25.9%
25-35
69.0%
Above 35
5.1%
158 votes
Nov 12, 2011 8:56 AM
Nov 2011
Yeah, wedlock. The minimum age, here in India, is set 18 years for women and 21 years for men, to get married. Before that, it's illegal. I've always wondered why the coerce is even needed. Premature marriage, without thinking closely, is mostly the reason why people get divorced in most cases. There's also the case when people get married intentionally without even knowing their partners completely. I've seen 20 year-old lovebirds wanting to get married who don't even know each other for more than 5 months. Geez, what's the rush about? Why on Earth would you want to get married when you're only in College? Why the hell would anyone younger than 25 want to get tied down so early? I guess I'd understand if the woman's pregnant or something, but c'mon. You should at least get to know each other before getting yourself into it. For Christ's sake, there are so many people to meet and so many things to experience!

In my opinion, people should at least try to live together before getting themselves into wedlock. Get to know each other more, get to learn about your good and bad points, etc. and then think about it. What do you — people of MAL — think over the matter?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 12, 2011 9:02 AM

Jun 2011
Age shouldn't really matter, but it does play a role on how mature an individual is.

I think marriage should only be allowed for matured,level headed people, who are willing to commit to love and accept any consequences that may follow.
So many stories I've heard teens like myself, running off to Vegas or something and getting married and ends up being a sham.
I may be wrong about this but this is what I think, if someone is willing to correct me or show me another way then please enlighten me

And like you said they should at least lived together and in the relationship for more than a year first.
Nov 12, 2011 9:19 AM

Nov 2008
It's 18 in most nations, 16 in some states in the US with parent consent, 15 with that and a court order in some states, 15 in some Muslim nations.

My opinion it should be 16 or 17, if you are mature enough to drive a car at 16-17 which can kill someone if misused, then you can get married.

Nov 12, 2011 9:23 AM

Jun 2008
LOL, NEVER!

Marriage is horrible and is more likely to end in divorce than "Happily ever after"...

But, that's just my opinion, I'd rather stay single and have multiple relationships with any girl I want then settle down with one bloodsucking witch...
Nov 12, 2011 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Marriage is a way for the government and the church to impose their importance into a relationship. Like if you couldn't be with someone without their approval. If I ever meet the person with wish I'd spend the rest of my life, we'd never get married.
Nov 12, 2011 10:31 AM

Apr 2009
Age is definitely a factor. A marriage is has an 83% success rate in the 26-30 age bracket, but that's only if both partners have post-secondary education. Sadly, the 18-24 bracket is almost guaranteed failure with 25 being a grey-zone; however that at least makes sense to me and I do not support marriage as an option for that range. Personally, I believe that no earlier than 26 is the perfect age to propose, anything before that will most likely fail due to differences in maturity, and here's the big one; money. My advice, if marriage is something you foresee in your future, do a prenup regardless of how old you are. I've had many friends who married young and quickly followed up with divorce, and honestly, I surprised that some of them had survived as a couple, let alone be cut out for marriage. Rushing things seems to be a common mistake to make. Hell, I barely support marriage as it is; it takes a special kind of person to be cut out for marriage because a 50% divorce rate in most first world countries proves to be a major roadblock.
Nov 12, 2011 10:33 AM

Feb 2007
who cares if people get divorced? There shouldn't be a law preventing people because you seem to dislike divorce. Let people do what they want.
Nov 12, 2011 11:57 AM

Oct 2011
below 25 is just too young..the couple can't be that prepared for a family..
Nov 12, 2011 12:17 PM

Feb 2007
akihibari said:

Do people that get married need to have kids?
Nov 12, 2011 12:21 PM

Nov 2008
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

Or better yet do people that have kids need to be married?

Nov 12, 2011 12:32 PM

Jun 2009
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No
@Hoppy- Yes, because if not no one will take care of them and everyone will spends years and thousands in legal battles about who will or will not pay for them.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Nov 12, 2011 12:42 PM

Jan 2008
If there grass on the pitch, then shes a bitch.

I think that's how the saying goes, i'm not sure.

