Forum Settings
Forums
Apr 21, 2013 3:33 PM

RedArmyShogun said:
I have a rather new PC so filesize means jack to me.
"Rather new" PCs have infinite hard drive space now? Everything adds up eventually.
And the translations are fairly well done
Except the translations aren't theirs; they're taken from other groups.
and unlike Bakabt I know the torrent will be good for more than a few days,
Um, what? Some of BakaBT's torrents are almost a decade old, and are still seeded.

jhl9027 said:
et's say you live in a developing area and the best download speed you can get is around 500KB/s (i'm being generous here, a lot of people don't even get that much). One day, you decided that you want to download a series that's been completed for a few years. You search up torrents by seed-number, and the only decently seeded torrent you can find is a colossal 27GB file for a 13-episode series provided by the "oh-my-god-blu-ray-is-the--best-it's-the-only-way-to-watch-animuuu-lololololol-" people of Coalgirls.
Hmm, maybe some of my efforts to continue providing low-res/sane-size disc-rips of recent anime aren't so pointless after all. Though if you look a little harder, most of Coalgirls' 720p files are under 1 GB per episode, so you might get that same 13-ep series for 7-9 GB or less.
Modified by Zalis, Apr 21, 2013 3:54 PM
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Apr 21, 2013 3:45 PM

I like their releases, though they generally have tons of different tracks. So I cut out any I don't need to save space and then store it. Easy enough.

Apr 21, 2013 4:09 PM

coalgirls are probably one of the best imo.

Apr 22, 2013 12:54 AM

TonyTin said:
Oh god! People arguing over a group that works on subbing anime we want to understand but can't because of language barriers! What has the world come to?!

How many times must it be repeated for lazy people who obviously didn't read the thread?

Coalgirls do not translate or sub anime themselves. They take pre-existing subs from other fansub groups or commercial DVD/BD releases, and put them on Blu-Ray encodes.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just setting the record straight. Essentially, there are exactly zero titles that you would not be able to understand if CGi had not released rips of them.

(Note: they sometimes have scrounged up new translations for minor things like previews or added scenes, but they do not translate entire episodes/movies from scratch themselves.)
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Apr 22, 2013 3:19 AM
why go around hating fan subs group? do you realize the more fan sub groups we have the more beneficial it is for us anime watchers? if you dislike a particular fan sub just let it be. no need to go around posting comments hating on it.

Apr 22, 2013 3:47 AM
otaking
so there lazy subbers that steal other peoples hard work
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Apr 22, 2013 4:13 AM

I never knew they were hated upon. They're pretty much one of my favorite groups around.

Yes, they just do encodes and don't usually do subs, but rather uses someone's else. There's nothing wrong with that. They state upfront and credit whichever subgroup they're using. Think of it this way, they mix and match different subs (dialog, image overlay, karaoke etc) from whichever group that has better ones, and ultimately, this benefits us watchers.

Their file sizes are not disproportionately huge if you take the fact that they use loseless audio encoding into account.

Apr 22, 2013 4:54 AM

What's there to hate? Their encodes are always good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 22, 2013 5:03 AM

What, Coalgirls is one of my favourite bluray/HD groups, how can anyone hate them? My HDD is packed with [coalgirls] anime, especially hunter x hunter

Apr 22, 2013 6:13 AM

jhl9027 said:
Well... it's annoying in certain situations. Let me paint you a word picture. Let's say you live in a developing area and the best download speed you can get is around 500KB/s (i'm being generous here, a lot of people don't even get that much). One day, you decided that you want to download a series that's been completed for a few years. You search up torrents by seed-number, and the only decently seeded torrent you can find is a colossal 27GB file for a 13-episode series provided by the "oh-my-god-blu-ray-is-the--best-it's-the-only-way-to-watch-animuuu-lololololol-" people of Coalgirls.

Now, I'm sure there are some weird, rich-ass people who watch anime in their fucking home theaters. But the truth is, the vast majority of people find Coalgirls' mammoth-size encodes unnecessary (and fucking obnoxious) as they watch anime on 13~17 inch laptops, not 60 inch flat-screen TVs with surround sound.

You've made me read almost four replies from a topic from 2011. Damn you!

Apr 22, 2013 8:12 AM

Forgetfulness said:
They're hated on? I never knew o_o
Me, neither. They're a pretty good sub group.
Modified by NTAD, Aug 24, 2015 9:25 PM

Aug 17, 2013 4:57 PM
jhl9027 said:
Well... it's annoying in certain situations. Let me paint you a word picture. Let's say you live in a developing area and the best download speed you can get is around 500KB/s (i'm being generous here, a lot of people don't even get that much). One day, you decided that you want to download a series that's been completed for a few years. You search up torrents by seed-number, and the only decently seeded torrent you can find is a colossal 27GB file for a 13-episode series provided by the "oh-my-god-blu-ray-is-the--best-it's-the-only-way-to-watch-animuuu-lololololol-" people of Coalgirls.

Now, I'm sure there are some weird, rich-ass people who watch anime in their fucking home theaters. But the truth is, the vast majority of people find Coalgirls' mammoth-size encodes unnecessary (and fucking obnoxious) as they watch anime on 13~17 inch laptops, not 60 inch flat-screen TVs with surround sound.

Damn... You make me sad... What you described was my setup... -20" on the TV, but still... Although my internet speed is atrocious, so I download from my girlfriend's house! xD

Aug 17, 2013 5:01 PM

Because the don't do Karaoke like other fansubbers, that the only reason I hate them... other then that its fine.

Aug 17, 2013 6:03 PM

Mikenzb said:
Because the don't do Karaoke like other fansubbers, that the only reason I hate them... other then that its fine.

Go learn Japanese then.

Aug 17, 2013 6:10 PM

parfaited said:
Mikenzb said:

Go learn Japanese then.

This. Coalgirls are the main fansub group that I hear of when making downloads. And while I'm no ultra quality encode judge, all their shit looks great as hell.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 17, 2013 6:29 PM

Unit-01 said:
apatch3 said:
I say it's sexism.
but they're not actually girls lol

I like to pretend that they are girls.

Aug 17, 2013 7:58 PM

They look great to me, but I've seen several comparisons showing they use inferior filtering. Can't tell unless you pause it and go pixel hunting though. If you're anal about your archives, there are other groups that achieve same or better quality with smaller file sizes. Saying Coalgirls is shit, though, is just hyperbole, and unfortunately there isn't any shortage of otaku hipsters trying to be exclusive.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Aug 17, 2013 8:04 PM

I wasn't even aware of this "hate".

Aug 17, 2013 8:06 PM

JustALEX said:

Aug 17, 2013 8:06 PM
Most of their stuff is good. If there's one show that's hard to get and they have them ready and in high quality, I'll take it.
*Police Sirens*
Crap. The FBI. *runs*

Aug 17, 2013 8:07 PM
JustALEX said:

There's some hate on other sites.

Aug 17, 2013 8:26 PM

i dont download fansubs because i just find legal streams just as convenient and if you can support the industry by watching a 5-20 second ad why not
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Aug 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Two words: Ordered chapters. I hate it when a release has ordered chapters more than anything else. Luckily not all of Coalgirls' releases are ordered chapters, but when they do... ugh.

The only time I download an ordered chapters release by Coalgirls or any other group is if there really is no other option available.

Seriously, what is up with ordered chapters?

Aug 17, 2013 10:21 PM
MCsq2 said:
Two words: Ordered chapters. I hate it when a release has ordered chapters more than anything else. Luckily not all of Coalgirls' releases are ordered chapters, but when they do... ugh.

The only time I download an ordered chapters release by Coalgirls or any other group is if there really is no other option available.

Seriously, what is up with ordered chapters?

I really don't mind them, but it's seems kind of contrary to the size of the files in the first place.

Aug 17, 2013 11:19 PM

mattbenz99 said:
if you can support the industry by watching a 5-20 second ad why not
Very true, though people DL from groups like Coalgirls because (among other reasons) they want the DVD/Blu-ray version with decensoring, added scenes, fixed animation, etc. And legal streams usually don't provide that.

Aug 17, 2013 11:43 PM

parfaited said:
Mikenzb said:

Go learn Japanese then.

Thats not the point, What i mean is the thought that fan subbers go that extra mile just to add the Karaoke in.

Aug 17, 2013 11:59 PM
Why so much hate in the first place?
Everyone in the community is shit taste.

Aug 18, 2013 12:13 AM

Coalgirls aren't a fansub group. What they do is get stuff from other groups and put it into Blu ray format. It's annoying sometimes because of how big the files are but I don't have a problem with what they're trying to do.

Aug 18, 2013 12:25 AM

Really?I hadn't noticed.I've watched a couple of their releases and they were legit.
So Far,so Good...So What!

Aug 18, 2013 2:47 AM

The file size is a legitimate reason to downvote a group. I don't see what's your problem OP.

