Forum Settings
Forums

Is a 6.9 mean score for anime scores too harsh?

New
Dec 10, 2011 10:34 PM

Sep 2011
honestly i was kinda surprised to see that my score was below a 7.0(even only by one point)

i feel like i maybe went a little too critical on some shows or something, is a 6.9 to low?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2011 10:36 PM
Jul 2018
Not really. I have less than that and my standards are pretty low compared to many. A lot of anime just sucks.
Dec 10, 2011 10:38 PM

Sep 2011
6.9. Heh. I'm immature. :(

It's a close to average score. A 6 on here is. "Fine" so I guess so. There's some people who's mean scores are lower. Rate anime on how you want it to be. If a lot of it is bad, don't rate it up just to improve your mean score.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Dec 10, 2011 10:38 PM

Sep 2010
Well as long as its not 5 or below its not that bad, but yes it is a bit harsh.

Mine is 7.7.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 10, 2011 10:40 PM

Sep 2011
jpem said:
Not really. I have less than that and my standards are pretty low compared to many. A lot of anime just sucks.
well you have seen alot more than me thats the thing....like ALOT more

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 10, 2011 10:40 PM

Jun 2011
Under 5.5 is what I consider too low. 6.04 for me.
Dec 10, 2011 10:42 PM

Sep 2011
Roloko said:
Well as long as its not 5 or below its not that bad, but yes it is a bit harsh.

Mine is 7.7.
oh god does anyone actually have a 5 or below score? i remember on my old account like form last year there was this one guy who saw like 3 thousand anime and has a 5.8 or something and said that if you have anything more than a 6 than your to generous, dont worry i obviously know that guy was full of shit but thats the lowest ive seen it go

also my score would be ALOT lower if i actually used the 1 and 2's rating but i always felt like no show is that bad, i never go lower than 3, just a little pet peeve of mine

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2011 10:46 PM

Sep 2011
oh god does anyone actually have a 5 or below score? i remember on my old account like form last year there was this one guy who saw like 3 thousand anime and has a 5.8 or something and said that if you have anything more than a 6 than your to generous, dont worry i obviously know that guy was full of shit but thats the lowest ive seen it go

I HATE people who do that. They see like a shitload of anime and give 2/3 of it a rating of 4-1. Honestly, it's obvious that you don't enjoy anime, so why bother watching so much of it?

Yeah the quote thing didn't work. Thanks iPod.
Dont touch me I'm in despair.

May 2009
Sounds harsh right off the bat, but really it's not when you think about it. My mean score is a 7.0 and sometimes I consider my ratings a tiny bit generous.

I think a 5.5 or below is too harsh but than anything above... let's say a 7.5 (or 8.0) is too generous, in my opinion at least.

If you give everything a high rating than it takes away from the titles that really deserve being called very good, great, and/or masterpieces.
SunflowerDaishoDec 10, 2011 10:50 PM

Sep 2011
Having a mean score of 6-7 means you actually take the time to see what is actually good, and what is not in my opinion. A true rater doesn't just throw out 10s like no tomorrow, so to answer your question, no your mean score is fairly good. (mine is 6.6 if I recall)
Dec 10, 2011 10:53 PM

Aug 2008
Mines 5.7, but the main reason I use lower ratings is to spread my list out more.
Dec 10, 2011 10:56 PM

Jul 2011
Honestly it depends on if you're scoring by the MAL system Average, Fine, Good etc. or if you view each number as being a percentile rank (8 = anything above or equal to 75% to under 85%, 9 = equal to 85% and under 95% etc). I used to do this but I decided that I'm slowly going to switch to the MAL system so I can have a more accurate score compared to other people on the forums. My current score 7.7 equals a 77% average on my list which is a C+ so all the anime I've watched averages to around okay.
armegDec 10, 2011 11:00 PM
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Dec 10, 2011 11:01 PM

Sep 2011
it's fine as long as you rate things the way you want to. the mean score for my completed list is 6.8, if that makes you feel any better. my score deviation is -1.10, so yeah I guess it is a little low.

but it all goes back to you rating things the way you want to.

