Forum Settings
Forums

Statistics of Anime Fans: What's So Special About K-ON?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

Nov 26, 2011 4:44 AM

I know a lot of people think K-ON! is overrated. Perhaps a little, but nevertheless I always enjoyed watching every episode, dispite the plotlessness.

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here

Nov 26, 2011 5:04 AM
Interesting... the reason why I like K-ON is because of how lazily they are hunting their dream. Reminds of myself and makes me want to be less lazy than them and actually do things =P

Nov 26, 2011 5:41 AM

I'm more amazed by the 10% women liking Strike Witches than the 37% liking K-ON.

On another note, I hope this Ascii Research Institute they speak about does not use public funds, since this "study" was a waste of resources.

Nov 26, 2011 5:56 AM

ringoo4 said:
The part that is even more interesting for me is actually how many males actually watch Kuroshitsuki even with tons of BL vibe. :D

Well, at the end of the day, it's still an action series printed in a shonen magazine. It's going to have a somewhat big-sized male fanbase.

Nov 26, 2011 5:59 AM

undead_blopa said:
I'm more amazed by the 10% women liking Strike Witches than the 37% liking K-ON.

On another note, I hope this Ascii Research Institute they speak about does not use public funds, since this "study" was a waste of resources.

Chances are they use company funds not taxpayers money.

Not surprised K-ON is liked by both genders, K-ON is for everyone.

Nov 26, 2011 6:02 AM

Well, this is interesting. to know what people like.

Nov 26, 2011 6:25 AM

ringoo4 said:
No-one outraged.

jpp8 said:
Woah. Hold up. Only otaku and other such anime watchers watched Madoka? What's even more, Strike Witches had a larger "general" audience? I thought those 50,000+ BD sales meant that Madoka was amongst those as well. This is a huge shock if the study is to be trusted.

"The results of this survey are different from my hypothesis; therefore, the survey must be inaccurate!"

Fingerfood said:
I found myself to be more interested in the Madoka statistics. I mean, if they actually got the stat that NO ONE only watched Madoka and no other anime then I'd be surprised. I'm hoping it was just a very small percentage and thus wasn't the effort to put it on the graph. Still, they should have showed a sliver just so it's not misleading.

Like it makes a difference.

I wasn't even refering to your comment when I said Madoka fans were outraged, although I think your ultra-defensive response says enough. As opposed to something like this:

Dudewitbow said:
suprised that no one given whatever poll did not only watch madoka at all, being such a hotseller as it was sales wise

I think this is a much more reasonable, balanced analysis.

Though, now that you mention it:

ringoo4 said:
All Shaft series has to be Otaku centered, even more than Kyoani unlike many will believe. It is pretty obvious that Madoka Magica can't appeal to female when it has Mamiru incident, and the reason that MadoMagi gave larger impression was how it broken unspoken but critical rule that all Mahou Shoujo series have - and this impression can only meet when viewer "knows" other series with this genre.

1. Quite the presumption you're making there bro.

2. What is this "unspoken but critical" rule you are talking about?

3. It doesn't exactly take a genius to work out that shows about teenage girls with magical powers do not normally feature the sort of content that Madoka does.

ringoo4 said:
I doubt you are reading the same thing as I did, or you are just doing 'usual bitching of Madoka fandom' here.

Actually, I was just stating my opinion on the results of the poll and the responses in this thread. Though if I had wanted to bitch about the Madoka fandom and listen to their indignant whining when faced with the possibility that not everyone shares their adoration for it, I would probably have gone elsewhere -perhaps a thread that is actually about 'Madoka' rather than 'K-ON!!'- and stated my grievances there.

I also find it interesting that you were quick to pick up on my vaguely disparaging remarks about Madoka and condemn me for 'bitching', yet you didn't seem to notice another, considerably more explicit ones:

ideoidiom said:
K-ON reminds the female otakus of the high school life they could have had.

ringoo4 said:
Madoka Magica cannot be understood fully when it is not watched by Otaku. K-On, however, has no need for that. So? Why does this make Madoka fan like me 'rage'? People who make me rage is person like you who is so ignorant that cannot read any post clearly.

I am sorry, I can only really understand people when they use grammar correctly.

Though if I may say so, I think the problem is you are reading too much into some things... and not enough into others.

ringoo4 said:
Edited: oh, and hey there. I was talking about 'NORMAL OTAKU', not 'NORMAL PEOPLE'.