Aug 18, 2013 3:51 AM

SetsukoHara said:
The file size is a legitimate reason to downvote a group. I don't see what's your problem OP.
Contrary opinions must be argued against and crushed until the opinion holder submits.Muhahahaha! j/k

On the rare occasion I do want or need something of superb quality I'll go with Coalgirls, but I'm no video/audiophile so the difference in quality is largely irrelevant to me. I've down voted them because of the unwieldy nature of their releases.

Nov 17, 2013 2:31 AM
it seems that OP falsely believes that file size is synonymous to quality. Coalgirls' stuff is the same if not worse than many other group's releases that are half the file size or less. I think that's the main reason for the hate.

Nov 17, 2013 3:44 AM

FauxAzn said:
They're almost always downvoted to oblivion in every anime's "Fansubbing Groups" section. Yet I choose their releases pretty regularly, and have never had a problem. They take subs from one of the better groups...

I'm no fansub lover and think they're all kind of scummy when US groups release stuff legally available in the US. Having said that. look at the bolded part. You're really shocked they get down votes given how they operate?

Nov 17, 2013 5:42 AM

I don't hate [Coalgirls] but I'd go as far to say that I genuinely dislike them..... I used them once and never will use them again. Bloated sizes, upscales, changing fonts to silly colours and sizes, no thank you. Lesson learned, won't ever use them again or recommend them to anyone.
And before you accuse me of not having the space to accommodate large files, I've often got series that were in excess of 70GB.
I think the creator of this thread is affiliated with [Coalgirls] in some capacity, that's the only explanation for defending such a lousy group. I don't like how they operate and go about their business either. Taking the hard work of other groups and claiming it as their own.

Nov 17, 2013 5:46 AM
CharlesTheWise said:
Taking the hard work of other groups and claiming it as their own.

Wut?

Nov 17, 2013 6:15 AM
be glad you got more choices

Nov 17, 2013 6:31 AM

Arkasia said:
it seems that OP falsely believes that file size is synonymous to quality. Coalgirls' stuff is the same if not worse than many other group's releases that are half the file size or less. I think that's the main reason for the hate.

They take the highest quality source, encode it using the most efficient popular video codec at a bitrate higher than releases by others. This does pretty much mean higher quality. Whether you can distinguish it just by looking at the video is irrelevant. And their filesizes aren't ridiculous. They're still smaller than on the BluRay disc, so you could as well bash the publishers for releasing it in a "too high quality" in the first place if you dislike having a clearer picture that much. It would only be ridiculous if they re-encoded it using a higher bitrate than the source, which they are not.

So long story short, using the same codecs, a larger file re-encoded from the same source has higher quality than a smaller one. But since you always lose a little something with a re-encode, there is no point in encoding to a very close or higher bitrate than the source (depends on the efficiency ratios between the source and destination codecs though).
If you generalize, you're wrong.

Nov 17, 2013 7:13 AM

I dunno, it seems like the fan sub groups get hate for no reason. Every time I check out the ratings for a fan sub group on this site, they get more thumbs down than they do thumbs up. I say always check out the groups work for your self. I remember looking for subs for JoJo, everyone said that GG's work was amazing and it wasn't. A lot of it didn't make sense and the people who say GG's work on jojo was good have never ever been to England or studied British history. I checked out commie and commie got hate but they were actually good because it was simple and it made sense. My dad once told that you must try out things for your self and he's right.

Nov 17, 2013 12:32 PM

KiraboShikari said:
Size of files.

There are lots of 10-bit re-encoded ones. However, while the video may not be distinguishable from the original (tends to be the case for HD anime), the audio is generally ripped to shreds.

It's not very noticeable for most people, but there can be a huge difference on a pair of good headphones.

Nov 18, 2013 2:17 AM

They are hated because of how ridiculously big their files are. Hence, they're called by many as BloatGirls. Still, I rely on them (and on ANE) when I want to archive certain awesome series.
Though if filesize is a major concern, why bother with 1080p, as seen in the image? Aside from movies and some high-end TV series and OVAs, most anime aren't animated at that resolution, so going with 720p yields significant space savings for negligible (if any) loss in quality or detail. Heck, I don't see much difference between 1080p and 480p, though that's likely a factor of my setup and viewing distance.

CharlesTheWise said:
And before you accuse me of not having the space to accommodate large files, I've often got series that were in excess of 70GB.
Not really relevant unless we know what series we're dealing with. Getting Bleach or Dragon Ball Z in 70 GB is a pretty good deal, but getting Dantalian no Shoka (12 eps) in that amount is not. Wait, Coalgirls' DnS 1080p was actually 79 GB...

sedmelluq said:
They take the highest quality source, encode it using the most efficient popular video codec
So does everyone else who encodes from BDMV with 10-bit h264.

at a bitrate higher than releases by others. This does pretty much mean higher quality. Whether you can distinguish it just by looking at the video is irrelevant.
Bitrate isn't everything, as there are other encoding settings and filters that can affect quality. And if you can't see a difference unless you're squinting over screenshot comparisons, then that higher bitrate has crossed the point of diminishing marginal returns.

