Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 26, 2011 5:52 PM

Jun 2007
Sv3rr3 said:
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja and the sequel The Broken Bond for the 360 are pretty damn sweet.

Playing Broken Bond at the moment.

Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 excels as both an adaptation and fighting game. It's graphically stunning, bringing anime to life in 3D, and the attention paid to the story made it as good to watch as it was to play.

On the other hand, both Rise of a Ninja and BB are great to play as platformers but, as adaptations of the source material and fighting games, they aren't too hot. BB improved over RoaN because it had CG cutscenes, instead of lazy anime scene C&Ping, but the facial animation and attention to detail pales compared to UNS2.

Running around Konoha like Sonic, jumping through hoops and looking for coins, takes a long time to get old. It's a ton of fun. And I like how in BB you can control more characters and use their techniques for puzzle solving. But, on the whole, both games are quite flawed and aimed more at the manga/anime fanbase than first timers.

The 360 has it good when it comes to Naruto. RoaN and BB cover part one. UNS2 covers part two. It's too bad UNS1 only came out on the PS3 but Ubisoft's offerings made up for that, somewhat.
Dec 26, 2011 7:33 PM

Jun 2011
What about Disgaea? The 3rd and 4th installments are for PS3. While not technically based on an anime they are definitely in an anime style, and I think any anime fan would be able to appreciate them.
Dec 27, 2011 12:53 AM

Dec 2011
link9us said:
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
Zoml3ie said:
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

let me guess japanese?

That is the problem with most damn anime games, 90% of them are ALL japanese there is hardly any that are released outside of the US which really sucks. I to am kind of interested in locating games based off of an anime series but aside from one piece, naruto, bleach, there just so hard to find.

I do have inuyasha for the ps1, but thats bout it. Now as far as anime themed, or anime styled games, i have a crap load of those, but there original games, not based off anything like harvest moon, mana khemai, ar tonlico, tales, etc.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was translated by mangagamer. You can find more info about it here.

"Purchased"
Haha nice XD

Just because games are in japanese doesn't mean you can't play them ^^. I've been played visual novels/eroge that are in japanese for the last 2 years without knowing japanese, though I'm currently learning. The trick is to use ATLAS XD
I blog about eroge at:
Dec 27, 2011 2:27 AM

Jun 2009
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
Zoml3ie said:

let me guess japanese?

That is the problem with most damn anime games, 90% of them are ALL japanese there is hardly any that are released outside of the US which really sucks. I to am kind of interested in locating games based off of an anime series but aside from one piece, naruto, bleach, there just so hard to find.

I do have inuyasha for the ps1, but thats bout it. Now as far as anime themed, or anime styled games, i have a crap load of those, but there original games, not based off anything like harvest moon, mana khemai, ar tonlico, tales, etc.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was translated by mangagamer. You can find more info about it here.

"Purchased"
Haha nice XD

Just because games are in japanese doesn't mean you can't play them ^^. I've been played visual novels/eroge that are in japanese for the last 2 years without knowing japanese, though I'm currently learning. The trick is to use ATLAS XD

Sorry but I'd pass. Having to constantly try to figure out what the characters are saying because the text on screen makes no sense is most definitely not my idea of fun, it totally takes me out of the story. Which is ultimately what a visual novel is all about (well, except for Nukiges of course).

Also, Higurashi was a visual novel (actually sound novel) first so I'm not sure it should qualify for this thread. Great story though, infinitely better than it's anime counterpart.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 28, 2011 8:21 AM

Jul 2007
Glyre said:
What about Disgaea? The 3rd and 4th installments are for PS3. While not technically based on an anime they are definitely in an anime style, and I think any anime fan would be able to appreciate them.

Nope that would not qualify, because the anime was based off of the video game series. Were looking for video games based off of anime series, the other way around. There are loads of them out there, but most all are in Japanese.

I agree with insane, its ridiculous to try and play and let alone figure out the plot line or story going on if you have no knowledge of reading Japanese. Even trying to find some script online is just stupid when you have to pause the game every now and then and read the script. I have actually done that before with a few games cause i was so impatient, tales of graces is one of them. But it would be nice if more of these games based off anime series would be released outside japan. There are a few that i have downloaded off of the Japanese PSN store, but im really only playing them for the controls, have no idea what the hell is going on with the characters and the story.