You see, you are making the assumption I was responding to you directly. If I wanted to do that, I would have quoted you.

undead_blopa said:

The biggest fans of Strike Witches I know are women. In fact, had it not been for them I probably wouldn't have watched it. There is much more to it than the fact the characters do not wear any pants; the episode storylines are creative and fairly original (find me another ecchi anime that you can say that about) and the whole show is a lot of fun.
Modified by AnnoKano, Nov 26, 2011 6:33 AM
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Nov 26, 2011 7:37 AM

XxshizxX said:
Because people likes music and bands.

I agree.
...Hah lol I'm not surprised to find out that most of Kuroshitsuji watchers are women.

Nov 26, 2011 8:13 AM

ringoo4 said:
GodlyKyon said:
ringoo4 said:
GodlyKyon said:
I'm pretty sure majority of madoka fans are "normal" otakus
There is no 'normal' otakus...

Never mind

I mean type A, if it's the type that watches for story,
Oh yes... So you might read Senkaku complex... I just say that SO--CALLED distinguishing factor of different... NON-existing TYPES of otaku is absolute bullshit. What's funny? You call 'type A' otaku is 'NORMAL'. Oh, then why type B isn't? You obviously have 'no-grasp' of being 'normal otaku' is.

Forget what I said.
Modified by GodlyKyon, Nov 26, 2011 8:19 AM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys

Nov 26, 2011 8:18 AM

I'm happy for its success, but that same success started the moeblob era. Quality anime is getting rarer with every year.

Nov 26, 2011 8:27 AM

fri said:
I'm happy for its success, but that same success started the moeblob era. Quality anime is getting rarer with every year.

This is what some people actually think.

K-ON aired during a year where anime was at it's stalest; sales were at their poorest in over 10 years; moe was hardly a new concept.

Whereas now, in 2011, which is quite possibly the best year of anime we have had in the past decade (2006/07 was nice too), the sheer amount of "quality" and non-pandering anime series has increased drastically.

Heck, some of the best titles this year were heavily moe: Madoka, AnoHana, Usagi Drop, Steins;Gate, Kaiji...

Nov 26, 2011 8:32 AM
On the Case

Moe is not a genre!!

Nov 26, 2011 8:36 AM

Yep, young girls are into the animation and the tenacity of others to start up a light music club.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.

Nov 26, 2011 8:42 AM
mangimewhite said:
K-ON! happens to be my all time favourite anime. I'm happy to see this news (/) d[(^_^)]b (/)

One of my favourites too.

I love the anime: the characters, the story and the music. A great mix that makes a great anime.

Nov 26, 2011 9:11 AM

What's so Special about K-ON ?
Nothing. :|

Nov 26, 2011 9:57 AM

I only love K-ON for the music and also Mio :P
How to Watch Naruto Without Fille (Complete)r: http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Find me on Final Fantasy XIV! IGN: Zaiga Heart (Aether Data Center - Siren Server)

Nov 26, 2011 10:00 AM

so... i guess that makes me a minority for having abondoned it before i even got through the opening becuase i couldnt bear watching any longer?

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫

Nov 26, 2011 10:17 AM

Neverarine said:
so... i guess that makes me a minority for having abondoned it before i even got through the opening becuase i couldnt bear watching any longer?

You're lucky you did that.

Nov 26, 2011 11:00 AM

no idea. I'm watching it to see what all the hype is about and haven't figured out anything. -.-

Nov 26, 2011 11:02 AM

fri said:

If K-On! wouldn't start it, than some other would do the same.
I'm fine with it as K-On! is quite good in comparison with other abominations that followed it (but that's normal everywhere). But it sales and it's made. And to be honest as for now being entertaining if more important for me than quality :3

And I liked the chart - come on! I would add some show that will generate hype (usualy by Shaft) and some visual novel adaptation - and we will have full service.

BTW they don't write what was the population tested or how did they get it? So for now it's just curiosity and not research :)

Nov 26, 2011 11:23 AM

Since about 80% of the Madoka Magica fans I know are female, I was surprised to see that according to the graph only 30% of watchers were female.
Very interesting.

Nov 26, 2011 11:23 AM
AnnoKano said:
jpp8 said:
Woah. Hold up. Only otaku and other such anime watchers watched Madoka? What's even more, Strike Witches had a larger "general" audience? I thought those 50,000+ BD sales meant that Madoka was amongst those as well. This is a huge shock if the study is to be trusted.

