Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 23, 2015 5:40 AM
I hated them because they're slapping their customers with this quote that's left under their homepage:

http://i.imgur.com/q3IK87m.jpg?1

I find this as bitchy attitude.

Aug 23, 2015 6:12 AM

Aug 23, 2015 6:13 AM
raisen052000 said:
I hated them because they're slapping their customers with this quote that's left under their homepage:

Can't remember the last time I downloaded a Coalgirls release.. :/

Aug 23, 2015 6:31 AM

raisen052000 said:

>customers
Since when do people pay for Coalgirls' releases?

They buy BDs, spend their time making those high quality (bloat) releases and do it for free so you're the one here with a bitchy attitude.

Aug 23, 2015 6:40 AM
sedmelluq said:
Arkasia said:
it seems that OP falsely believes that file size is synonymous to quality. Coalgirls' stuff is the same if not worse than many other group's releases that are half the file size or less. I think that's the main reason for the hate.

They take the highest quality source, encode it using the most efficient popular video codec at a bitrate higher than releases by others. This does pretty much mean higher quality. Whether you can distinguish it just by looking at the video is irrelevant. And their filesizes aren't ridiculous. They're still smaller than on the BluRay disc, so you could as well bash the publishers for releasing it in a "too high quality" in the first place if you dislike having a clearer picture that much. It would only be ridiculous if they re-encoded it using a higher bitrate than the source, which they are not.

So long story short, using the same codecs, a larger file re-encoded from the same source has higher quality than a smaller one. But since you always lose a little something with a re-encode, there is no point in encoding to a very close or higher bitrate than the source (depends on the efficiency ratios between the source and destination codecs though).

Actually filesize CAN become irrelevant. Newer encoding techniques can make BETTER quality with LESS size.

Aug 23, 2015 6:41 AM

they dont know how to reencode... no0bs..
quit jacking off on your waifu, you disgusting weaboo

Aug 23, 2015 6:53 AM
coalgirls sub is the best kind of sub and also best video qulity.

Aug 23, 2015 6:58 AM

I like them?! what's wrong with them at all, HATERS I WILL EAT YOU

Aug 23, 2015 6:58 AM
Kruzy said:
raisen052000 said:

>customers
Since when do people pay for Coalgirls' releases?

They buy BDs, spend their time making those high quality (bloat) releases and do it for free so you're the one here with a bitchy attitude.
This, they don't sub those videos for selling purpose, haters everywhere.

Aug 23, 2015 2:19 PM

They don't release patch but have you use your precious bandwidth to re-download everything.

Aug 23, 2015 6:52 PM

shintai88 said:
Its my go to for BD uncompressed.
Doesn't that mean you're usually disappointed, then? They don't have that many truly uncompressed BD releases other than 1080p Dantalian, at least one Mardock Scramble movie, and maybe some other releases I'm forgetting about. Everything else, even stuff like the 60 GB Blue Exorcist 1080p, has been compressed to some degree. Though it could be accurate to say they're a go-to for less-compressed BD.

ekla said:
coalgirls sub is the best kind of sub and also best video quality.
They don't technically sub anything themselves, as they use other groups' subs from TV releases for their BD-rips. Though sometimes they do scrape together a few original translations for things like previews or extra scenes that weren't in the TV-rips, and they will alter scripts on some occasions. The good news is that they tend to choose the least-trollish and/or least-localized version that has available softsubs (hence the use of official R1 subs rather than Static-Subs for My-Hime/My-Otome, for example), so their subtitle choices often align with the preferences of the broader community.

Kruzy said:
They only buy BDs if the BDMVs don't get uploaded onto Share/PerfectDark/etc. by Japanese buyers.