Its really sad for me to see the traditional Japanese anime styled games just little by little crumbling under the weight of all the modern games well they still stay strong in japan.

Dec 28, 2011 12:58 PM
Nov 2011
Glyre said:

i havent play them but my friends has them,.. he tells me they are really good and longggg!!!!
Dec 28, 2011 1:36 PM

Jun 2009
link9us said:

Nope that would not qualify, because the anime was based off of the video game series. Were looking for video games based off of anime series, the other way around. There are loads of them out there, but most all are in Japanese.

I agree with insane, its ridiculous to try and play and let alone figure out the plot line or story going on if you have no knowledge of reading Japanese.

Just to clarify: This ATLAS a previous member mentioned is a machine translator that attempts to translate the Kanji and what have you into english. The problem is that it is pretty much as bad google translate. So, it's in english but it's still a pain to use. I really wouldn't recommend it. It would probably be less painful to actually learn Japanese, because despite the extra effort, at least you get the most out of the story.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 28, 2011 7:49 PM

Jul 2007
insan3soldiern said:
link9us said:

I agree with insane, its ridiculous to try and play and let alone figure out the plot line or story going on if you have no knowledge of reading Japanese.

Just to clarify: This ATLAS a previous member mentioned is a machine translator that attempts to translate the Kanji and what have you into english. The problem is that it is pretty much as bad google translate. So, it's in english but it's still a pain to use. I really wouldn't recommend it. It would probably be less painful to actually learn Japanese, because despite the extra effort, at least you get the most out of the story.

Translates Kanji? You would need a keyboard to even input the kanji commands then, in order to translate it into engilsh and most of us don't have Japanese keyboards.

Dec 28, 2011 9:32 PM

Jun 2009
insan3soldiern said:
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
Zoml3ie said:

let me guess japanese?

"Purchased"
Haha nice XD

Sorry but I'd pass. Having to constantly try to figure out what the characters are saying because the text on screen makes no sense is most definitely not my idea of fun, it totally takes me out of the story. Which is ultimately what a visual novel is all about (well, except for Nukiges of course).

Also, Higurashi was a visual novel (actually sound novel) first so I'm not sure it should qualify for this thread. Great story though, infinitely better than it's anime counterpart.

There are actually quite a few anime based videogames, most of which unfortunately never see localization.

A few that I've played (going back to old school as well as newer games :D )

-Akira for the NES, never got localized but was a pretty cool game. You might be able to find a ROM/emulator for it.

-Aura Battler Dunbine (Yes, THAT show, you know the one with the ultra rare vol. 12) had an okay PS1 game.

-Beserk had a game for the PS2, it was actually kinda cool!

-Code Geass had a pretty sweet DS strategy game, as well as a cool PS2 visual novel, Lost Colors.

-Fullmetal Alchemist has had a bunch of games (most recently a Brotherhood game for PSP). Two of the PS2 games were released here.

-Fairy Tail had a pretty crappy PSP game

-Hayate no Gotoku also had a PSP game which was sort of interesting.

-One of the more recent games, the Initial D game for PS3 was awesome! I mean, it wasn't the best racing game by far but it was cool!

Of course there are the infinite amounts of Bleach, DBZ, One Piece, Yugioh and Naruto game but I won't go into those.
Dec 28, 2011 9:46 PM

Sep 2007
Higurashi Daybreak is pretty fun. Great music, too. Can't see someone who isn't a fan getting much enjoyment out of it, though. It's based on the visual novel rather than the anime, but I think it still fits the bill.

Make sure to play the PC version. The PSP ports aren't as balanced and have piss-easy AI, among other problems (loooooong load times in Portable, shit song remixes in Mega).
Dec 29, 2011 2:53 AM

Dec 2011
link9us said:
Translates Kanji? You would need a keyboard to even input the kanji commands then, in order to translate it into engilsh and most of us don't have Japanese keyboards.
Because things seem to be going all over the place, I'll describe what using ATLAS is like.

After you start the game,a program like AGTH or ITH grabs the text from the game in real time, as the text in the game changes, AGTH will grab the new text. ATLAS or TA will translate text as its grabbed by AGTH. You don't need to input anything, the process is automatic. These ATLAS basically copys the text from the text grabbing program and translate it, if you were to copy an other text (using Ctrl+c) these would also be translated. The translated text disappears as you translate new text. So you don't have a huge bunch of text in one place.

insan3soldiern said:

This is a bit misleading. ATLAS attempts to translate all of the japanese text, hiragana and katakana included. I'll agree that the translations aren't great.The words aren't set out nicely for you in a easily to read sentence, but the bits are there so if you know english well you can basically understand whats going on. Translations are also sometimes rough due to the various dialects, slang etc.

Another problem is caused when the game uses hiragana and katakana in places that kanji should be used. With particles involved, ATLAS might join the particle with the hiragana thinking that they make a single word or it'll get the hiragana correctly translate it into another word because it mistakes it for another word with the same pronunciation.

Sounds like a lot of problems right? But if you get the hang of it, you can understand a majority of a game (assuming that the story isn't too complicated). For those who actually have a small understand of japanese from watching enough anime, translations combined with listening skills make the game even more understandable since the characters (besides the protagonist) are usually voiced.

Its even easy to just play english translations, but they're limited. Of course its easy to say to learn japanese to understand the game completely, but thats gonna take YEARS. If you learn japanese at the same time while using ATLAS, you can practice reading while getting rough translations to see if you're correct. I've only actually started studying japanese for about 6months, so before that my knowledge was the limited amount I got from I picked up from anime. Despite that, I've been using ATLAS for over 2 years and played over 40 japanese games XD. It it can work for me, it'll definitely work for anyone else out there.

aer0gam3rDec 29, 2011 3:03 AM
I blog about eroge at:
Dec 29, 2011 7:59 AM

Jul 2007
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
Because things seem to be going all over the place, I'll describe what using ATLAS is like.

After you start the game,a program like AGTH or ITH grabs the text from the game in real time, as the text in the game changes, AGTH will grab the new text. ATLAS or TA will translate text as its grabbed by AGTH. You don't need to input anything, the process is automatic. These ATLAS basically copys the text from the text grabbing program and translate it, if you were to copy an other text (using Ctrl+c) these would also be translated. The translated text disappears as you translate new text. So you don't have a huge bunch of text in one place.

insan3soldiern said:

This is a bit misleading. ATLAS attempts to translate all of the japanese text, hiragana and katakana included. I'll agree that the translations aren't great.The words aren't set out nicely for you in a easily to read sentence, but the bits are there so if you know english well you can basically understand whats going on. Translations are also sometimes rough due to the various dialects, slang etc.

Another problem is caused when the game uses hiragana and katakana in places that kanji should be used. With particles involved, ATLAS might join the particle with the hiragana thinking that they make a single word or it'll get the hiragana correctly translate it into another word because it mistakes it for another word with the same pronunciation.

Sounds like a lot of problems right? But if you get the hang of it, you can understand a majority of a game (assuming that the story isn't too complicated). For those who actually have a small understand of japanese from watching enough anime, translations combined with listening skills make the game even more understandable since the characters (besides the protagonist) are usually voiced.

Its even easy to just play english translations, but they're limited. Of course its easy to say to learn japanese to understand the game completely, but thats gonna take YEARS. If you learn japanese at the same time while using ATLAS, you can practice reading while getting rough translations to see if you're correct. I've only actually started studying japanese for about 6months, so before that my knowledge was the limited amount I got from I picked up from anime. Despite that, I've been using ATLAS for over 2 years and played over 40 japanese games XD. It it can work for me, it'll definitely work for anyone else out there.

Sounds complicated, but does that mean you can only use it on a computer? How are you able to transfer the dialogue from a game, like lets say most psp UMD's or ps3 games?

Dec 29, 2011 12:48 PM

Dec 2011
link9us said:
Sounds complicated, but does that mean you can only use it on a computer? How are you able to transfer the dialogue from a game, like lets say most psp UMD's or ps3 games?
After you get used to it, the process becomes very easy XD. Being a translator on computer, you are restricted to playing computer games.
I blog about eroge at:
Dec 29, 2011 3:17 PM

Jul 2007
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:
After you get used to it, the process becomes very easy XD. Being a translator on computer, you are restricted to playing computer games.

Then what good is that since 90% of my video games are console games.