"The results of this survey are different from my hypothesis; therefore, the survey must be inaccurate!"
Woah there bra. Let's back the fuck up from the conclusion you jumped to for a second and reanalyze my shit. I don't see any explicit statement dismissing the study as incorrect, do you? Just doubts cast on the integrity of this study considering that other relevant numbers and characteristics seem to suggest different conclusions. I posted that in the hopes that someone would be able to reaffirm the conclusions drawn from this study in a way that I can view the surveyor as trustworthy, not to detract from the study and its conclusion by putting into question the conclusions drawn

Since then, I realized that this survey was exclusively geared toward fans of the anime K-ON! Taking that into account, I find it much more believable that those who watch K-ON! and Madoka are likely to watch other anime as well. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that female K-ON! fans can enjoy Strike Witches as well, but w/e.

fri said:

Anime is, has been, and will always continue to be shit. Before 2000, there were only a handful of shows that "anime fans" considered "good". Ever since then, there was always the same concentration of "good shows" every single year with a notable number of "shit". The only difference between now and then is that now you have charts to look at what's coming up next season and are thus able to judge a show as "shit" without even watching it, while then, you only watched and talked about "good" anime without even knowing how much "shit" was airing at the same time.
Modified by jigglyppuff8, Nov 26, 2011 11:29 AM

Nov 26, 2011 11:37 AM

jpp8 said:
Woah there bra. Let's back the fuck up from the conclusion you jumped to for a second and reanalyze my shit. I don't see any explicit statement dismissing the study as incorrect, do you?

True enough,. but you were still criticising the survey based on its results, rather than how it was executed- weren't you?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Nov 26, 2011 11:39 AM
AnnoKano said:
jpp8 said:
Woah there bra. Let's back the fuck up from the conclusion you jumped to for a second and reanalyze my shit. I don't see any explicit statement dismissing the study as incorrect, do you?

True enough,. but you were still criticising the survey based on its results, rather than how it was executed- weren't you?
Yeah, that was wrong of me and I see it now.

Nov 26, 2011 2:33 PM

jpp8 said:

MAL had an article a while back about otakus being responsible for a large (relatively, given how few there are) percentage of Blu-Ray sales, and that they spend a large percentage of their income on things like that. Given how taken the otaku community was by Madoka, I'm not that suprised by that 50k sales number.

Nov 26, 2011 2:47 PM

don't forget the music from K-ON! is also covered by popular musicians, which opens a bigger audience, not so much just the target audience.

Nov 26, 2011 2:53 PM
>Age distribution chart for men who watch k-on peeks at about 25~30
Ahahahahaha. That's some funny conclusion.

Nov 26, 2011 2:56 PM

AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:
No-one outraged.

jpp8 said:

If you seriously think it is raging, lol. You really have some tinted lens there. Why does it suddenly becomes 'RAGING', when someone is just questioning reliability of the survey when result isn't something they expected. It is reaction that is just perfectly normal, I just don't know how did you find him to be mindless Madoka fandom.

Outraging is something called this;.

"THIS SURVEY IS FUCKIN BULLSHIT!!! MADOKA SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST AND IT AS TO BE BATTLER THEN K-ON!!!"

Though if I may say so, I think the problem is you are reading too much into some things... and not enough into others.
Well, sorry for my grammar first. It is not my first language. Second, looking too much into something might look silly, but it has its worth. It is better than outraging at least.

Nov 26, 2011 2:57 PM

ShiroiRyu said:
What's so Special about K-ON ?
Nothing. :|

Kyoto Animation made it and wanted it to be successful.

Detective said:
Moe is not a genre!!

Even better. It's an element in anime. Changing the industry so much by changing one of the elements is bigger than changing an industry to shift to a certai genre.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys

Nov 26, 2011 4:48 PM

ringoo4 said:
If you seriously think it is raging, lol.

You really have some tinted lens there. Why does it suddenly becomes 'RAGING', when someone is just questioning reliability of the survey when result isn't something they expected. It is reaction that is just perfectly normal, I just don't know how did you find him to be mindless Madoka fandom.

To question the validity of a survey -something based upon empirical evidence- because it is not allign with your own expectations -which are entirely subjective- is a clear demonstration of bias. Something which jp8 himself has acknowledged.

There are plenty of criticisms one could offer this, or almost any other survey: The subjective nature of the categories ("casual viewer" lacks precision); small sample size; age, location and gender distribution of those polled. These are all valid questions that you could ask about this survey and could demonstrate it lacks reliability.

