Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2008 8:03 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was certainly an interesting episode, not only due to the area which it explored but also because of the decision made by Ryoko in the end. I like how the supernatural events in this series are grounded, at least to some extent, in actual theories and science such as the genetic engineering in this episode. It provides for a more stable and interesting story than just throwing out over the top cases so as to allow for action (which episode 2 got a bit too close to doing).

Not only was the writing for the case this episode quite good, but the tension between Ryoko and Izumida continues to be fun to watch. From Izumida being forced to drive in the beginning of the episode to his attempt to please Ryoko by knowing what is expected of him prior to being informed with the drinks at the end he just can't seem to catch a break. Yet Ryoko's cold, hardened exterior was cracked a bit at the end of the episode when she couldn't bring herself to shoot the "organism" and was protected by Izumida. One certainly has to wonder however if her decision would've been the same had it not only had a short amount of time left to live...
Aug 2, 2008 9:42 PM
Sep 2007
this ep reminded me of The X-Files. that alien looking child scared the hell out of me. O_O
Aug 2, 2008 10:50 PM

Jan 2007
an ok episode for me. i still love the interaction between Izumida and Ryoko but the whole story was meh for me. frankly, i just wasn't interested in it.
Aug 2, 2008 10:59 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I found the pace of the story a bit meh... the material weirded me out, though, I have to admit. I both sympathized with the woman, and thought she was psycho.

Probably my least favorite episode so far. Hopefully next will be better :)
Aug 3, 2008 12:43 AM

Mar 2007
Nice episode, though I liked the last one better. My favorite thing continues to be the Izumida/Ryoko relationship.

I also laughed at Ryoko's high kick when she took down that yakuza who was trying force that guy to jump off his balcony.

Next episode looks like it will be a lot of fun. For a moment, I thought that female character was Chihiro from Spirited Away, lol :D
Aug 3, 2008 1:56 AM
Dec 2007
Best episode so far, I'm impressed how the script writers (but this was obviously adapted from the novels by Yoshiki Tanaka) can come up with such intricately short,1 episode stories, that, in some other animes, are the full plot of the whole series. And it's so brilliantly directed, cleverly scripted, the relation between Izumida and Ryoko is so entertaining (always remind me of the Lafiel/Jinto relationship) and the overall atmosphere of the show is so awesome, it's just the best anime of this summer, by far.

A true masterpiece, I'm eagerly waiting for the time when the script will involve Ryoko's father's company, JACES, it will be truly incredible to watch her going against her father (because I'm pretty sure it will come to this, seeing how the series is going) !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 3, 2008 3:44 AM

Jan 2008
Jacut said:
it's just the best anime of this summer, by far.

Seconded.

I'm in awe, this ep was brilliantly composed of different and unique elements that made me watch in excitement, i loved the pace and the sadness at the end of the story, and now looking forward to more, next ep pleassssseee. XD
Aug 3, 2008 4:10 AM

Jul 2008
This felt like the introduction of a new emotional tone in the series that I hope sticks around. As much as I enjoy big mutant snakes and astounding displays of callousness towards the freedom of the press, the final shots of the woman with her 'son' and the music that went with it really *got* me - as did Izumida's final observation.

Randomly, when that monster first started scuttling around, did anyone else get flashes of that fish-demon from The Witches of Whitby series of children's books? Just me? Okay then. :D
Aug 3, 2008 1:27 PM

Mar 2008
Ah, crazy alien baby >_<. Good episode though.
Aug 3, 2008 9:55 PM

Oct 2007
Best episode yet, without a doubt.

It was exciting, as expected, and I really liked the theory/concept, whatever you wanna call it, behind this one.

Aug 3, 2008 11:20 PM

May 2008
Really good episode. Great balance between the serious and comical aspects. Hopefully the episodes will continue to have such interesting cases.
Aug 4, 2008 5:36 PM

Jan 2008
Another good episode.
Aug 9, 2008 3:39 PM

Nov 2007
Nice episode, though I enjoyed episode 3 a bit more. Possibly because the lizard baby creeped me out, I was picturing it much uglier from the description. In the end he was kind of sweet actually.
The lullaby was... fitting, somehow. Is there a translation for the lyrics?
Dec 8, 2009 6:28 AM

Sep 2009
A good episode indeed.
Mar 29, 2010 1:50 PM

Sep 2008
Freaky little monster child. D: Weirded me out. Scary eyes. The lullaby was also creepy. Actually this episode just had an overarching creepiness to it, I suppose. But it was still a good episode, and I'm still amused by the interaction between Izumida and Ryoko. :)
Nov 13, 2010 8:01 AM
Jun 2008
I enjoyed this episode, though I actually felt sorry for the demon alien baby O_o
Aug 25, 2011 6:13 AM

Mar 2009
That definitely wasn't human...
Mar 7, 2014 5:27 AM

Aug 2013
A freaky UMA-baby. Kind of weird how a scientist could get so attached to an experiment.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 29, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2010
I like this anime. I'm really enjoying myself here. The snarky interactions, the jazzy mood, the tough questions that are left to muse over - it's all great.
Feb 19, 2021 5:48 PM
Dec 2019
Surprisingly decent episode about biomedical engineering ethics. At least, it felt more real and grounded than that FMA episode with the dog and the girl.

I'm glad that when it counts the guy isn't a pussy as his normal demeanor suggests. He definitely isn't one of those anime losers that gets a nosebleed when seeing a girl. Ryoko is just someone he has to put up with because she holds his job on the line but otherwise he has a backbone. I think.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryoko's Case File Episode 13 Discussion

Faust721 - Oct 4, 2008

38 by Destroyer31 »»
Sep 26, 2023 1:21 AM

Poll: » Ryoko's Case File Episode 1 Discussion

Absolutely_Steve - Jul 12, 2008

31 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:00 PM

Poll: » Ryoko's Case File Episode 12 Discussion

cyruz - Sep 27, 2008

26 by Recynon »»
Feb 20, 2021 6:21 PM

Poll: » Ryoko's Case File Episode 8 Discussion

Absolutely_Steve - Aug 31, 2008

20 by Recynon »»
Feb 20, 2021 12:40 PM

Poll: » Ryoko's Case File Episode 5 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 9, 2008

22 by Recynon »»
Feb 19, 2021 6:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.