And their filesizes aren't ridiculous. They're still smaller than on the BluRay disc,
Except for the ones that are actually the same size as the Blu-Ray discs. Though again, those are just the 1080p Blu-Ray straight remuxes -- the encoded 720p versions that I'd be getting either way are more reasonable.

so you could just as well bash the publishers for releasing it in a "too high quality" in the first place if you dislike having a clearer picture that much.
Clearer picture? What? Higher bitrates and filesizes are usually incurred by a dirtier picture, when encoders attempt to preserve film grain (whether real or fake), noise, and other artifacts because they fear losing "details." So a "clearer picture" in an encode is often a sign that the video is being smoothed out, resulting in lost details (oh noes, not the background wood grains and rock textures!), lower bitrates, and ultimately lower file sizes. If any producers are to blame, it's the ones who add a bunch of fake film grain that drive bitrate requirements through the roof *cough*Mardock Scramble, Rinne no Lagrange*cough*

Zarbel said:
I remember looking for subs for JoJo, everyone said that GG's work was amazing and it wasn't. A lot of it didn't make sense and the people who say GG's work on jojo was good have never ever been to England or studied British history.
I get the sense that many people find gg's highly liberal subs appropriate for an over-the-top FABULOUS series like JoJo, even if they aren't entirely accurate. I know I'd count myself among them.

But as I've said earlier in the thread, I don't really hate Coalgirls; I think of them as a group that mainly releases in resolutions I don't prefer. The releases I have watched from them have been fine.
Modified by Zalis, Nov 18, 2013 2:21 AM

Nov 18, 2013 2:33 AM
the main problem is the gigantic filesizes, they are using very low CRF values that increases the filesize unnecessarily

Nov 18, 2013 2:37 AM
I like Coalgirls.

I dislike how long it takes to download, but I haven't encountered a release I didn't like yet. Sometimes they use one group's subs but I want another group's (SAO: using EveTaku over UTW), but even so, I ended up not disliking what I got. It's free, after all.

I've always wondered if the huge files are more waste than preservation. For me, I guess I'm just pragmatic about it. If I'm getting bothered too much when downloading it, or when watching it, then I'll look for others, and so far that hasn't happened. They don't release every BD in the anime world, though, so I still go to others for things (Kira, Doki sometimes, or just grab ReinForce or some other raw and rough it).

Nov 18, 2013 2:39 AM
@Zalis,

You sure arent joking with Coalgirls' release of Dantalian no Shoka. A 78.5 Gb for 12 episodes anime series. No thanks. This is just overkill.

Nov 18, 2013 2:41 AM

I wouldn't have a clue about the fansubbing groups. Usually because I buy the anime and manga that I like.

But as WorldEditor11 pointed out, 78.5 GB for a 12 episode series seems a bit much when comparatively I am currently downloading the entire Legend of the Galactic Heroes series for a re-watch that is only 4 GB.

Nov 18, 2013 2:45 AM
Jody32 said:
I wouldn't have a clue about the fansubbing groups. Usually because I buy the anime and manga that I like.

But as WorldEditor11 pointed out, 78.5 GB for a 12 episode series seems a bit much when comparatively I am currently downloading the entire Legend of the Galactic Heroes series for a re-watch that is only 4 GB.

Mine is 44.5 Gb. Haven't watch it yet to decide whether it is worth it or not though. I noticed there is a lot of grain when i am skimming through the first episode.

Nov 18, 2013 2:46 AM
worldeditor11 said:
You sure arent joking with Coalgirls' release of Dantalian no Shoka. A 78.5 Gb for 12 episodes anime series. No thanks. This is just overkill.

78.5GB for 12 episodes? And ... Dantalian no Shoka??

(O‸O;)

I would never ever ever do that.

Nov 18, 2013 2:47 AM
j0x said:
the main problem is the gigantic filesizes, they are using very low CRF values that increases the filesize unnecessarily

13 or 16 to be exact compared to your usual 24-18 range.

@Nae

The thing is, they don't even put up the 1080p on their site but rather on nyaa. Only the 720p is which is only 12.6 GB.
Modified by worldeditor11, Nov 18, 2013 2:57 AM

Nov 23, 2013 8:56 PM

From the link that you have given us, I see ...

2324 approve and 790 disapprove.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »