Forum Settings
Forums

We won't be able to watch free anime anymore

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 6, 2011 12:54 AM

Jan 2011
jrgcool35 said:
ycart59 said:
jrgcool35 said:
Personally I would be more than willing to pay $5-10 a month for a service from anime publishing studios that would allow me to access anime that is directly streamed to my computer (Funimation already does this, and Netflix to a lesser extent) but since not many options such as these exist in terms of anime I will continue to use the torrents due to the ease of access they give me.

The only thing I don't like about that is that, with movies and games, the only ones that people want to buy were already here and were created to BE popular here. But a service for anime of the same type would probably not harbor in as many different choices as Netflix or Steam provides, especially factoring in the small anime fanbase.

Another shitty part (for me, at least) of that idea would be that they would be "official sub" releases if it were to be legal. And we all know how horrible official subs can be. Not ALL of them, but some.

I just can't see that working out. Netflix and Steam can do it because of the incredible profit they can rake in from how many people use their services. But with anime? Hmmm.

And here-in lies the problem, the anime industry needs to either modernize and provide higher quality material like Funimation did (look at how well they are doing because of it) or risk failing and being taken over by publishers/anime writers that do, do it right.

I think this would be the problem to anime specific projects:

"Dubs suck!"
"The official translation sucks!"
"I already watched this when [fansub group] released it!"
"I already have it downloaded!"

My idea: Simulcast big releasese to other countries already subbed (specific and related channels, not just on the internet.)

Monitor popularitiy of shows during the simulcast and license groups can pick up on season to dub into English, which would be released on a later date on DVD/BD and a broader selection of channels, more localized to the general public.

Copyright law would hold up, but at the same time the intended show is viewable and won't require downloading from other sources.

(Not that I'm saying fansubs are bad, but this is a more sensible alternative than to piss off a giant group of people that like this stuff.)
Dec 6, 2011 1:01 AM
Dec 2009
For Americans.
Dec 6, 2011 1:54 AM

Feb 2008
ycart59 said:
IshokuOsero said:
But I digress, as I'm well aware that not everyone is a halfway decent human being...

Yup, pirating = being a shitty person. Do you enjoy the current season? You seem to be watching most of it. Did you know that quite a bit of it's been licensed? Of course, they haven't come out with the disks or anything, but that shouldn't make any difference. Just saiyan.

Not that I'm trying to single you out, because I agree with many points you're making, but when you're saying that someone that illegally downloads anime isn't still a good person, it really does come down to:

Drunk_Samurai said:
Nice holier than thou attitude.

Thanks for noticing. I stream the vast majority of it through CR and Funimation.
And you should see my anime and manga collection sometime. Yep, even the Japanese stuff. I have the actual Touhou games, also, sittin on my shelf behind me. ;)
Anime figure reviews:
Dec 6, 2011 10:20 AM

Aug 2007
IshokuOsero said:
ycart59 said:
IshokuOsero said:
But I digress, as I'm well aware that not everyone is a halfway decent human being...

Yup, pirating = being a shitty person. Do you enjoy the current season? You seem to be watching most of it. Did you know that quite a bit of it's been licensed? Of course, they haven't come out with the disks or anything, but that shouldn't make any difference. Just saiyan.

Not that I'm trying to single you out, because I agree with many points you're making, but when you're saying that someone that illegally downloads anime isn't still a good person, it really does come down to:

Drunk_Samurai said:
Nice holier than thou attitude.

Thanks for noticing. I stream the vast majority of it through CR and Funimation.
And you should see my anime and manga collection sometime. Yep, even the Japanese stuff. I have the actual Touhou games, also, sittin on my shelf behind me. ;)

You missed the point of that post.
Dec 7, 2011 8:25 AM

Jul 2011
RamenSoup43 said:

"Dubs suck!"

My idea: Simulcast big releasese to other countries already subbed (specific and related channels, not just on the internet.)

Monitor popularitiy of shows during the simulcast and license groups can pick up on season to dub into English, which would be released on a later date on DVD/BD and a broader selection of channels, more localized to the general public.

Copyright law would hold up, but at the same time the intended show is viewable and won't require downloading from other sources.

(Not that I'm saying fansubs are bad, but this is a more sensible alternative than to piss off a giant group of people that like this stuff.)

Honestly I don't get the entire "dubs suck" thing anymore, thats soooooo (lol) 1970-1995. Every dub I have watched that comes from a high quality publisher has been excellent in my opinion, especially Funimation, I would rather watch their dubs instead of a sub any day of the week. While the TV channel thing is a good idea, isn't there something already like that? Animax?
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Dec 7, 2011 11:53 AM

Aug 2007
jrgcool35 said:
RamenSoup43 said:

"Dubs suck!"

Honestly I don't get the entire "dubs suck" thing anymore, thats soooooo (lol) 1970-1995. Every dub I have watched that comes from a high quality publisher has been excellent in my opinion, especially Funimation, I would rather watch their dubs instead of a sub any day of the week. While the TV channel thing is a good idea, isn't there something already like that? Animax?

Funimation isn't perfect either. No dubbing company is. Some of their voices just plain suck. When I was sick I watched their channel and goddamn the voice of Negi was awful. Viz in general has worse dubs. Bandai has some pretty good ones too but I haven't seen enough to judge it completely.
Dec 7, 2011 3:55 PM

Aug 2009
jrgcool35 said:
RamenSoup43 said:

"Dubs suck!"

1970-1995? Have you HEARD some recent dubs?
Jan 6, 2012 11:06 PM

Aug 2007
ycart59 said:
jrgcool35 said:
RamenSoup43 said:

"Dubs suck!"

1970-1995? Have you HEARD some recent dubs?

Probably not. Obviously they're not as bad as they once were but some are still bad.
Jan 7, 2012 2:27 AM

Jan 2012
Whatever,if that law passes you can bet your ass that chaos will happen shortly after
At least thats how i feel it x3
Oi?Hows going?
Im pleased that you are paying attention to my signature
Ahaha,thanks for your time,i hope you to have a perfect life
-Yanguria
Jan 8, 2012 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
i have already illegally downloaded every anime ever created and backed them up to my bank of thousands of hard drives which are stored underground in a secret location with a giant electromagnet on standby with a self destruct switch on my keychain

havent you guys?
Jan 8, 2012 10:04 PM

Jun 2009
Pocketasces said:
i have already illegally downloaded every anime ever created and backed them up to my bank of thousands of hard drives which are stored underground in a secret location with a giant electromagnet on standby with a self destruct switch on my keychain

havent you guys?

Still working on it, excavating a bunker large enough takes a while :P
Jan 9, 2012 7:05 AM

Jul 2009
The problem with paid subscriptions is that they are always missing shows, or get them very late in the season, may have subs that are awful, tend to release stuff way later then you can watch on "free" sites. Now that getting contracts for shows is not always possible, and doing it the legal way is definitely less efficient, it doesn't change the reality that paid subscriptions are subpar in many aspects.

The only "plus" is being able to see the shows in higher definition.
Jan 9, 2012 9:40 PM

Jan 2011
you have to be bullshitting me. this bill is unecessary as fuck.
this is my god damn signature.
Jan 9, 2012 11:21 PM

Jul 2011
Grimm3r said:
The problem with paid subscriptions is that they are always missing shows, or get them very late in the season, may have subs that are awful, tend to release stuff way later then you can watch on "free" sites. Now that getting contracts for shows is not always possible, and doing it the legal way is definitely less efficient, it doesn't change the reality that paid subscriptions are subpar in many aspects.

The only "plus" is being able to see the shows in higher definition.

Agreed, I pay for a sub with CR and also have Netflix. Both of these leave A LOT to be desired. This leaves pirating, it is faster, and provides few if any hassles for me. When and if improvments/innovations are provided for streaming via legal means I will definately pursue those, until then though I will find what I want to watch by any means available to me. More often than not that means pirating.