But to suggest that it is wrong because it fails to match up with your expectations -particularly when your expectations are not based on empirical evidence- is absurd.

ringoo4 said:

"THIS SURVEY IS FUCKIN BULLSHIT!!! MADOKA SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST AND IT AS TO BE BATTLER THEN K-ON!!!"

I provided an example quotation from this very thread expressing a similar point of view, albeit in a reasonable manner.

Well, sorry for my grammar first. It is not my first language. Second, looking too much into something might look silly, but it has its worth. It is better than outraging at least.

I can't say I see the worth in being overly self-concious and paranoid, but if you insist that there is, then I will leave you to it. Although I must warn you that many -including myself- would consider such behaviour outrag[eous].

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Nov 26, 2011 5:22 PM

AnnoKano said:
To question the validity of a survey -something based upon empirical evidence- because it is not allign with your own expectations -which are entirely subjective- is a clear demonstration of bias. Something which jp8 himself has acknowledged.

There are plenty of criticisms one could offer this, or almost any other survey: The subjective nature of the categories ("casual viewer" lacks precision); small sample size; age, location and gender distribution of those polled. These are all valid questions that you could ask about this survey and could demonstrate it lacks reliability.

But to suggest that it is wrong because it fails to match up with your expectations -particularly when your expectations are not based on empirical evidence- is absurd.
I don't think it is absurd at all. People question when things don't match with what they think. It is just so natural, especially with fandom, I don't even think it is criticism material. I also do questioning all the time when poll does not meet with expectation - when accepting - I try to find out possible flaws or reasons that lead to the wrong expectation.

At the end, the reason that people can actually call this data - WRONG- is solely due to the fact it is 'survey'. If it wasn't, that post was not even there at all.

AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:

I provided an example quotation from this very thread expressing a similar point of view, albeit in a reasonable manner.
"Outraging" conveys "emotion". Wrong reasoning is 'product' of 'outraging emotion'. The post you mentioned, had tone that is definitely not up to the point of raging and it looked like just questioning the validity of the poll. When yourself can call it 'silly', it is definitely not outrageous.

The term 'raging' is one of the most repetitively used criticism for any fandom, but it is definitely not suiting with this thread.

Nov 26, 2011 6:02 PM

Interesting Statistics.

Nov 26, 2011 6:05 PM

WHAT is so special about K-on? Oh god, noone will even point to that poor maniac of k-on to get 3D girl who plays rock music, because they are hardly in supply. You can be born and die with this self assurance, dont worry bout that.

Nov 26, 2011 6:37 PM

"What's So Special About K-ON?"
Simple. It's has better moe than Haruhi and 2009 is a worse year for the anime industry than 2006.

Oh, it has more cake and music too ^^
The threat is stronger than the execution.

Nov 26, 2011 6:53 PM

AnnoKano said:
Fingerfood said:
I found myself to be more interested in the Madoka statistics. I mean, if they actually got the stat that NO ONE only watched Madoka and no other anime then I'd be surprised. I'm hoping it was just a very small percentage and thus wasn't the effort to put it on the graph. Still, they should have showed a sliver just so it's not misleading.

Like it makes a difference.

I wasn't even refering to your comment when I said Madoka fans were outraged, although I think your ultra-defensive response says enough. As opposed to something like this:

I didn't think you were referring to my comment.

As for my "ultra-defensive response", I intended it more to be critical of the poll's authenticity, as I believe that stat is absurd if they asked the general populace (Given Madoka's enormous fan base, I'm sure someone would tell their non-anime watching friend or someone randomly saw Madoka and wanted to watch it), or the poll is useless if they asked a specific set of people.

I can see how you'd take it as ultra-defensive though, given I did in fact give Madoka a 10. That was because I think it has some of the best quality, especially for a TV anime, and not because I'm a die hard fan who loves it to death like some fans I've seen or heard of.

EDIT: Also, given some of your other statements claiming those who question survey's validity have some amount of bias, that may be true. However, let me pose an example. I hate Death Note. Regardless it's still the most popular anime here on MAL as well as being one of the top rated. If Death Note replaced Madoka in these statistics I would be saying the same statement, if not being even more critical and judging on the poll's legitimacy, simply due to the fact that it is the most popular here on MAL. Basically, although bias may come into play, I, and others, am basing our doubts upon statistics and facts, not solely upon whether we liked a show or not.
Modified by Fingerfood, Nov 26, 2011 7:04 PM
Fingerfood.png Fingerfood.png

Nov 26, 2011 7:31 PM

Most people I know that watch it are my male teenage friends. However, my younger sister and brother watch it and really enjoy it as well. I absolutely love the series - 16 male. That's the common demographic for who watches it. And most people I know who do watch it either don't watch a lot of anime, or watch a crapton of anime. I just can't wait for the movie - December 3rd!
Take his BED.

