are fairly low, taking the circumstances out of the equation. Sure the US has a high homocide rate, both with guns and without, but I don't see anyone cowering in fear where I live. It's just not a huge concern, not to say it isn't everywhere because some cities have large issues with gun related violence, but those cities are still the minority by far.

2 days ago 50 km away from where I live some douchebag used a rifle and a couple of grenades to kill 4 people and injuring a lot more in name of god knows what, shit like that never happens to us until it does, guns are forbidden here by the way.
Maybe those people would have been able to save themselves if they were carrying and had the state of mind to shoot the asshole we'll never know, but the if is there even if the chance was small at least they would have had a shot.
Dec 14, 2011 8:06 AM

Mar 2011
Guaranteed he will be behind bars no matter what excuses he may had
Dec 14, 2011 7:08 PM

Jun 2009
"An armed society, is a polite society."

That's the rationale behind widespread weapon carrying. If you're in a region where guns are banned, and you have obtained one, you can be 99% sure you are the only civilian around with a gun. Until the cops show up, you have complete and total power over everyone around you, and can run amok causing unrestrained chaos and death. If guns are legal, you can't make that assumption. The guy next to you could be armed. Or maybe that guy over there, or across the street. The old lady behind the counter could be packing. If you're planning something malicious, then everyone becomes an enforcer, making you think twice about going through with it.

At least, that's the theory, what goes through everyone's head here.
Dec 14, 2011 8:25 PM

Jun 2011
this is funny.. where i live you just dont have a gun. if you get caught with a gun, unloaded, at home, in a safe, you will be in serious trouble
Dec 14, 2011 9:22 PM

Jan 2011
>carries a loaded gun everywhere
>17 years old

> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Dec 14, 2011 9:25 PM

Aug 2008
AbstractCalamity said:
Until the cops show up, you have complete and total power over everyone around you, and can run amok causing unrestrained chaos and death.

So true. You can be calm all the time without worrying about someone trying to rob or hurt you.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Dec 14, 2011 10:28 PM

Jan 2011
Plun said:
AbstractCalamity said:
Until the cops show up, you have complete and total power over everyone around you, and can run amok causing unrestrained chaos and death.

So true. You can be calm all the time without worrying about someone trying to rob or hurt you.

You can be that without a gun too.
Are you afraid of small birds and stray cats as well? Because it's probably more likely one of those is going to hurt you... Slippery sidewalks too.

And if by some chance you are the one in 10 thousand people who do get robbed? Do you carry around large wads of cash? Unlikely. It'd be more along the lines of: "Here, have some spare change and a swatch watch, enjoy the $3 you're going to get for it."

If you're walking around with a gun, however... Well then. The robber will probably kill you.
If I was robbing someone, and that person drew a weapon, I know I would be more inclined to use mine. That's just logical.
Dec 15, 2011 12:42 AM

Jul 2010
AbstractCalamity said:

That's the rationale behind widespread weapon carrying. If you're in a region where guns are banned, and you have obtained one, you can be 99% sure you are the only civilian around with a gun. Until the cops show up, you have complete and total power over everyone around you, and can run amok causing unrestrained chaos and death. If guns are legal, you can't make that assumption. The guy next to you could be armed. Or maybe that guy over there, or across the street. The old lady behind the counter could be packing. If you're planning something malicious, then everyone becomes an enforcer, making you think twice about going through with it.

Then there should be no fucking way to obtain a gun in the first place. Here its almost impossible to get a gun unless you steal it from someone who legally got one (which will be pretty hard, cause it SHOULD be locked away safely). And if you tried to get your gun legally, they´ll surely see pretty soon that you´re not fit to posess a weapon; and the process takes years, btw. And what can I say...people here are polite too oO Still people kill each other, but it doesnt happen on a whim, because theres no way to kill people "just like that".
Dec 15, 2011 12:49 AM

Jul 2011
shiroto said:
AbstractCalamity said:

Then there should be no fucking way to obtain a gun in the first place. Here its almost impossible to get a gun unless you steal it from someone who legally got one (which will be pretty hard, cause it SHOULD be locked away safely). And if you tried to get your gun legally, they´ll surely see pretty soon that you´re not fit to posess a weapon; and the process takes years, btw. And what can I say...people here are polite too oO Still people kill each other, but it doesnt happen on a whim, because theres no way to kill people "just like that".