I think marriage is a stupid idea, but I also think having kids is a stupid idea, well done on 7 billion people.

But being with someone you love, and taking care of any mistakes that might have happened while having sex? that's cool in my book.
Nov 12, 2011 12:43 PM

Nov 2008
Suzune-chan said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No
@Hoppy- Yes, because if not no one will take care of them and everyone will spends years and thousands in legal battles about who will or will not pay for them.

Not true, grandparents and aunts can take care of them a lot of times it's voluntary, this is more true if both parents are considered unfit or they are addicts to drugs and alcohol.

Nov 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
Precise age? What a shallow question. Marriage, if you decide upon it, may forever change the course of your life. The precise time for marriage is when you're ready to accept that fact.
Nov 12, 2011 1:04 PM
Aug 2011
Personally, I don't care for the concept of marriage...maybe it's because of my parents' divorce, I don't know. However, I think that a lot of people rush into getting married, and then divorce after a few years...I believe, if you really love someone you don't need a piece of paper to prove it. Besides, I can't get married anyway (at least not in my country). But that aside, I think it's not so much a thing of age, but how mature a person is, or something like that. Anyway, in my country (Croatia) people can get married at 16 with parental consent.
Nov 12, 2011 3:46 PM

Oct 2011
If I'm planning on getting married, I think I'll be married before 32ish. Basically every single male in my family goes bald... so gotta get someone to fall in love with me before the hair starts falling off;) But if I'm not completely sure I'm in love with someone, no way will I pay for it by losing half my stuff later.
Nov 12, 2011 3:54 PM
Oct 2010
SSJBeastmode said:
If I'm planning on getting married, I think I'll be married before 32ish. Basically every single male in my family goes bald... so gotta get someone to fall in love with me before the hair starts falling off;)

* falls down laughing, realizes it's due to identification, starts sobbing *
Nov 12, 2011 4:56 PM

Mar 2009
I think before marrying, it is important to spend time with the person to learn more about them, understand them and establish a healthy level of comfort with the other. Discussing certain serious topics must be done too and both must be completely committed to the other.
Nov 12, 2011 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
Suzune-chan said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No

But... my parents never married and everything is turning out pretty well.
Nov 12, 2011 5:46 PM
Dec 2010
Why get married?? seriously??
but if two decide to fucked up their lives ,better for them to be above 30
Nov 12, 2011 5:47 PM

Mar 2011
Appel_stroop said:
Suzune-chan said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No

YOU LIE!!!!
Nov 12, 2011 6:03 PM

Sep 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
Appel_stroop said:
Suzune-chan said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No

YOU LIE!!!!

I DO NOT!!! I'M EVEN USING CAPS TO MAKE EXTRA SURE YOU GET IT.
honestly though my parents never married and I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters they say they don't need a stupid paper or something that costs monuey to prove their love.
Nov 12, 2011 6:11 PM

Feb 2009
I think entering into ANY decisive and legally binding decisions before 21 is likely a bad idea. People change around 21 and you simply don't want to find yourself stuck in something that you come to find a few years later ie earlier than 21 meaning you decided too early in my view, that you come to regret.

And marriage is a fairly significant life choice.

I also think old buggers marrying little girls are no better than fucking pedos too. And I don't give a shit if your fucking religion condones it. Little girls belong to little boys.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Nov 12, 2011 9:27 PM

May 2008
I think people should get married whenever they want.

And the real point is that people are going to do what they want. So why is another person's opinion important? People make mistakes when they're young, I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

However, I just don't see marriage as being important except when it has legal benefits. Love is not about the label of "marriage" for me.

But again, my opinion doesn't matter, because I am in charge of myself and not other people. Let them do what they want.
Nov 13, 2011 2:33 AM

Dec 2010
I'd say 25 - 35. Because from my knowledge, its standard practice.

Besides that is also the age where people actually 'act' mature. That is also the age where most people have a means fo finance.
Nov 13, 2011 3:59 AM

Jun 2011
My dad wants me to get married before he dies so he can see my kids.

If I am going to be married I'll be sure to do it after I finish my studies which would be done when I'm about 25. Or not. D:
Nov 13, 2011 4:07 AM

Feb 2010
12 is appropriate, I think.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 13, 2011 4:58 AM

Jun 2011
My dad wants me to marry a cousin. Thank god my mother is against it.
Nov 13, 2011 6:55 AM

Oct 2009
Like some have said I think maturity should come before the matter of age.
Nov 13, 2011 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
12 is appropriate, I think.

Old men will be in heaven if that happened. Not a wise idea plus the chance of exploitation is huge.

Nov 13, 2011 12:52 PM

May 2010
Marriage shouldn't necessarily be influenced by someone's age, however I personally think marriage before 20 years old is inappropriate. Simply because I think people before the age of 20 are generally not mature enough to make such an important decision. Besides the age there are two factors that are important: the situation and the individual person.

For example there's a big difference between being together for four years and just five months. Besides this it depends on what a couple has experienced and has been through together. I think a long distance couple would consider marriage earlier than "normal" couples. As in a long distance relationship the most essential parts of a relationship will be tested: trust, honesty and love itself. For example if a long distance couple decide to marry after 'dating' for four years at the age of 22, then it would be acceptable in my eyes. (of course it would depend on the financial situation, etc.) Of course this could be the case in normal relationships too, but most couples simply don't go through those situations and are thus not 'matured' enough regarding their relationship. You see a lot of people marrying at an early age just to divorce a couple of years later. (sometimes even months!)

In the end it will all depend on the couple that will decide upon marriage, some people are just more matured than others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2011 1:38 PM

Feb 2005
So, uh, the economic and legal benefits of marriage isn't something to be considered? At least if someone live together anyways, and don't seem to be getting shaky anytime soon, marriage would make for a great bonus in that regard, if nothing else.
Nov 13, 2011 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
Suzune-chan said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:
akihibari said:

@Selective Yellow -No

Bullshit. Apparently you have never heard of single parents.
Nov 13, 2011 10:00 PM

Nov 2011
I dont think there isnt really certain age of marriage but i can't say i will marry someone till im atleast 25-37
Nov 13, 2011 10:14 PM

Sep 2010
I definitely think everyone should wait until they are at least 18, which I think is also the law in most of the USA. Otherwise, it depends on the maturity of the people involved and the situation. Personally, I'm definitely not getting married until I'm at least 25. There are too many cases out there of people getting married too soon and then getting divorced (example: my dad was only 20 when he married his first wife. They eventually got divorced and both remarried different people. ). Of course, there are also a few cases where things turned out fine for young marriages. My two oldest sisters both got married when they were 21, and the older one is approaching her 15th anniversary. Of course, it's still possible that they will end up getting a divorce at some point in the future, but that also happens with people who waited until they were much older to get married, like my friends whose parents are getting divorced but didn't get married until they were in their 30s or 40s (I don't know their exact ages). Either way, I think 15 years is a pretty long time, so their marriage isn't a failure.

There are definitely cases where young marriages make a lot of sense. For example, my sister who is about to celebrate her 15th anniversary married a man from England (and she lives in England with him and their children). Like the rest of my immediate family, she is from the USA. Basically, their choices were get married or live in separate countries, because the whole immigration thing in both countries suck.
"Your Pikachu's electric sacks are in super shape!"
Nov 13, 2011 10:46 PM

Sep 2010
after seeing all of my highschool friends get married right when they hit 18, only to be divorced no more than 2 years later i think rushing into a marriage is a really silly idea. you have the whole rest of your life to find that perfect someone.
Nov 13, 2011 11:24 PM

Aug 2010
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:

Actualy, one of my uncle living in Nova Scotia (canada) had a child with his girlfriend 3 years ago, he had 18ish months (after birth) to get married to her or they would lose the child. I can't find any law or detail about that on the internet so it might be an isolated case.
Nov 14, 2011 12:04 AM

Feb 2007
Maal said:
Hoppy said:
selective_yellow said:

Actualy, one of my uncle living in Nova Scotia (canada) had a child with his girlfriend 3 years ago, he had 18ish months (after birth) to get married to her or they would lose the child. I can't find any law or detail about that on the internet so it might be an isolated case.

What? That is not a law. I am from Canada and the government did not take me away. People get divorced all the time. That makes no sense, unless there are some other factors you are not sharing.
Nov 22, 2011 2:46 PM

Mar 2011
Woah... Marriage... All i can say is RESPECT to those who manage to get married and don't split up after 4-5 years. Much respect -.-
Nov 22, 2011 5:54 PM

Jul 2011
ProdiGene said:
Yeah, wedlock. The minimum age, here in India, is set 18 years for women and 21 years for men, to get married. Before that, it's illegal. I've always wondered why the coerce is even needed. Premature marriage, without thinking closely, is mostly the reason why people get divorced in most cases. There's also the case when people get married intentionally without even knowing their partners completely. I've seen 20 year-old lovebirds wanting to get married who don't even know each other for more than 5 months. Geez, what's the rush about? Why on Earth would you want to get married when you're only in College? Why the hell would anyone younger than 25 want to get tied down so early? I guess I'd understand if the woman's pregnant or something, but c'mon. You should at least get to know each other before getting yourself into it. For Christ's sake, there are so many people to meet and so many things to experience!

In my opinion, people should at least try to live together before getting themselves into wedlock. Get to know each other more, get to learn about your good and bad points, etc. and then think about it. What do you — people of MAL — think over the matter?

Well I don't really see the point in making it illegal, because it might lower the divorce rate, but I would imagine there is little to no other differences. I was engaged prior to finishing University. Why? Well, it's rather simple in my case I we'd been best friends since we were 16, and dating exclusively since 20. There may be a large amount of people to meet and things to experience, however that being said I've never found anyone that remotely compares to my significant other and I experienced all the dating I cared to in high school really.

Everyone has a different situation, so I don't think there is any set answer on when people should get married, if they should get married at all. Marriage is only a tradition really, a symbolic act that I myself never found necessary, but be that as it may, I think imposing age restrictions that go above 18 is rather pointless. I agree about the living together part as well, though I imagine people who do, have a higher rate of pregnancy. So, that's something to keep in mind, but outside of that I think it's highly beneficial to live together prior.

Dec 29, 2011 7:37 PM
Nov 2011
^One of the things that annoy me a lot is that people, especially parents here in India, subjugate divorce to be a bad thing and thus think that it can and will ruin the life of both the partners and well, children. They do not understand that if a marriage is on the brink of death, it is best to just divorce. Thanks to that inhibition done by their parents, I've seen numerous cases in which the partners end up killing each other by their own hands or via someone else's help because they cannot bear to stay near each other. Also, why in the hell do the parents come in between the decisions when their so-called children are so grown up to even get married? Can't they let those two handle their own personal life and do whatever they wish is right, even if it's severing the pact which is for the betterment of all?
Dec 29, 2011 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
Hell yeah, single and proud for life!
Dec 29, 2011 7:44 PM

Dec 2011
In UK you can get married when you're 16 with your parents permission. Legal age is 18. But I think 16 is waaayyyyy too young for marriage. I think you should get married around 30. And you have to have been with that person for at least 2 years.
Dec 29, 2011 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
Personally, somewhere between 26-28 is a fine age to get married. Provided that you and your spouse are ready for responsibilities.
Dec 29, 2011 11:52 PM
Aug 2008
ProdiGene said:

Why do people marry when only meeting someone in 5 months?

I can answer that. To the best of my knowledge of the extent of listening to lectures on behavioral biology on YT, when partners of mammals, to be specific, humans meet one another. The first thing that concerns one of one another is the expectation of the relationship, the release of oxytocin, and endorphins, and of stimulating hormones that persist in the initial stage of perceptivity and receptivity. When newly weds are scanned by fRMI, or what other havenot devices, it's found that certain regions of the brain associated with the risk-expectation trigger-happy-go around function of the human brain are lit up as the partners rate eachother very high in intimacy or as it so goes. As the relationship goes on and somewhat stagnates over the years, this feeling declines but another form of manifested bond of long courtship/loyalty is formed instead of "premature expectation of relationship + satisfying desire to appeal to the uncertainty/overdramitized extent of being infatuated by a partner".

Recently, cohabitation or living together or a trial as in "relationship without risk" or whatever have you not call it has been a more recently popular establishment among young people as a means of seeing if things can work out or not. I am not fully informed, but Macleans magazine declares that the risk of divorce is higher for younger people who don't wait and marry in their teenage years, and other factors also play a role in divorce (religion, etc) and likeliness/affinity for one another.

Also, marriage as an institutional form has existed for people of aged pre-18/pre-16 years both in historical and modern times for purposes such as "rite of men/financial-sociostatus securement/arranged ceremony, etc" purposes. There are some young women who are already concubines (i.e. in China/India/various other countries), or forced into marriages 2x+ with older men, divorced and have experienced much injustice but yet have experienced more than any middle-aged women; thus, there are cross-cultural differences which must be considered for any judgement of assigning a jurisdiction of "agreeableness" with respect to the entitlement or allowance of marriage between any two entities.

Oh and there are always overseeing hawk parental cultures who need to exhibit every form of control for whatever artificial, contrived sake of "purity, appropriateness, sanctity" for their son(s)/daughter(s). It's quite unfortunate...if not to say the least at most.

Not only that but some people object to the very notion of marriage and just have a common "civil relationship" or whatever they call for living under the same room but without declarance/proclaimance of marriage. Such reasons include shallowness of declaration by capitalistic funding of unnecessary expenditures (notion and ideals of "true love" over gov't/society's expectations/right to marry 2-D/homogenous gender/animals?/etc).

Oh and people become less accepting of differences in race/age/etc as we become older in our preference for marriages/partners. We have an innate predisposition to select those within our "age-range", understandably for biological reasons. And we have a lessened influence on our mindset of discriminating others when we are younger as opposed to when we age.

Oh and for people endorsing older age marriages like 30, i.e. due to the lack of social stability or development or appropriateness of context of relationship + in conjunction with a strong financial background needed with an aging populous (i.e. Canada/Japan), what do you say of the exponential risk in genetic diseases for the offspring of women of older ages? It's probably not a significant issue, but..

Anyhow, I think that marriage is something that cannot be treated with utter ambivalence. To permit people of unjustified mental capacity to be married (i.e. age 12) and to overlook the lack of propensity for understanding of responsibilities needed, with great ramifications needed as justified by recent or perhaps media reports of unwarranted pregnancies of teens and bastardous children..yet the autonomous spirit of desire or courtship of young people must also be respected..on the other hand, its legal and social representations as well as repercussions instill both a stigmatized sense of "immaturity" and pure romanticism to each entity of such relations..

Should we take the objective or "averaging" stance of the wisdom of the crowd for which deems an arbitrary yet limiting point of allowance of recognition of such love? With the consequence of defying the innate properties of such bounding legal contract from which affection, infatuation and dependence act as the foundation for the fruition of such possibility in the first place? No matter of what scenario, of what privilege and right we assign to any population Y, it seems that no satisfactory control or one-size-fit-solution will work for any X within Y is unsuitable for Z act/condition and yet some X are exceptional from Y (mature mothers who are 16, for example).

Bear in mind, it raises the question of whether we even need the concept of marriage in the first place..if it is befitting of the role of marriage to produce offspring as a political function or means..of having a nation to be able to function by means of its constituents (citizens) and relations of its assembled collectives of constituents (families)..even for the rite of passage, for the traditional means, it bears symbolical and familial resemblance and practice..to grasp marriage as a celebration, or something more than of its political and legal intentions. If marriage is unnecessitated for this function, and if bureaucratic means of legal documents and intertwined complexities that deter separation are unneeded by the populous to perform such aforementioned capacity to give rise to functioning as a nation...then would we accept a polyamorous foundation? For no risk of loss labour, loss time, loss energy in nature would causate a fear for monogamy.. and yet we as humans are somewhere in between asofar to be mono-amorous and polyamorous, such biological predispositions by the reproductive strategies of "many" and "partner-for-life". Suitably we say, to the extent we champion single-relations for that which parental investment of motherliness is needed with the fathership, whereby a greater domain or percentage of successful offspring can be produced and survive..

In my own opinion, the practicality of marriage can be manifested without attribution to legal and normative tendencies and procedures for which society acclaims it so..If no gov't, or such large society existed, it is unnecessary for me to have to announce or proclaim my desire to be with a beloved partner in such a way that incurs a monetary cost to me. Surely enough, if I submit my will of dedication to such woman, I have made the acknowledgement of bearing the product of such offspring..on such conditions that her state remains non-senile and healthily feasible with respect to age. It is true that all humans bear a bias or conditional element in parental affection and offspring attachment, to that which I earnestly reply..that of mixed families, of different entities, of same species, is such differentiations between groups of constituents needed? It seems emergent levels of organized social regulation form the hierarchy and modulatory part of our society (from people, to friends, to family members, to groups, to tribes, to minorities, to majorities, to nations, to continents/races).

Do biological offspring have an inherent disposition to biological parents? Surely enough, and yet not all biological parents of avail are suitable to such offspring (drunken/abusive/bastardous/torture/selling-off), and yet some unknown talents and potential of offspring have not been actualized into form due to the circumstantial randomness or luck factor for which our environment and parents predispose us to.
There are half-families, mixed families, unfortunate children, heterogenous couples with infertility problems, many cases of varying degrees of differential circumstances..

Surely enough if we piece by piece the notion of marriage, it is not simply an issue which has ramifications of one single family. To those who bear a moral relativism or apathy of the concerns of other, what makes of the next generation of people? What makes of your neighbours, your people, your society, your nation? Issues of HIV/diseases are a concern for which we take no consideration of limiting social permittance of sexual activity, or to of instructional desire..and yet some feel the need to limit such acceptance of such activity to "marriage". It's clearly non-sequitor that early marriage leads to abandoned children with teenage mothers because such intercourse can happen without marriage and preventive measures exist; on the other hand of the spectrum, if no limitations for marriage exist, then of what serious nature or extent can we allow for this "marriage" formality to exist? Gay, incestuous, animalistic, BD, 2-D, nature, other oddities, religious..?

The guiding principle of which does not concern you...
If any X and any Y or of any X and any Y can marry Z entity, a tree, a dog, a 52-year old, whatever, what social repercussions would that incur on the context of daily life? I guess its not really an issue..

On the other hand, do we stick with a neutral stance? a discouraging stance? an encouraging stance?
Child, marry him. No wait until you're older. Do it, learn from your mistakes if you won't take responsibility. Listen to me, this is how my life unfolded, don't repeat my mistake. No you must not do it with that man. No, if it's love, it's love..I don't care, do as you will.
NequamDec 30, 2011 12:57 AM
Dec 30, 2011 12:57 AM

Feb 2008
Just because people get married or settle down quickly, it doesn't mean it always ends in divorce. My parents got married after being together for eight months and knowing each other a year. My aunt and uncle got married after just about six months and knowing each other for the same length of time. They're still doing just fine.

As for age? A friend of mine got married pretty soon after she graduated from high school. It's been ten years, they're still happily married.

It has more to do with maturity than just age. I do have to say, wait until both people are out of high school, but you don't necessarily have to wait until you're through college (if of course, both or either of them are even going through college). If it feels right, and you have the means necessary to move in together, then go for it.

I was almost surprised with how many people are so against marriage (and even relationships, with some of them) here, until I remembered this is an anime site. Lol, nerds.
Anime figure reviews:
Dec 30, 2011 4:31 AM

Feb 2009
Getting married, because if you treated it like it was potentially dangerous, and a major expense worth doing the same research you would do for a major purchase like a house, chances are more people would have more success with staying married.

Dating a minimum of 10 times with NO sex means you find out about the person before you ever risk awkward situations like accidental pregnancies with someone you sure don't want to have kids with.

Living with the person for a few months means you get to see them being who they really are day to day. Because just being a great fuck won't make you want to be stuck with a person when they get older and unable to be that great fuck any longer.

Because a great marriage is about liking the inner person as much as you like the outer person. It's about being ok with the person's weird habits as well as their behaviour while dating (often not the same). It's about having the same life goals, or at least having life goals you can live with.

Look at the beach babes and the hunks of the 70s, because that is all you can expect from today's fapping targets and drool magnets of today. That girl you'd so like to take to bed in time is someone's granny. That hunk of muscle if tomorrows flabby balding wide at the middle old man. Time comes for all of us.

My wife is still the person I like to screw the most. Even if she likely couldn't get a 20 year old hard under any circumstances. I'm no beefcake myself. But I sure made the right choice 25 years ago.

I didn't judge her on her then looks or her then occupation though. I simply liked who I met that day so long ago.
Dec 30, 2011 7:34 AM

Aug 2011
Age != maturity. I'm 26 and I act like an idiot at times.

A great deal of brain growth and development happens between 14 and 24. Your personality will change a lot in that time. What you want when you're a teen won't necessarily be what you will want when you're in your mid 20s. This is also why it's so silly for kids to go to college straight out of high school.

My stepsister, who I consider to be more mature and focused than I am, got married when she was 18. I got married when I was 19. The difference between us is that while she got a divorce after only a year, my husband and I are still together after 6 years. I can't tell you exactly what makes our marriage work, and what made my stepsister's marriage fail. I have no clue. All I can tell you is we're happy together and our responsibilities are well-taken care of.

TL;DR: A minimum legal age should be there, yes. But, it's up to the individual to decide whether they're ready to seek long-term companionship. Let people make these mistakes for themselves. It's the only way they'll learn.
Dec 30, 2011 7:40 AM

Feb 2009
shyranelle said:
Age != maturity. I'm 26 and I act like an idiot at times.

A great deal of brain growth and development happens between 14 and 24. Your personality will change a lot in that time. What you want when you're a teen won't necessarily be what you will want when you're in your mid 20s. This is also why it's so silly for kids to go to college straight out of high school.

My stepsister, who I consider to be more mature and focused than I am, got married when she was 18. I got married when I was 19. The difference between us is that while she got a divorce after only a year, my husband and I are still together after 6 years. I can't tell you exactly what makes our marriage work, and what made my stepsister's marriage fail. I have no clue. All I can tell you is we're happy together and our responsibilities are well-taken care of.

TL;DR: A minimum legal age should be there, yes. But, it's up to the individual to decide whether they're ready to seek long-term companionship. Let people make these mistakes for themselves. It's the only way they'll learn.

Almost looked like one of my posts there for a moment hehe.

I guess you managed to mentally evolve in a way that didn't conflict with what your wife liked about you to begin with.

25 years later, and I am NOT the guy my wife married really any more. Not been easy being with me as I have been disabled since 94. But some of who and what I was, didn't survive due to my disability. I lost some portions of me better discarded in some cases.

Sometimes the change if for the worse sometimes for the better.

Your sis getting divorced in a year just shows she NEVER thought about it much at all.
Dec 30, 2011 7:50 AM

Dec 2011
The only reason I'd want to be young when I marry, is so that I won't be really old for my children. For example if I got married at 30 (not being very technical but bare with me), my child would be 15 when I am 45. On the other hand, getting married at 20, I'd only be 35, and I would say that I'm young enough to participate in similar activites to my children, like sports.

That's only my take however, but obviously children are only one aspect of a marriage, if at all. I say as long as the two are mature, and wise people, allow them to marry as they wish. Putting laws against it is unnecessary, and the idiots that do wish to marry, allow them too as well. It'll be a good growing-up experience for them. Nevertheless, if you do wish to throw kids into the equation, a lot of children are now dealing with divorced or single parents and it's almost the same as having parents that are still together.

TL;DR: Sometimes getting divorced is better than forcing a marriage. Young marriages are okay with the right people.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.