Nov 26, 2011 8:14 PM

I'm probably the only one who LOLs at the idea of having ~30ish% of Kuroshitsuji fans being male xD
sure it runs in a shounen magazine, but we all know Sebastian's the one that attracts the ladies

Nov 26, 2011 8:33 PM

Interesting, but somewhat expected, especially the Madoka stats.

Nov 26, 2011 9:02 PM

well i was planning watchig k-on anyway soon, but noth the other 2 animes, strike witches and madoka somthing.

Nov 26, 2011 9:05 PM

This thread actually motivated me to re-watch K-on. Maybe I'll like it better now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Nov 27, 2011 12:17 AM

Ew, I don't like that chart of the ages of K-ON fans. The 3-D just makes it harder to read. It shows the peak male age of about 24, but it could easily look like 30 if you look at it wrong.

Fingerfood, it is just a random sample. It may be a small sample size as well, which would make it less accurate. And how they gathered the data could be flawed too (like if they just randomly asked people to take part in a survey about anime, people who watch it frequently are more likely to agree to take the survey than those that don't). In fact, I'd bet it is flawed in methodology in some way.

It doesn't mean there aren't people who have watched Madoka but don't watch anime frequently. In statistics, you'll actually get more varied results (variance) with things that occur infrequently. So if 1 in 100 people who have seen Madoka are people who would say they don't watch anime frequently, there's actually a 36.6% chance that a survey of 100 people won't find any such person that says that.

I'd guess there are 2 major factors at work in this statistic of what percentage of people who have seen a particular anime are frequent anime watchers. Those 2 factors are the overall popularity of the anime, and time it's been in existence (or how long it has been popular). A popular anime starts to draw the infrequent anime watchers. Their proportion increases over time. Frequent watchers are the first ones to see it, so only dwindle over time. If it never is popular, it never really spreads to the infrequent watchers.

Just by looking at their anime pages, I see Kuroshitsuji and K-On are a bit older and are near the top in popularity, so that explains the comparatively high % of infrequent anime watchers that have seen those. Strike Witches 2 is a bit newer, but not nearly as popular, which may explain the low %. And Modoka is in between in popularity, but still pretty new. I'd bet that in a few years that Modaka passes Strike Witches in that percentage.

Nov 27, 2011 3:30 AM

ringoo4 said:
I don't think it is absurd at all.

Well it is.

ringoo4 said:
People question when things don't match with what they think. It is just so natural, especially with fandom, I don't even think it is criticism material.

Well it is.

ringoo4 said:
I also do questioning all the time when poll does not meet with expectation - when accepting - I try to find out possible flaws or reasons that lead to the wrong expectation.

When you have no legitimate grounds to dismiss the poll (which you don't), you should assume you are the one that is wrong.

ringoo4 said:
At the end, the reason that people can actually call this data - WRONG- is solely due to the fact it is 'survey'. If it wasn't, that post was not even there at all.

Surveys cannot be wrong, which is precisely why people arguing about it is funny.

ringoo4 said:
"Outraging" conveys "emotion". Wrong reasoning is 'product' of 'outraging emotion'. The post you mentioned, had tone that is definitely not up to the point of raging and it looked like just questioning the validity of the poll. When yourself can call it 'silly', it is definitely not outrageous.

What is and is not 'outrageous' is entirely open to interpretation. I interpreted that way because of poor reasoning on the part of people of this thread, and defensive reactions about Madoka.

ringoo4 said:
The term 'raging' is one of the most repetitively used criticism for any fandom, but it is definitely not suiting with this thread.

Who am I criticising here?

The people who responded to this thread in an unreasonable manner, or Madoka fans in general?

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Nov 27, 2011 4:11 AM

^... You must look back to your first post, as I'm constantly saying.
AnnoKano said:
Though I have to say, the replies to this thread are pretty hillarious. Especially those from outraged Madoka fans, and from those who think a show like K-ON!! could only appeal to lonely guys.
ESPECIALLY those from MADOKA FANS... >_> What do you expect more? You suddenly determined that the all the so called 'flawed' comments from your standard is especially worse when it is spoken by 'MADOKA FANS', without any ground knowledge whether those people are actually a fan or not. That is called generalisation.
Modified by ringoo4, Nov 27, 2011 4:20 AM

Nov 27, 2011 4:37 AM

ringoo4 said:
^... You must look back to your first post, as I'm constantly saying.
AnnoKano said:
Though I have to say, the replies to this thread are pretty hillarious. Especially those from outraged Madoka fans, and from those who think a show like K-ON!! could only appeal to lonely guys.
ESPECIALLY those from MADOKA FANS... >_> What do you expect more? You suddenly determined that the all the so called 'flawed' comments from your standard is especially worse when it is spoken by 'MADOKA FANS', without any ground knowledge whether those people are actually a fan or not. That is called generalisation.