Jan 10, 2012 3:25 PM

Jan 2012
why the
holypoop said:
I don't know much about law, but shouldn't this law only affect America? So if an anime streaming or download site is located in let's say Europe or Asia, it wouldn't affect that site, right? I'm sure not all anime streaming and download sites are located in America.

Not that it matters, if that bill passes Youtube is done for so I'm screwed either way.
res way better sites to get anime then youtube
Jan 10, 2012 6:21 PM
Sep 2011
I don't live in USA so it's not a problem for me.
Jan 10, 2012 6:55 PM
Mar 2011
Gogetters said:
Even if it does passed (which it won't) we will still be able to watch anime... US laws do not apply to websites outside of the US.

SOPA will prevent people in the US from visiting certain sites and whatnot, so if site X is found to offer people free copyrighted material, a person in the US will be unable to visit it. It will not just shut down sites.

I don't think I will want to live in the US if this bill passes.
Jan 10, 2012 8:40 PM

Jun 2009
Torashito said:

Unless we try to force it on your country >:D

Joking aside, we need to come up with a less extreme way to deal with piracy. Obviously we can't since the big companies are resorting to such drastic measures.
Obviously I don't want this bill to pass, as it is absolutely ridiculous but I can't help but feel that the internet brought this upon itself. Just because a medium exists that allows us to take shit for free doesn't mean we should, and considering how widespread and above all EASY it is to pirate I can see why the companies are so worried.
Jan 11, 2012 12:07 AM

Jul 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Torashito said:

Joking aside, we need to come up with a less extreme way to deal with piracy. Obviously we can't since the big companies are resorting to such drastic measures.
Obviously I don't want this bill to pass, as it is absolutely ridiculous but I can't help but feel that the internet brought this upon itself. Just because a medium exists that allows us to take shit for free doesn't mean we should, and considering how widespread and above all EASY it is to pirate I can see why the companies are so worried.

I don't see why big companies are worried. I can see an argument for the little man, who requires every bit of profit just to survive, but the large companies backing this have nice profit margins. People still go to the movies, people still by games (especially thanks to companies like Valve), people still buy music (itunes certainly).

Realistically there is no way to stop piracy. Even assuming this bill passes, much like you have to in China, you would just use a VPN to access sites the US decides to block. If they take down a dns, you just connect via it's IP address. Imo, if more time was spent on thinking why people pirate, then addressing those problems, instead of thinking about how to censor the internet, some headway might be made.

Jan 11, 2012 1:03 AM

May 2011
Its the internet, they haven't been able to accurately monitor anything ever
And someone will always find a get around
Jan 11, 2012 1:03 AM

May 2011
/e holy lag double post
Jan 11, 2012 3:29 AM

Aug 2007
Jrittmayer said:
Torashito said:

Because they're full of shit? Piracy is not the problem. Bootlegging is.
Jan 12, 2012 2:25 AM
May 2009
The power of the Masses can always overcome any law. If the government denies its people its voice, and only heeds to the wealther corporations. Then we will just all break the law.
Jan 12, 2012 2:43 AM

Jan 2010
God, and I was actually thought that my country's law is the ridiculous one. Can we (internet users) do anything, or is it already totally resolved?
I can't believe America is trying to do something like that >.<
Jan 12, 2012 2:51 AM
Sep 2011
It's America- 'nuff said
Jan 12, 2012 4:46 AM

Dec 2010
Haven't even paid attention to this thing, honestly. So could someone give me the briefing or summation of whatever is going to happen about streaming?

szujjj said:
I can't believe America is trying to do something like that >.<

Believe it. The politics are trying to reinforce an arbitrarily existence as the "World's police" for no valid reason. It is expending resources, costing lives, and creating unnecessary hostilities. This bill is just going to create problems at home, and oh boy, will there be problems. But I'm not too worried about it. If the politicians want to be torn to pieces, I'm all for that. You know what they say, bite the hand that feeds...
Jan 12, 2012 7:12 PM
Jul 2008
Torashito said:

You should most of the big websites are based in the US can be affected by this,also they can shut down the site if there any copyright material in it. Just saying.
Jan 12, 2012 7:23 PM

Oct 2009
SoraChanLove said:
Torashito said:

You should most of the big websites are based in the US can be affected by this,also they can shut down the site if there any copyright material in it. Just saying.
Don't forget that if the US does do this, it'll be a matter of time before some other country decides to do something similar.
Jan 12, 2012 7:48 PM

Jul 2008
dfsafsaf said:
After reading this, I can only say one thing.

Have never payed for any anime I watched, manga I read or game I played and I don't think that I ever will.

I pay for animes when I have the money to do so-- especially because I wish to support the anime industry, not fill it with leechers. I don't think there is anything wrong with streaming online-- I believe most of us do that-- but what's the harm in keeping a hobby you love afloat?
Jan 12, 2012 7:52 PM
Jul 2008
Gogetters said:
SoraChanLove said:
Torashito said:

Don't forget that if the US does do this, it'll be a matter of time before some other country decides to do something similar.
They really don't care about stopping piracy, it simple they want to control the internet there just using that as a excuse so they take away free speech and ruined the net for everyone not just in the USA it worldwide. It all about greens and control.
HellobeeJan 12, 2012 8:09 PM
Jan 12, 2012 9:40 PM

Aug 2007
Vegeance said:
I'll just start with the principles.

People want entertainment, convenience and things for free.
Evidence : Software downloaded are cracked. Forums have thousands of archives of links to third-party sharing websites. Torrents are ubiquitous. The person next to you who has an iTunes library of whatever x amount of songs probably didn't buy them all.

People do make excuses to not buy shit.
Evidence : The subs suck. The dubs suck. The quality is inferior. There is DRM. I hate this online-content verification. Its not simulcasted. Why stream some lulz 360p?
Arguement Reasonability : Somewhat
Origin of Problem : Difficulties with modernizing copyright-shit systems into the digital age; "country-ownership/licensing/land-vs-air ownership, etc"; "I want it now mentality"

Common Perspective : If company, f' the company. They are rich. And most profits don't go to original creators anyways. If small man with small business, then it must be good to support em'.

Presumably ideal situation : Team of X makes Y product, Y is directly sold on a platform Z with 5-10% cuts or less to direct audience. Or sum of all access to Y products, with a low monthly cost.

Do people want to buy X (shit)?
Mostly no. A few do. Some might, if given the option.

Does it hurt the company's sales?
Of course it reduces the amount of profit received (if its popular, i.e. video game).
Its effects might be negligible with small company/audience.
But assuming if it's good, more profit will be gained anyways. Because of popularity.
If it sucks shit, well too bad for them.
If anime->small audience->typically not seen by people outside of japan, then what is so bad about bringing it overseas?

If X does not exist for Y population, and only for Z population, Y population downloading X on remote websites does (nothing) to any C company that hosts X product for Z population.

It doesn't hurt any profit if the person who downloaded never intended on buying the product in the first place.
Jan 13, 2012 4:24 AM
Dec 2010
Oh, the USA. You're becoming more and more like the wretched, undemocratic, dictatorial, supressing, evil Chinese government that you seem to dislike so much...

How Ironic!
Jan 13, 2012 10:26 PM

Oct 2011
Well I now one thing for sure! If this does get passed I know that I'll try my best to find or creat ways/loopholes around this bullshit and I'm sure that a lot of other like minded people will do the same. It's bc the us is paranoid of the public and they know the power of the Internet, but rest assured They will not stop us. Living in the USA is starting to suck. The system is way to screwed up for any sorta progress to exzist any more. The only way to fix things is to go back to the old. Well that's my oppinipn anyway
EUREKAvSEVEN.png
Jan 17, 2012 11:09 PM
Jan 18, 2012 6:01 PM

Feb 2010
Look, I do enjoy watching and reading free anime and manga. Still I do pay for the good stuff when I can. This is how I find out about a number of titles. Still this bill goes farther then just censoring free speech. It will shut down more businesses then I care to count. The US economy is still recovering. We just cannot afford to let this bill pass.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.