Dec 29, 2011 3:51 PM

Dec 2011
link9us said:
aer0gam3r said:
link9us said:

Then what good is that since 90% of my video games are console games.
Eroge almost never are on console. VNs are reasonably common, but as you would expect they are in japanese. ATLAS gives you the ability to play japanese eroge or VNs on computer if you ever decide to do so.
I blog about eroge at:
Dec 29, 2011 4:46 PM

Jun 2011
link9us said:
Glyre said:

I know...But the OP is looking for a game based on an anime so that he can play it, he isn't just asking a question for the sake of it. As you yourself say there aren't many English language anime games, I was recommending one that would most likely "feel" like an anime game, even if it isn't based on an anime.
Dec 29, 2011 5:44 PM

Dec 2010
Glyre said:

I know...But the OP is looking for a game based on an anime so that he can play it, he isn't just asking a question for the sake of it.

You just shot yourself in the foot. "He isn't just asking a question for the sake of it". Just so you know, the question was a good game base on an anime. Let me clarify: Anime came first, game came second. Doing anything else, like recommending Disgaea, defeats the purpose of the question and is largely uninsightful.
Dec 29, 2011 7:15 PM
Sep 2007
MGS series are anime games to end all anime games.
Aren't based on any particular anime, though.
Dec 29, 2011 7:20 PM

Jul 2007
Psajdak said:
MGS series are anime games to end all anime games.
Aren't based on any particular anime, though.

You can't be serous?? MGS?

Dec 29, 2011 7:27 PM
Sep 2007
Well, Metal Gear Solid are anime games.

Even famous seiyuu borrow their voices in original version.
Dec 29, 2011 9:25 PM
Nov 2011
insan3soldiern said:
link9us said:

well i think that would be the case for any translator not just atlas,.. although i do agree just to learn the language since that would make things easier and allows us to expand into new lands of gaming/anime / and manga, cuz even though a translator my help by translating in our own language it my not do it with the right words or with a different emphasis...
Dec 29, 2011 9:29 PM
Nov 2011
Psajdak said:
Well, Metal Gear Solid are anime games.

Even famous seiyuu borrow their voices in original version.

metal gear solid or metal slug?...
Dec 29, 2011 10:00 PM
Sep 2007
khaosz23 said:
metal gear solid
Dec 29, 2011 10:25 PM
Nov 2011
Psajdak said:
khaosz23 said:
metal gear solid

i dont think it counts as in anime
Dec 29, 2011 11:34 PM
Sep 2007
But it is.
Dec 30, 2011 3:31 PM

Jun 2011
Otsdarva said:
Glyre said:

I know...But the OP is looking for a game based on an anime so that he can play it, he isn't just asking a question for the sake of it.

You just shot yourself in the foot. "He isn't just asking a question for the sake of it". Just so you know, the question was a good game base on an anime. Let me clarify: Anime came first, game came second. Doing anything else, like recommending Disgaea, defeats the purpose of the question and is largely uninsightful.

Really? It's not insightful to look at the OP's question, in which he asked for a game based on an anime, and then, upon learning that he would prefer an English-language game, recommend Disgaea? See, I'm well aware of what his question was. The problem is that, as you quoted me as saying, "He isn't just asking a question for the sake of it." That being said, just listing off a bunch of Japanese games based on an anime probably won't help the OP any--instead, I decided to be INSIGHTFUL, and think of a game that probably shares a lot of similarities with an anime but has the advantage of being in English. That way the OP can play a game that's very much like an anime, while also being able to understand the story--which was what he wanted. I'm guessing that you haven't read much of the thread, or else that should have been clear. If I was so wrong by making a suggestion then I kindly invite the OP to shoot it down--he didn't, by the way, but actually said that his friend had already recommended it.
Dec 30, 2011 10:30 PM

Dec 2010
Glyre said:

Really? It's not insightful to look at the OP's question, in which he asked for a game based on an anime, and then, upon learning that he would prefer an English-language game, recommend Disgaea? See, I'm well aware of what his question was. The problem is that, as you quoted me as saying, "He isn't just asking a question for the sake of it." That being said, just listing off a bunch of Japanese games based on an anime probably won't help the OP any--instead, I decided to be INSIGHTFUL, and think of a game that probably shares a lot of similarities with an anime but has the advantage of being in English. That way the OP can play a game that's very much like an anime, while also being able to understand the story--which was what he wanted. I'm guessing that you haven't read much of the thread, or else that should have been clear. If I was so wrong by making a suggestion then I kindly invite the OP to shoot it down--he didn't, by the way, but actually said that his friend had already recommended it.

Do you really think this is a discussion? lol. All I saw was your post. If only you put this much effort into your original post, you wouldn't have embarassed yourself. What a shame, huh?

This wasn't a discussion, period. I called you out. It was legimate. Anything else is squabbling and simple semantics.
Dec 31, 2011 9:42 AM

Jul 2007
You guys are hilarious, fighing over something so ridiculous, i bet the original poster is not only excluded from this thread because of the way it got off track but is probably also laughing his ass off.

Dec 31, 2011 5:01 PM
Nov 2011
Nay. I wouldn't laugh about it is just that I havent been around lately but believe or not I have read all the post and watch game plays on all the games that have been posted in here.. is just that i feel that I can't argue or discuss with no one in here about a topic that am not familiar with after all that's reason I started this
khaosz23Dec 31, 2011 5:21 PM
Dec 31, 2011 8:55 PM

Jul 2007
khaosz23 said:
Nay. I wouldn't laugh about it is just that I havent been around lately but believe or not I have read all the post and watch game plays on all the games that have been posted in here.. is just that i feel that I can't argue or discuss with no one in here about a topic that am not familiar with after all that's reason I started this

yeah finding a video game purely based on an anime series is very difficult for NA releases. There is just a very small collection of games that meet that criteria. How ever if you want a game that is just anime styled, or has that traditional Japanese anime feel to it. Then that would probably be a better question for this topic, cause im sure there is ton of fans that can recommend those types of games, my self included.

Jan 1, 2012 4:20 AM

Nov 2011
Shit, the amount of idiocy in this thread.

Just go and play Treasure's Bleach DS fighters.
Jan 1, 2012 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
I actually like the dragon ball game for gameboy advanced :P it's like a platformer with some fighting in it, it's pretty cool.
Jan 5, 2012 9:28 AM
Nov 2011
link9us said:
khaosz23 said:

yeah finding a video game purely based on an anime series is very difficult for NA releases. There is just a very small collection of games that meet that criteria. How ever if you want a game that is just anime styled, or has that traditional Japanese anime feel to it. Then that would probably be a better question for this topic, cause im sure there is ton of fans that can recommend those types of games, my self included.

What am looking is for games base on anime, like you said there are lots of games that are anime like but that's not what am looking for. What am focusing more is for games that are base on anime but that doesn't mean that i won't take a look at titles or games that people recommended in here..after all we all know is hard to find a game that is pure base on anime since most of those games are or started as light novels... In conclusion the whole thing is to find those rare games since most of people have their eyes on main stream titles...
Jan 6, 2012 11:35 AM

Nov 2011
Does Recettear counts?
It's not based on anime series, but it's based on anime style. Not that super game, but fun for a while.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Jan 6, 2012 12:27 PM

Jul 2011
i loved the .//hack games they were really fun still need to get part 3 and 4 if i can find them a nice price in the uk
Jan 14, 2012 8:26 AM

Jul 2007
khaosz23 said:
link9us said:
khaosz23 said:

What am looking is for games base on anime, like you said there are lots of games that are anime like but that's not what am looking for. What am focusing more is for games that are base on anime but that doesn't mean that i won't take a look at titles or games that people recommended in here..after all we all know is hard to find a game that is pure base on anime since most of those games are or started as light novels... In conclusion the whole thing is to find those rare games since most of people have their eyes on main stream titles...

Well based on my mass collection of video games, my best advice to you if you have not played them yet is get both naruto games, rise of the ninja for the wii and broken bonds for the 360. Then also the newly released bleach game for the ps3. You may also consider getting the ultimate ninja storm games for the ps3 and one piece unlimited adventure is pretty good to. Other then that, i really don't know. Bot those games are purely based off of anime series lol AND are actually good. Especially broken bronds, probably one of my favorites.

Jan 23, 2012 5:54 PM
Nov 2011
link9us said:
khaosz23 said:
link9us said:
khaosz23 said:

Well based on my mass collection of video games, my best advice to you if you have not played them yet is get both naruto games, rise of the ninja for the wii and broken bonds for the 360. Then also the newly released bleach game for the ps3. You may also consider getting the ultimate ninja storm games for the ps3 and one piece unlimited adventure is pretty good to. Other then that, i really don't know. Bot those games are purely based off of anime series lol AND are actually good. Especially broken bronds, probably one of my favorites.

Thanks ill check them out am sure ill get ninja storm once I get some free time...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

45 by RobertsahDHDA »»
27 minutes ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 3 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
11 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.