Dec 10, 2011 11:15 PM

Sep 2011
OriginANIME said:
Having a mean score of 6-7 means you actually take the time to see what is actually good, and what is not in my opinion. A true rater doesn't just throw out 10s like no tomorrow, so to answer your question, no your mean score is fairly good. (mine is 6.6 if I recall)
the funny thing is, i actually have given out alot of 10's, i think i gave about 13 shows 10's, but i honestly cant think of giving them a score any lower, ive thought it over multiple times but i always come back to a 10

and yet i somehow get a 6.9 average......ok this is questionable

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2011 11:24 PM

Mar 2011
My mean score is 7.4 as I tend to be quite generous with my ratings. MAL's rating system actually seems pretty close to mine albeit with some minor differences here and there. To me it just seems right; alot of the anime I've watched hang out in the 7~6 range since I like quite a bit of what I see. Giving School Rumble a decent score doesn't detract from the masterpiece that is LOGH. Similarly, I haven't yet given an anime a score lower than 3. I can't say if I haven't seen anything that bad yet, but my heart sinks if I have to rate something that low.

A 6.9 average is not particularly harsh as long as you have a varied assortment of 10s, 9s, 8s that struck a cord with you. You can post another thread once you hit below 5.0 though, since that would be considered low!
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Dec 10, 2011 11:29 PM

Feb 2010
nah , 6.9 isnt low , its fine. (mine is too 6.9 on completed)
Dec 10, 2011 11:32 PM

Sep 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
OriginANIME said:
the funny thing is, i actually have given out alot of 10's, i think i gave about 13 shows 10's, but i honestly cant think of giving them a score any lower, ive thought it over multiple times but i always come back to a 10

and yet i somehow get a 6.9 average......ok this is questionable

13 isn't too bad if you watched several different Animes in your life. I used to throw out 10s to Animes I thought were AMAZIIINNGG but then I look at what MAL considers a 10. (a masterpiece?) I thought _____ Anime was really REALLY good so I gave it a 10 but then I think about it for a second. Is it really a masterpiece? I feel a masterpiece isn't something you come by everyday. A masterpiece isn't just something you thought was amazing, it is something that was done picture perfect. (and have a lot of meaning) For an example: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - It built up so many different relations and connections between certain characters and then at the end it made you really think about it. (I can't say much more or I would spoil it) That is an Anime I would call a "masterpiece" but I didn't give it a 10. I don't hate on people who do give it a 10 though because I see why they would rate it that. Overall I just gave that _____ Anime I thought was a 10 a 9 because it just wasn't THAT deep.

EDIT: Also I am not saying you cannot give out several 10s but giving easy ratings isn't good either. Not every Anime is good, and not every Anime is bad. You will always come by good and bad ones so your ratings cannot always be so high. That is why when I see people with 8-9 mean scores it baffles me. You watched almost 100 Animes and I can see you came by several you hated, and loved so having a 6.9 mean score seems about right for you! :)
funkotakuDec 10, 2011 11:38 PM
Dec 10, 2011 11:32 PM

Aug 2010
Well I have a mean score of 7.2, and I think I'm a pretty fair for my ratings. I usually don't give a score lower then 5, because seriously I don't see how you can give a show lower then that after finishing it.
Dec 10, 2011 11:33 PM

Oct 2008
6.9 is good. Mine is that as well. It means that you enjoy most things you watch.
Dec 10, 2011 11:47 PM

Sep 2011
No. Mine is 7.0 and I'm all too aware I overrate most stuff.
Dec 10, 2011 11:54 PM
Jun 2011
Mines at a 7.9. I feel like it is high, but most of the stuff I watch I tend to love. Then again, I've only watched like 58 total anime shows and movies. Give or take 20 or so that I can't remember watching or just am too lazy to add on, and mine might be closer to a 7.5.
Dec 10, 2011 11:57 PM

Dec 2010
Not a clue where I'd check my score ratio. Someone, enlighten me.
Dec 11, 2011 12:00 AM

Jun 2011
Otsdarva said:

On the bottom of each section of your list.
Or this: http://oko.im/mal/
Dec 11, 2011 12:35 AM

Sep 2010
llamaben said:
Mines 5.7, but the main reason I use lower ratings is to spread my list out more.

Which means your goal is to average a 5 and have every score used evenly. A goal that is very independent of anime but hey it's just MAL fuck up the average for whatever reason you like.

Dec 11, 2011 1:06 AM

Sep 2011
I try to keep my mean rating as close to 5 as possible, but I also treat my list as 'all the anime ever released,' in a way. That is, I try to rate all of my series compared to other stuff that I've watched, where the 4 to 6 lump is 'average.' We're all less inclined to watch (and finish) bad series, though, so it's not uncommon for most averages to be rather high. Personally though, I adjust scores from time to time. Sometimes the 'average' shifts.
Dec 11, 2011 1:35 AM
Mar 2010
7.3 here. 7 is kinda my standart rating for average/good-ish so I'm fine with that.
If 6.9 was too harsh, you'd have to rate pretty much everything 8 or 9 which is pretty pointless if you ask me. Simply because not everything is that good (If you leave aside, that you enjoyed it)
Dec 11, 2011 1:42 AM

Jun 2009
Mine is 8.3, I think i might be giving the anime too good of a rating,but fuck what can i say i love a lot of anime.
Dec 11, 2011 1:44 AM
Oct 2009
6.9 is totally fine IMO. 5 or less might be weird because... well I just don't think it's a good use of your time to finish enough bad anime to cause such an average haha.
Dec 11, 2011 2:15 AM

Sep 2011
suterujesu said:
6.9 is totally fine IMO. 5 or less might be weird because... well I just don't think it's a good use of your time to finish enough bad anime to cause such an average haha.

So true, like why continue watching Anime if you don't even like it that much!? I am always in shock when I see people with 4-5 mean scores. (8-9 as well but hey, if you love Anime that much it is your choice!) :D
Dec 11, 2011 2:51 AM

Mar 2009
IllegalCyrus said:
Otsdarva said:

My turn to be an ignorant Luddite. Where/how do you get the graph?
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Dec 11, 2011 2:53 AM

Jun 2009
lisnoire said:
IllegalCyrus said:
Otsdarva said:

just type in your user name ^^

My average is 6.63. I can live with that. The overwhelming majority of my shows has a 7, which is my standard for "yeah I quite liked it, it was entertaining enough to not bore me".
Dec 11, 2011 2:55 AM

Aug 2011
lisnoire said:

Go to the link Cyrus sent. Below the graph it says "view your graph". Type your username there. This appears.
At the right of your name it says "get BBCode". Click there. Copy + paste on profile.

Was that what you were asking for?
Dec 11, 2011 2:57 AM

Mar 2009
grandy_UiD said:
lisnoire said:
IllegalCyrus said:
Otsdarva said:

just type in your user name ^^

My average is 6.63. I can live with that. The overwhelming majority of my shows has a 7, which is my standard for "yeah I quite liked it, it was entertaining enough to not bore me".
Saw that right after I posted. Still, without the address you supplied, where on the site does one find the graph?

Also, I think I skew a little higher because, over time, I have developed a pretty good idea of what I want to watch before I start it.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Dec 11, 2011 3:12 AM

Aug 2010
rated anime: 404; mean score: 6.02
(1.14 lower than global average)

meh.
Dec 11, 2011 3:13 AM

May 2011
Mine is 5.21 to anime and 5.55 to manga.

5/10 is average rating so 6.9 is nowhere near too harsh.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Dec 11, 2011 3:39 AM

May 2010
Mine's 6.1 and I don't consider that harsh, so I'd hardly say it for a 6.9

It really depends on how you feel about the anime you've watched. If the majority of them are bad in your opinion, a score closer to or below 5 are expected. Then again, if the majority of the anime you've watched were bad, I'd have to wonder why you're still watching anime...
Dec 11, 2011 4:24 AM

Sep 2011
lisnoire said:

Saw that right after I posted. Still, without the address you supplied, where on the site does one find the graph?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=331825
Dec 11, 2011 4:46 AM

Sep 2010
OriginANIME said:
suterujesu said:

So true, like why continue watching Anime if you don't even like it that much!? I am always in shock when I see people with 4-5 mean scores. (8-9 as well but hey, if you love Anime that much it is your choice!) :D

Does a 4-5 mean score mean that person hates anime?
Also it isn't a matter of continuing to watch a "bad" anime, I don't know why this is getting assumed. Even if they drop a series it still gets counted towards their mean if they scored it.

Dec 11, 2011 5:12 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Anime_Name said:

Not necessarily. I've seen people who tend to rate really low and still enjoy it. It's all about how you interpret the numbers for yourself. Some people consider a rating of 7 bad, others only at 4 or below.
In general I think it's better to be a little more critical instead of giving out high scores for everything.
Also it isn't a matter of continuing to watch a "bad" anime, I don't know why this is getting assumed. Even if they drop a series it still gets counted towards their mean if they scored it.

I agree. The mean score is often lower because of the dropped series.
Dec 11, 2011 5:22 AM

May 2011
OriginANIME said:

No, you are wrong. It's exactly opposite from loving if the mean score is something like over 7.5. How I see it is that those people don't love anime enough to see quality differences and what exactly makes a good anime.

No, not loving, nowhere near that.

Luna_ said:
Anime_Name said:

Not necessarily. I've seen people who tend to rate really low and still enjoy it. It's all about how you interpret the numbers for yourself. Some people consider a rating of 7 bad, others only at 4 or below.
In general I think it's better to be a little more critical instead of giving out high scores for everything.

