Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 7, 2008 9:37 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
AMAZING ENDING. God I love this show, should of been longer.

Aug 7, 2008 10:06 PM

Feb 2007
I HATE YOU SO MUCH NETFORCE.

edit: Great end. 10/10, on favourites list.

Though on another note, I need to rewatch the series.
SY_IS_DEAD_IRLAug 7, 2008 10:17 PM
Aug 7, 2008 10:29 PM

Dec 2007
I loved everything about this show. The ending was outstanding as well. That wasn't how I thought it was going to end at all...
Aug 7, 2008 10:50 PM

Apr 2007
great ending, loved the last scene
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Aug 7, 2008 11:08 PM

Jan 2008
OMGOMGOMG Lol i am downloading the episode right now, I was going to go to bed since it's 2am here but screw sleep I HAVE to watch this now.

Aug 8, 2008 12:52 AM
Sep 2007
Ah, so everyone came back to life? Anyway, nice happy ending, mostly thanks to Neiro's efforts. Though I didn't expect mecha action in this show.
freedo-Sep 18, 2008 8:13 PM
Aug 8, 2008 2:24 AM

Jul 2007
I really didn't expect this anime to be so great. Even the last ep was great, in fact it was actually a bit better than the rest of the series. The gundam was a nice touch too, and so was the Evangelion-ish ending XD

Though I have to say that the thing with Neiro's memories going back to the guy with glasses was a bit lame.
UuchieAug 8, 2008 2:30 AM
Aug 8, 2008 2:36 AM

Mar 2007
Excellent way to end the show, I've been very fond of the animation through out the whole series. At first glance it really looked like this would be a rather boring show, but it turned out to be the opposite.
Very good anime, wonderful music, good voice actors, great story. I've liked every aspect of this anime, thus it's getting a 9/10.
Aug 8, 2008 9:46 AM

Feb 2008
hmm the last ep kinda lost me a bit but it was pretty good.
Aug 8, 2008 10:12 AM

Feb 2008
This last episode was rather confusing, but it was still great!

Overall, I simply loved this series! Definitely gets a 10/10, and it's going to my Top 10 ^^
Aug 8, 2008 11:24 AM

May 2008
Epic ending, best show of the year IMO. Also best OST of the year by far

Story - 8
Animation/Art - 9
OST - 10
Character - 8
Enjoyment - 10
Overall - 9

If you enjoyed this go check out Yuasa's other work: see Mind Game and Kemonozume
Aug 8, 2008 11:59 AM

Feb 2008
10/10 from me. The only thing this Anime is guilty of is being sinfully short. It could of easily had 12 more planet exploring episodes, IMO. I wanted to see more of Kaiba's delightfully creative world.

freedoleen said:
ah, so everyone came back to life?

They were never dead in the first place, their memories were just destroyed.
ForlornHopeAug 8, 2008 12:19 PM
Aug 8, 2008 12:34 PM
Apr 2008
B.E.S.T Series E.V.E.R.

I'll probably say that one or two times in my life... (I wish more! :P)

This is the first anime to give me chills at each episode and to make me cry so often... There aren't enough words to describe it... It is not only perfect on the surreal/creative/artistic side, but it is also filled with SO MUCH emotions! Not so many animes are able to blend emotions with surrealism; Mind Game being probably the best example after Kaiba...

I hope Masaaki Yuasa will make other masterpieces like Kaiba, Mind Game, Kemonozume, Cat Soup, Noiseman Sound Insect (animation part) and The Happy Machine (From Genius Party)... All in my top 20 or even top 10...

