Forum Settings
Forums

Do high school anime begin to lose their appeal after you graduate high school yourself?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Dec 9, 2011 10:26 PM

Anime_Name said:
SecretAgent194 said:
Well the fact that the settings are Japanese high schools which are drastically different from American ones means that it never really related with most of us in the first place setting-wise.

It's high school. Relating to the similarities such as classes, teachers, homework, sports, responsibility, friends, and various nearly universal teen problems is pretty damn easy. If you can empathize or relate to a talking donkey or rabbit then finding similarities and relating to high school issues from another country can't be too hard.

True. But I guess it all depends on whether or not you enjoyed high school. Although I assume that people here can't relate to high school anime as much since they are either still in high school or are just starting. I'm just assuming btw. Anyways, usually most people would tend to relate to hs anime when you've either just graduated or are just starting college or university.

Dec 9, 2011 10:29 PM

I still enjoy high school a lot, it is supposed to be the best moment in our life. I'm 22 and I still prefer watching high school based anime. Also, since I'm not from Japan, the high school life is different from mine and it looks interesting. Seems more lively I would say because there are more events in a year.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell

Dec 10, 2011 1:13 AM

Innoxious said:
I still enjoy high school a lot, it is supposed to be the best moment in our life. I'm 22 and I still prefer watching high school based anime. Also, since I'm not from Japan, the high school life is different from mine and it looks interesting. Seems more lively I would say because there are more events in a year.

I wonder what high school is like in Japan? XD

Dec 10, 2011 2:11 AM

It's a slight minus as there are really too many of it.

Dec 10, 2011 2:32 AM

I certainly hope it won't loose it's appeal. It probably won't though considering the schooling in Japan/Anime is extremely different to over here anyway which is what is so great about it because it's so different/better.

Dec 10, 2011 2:40 AM

I don't think so. I still watch some high school anime in the 20s.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Dec 10, 2011 2:45 AM
Im 27 years old and i became a fan when i was 10 and regardless of genre, i still enjoy animes that appeal to me. Hell, i enjoy nurse angel and that takes place in elementary school

Dec 10, 2011 3:21 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Vinter said:
This would assume a level of self-identification with the characters of a high school anime. That you would then lose when you are no longer in high school yourself.
But anime isn't even close to real school life in the slightest, so there's nothing to identify with.

It's like wondering if Hollywood action movies lack appeal if you're not a hard-boiled cop, or a highly trained ultraspy.

What are you on about? Nichijou brought back lots of memories for me, I remember the days I used to ride to school on a goat, I also remember the robot girl who had a talking cat, and the girl who use to bring a large variety of deadly weapons to school, they were some good times.

Dec 10, 2011 4:30 AM

mitch3315 said:
Vinter said:
This would assume a level of self-identification with the characters of a high school anime. That you would then lose when you are no longer in high school yourself.
But anime isn't even close to real school life in the slightest, so there's nothing to identify with.

It's like wondering if Hollywood action movies lack appeal if you're not a hard-boiled cop, or a highly trained ultraspy.

What are you on about? Nichijou brought back lots of memories for me, I remember the days I used to ride to school on a goat, I also remember the robot girl who had a talking cat, and the girl who use to bring a large variety of deadly weapons to school, they were some good times.

vinter's attempting to sound smart, he actually has no idea what he is talking about.
Tea and bickies with the Bold and the Beautiful

Dec 10, 2011 5:13 AM
i thought about that too.. but it didnt affect that much..
im 19 and still watching HS animes.but not every HS anime now.

Dec 10, 2011 6:10 AM
Sanji Fangirl

No, i still like to watch high school anime.

Dec 10, 2011 6:35 AM

Huh, interesting theread ya got there. Well I would have to say that, that really depends. If it is a romance or perhaps something like clannad then yes. But when it comes to something thats a pysch anime, then no, not so much.

All depends on the tone.

Dec 10, 2011 6:53 AM

My highschool experience was so radically different from anything I ever see in anime, that it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it kind of helps that I'm a bit older. I can appreciate the setting and not be depressed about the fact that my own school is so dull in comparison.

Dec 10, 2011 11:21 AM

Zentasu said:
i thought about that too.. but it didnt affect that much..
im 19 and still watching HS animes.but not every HS anime now.

Now? So did you watch every HS anime before you were 19?
I doubt it.

Dec 10, 2011 11:23 AM
SmugCat

I'm 20 and work full time, and I still like high school anime as much as I ever did. Nothing really changes lol.

Dec 10, 2011 11:32 AM

To be honest, I didn't really like High School anime until I hit 35 and realised that I would be a lonely virgin for the rest of my life... from that point onwards, I've watched High School harem anime almost exclusively.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 10, 2011 3:09 PM

FuzzyStormz said:
I'm wondering if people continue watching school-life anime into their 20's. I'm currently in high school myself, so I can't offer much in personal experience :p

I am in my 30s and I watch high school anime or anime series that take place in highschools. Mainly because harem is my favorite genre and a majority of harem anime seem to involve schools.

Dec 10, 2011 3:14 PM

I have finished high-school quite a long time now but i have to say that high-school in anime gets tiring not because it's a distant memory(besides my high-school life had nothing to do with anime high-school life) but because it's overused.

As i said before, by watching anime you get the feeling the only interesting part in a Japanese person's life is in school and that everyone over 20-25 is suddenly old.

Dec 10, 2011 5:42 PM
I was never really into to whole High School setting... I've seen a few, but most don't really appeal to me. But if the overall plot is good, then it doesn't really matter what the setting is, right?
To read is to make an image, when in a hurry or lazy read manga (the image is already there)

Dec 10, 2011 7:10 PM

0_0 Tell you when I get there. *Graduating this year*

But I'm pretty sure I'll still love it even after I graduate. ^_^
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!

Dec 10, 2011 7:35 PM

I'm 22 and have been out of high school for a few years now, but will still watch stuff with a high school setting. I don't think it lost its appeal at all.

Dec 10, 2011 8:57 PM
Altogether, i enjoy school shows anime or not. I still get a kick out of boy meets world, saved by the bell, and the original power rangers. They all take place in school

Dec 10, 2011 9:06 PM
I'm 23 and I still enjoy high school anime when they're well done. I've soured on them a bit over time, but that's more due to the sheer number of high school anime that exist than the fact that I'm no longer in high school.

Dec 10, 2011 9:34 PM
i think although we have graduated, we won't forget our high shool time and will miss their high school time, beacuse school's time is better than after graduated's time.
all adults said like that

so i think, watching high school anime will make us to remember our high school time agan

Dec 11, 2011 2:48 PM

I didn't enjoy my high school time, mostly because we had a lot of bullies in our class, and maybe that's why I love to watch high school setting because it is a lot different from my time in high school

Dec 11, 2011 2:54 PM

Well I am in my second year of university now and high school anime still holds as great an appeal as it ever did. When my friends all decided on their universities, we became seperated by quite long distances, but watching slice of life animes kinda makes me remember the good times, and all the time we spent just talking about nothing in particular and how much fun we had. So yeah, high school animes are kind of associated with good memories for me.

Dec 11, 2011 6:08 PM

I just finished college/school and I've lose interest in high school animes so I try to avoid them because they bore me to be honest :P, but if something's good I'll watch it anyway, like Clannad and Clannad AS for example :)

Dec 11, 2011 6:24 PM

No, I actually like them even more since I can say stuff like "hey, I've seen that kind of drama before," or "man, I wish I could have taken that kind of class."

Dec 11, 2011 6:48 PM
Hmm, no idea. I'm graduating this year but I highly doubt high-school based animes will lose their appeal. On the other hand, with the advent of quick commercialization of plane-and-paper thin plots, with archetypical (sell-proof) characters as an industrial standard...

I usually watch anime just to kill time. I don't really expect a serious plot; although each to their own, I would say.

Jan 4, 2012 12:52 PM

No, no and no. I like watching it even though I'm not a high school student anymore.
Kiss me. Experience the sweet sweet taste of heaven.

Jan 9, 2012 6:35 AM

Yes, I always try to avoid any anime that is focused on school, where the whole episode takes place INSIDE THE SCHOOL. Just no.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jan 9, 2012 6:50 AM

I graduated last year. Not too much time, but I still like high school related anime. They are so amusing.

Jan 9, 2012 6:59 AM

Midori-tan said:
Yes, I always try to avoid any anime that is focused on school, where the whole episode takes place INSIDE THE SCHOOL. Just no.

No, you don't. You watched the first episode of Highschool DxD.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]