Feniksrises said:
Actually filesize CAN become irrelevant. Newer encoding techniques can make BETTER quality with LESS size.
I'll believe it when I see it. Every encoding advance that has promised better quality at the same size or the same quality with less size (let alone better quality with less size) has only resulted in more bloat. Like DivX to XviD, XviD to 8-bit h.264, 8-bit h.264 to 10-bit h.264, two-pass/constant bitrate to CRF... heck, even the switch to full softsubs, which promised to save bits from the severe compression demands of burning subtitles into video, has resulted in more bloat as groups attach 30 MB+ .ass scripts with ridiculously complex and lag-inducing typesetting and/or karaoke. By comparison, a typical .ass script for 25 minutes of dialogue with simple signs and karaoke will be less than 100 kilobytes.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Sep 22, 2015 10:55 AM
greetings from the future (pun intended)
if you want superior quality you go for

[Coalgirls]

reason?
higher quality, 10-bit, basicly as close as you get to the blu-ray quality, or better when filtered/10-bit, FLAC Lossless

if you want a middle ground (size vs quality)
THORA

reason?
higher quality at a lower size (depending on series, some might be as big as [coalgirls], 10-bit, basicly as close as you get to the blu-ray quality, or better when filtered/10-bit, FLAC Lossless

decent groups
horriblesubs (remuxes from official web source)

for people that are blind
gg, commie, they encode from tv source
every other groups

i started to be annoyed by SallySubs these days, why? they are good atencoding but the graphics, subtitles get hardcoded on their latest releases

anyhow just my taughts, FYI if you have a 4k tv, coalgirls 10-bit or thora 10-bit is supiror, everything else has horrible banding, even offical web streams has

case in point
http://i55.tinypic.com/5n3x8l.jpg

Sep 22, 2015 11:22 AM

wiak said:
decent groups
horriblesubs (remuxes from official web source)

for people that are blind
gg, commie, they encode from tv source
every other groups
Um, what? TV transport streams are generally better than web-rips compressed for streaming purposes, which is why FFF, Commie (gg hasn't subbed anything since Tokyo Ravens in 2013), and the like encode from them. On the occasions where CR's video is better, subbing groups will often use it instead. Sure, TV source isn't as good as Blu-Ray unless the BDs are seriously screwed up, but it's the best the groups have to work with at the time.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Sep 22, 2015 1:20 PM

wiak said:
[Coalgirls]

reason?
higher quality, 10-bit, basicly as close as you get to the blu-ray quality, or better when filtered/10-bit, FLAC Lossless

Enjoy your bloated 200GB releases.
THORA, Elysium, Mazui of sorts have the same quality and lower file sizes. Not to mention superior codex and encoding for some older series with higher grain/color shifts.
Unless you have a fucking huge studio-tier TV for watching animu, you won't even notice the drop in "quality" from that extra 58461861686GBs of Coalgirls.

Sep 22, 2015 10:51 PM
If you don't like their encode then don't download it , As for my opinion their release is one of the best there is so i dont mind getting them

Sep 23, 2015 12:11 AM

Hi10anime ftw, use it whenever possible.

Sep 23, 2015 6:00 AM
DeathMetalTettey said:
Size of files.
[quote=LazYSlackeR]
FauxAzn said:
IDex said:
Every group has it's haters.

Eclipse, where are you when I need you? Please wake from hibernation to disprove this man's statement.
='(

Edit:
Oh wait, there is niizk, but not to that much an exemplary magnitude... http://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php?id=864

To tell the truth THORA has a better ratio, but they still get some negative votes when they don't use their own subs.
Who cares anyway, just watch whatever satisfy you, it's true that CoalGirls don't always have the best encode, but often the difference is so small you wouldn't notice it anyway unless you took the screenshots and compared them.

The complaints about not translating it, using FLAC, ordered chapters or bloated filesizes are pretty silly in my opinion.[/
DeathMetalTettey said:
Size of files.

People with shit broadband or download caps should just stick to Crunchyroll.
CR exists for casual streaming.

BD rips are supposed to be big. How can someone complain about the size of a bluray encode?!

Feb 8, 2016 3:44 PM
Necro!

I watch old anime. In which case you always go for a good rip/encode of the bluray with the added bonus of the under-appreciated art of TYPESETTING. This Coalgirls delivers.

If you have decent broadband 20-40Gb is nothing these days.

