Forum Settings
Forums

Point system for submitting information?

New
Aug 7, 2008 6:07 AM

Feb 2008
I've seen this done on a few other DB sites for music and whatnot.

Basically, users would be rewarded for submitting any kind of information for an anime/manga page, new characters, brand new entries, etc. These points could maybe just be seen by the user themselves (their own points) or by staff members. A number of points could be determined by how good the update or information is, for instance submitting a brand new anime or manga should probably grant the user more points than just putting up like, a connection from one series to another or something.

Essentially I think this would be a good way to get trustworthy members whom often submit new data and with this setup, it could maybe be worked out that so when a member gets a certain amount of points they can start submitting things on the go without needing moderation and approval, etc. Of course this would be no easy task to reach and would require a lot of work and patience, but would obviously be a nice payoff.

I think it'd both benefit those who like to update the pages for anime and manga, or like submitting brand new information fairly often, and would also probably take a work load off of the staff.

MAL seems to be growing a lot, so this is just an idea I've had for awhile, been meaning to throw it out there. Maybe someone else has suggested this before? ... =P
Aug 7, 2008 6:23 AM

Jan 2008
Interesting idea. I think I like it. There's always stuff I want added, corrected or modified but have to submit and wait it out instead. It would definitely take a load off the staff, if trustyworthy-proven members could take part in the process. Just set the point barrier really high to scare off the not-so-trustworthy-or-competent members, no worries.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 7, 2008 7:38 AM

Oct 2007
So will the points be there to be like a second post count, or can it be used to actually reward the users?
Aug 7, 2008 10:02 AM
Sep 2007
I love this idea!

EDIT:

but... I doubt it will happen. I mean, it would be almost a promotion to moderator. and admins/mods would have to decide if submissions are pointsworthy, since posts in database sections of forums should be counted too. so after all, there would be some more work to them anyway. that doesn't change the fact that I support this idea though.

llxwarbirdxll said:
So will the points be there to be like a second post count, or can it be used to actually reward the users?

the way EchelonV explained it, I think it would be a reward - a promotion to semi-moderator.
Aug 7, 2008 4:59 PM
Jul 2008
Seems like a good idea, it would give people more motivation to improve this site.

The obvious reverse to this is that people will do un-necessary things, or find excuses to include something, just for the sake of a few points (for example, making a recommendation for another anime for very loose and unrealistic reason, just for the sake of a few points). The result then is everything gets clogged up with people making useless edits and filling pages with things.

But obviously, a point system can be tweaked to avoid this, and its true purpose - to identify members that make lots of contributions - can be achieved.

Sounds like a good idea. If it was possible to be included, it should be considered.
Aug 7, 2008 7:10 PM

Nov 2006
we don't really get unreliable edits though, we get stupid people not knowing enough about something first and editing it incorrectly, but we don't get liars or anything like that. it's a nice idea but i think it's kind of extravagant for mal at this point in time.

also, mods can see who submits information, so if a user has become known for submitting incorrect edits, we'll know to be more leery of their submissions. (and vice versa).

More topics from this board

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
5 hours ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.