You seem to have some delusions about your country. While it's true gun crime in general is lower, that's not to say people don't kill on a whim. Tim Kretschmer is an example and it happened "just like that". Violent crime is everywhere, regardless of how many laws are set in place to prevent it.

Dec 15, 2011 1:02 AM

Jul 2010
rekindledflame said:
shiroto said:
AbstractCalamity said:

You seem to have some delusions about your country. While it's true gun crime in general is lower, that's not to say people don't kill on a whim. Tim Kretschmer is an example and it happened "just like that". Violent crime is everywhere, regardless of how many laws are set in place to prevent it.

Thats a totally different story. He stole the gun from his father (which wasnt locked aways as it should have been..) and went all the way to his school. On that way he must have thought several times "Am I really going to do that?" and he DECIDED everytime that hes going to. Even as he ran amok there where several opportunities to stop but he DECIDED not to. Its not like he was in school with his gun loaded and thought "Yeah, now I start shooting.", so it wasnt on a whim.
Dec 15, 2011 9:01 AM

May 2009
Is it a registered firearm ? Does he have a permit to own a gun ? According to NY gun laws, you need to be over 21 to be granted a permit to possess a handgun (though there's an exception - with conditions - for people between 18 and 21 who participate in target shooting competitions and stuff), so your friend has probably acquired it illegally. If that's the case, that alone would get him in serious trouble regardless of whether the gun he's carrying is loaded, the charges of unlawful possession of a firearm aren't to be taken lightly. Just owning an unregistered handgun is a criminal offense in NY and can result in a 1 year prison sentence or more and a fine.

Sources : NRA-ILA. Found this too : http://www.drum.army.mil/AboutFortDrum/Pages/LawsRegulations_lv2.aspx

I'm glad it's not easy to own a firearm where I live, and even when you manage to get a license, which is virtually impossible, you're only allowed to own shotguns. I might live in NY if I ever move to the US. :P
Dec 15, 2011 6:49 PM

Jun 2009
shiroto said:
AbstractCalamity said:

Much like what rekindeledflame said, you seem to have another misconception.

There are always ways to get guns off the books. Gun trafficking is big business, you just have to know the right person. It might not be easy for just anyone, but it doesn't have to be easy for everyone. It just has to be easy for someone.

To go off on a side point, it would be pretty great if we could all just put the guns down and relax. Unfortunately, at least in the US, we're past the point of no return. It's not feasible to ban guns now (even ignoring how guarded the 2nd Amendment is), as there are more guns in this country than there are people to shoot them. Any attempts to do so would simply disarm all of the law-abiding people who weren't going to use them maliciously, leaving all of the power in the wrong hands.
Dec 16, 2011 1:03 AM
Sep 2011
As much as I don't like the idea of everyone wandering the streets with a loaded weapon in tow, I do see Calamity's point.
Dec 16, 2011 3:30 AM

Jan 2011
AbstractCalamity said:
shiroto said:
AbstractCalamity said:

Much like what rekindeledflame said, you seem to have another misconception.

There are always ways to get guns off the books. Gun trafficking is big business, you just have to know the right person. It might not be easy for just anyone, but it doesn't have to be easy for everyone. It just has to be easy for someone.

To go off on a side point, it would be pretty great if we could all just put the guns down and relax. Unfortunately, at least in the US, we're past the point of no return. It's not feasible to ban guns now (even ignoring how guarded the 2nd Amendment is), as there are more guns in this country than there are people to shoot them. Any attempts to do so would simply disarm all of the law-abiding people who weren't going to use them maliciously, leaving all of the power in the wrong hands.

Criminals, in general. Even the violent ones. Are still people.
Worthless people, but people nonetheless.

They would rather NOT kill anyone, because A. People tend to avoid unnecessary murder.
And B. It creates a whole slew of new problems you don't need.

Police prioritize.
A break in has a lower priority than a burglary, which has a lower priority than a mugging, which has a lower priority than a robbery, etc. etc.
If a criminal is mugging someone, and they shoot them, suddenly they've gone from a fairly low priority crime, to one of the highest ones. Which means every police around will be gunning for them. Criminals don't want that, which is why they prefer to avoid killing. (Unless they're gangbangers, but that's a whole different kind of scum)

My point is: Criminals will only resort to lethal force if they have to.
Pulling a gun on them means they have to.
So even if the criminals have weapons, you're still a hundred times safer without one.

The notion that somehow if you were to disarm all the law-abiding citizens, the criminals would just take over and go around slaughtering people at random, is just ridiculous.
Dec 16, 2011 9:10 PM
Oct 2011
Monad said:
Ventro said:

I'm more curious of the chances of him shooting his dick. Anyone wanna start a betting game?

I am in 5 bucks.
Dec 17, 2011 6:47 AM

Sep 2011
Be grateful,bro...you can even touch a real gun, in my habitation,citizens must register their names when they buy a kitchen knife
Dec 17, 2011 7:05 AM

Dec 2011
Jeesus Christ, who would carry a loaded gun around!? I've already had enough of these school shootings and now the massacre in Norway...

It's not like my family doesn't have a locker full of rifles, shotguns (For hunting) and even one revolver, but to carry one around wherever you go? You need to be some sort of paranoid who suspects everyone wants to rape you.

You know, in the army everyone has a goddamn assault rifle, yet accidents rarely happen because the rules are so strict and the people who are mentally weak are discarded before they are even taken to service. I don't like the idea of all psychos carrying a gun around.
Dec 17, 2011 7:53 AM

Dec 2011
Venezuela's written law punishes the whole thought.... but reality is that, for 15 years old birthday present many boys get one
Dec 17, 2011 8:20 AM

Jan 2011
Vinter said:

Criminals, in general. Even the violent ones. Are still people.
Worthless people, but people nonetheless.

They would rather NOT kill anyone, because A. People tend to avoid unnecessary murder.
And B. It creates a whole slew of new problems you don't need.

While that's possibly a general statistically true psychological effect of humans being a social species, I'd go back to the MAD.

In short, one crazy person is adequate. Statistically speaking, this will occur. Luckily the statistics for countries are that there are only a few countries so, um, statistics wouldn't be helpful.

Vinter said:
Police prioritize.
A break in has a lower priority than a burglary, which has a lower priority than a mugging, which has a lower priority than a robbery, etc. etc.
If a criminal is mugging someone, and they shoot them, suddenly they've gone from a fairly low priority crime, to one of the highest ones. Which means every police around will be gunning for them. Criminals don't want that, which is why they prefer to avoid killing. (Unless they're gangbangers, but that's a whole different kind of scum)

It's kinda pointless to mug someone and shoot them. While humans are irrational, one should not be considering rational->irrational links/actions.

Vinter said:
My point is: Criminals will only resort to lethal force if they have to.
Pulling a gun on them means they have to.
So even if the criminals have weapons, you're still a hundred times safer without one.

Replace 'Criminals' with 'Many many people who steal, many people who just kill' and the situation is clearer: no, you're not safer without a gun.

Vinter said:
The notion that somehow if you were to disarm all the law-abiding citizens, the criminals would just take over and go around slaughtering people at random, is just ridiculous.
It's ridiculous to think the criminals would be a huge syndicate, unless they're the mafia or something. Even so, some armed force of this size already suggests a different problem.

In any case, the statistics dictate that 'someone' is going to have a gun. This is because a population is large enough for this 'someone' to exist, no matter the probability(at this point, certainly we're sure that there is no probability of this possibility) or how low it is.

A gun in every home, peace on every street.
(Then again, this is probably too far. But anyway, if 'you' do have a gun when 'someone' has a gun, you're probably safer.)

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.