Just be glad you don't have to pay for your anime blurays, hell lots is "out of print" and Coalgirls is preserving anime for the future.

Feb 8, 2016 3:54 PM

shit i fucking love coalgirls, i do mind quality and they always deliver

Feb 8, 2016 6:54 PM

Aren't they the ones who put a lot of gagsubs, or used to do so? If so, that probably pissed a lot of people off.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I found the stuff I downloaded from them to be pretty consistent, but then again, I haven't downloaded that much from them.

FINALLY XX YOU OUT
feels so good to forget ya, i've become someone better

Feb 8, 2016 7:11 PM

I don't download them, but never heard the hate.
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Feb 8, 2016 7:15 PM

People who hate on ANY fansub group should go have a fucking word with themselves...

Feb 8, 2016 8:49 PM

People hate Coalgirls? They're one of my favorite sub groups.

Feb 8, 2016 10:22 PM

Feniksrises said:
People with shit broadband or download caps should just stick to Crunchyroll.
CR exists for casual streaming.

BD rips are supposed to be big. How can someone complain about the size of a bluray encode?!
Yet you've said on many occasions that CR doesn't have everything everywhere, so it's clearly not a universal option. And some people, casual or not, would like to partake of things you can only get with the BD version like uncensored violence/nudity, fixed animation, added scenes, and omakes/extras. None of those need FLAC audio or sky-high video bitrates to be enjoyed. BD-rips often are big, but there's nothing that says they have to be. I respect that Coalgirls and some other groups choose to make them that way, but Doki's 480p BD downscales that they release for most projects prove that you can get reasonable quality, the aforementioned BD advantages, and small file sizes.

Feniksrises said:
In which case you always go for a good rip/encode of the bluray with the added bonus of the under-appreciated art of TYPESETTING. This Coalgirls delivers.

If you have decent broadband 20-40Gb is nothing these days.
Of course, a fair bit of that typesetting is work by other groups like Commie/UTW/FFF, shifted from the TV release scripts. Not a trivial task by any means, but still easier than typesetting from scratch.

And to me, the obstacle isn't so much the bandwidth usage, but the disk space. Especially in an era when apparently no HDD manufacturer is reliable and the slightest power anomaly can render drives useless, I don't want to DL a release that's going to take 4-8 DVDRs for one 12-24-episode series if I want to put it on storage that's actually reliable.

Idex said:
Every group has its haters.
Indeed, one of my groups had a perfect rating for a long time, but eventually caught some downvotes over things I had no control over.

dizzyur said:
Aren't they the ones who put a lot of gagsubs, or used to do so? If so, that probably pissed a lot of people off.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong; you're thinking of Coalguys, not Coalgirls. (For instance, the same translator did both Coalguys' Yamada's First Time and gg's Baka&Test S1.) Coalgirls has always been against trolling and jokesubs -- they don't use scripts that're known to be trollsubs if there's a choice, and if there are no other options, they'll try to remove whatever obvious memes and gags they can find.

Feb 9, 2016 2:59 AM
Probably the size of their rips.
One episode being a GB.

I personally do not mind them, sometimes they just have the better quality option.

Jul 25, 2016 10:29 AM

It's because of the inferior quality. That all the bloat comes from the flac-tracks doesn't help either. (Just replace the audiotracks and all of Coalgirls bloat magically goes away.)

Don't get me wrong. File size doesn't matter and I've got more than one (26ep) series that exceeds 100GB. But.

What's the point of bloat if the quality isn't there? Maybe their audio-quality is really good. Not sure and it's tedious to compare and find out.

Not sure how much of this still applies, since I've been avoiding them for years. Though, the reason for that is that they are usually late and I've seen pretty much every show that is out on BD already.
What do you mean it's not safe? - Because I'm gonna kick the crap out of you. What else?
~Tsukihime (Manga)

Jul 25, 2016 7:27 PM

hmm I had to use this group when horriblesubs didn't do a particular show... guess they're ok and filesize looks ok, least no pixelation.

Sep 29, 2018 3:42 PM
You just have to take it on lsd dudes wtf

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]