I agree. The mean score is often lower because of the dropped series.

Your post be good, approved.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Dec 11, 2011 5:34 AM
Jul 2011
To me, yea I suppose. I am pretty generous when it comes it scoring anime. A score of 6 to me means that it's one of those anime that I watch, get it over with and not mull over the ending or really liked the characters. It's still good though, but in the end, I won't be talking about it, or having posters of the characters on my wall.

7 is also something like that, but I liked it much more. However, I still wouldn't be thinking about it after it ends, or mulling over it. I still wouldn't buy posters of it's characters, but I'd put them up anyway if I got one for free.

An 8-9 higher means I would be mulling and thinking about it's ending and talk about it occasionally.

A 10 would mean that when it ends, I'll be crying in the corner and wailing about the fact that it's over.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Dec 11, 2011 5:40 AM

Oct 2009
No, my mean score is 6.1 for my completed list. I rated what I thought they deserved for my enjoyment, so I don't see them as harsh, not at all.
Dec 11, 2011 5:44 AM
Feb 2011
remember mine was ~5.4, I think it was too big
Dec 11, 2011 5:50 AM

Mar 2010
I'm sitting on a 5.9 average, so of course I'm gonna go with 'no'. ;) I'd say that a 6.9 is very generous. People don't seem to treat a bad anime how it deserves. </3
Dec 11, 2011 6:09 AM

Feb 2005
5.6 here. Of course, I make a point of actually trying to use the scoring system properly, unlike a lot of users, which means 5 is the average. So 5.6 is nowhere too harsh, and certainly not 6.9.

After all, if you have a penchant for being critical, the more you watch, the more average your score would become.
Of course, it would be different if I only watched the series I thought seemed really good, since my gut feeling is usually correct, but as it is, I frequently watch generic looking series just for cheap entertainment.
Dec 11, 2011 6:11 AM

Nov 2009
I think mine is 7.1 but I've never thought I'm too generous with my scores.
Dec 11, 2011 6:57 AM

Aug 2011
Well it all depends on how much you have watched so far. It's kind of obvious, that if you've watched 7 shows, it is entirely possible to have a mean score of 10. Only if you have watched all the masterpieces. But the more you watch, the more shit you will watch and that is not necessarily a bad thing. You will never value true beauty, if you haven't seen the shitty ones.
There is a lot of crap out there and that's fine, not everything can be good, in fact, it's the other way around. The real good stuff is scarce.

I would think your average score only becomes kind of important as a measurement, if you're one of those who have gone beyond 1000 anime watched. Anything before that is useless, because your knowledge is only a fraction of the overall available shows.
Dec 11, 2011 9:53 AM

Jul 2009
No, your list is fine - it all depends on what you're watching. ;)

Mine is an 8, yet to be fair, I stick to my interests and watch stuff that appear really good, so I'm not dissapointed too often.
I have watched a lot of mediocre stuff - when it becomes tedious, I'll drop before it gets worst (if it gets better, my loss).

5/6 = mediocre; this is actually a fair score and statement and is what I'd rate most stuff on the TV where I live.

Dec 11, 2011 9:57 AM

Sep 2011
Queen_Stars said:
No, your list is fine - it all depends on what you're watching. ;)

Mine is an 8, yet to be fair, I stick to my interests and watch stuff that appear really good, so I'm not dissapointed too often.
I have watched a lot of mediocre stuff - when it becomes tedious, I'll drop before it gets worst (if it gets better, my loss).

5/6 = mediocre; this is actually a fair score and statement and is what I'd rate most stuff on the TV where I live.
yah i consider 5/10 ok but not bad but not good,
6/10 is good but has lot of things holding it back, and
7/10 is good with not to much wrong with it
8/10 is very good and has borderlinge nothing wrong with it but still has something wront holding it back
9/10 all around great but doesnt do that extra little thing to get a 10
3 and 4 which is as low as i go i think are bad and awful in every way, but if i finished the show then i obviously didnt think it was a 1 or a 2 and i dont think its posble for a show to have that little enjoyment, to me there is always something a show does right

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 11, 2011 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
Opinion is subjective so everyone's average will be different based on how they compare each anime. At the moment mine is rather high but I only choose anime I believe have potential ( Or im easy to satisfy)
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 7 hours ago

32 by _FRB_ »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

19 by mizukasa »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

17 by RaymondAnime »»
8 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

43 by KittenCuddler »»
11 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

39 by AverageRiceFan »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.