Now, I need the OST and a nice Kaiba wallpaper! :P
Aug 8, 2008 1:32 PM

Feb 2008
Overall: 9
Story: 8 - Very good story although they tried to make the ending a little too complex imo. I think we saw like 4 different warps in the last two episodes? (not counting the ones in the sacs) And some things were left rather vague.
Animation: 9 - I enjoyed this aspect a lot. I know it's a simplistic style and all but it seems that there is a lot of beauty and originality in it's simplicity. (if that makes any sense)
Music: 10 - Maybe the best OST of the season.
Characters: 10 - I loved the characters and how this show developed them slowly. And they used flashbacks very well - not overdone.
Enjoyment: 9
TrojunAug 8, 2008 1:36 PM
Aug 8, 2008 1:47 PM

Feb 2007
xaemar said:
....Cat Soup...

I feel that fell a bit short. It wasn't horrible, but I was expecting a lot more.
Aug 8, 2008 1:52 PM
Dec 2007
You've already said everything, this show was close to perfection and probably the best work by Masaaki Yuasa so far, though Mind Game is definitely a cult movie and even more experimental than Kaiba. I hope this great director is recognized for his works some time soon.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 8, 2008 2:38 PM

Jan 2008
This show was steadily heading its way towards a score of 10 from me, but once that airplane security guard dude died, the show suddenly changed direction and sadly headed into mediocrity, and ultimately the mind-numblingly boring and empty finale that is episode 12.

One tiresome action scene after another; all plotlines wrapped up so simply without any depth or complexity like we've seen previously in this show. Its like the writer just couldnt give a shit anymore and picked up the Holy Book of Cliches for guidance. I guess I should thank the book for letting him know that we ran out of patience with Popo some time ago and he should ditch him already, but unfortunately being that the book is the Holy Book of Cliches, it could only tell him so much.

The first half of this show was 9 worthy, just brilliant in so many ways. The second half is worth a 7, completely predictable and thus boring as hell. So I'll give it an 8 and walk away.

*walks away with a raincloud above him*
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 8, 2008 5:24 PM
Jun 2007
Wow. That was awesome. The first time you watch it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But after the second time everything really starts to come together and be understandable. Only thing I still don't get is when Neiro says "those are your memories you stored away after pushing back the plant." I assume the plant is the kaiba, but when did Kaiba defeat the plant? And why store his memories? So I was confused about that. But everything else was perfect 10/10. My new favorite anime.

Aug 9, 2008 4:52 AM

Oct 2007
Could the hear the amount of people who loved the musical score for this series. Just a shame the soundtrack that came with the first DVD doesn't feature all the BGM tracks from the series.
Aug 9, 2008 8:30 AM

Jan 2008
Shiroth said:
Could the hear the amount of people who loved the musical score for this series. Just a shame the soundtrack that came with the first DVD doesn't feature all the BGM tracks from the series.

Are you sure? I've listened to the soundtrack and I think all of the music in the show is on it. Track 2, my favourite, is the one thats used regularly during those emotional moments and climaxes. Dont expect another soundtrack, it was only 12 episodes long afterall.

My favourite soundtrack of 2008 so far.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 9, 2008 12:26 PM

Apr 2008
Well there was certainly some serious trippy finale syndrome going there! After going off camping with rest of the family for the week I come back and find the finale two episodes of this out, WOOPEE! Anyway I thought those last two episodes were excellent, though I not sure if this should qualify as a Gainax ending or not.
Aug 9, 2008 1:15 PM

Apr 2007
For me, this is one of those shows that is best assessed in retrospect one or two or ten years down the road, lest my judgment is clouded somewhat by the tendency to be overenthusiastic or hyperbolic one way or another in reviewing something just seen.

As it stands, however, this was the most significant work of animation I've seen in ten years. It is an absolute vision; a Hieronymus Bosch painting brought to life with an amazing mix of the heavenly and hellish. But yet, underneath it all, was a simple love story that ended just how I wanted it to.

10/10
Aug 9, 2008 9:51 PM
Oct 2007
Wow!

Pretty great ending- I think they needed more episodes to explain it though- so I'm giving this a 9/10.
Aug 10, 2008 1:19 PM

May 2008
Kaiba was so close to being the first TV series under 20+ episodes that I gave a 10/10 to, but it fell short at the last minute. While I liked the ending from an art, direction, and animation standpoint the content just felt really bland and not at all like what I would expect from Kaiba. Much like the ending of Kemonozume it was as though they didn't really have any idea where to go after building everything up and instead just went crazy since that's apparently the expected anime ending. Actually I'm noticing more and more that there are very few anime series that can manage to pull off a great ending, which is a shame since that's a really important thing to do.

Now, I'm not going to get all down on Kaiba just because of this, as I still think it's the best anime this year easily (at least until Tytania if it's as good as I hope). It actually had likeable characters, a very good soundtrack, great animation and directing, and even if the story did start jumping into generic territory toward the end it was still enjoyable in the way it was told. I just find it to be a shame that it couldn't manage to stay as intriguing and great near the end as it was the rest of the series. 9/10
Aug 10, 2008 2:22 PM

Oct 2007
Pretty good ending I suppose.The music was probably the best part of this series. Gets a solid 9/10 from me.

Aug 14, 2008 7:54 PM

Jan 2008
Simply Incredible! Ever since I saw the first episode I knew I was watching something different from anything else. It truly was amazing, 10/10
Aug 15, 2008 2:25 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Amazing series indeed. Time to get the OST. 9/10

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Aug 21, 2008 5:13 PM

Nov 2007
someone explain the ending to me in this ep, I didnt really get it D:
Aug 22, 2008 5:16 AM

Feb 2007
Mac109 said:

What do you mean? The last scene or the episode in general?

Anyway, while Episode 11 had some bad scenes, this last episode definitely made up for it. While I agree with Cihan that the second half of this series was definitely not as awesome as the first half, the brilliant animation, a masterpiece of an OST, plus a setting that is a billion times more imaginative than all my other anime favs put together, it was able to make the second half of the story a fun rollercoaster ride anyway. I'm just glad he gave the anime a 8. I expected lower. If this was a normal setting, then I would have probably not have enjoyed the second half of this show.

I've decided not to give Kaiba a score just yet. It's hanging inbetween a 9 and 10, but I will be rewatching this show many times as I am trying to show it to a couple of my friends. Hopefully I can finally decide when the time comes what this anime truly deserves. Heh, and I thought Kaiji was a hard anime to score. x_x

Edit: Given Kaiba a 9. And yet I would probably rate this above Shion no Ou, my fifth fav anime (10 score), in terms of pretty much everything except for plot pacing, which it was brilliant at.
BlueYoshiSep 9, 2008 12:08 AM
Aug 22, 2008 9:16 AM

Dec 2007
Very good end for an astonishing anime!

Story - 9
Animation/Art - 9
OST - 9
Character - 8
Enjoyment - 10
Overall - 10
This is my own Claymore Website :
www.claymore-world.com
Enjoy and Leave comments!
Aug 23, 2008 11:43 PM

Nov 2007
BlueYoshi said:
Mac109 said:

What do you mean? The last scene or the episode in general?

like the last 2 minutes
Aug 25, 2008 1:25 PM

Feb 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
Kaiba was so close to being the first TV series under 20+ episodes that I gave a 10/10 to, but it fell short at the last minute. While I liked the ending from an art, direction, and animation standpoint the content just felt really bland and not at all like what I would expect from Kaiba. Much like the ending of Kemonozume it was as though they didn't really have any idea where to go after building everything up and instead just went crazy since that's apparently the expected anime ending. Actually I'm noticing more and more that there are very few anime series that can manage to pull off a great ending, which is a shame since that's a really important thing to do.

The same thoughts went through my mind after watching the last episode.
I give it 8/10. Still a great piece of work! ^^
Aug 25, 2008 8:46 PM

Oct 2007
This show was SO good. I loved every episode from 3-11, and i was almost going to give the show a 10 until episode 12. the first half was good, but it just got really confusing and "wtf" after that. i dunno. 9/10 from me.
Aug 31, 2008 10:49 PM

Nov 2007
great ending, if not for tat the series would have fell flat. i love the different planets they showed during the travling parts. but i didn't like how the characters' faces didn't show the amazing expressions japanimaters are capable of doing. i still loved the story, it's just a amzing plot. it'd make a great novel.
Sep 24, 2008 2:05 PM

Nov 2007
I was disappointed by the latter half. Just like Kemonozume, the series started out great but lost momentum and became somewhat boring in the end. Oh well, it was a nice series anyway, so I'll give it a weak 8. Could've been so much more though. :(
Sep 27, 2008 8:37 AM
Aug 2008
Mac109 said:

Sep 30, 2008 10:18 PM

May 2008
Great show. Does a lot of (new) things, executed rather nicely. Definitely several steps up from Kemonozume. There is nothing that even comes close to it so far this year, and I am pretty sure it's the same for the rest of the shows that have yet to air. Show of the year, OST of the year.

For what it's worth anyway.
alarmedOct 1, 2008 3:14 AM
Oct 1, 2008 7:47 AM

Dec 2007
Well said. This was my favorite show of the year as well. All of Yuasa Masaaki's shows just ooze with style. I felt a little dissatisfied by the ending, but maybe a re-watch it will fix that.
DunkyDec 13, 2012 4:51 PM
Oct 25, 2008 6:14 PM

Apr 2007
I suck for not having finished this until now.

Anyways, great finale, but It does feel shallow compared to the rest of the series. No, it is shallow. It's a shame really, it could have been so much more great, but I guess their creativity ran out in the end, hell, I can't think of a more epic end either. But I know that there has to be one, it just isn't quite satisfying. Nevertheless, 10/10, and top 5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2008 9:52 PM

Nov 2007
So I guess pretty much everybody was a little letdown by the ending. Not super sure what I didn't like about it though. The show really changed gears from episode 7 to episode 8. It was kind of a lot to take in in a short amount of time. Usually shows like this don't go through the trouble of trying to explain everything, so I guess in this case too much closure was a bad thing.

Either way, I gave it a high 8. Would've given it a 9 a year ago, but I'm trying to be more discerning. I'll have to rewatch it at some point.

Also, was I the only one who thought Popo was female until...well, until that scene where they refer to him as 'he' like 5 times in one minute. He doesn't look male at all.

Also known as Monster in a box, but I hate that handle...and it doesn't fit here.
Nov 28, 2008 12:25 PM

Nov 2008
Just finished the series.

I don't want to get as negative as a couple people did, but I also felt the series seemed to lose steam for me towards the end. The first half of the series I thought was absolutely phenomenal. The second half had some good stuff as well, but by the high standard the first half gave us, the last couple episodes in particular felt a bit shallow.

I expected them to take a stronger philosophical stance on the morality of preserving and altering memories. Instead it came down to, "Save Kaiba, kill the plant. Oh, and here's a mecha." The mecha battle was so, so out of place for an anime like this. I wish they hadn't done that.

I think my favorite episodes of the show were 3 and 4. They didn't progress the overall story much, but they were very beautifully done and did a great job painting this unique reality that people live in.

Another great episode was the one where Kaiba and Neiro met as Chroniko and the male robot. It was great to see how two people could make a strong connection, even under such unusual circumstances. It threw a lot of gender roles in question. If Kaiba enters a woman's body, is he still a man? Is he a woman? Does it matter? That episode helped reinforce for me their romance more than some corny scene of them getting drunk together.

I'm really struggling with my score for this one. I guess it'll be a 9 or an 8. I want to give it a 9 not just because of the first half of the series, but because the art style was a very brave choice, and I applaud anime that likes to break the mold. But the last five or so episodes make it hard for me to do it.
Nov 30, 2008 1:09 PM

May 2008
It was a "normal" ending, and I think that's what disappointed people. It was an ending you'd expect in something other than Kaiba. I thought everything was wonderful up to the very end. I enjoyed PoPo's demise and all.

Can't say I ever expected the show to get "preachy" on it's philosophical themes (is this along the lines of what you meant by you expected them to take a stronger stance unsclesnapple? or am I misunderstanding you here) It doesn't hold your hand while it walks you through it's world.

The earlier episodes were very, very nice indeed (Chroniko's boots was a lot of people's favorite I bet) but they had to get back to the main plot at some point. It's just too bad that they did so in such a normal way after the amazing ride that was the early and middle parts of the show.

I gave it a 9, very deserving of it I think. Loved the art and the music. Specially the music, outstanding.
alarmedDec 1, 2008 7:36 PM
Dec 5, 2008 1:15 AM

Nov 2008
Maybe I did want it to get preachy, lol. That's hard to say. I thought something would happen by the end of the show that would totally change the entire society of memory exchanging, that would bring the world to its knees and force people to change the way they look at life and death and the disposing and trading of people and memories.

I definitely agree that the ending was too normal for me. That was the biggest disappointment. I ended up giving Kaiba a 9 anyway, because I really did think the first half of the series was almost flawless, and I want to give more credit to shows that strive to be avant-garde, like Kaiba. Even though they got away from that a little bit towards the end, I'm glad I took time to watch the show, and I wish there were more shows like it.
Jan 6, 2009 10:50 PM

Jun 2008
Well, for me 12 was a good lift up from 11... 11 being the least better episode of the series.

Im giving Kaiba a 9.
Kirameite, yurameite, aoki yumi, maihanatsu, hana mo-e yu-kuuu!!!
Jul 12, 2009 6:43 PM

Jun 2008
So I'm sitting here, thinking about the series as a whole, and the more I think about it, the more the pieces slowly start to fit together. I don't like that.

In any other show I would be happy with having the loose ends tied up... but that's not what I wanted from Kaiba. I just can't be satisfied with a satisfying ending!

Even with that bit of disappointment, this was a freakin' cool show, and I'm glad to have experienced it.
"All I want in life is someone to put one of my quotes under their sig" -Perposterone
Nov 30, 2009 1:35 AM

Dec 2008
The main plot episodes were a bit of a rush, they should have given more episodes to that, make more episodes of Kaiba travelling with Vanilla and make this like 23 episodes long.

I REALLY wanted to give this 10, probably will do when I rewatch it, but still this gets a 9 and top 5.
Jan 1, 2010 9:33 PM
Feb 2009
I enjoyed the ending, especially the giant mech body, but was a little confused as to where they would go from there. Kaiba has the crown, but what is going to come of it? Will he be the same Pain in the arse dictator or will he have learned from his experiences? The series wants us to use our imagination on this last bit I guess.
Jan 14, 2010 7:20 PM
Dec 2009
I was half asleep when I was watching the last episode. When I rewatch it I'm not sure if it's going to make more sense or less.
Jan 22, 2010 2:51 AM

Nov 2008
What an ending, I thought I was watching Kaiba, not End of Eva :|
I'd definitely give it a 9 without the 2 last episodes, but the main story really disappointed me...

Though it's still an excellent watch and the 7 firsts episodes were pure golden bar.

8/10 for me.
Jan 29, 2010 3:44 PM

Nov 2007
There are so many things which I didn't like about this serie...

e.g, why is that turd "popo" still alive?? <.< And I don't like how the main "heroine" Neiro (the main protagonists "girlfriend", remember!) was fooling around with him (shit, altered memories? fuck that, she still did it). I could go on in a similar manner, but I'm not going to...

But hey, the serie wasn't entirely bad <.< There are many positive qualities about it...I guess.
AzamatJan 29, 2010 3:54 PM

"Sanity is overrated."
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

0 by Sagepool »»
Apr 13, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 10 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Jul 31, 2008

43 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

freedo- - Jul 4, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 8 Discussion

cyruz - Jun 22, 2008

48 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 2:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.