AnnoKano said:

AnnoKano said:
Though I have to say, the replies to this thread are pretty hillarious. Especially those from outraged Madoka fans

AnnoKano said:
the replies to this thread are pretty hillarious. Especially those from outraged Madoka fans

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Nov 27, 2011 4:38 AM

jmal said:
It's all kind of moot. I have no doubt there is massive overlap between the K-ON! and Madoka fanbases, especially in Japan, and doubly so when it comes to people who bought the BDs (like me, I own both). Westerners fighting over Otaku Show A vs Otaky Show B are wasting their time. People did the same shit when it was Bake and K-ON! even though I'd bet anything a huge percentage of people were buying both.
That's why I think specific mentioning of any fanbase isn't...... good.

When there is really nothing wrong with anything that AnnoKano said about the flaws of questioning survey and things (I'm not really good with all those fallacy things anyway, so I merely posted refute for the sake of... refuting I guess.), the only thing I just can't stand how he thinks he did no attack to Madoka fandom when I clearly see it in the response...

Edited: @Anno: Yes. You bolded the part that I was mentioning, except the Madoka fan part, which is probably the most important one... And?

Nov 27, 2011 4:43 AM

ringoo4 said:

Edited: @Anno: Yes. You bolded the part that I was mentioning, except the Madoka fan part, which is probably the most important one... And?

It means I wasn't attacking "all Madoka fans"; just the ones who posted outraged responses to this thread.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Nov 27, 2011 4:51 AM

AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:

It means I wasn't attacking "all Madoka fans"; just the ones who posted outraged responses to this thread.
Yes you were not. But you were saying that Madoka fans are the one who are outraged... That's the point.

Your definition of outraged was... I guess this;
poor reasoning on the part of people of this thread, and defensive reactions about Madoka.

First, including you and me, no-one knows whether it is Madoka fans that posted questions to survey and showed poor logics. No-one in this thread revealed their fandom to Madoka before the first post you made... Second, questioning the survey due to not meeting the expectation does not necessarily mean it is being defensive, at least for me. Third, 'especially' is the word that is specialised in 'targeting'. That's all I guess...

Nov 27, 2011 5:34 AM

ringoo4 said:
First, including you and me, no-one knows whether it is Madoka fans that posted questions to survey and showed poor logics. No-one in this thread revealed their fandom to Madoka before the first post you made... Second, questioning the survey due to not meeting the expectation does not necessarily mean it is being defensive, at least for me. Third, 'especially' is the word that is specialised in 'targeting'. That's all I guess...

God, you just don't stop digging yourself in deeper, do you?

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Nov 27, 2011 6:48 AM

AnnoKano said:
ringoo4 said:

God, you just don't stop digging yourself in deeper, do you?
:/... So? What's your problem? What made you believe that Madoka fans are 'especially' 'outraged'? Just can't believe how you can say to me 'dig myself deeper' when there is absolutely no reason to even mention 'Madoka fan' when you were truly not biased about that fandom.
Modified by ringoo4, Nov 27, 2011 6:53 AM

Nov 27, 2011 12:47 PM

jmal said:
EmperorH3ctor said:
[Statistics is a lot of work. Trust me, I took it last year in college and loved it. One thing for sure is that statistics is a mathematical science--meaning this is not made up.

Right, statistics are generally not made up, the question comes down to whether the inquire was designed well. How big a sample size, how representative or random, how were the questions worded, blah blah.

Anyway it's not like this should be taken as absolute 100% representative truth, but then it's just a survey about some anime... but the idea that women could like K-ON! shouldn't be shocking to anyone who is actually familiar with K-ON!'s content (and not just their trololol preconceptions of it).

As one who's focus was statistics, it is a lot of work. But at the same time you can bias the data so it can be skewed. For it to be truely unbiased, they poll needed to have a minumum of 320 (I forget the exact number) from a cross-section of those polled. That alone is a lot of work. Then add to it questions that don't show any biasness.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »