Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: The Sky Crawlers Episode 1 Discussion

Aug 24, 2017 3:23 PM

this movie was bizarre and the ending was strange. at the end was did yuichi and teacher killed each other or teacher killed him judging by his or not replacement or reincarnation Hiiragi Isamu. The movie was twisted and very peculiar.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John

Feb 7, 2018 8:46 AM

That was irrational.

The story.
Modified by Eell, Feb 7, 2018 8:57 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.

Mar 11, 2018 1:10 PM

Extremely slow and with a very dark atmosphere, it raises more than one question in the viewer during his vision. This film is a very clear manifesto of protest against the war and secondly against those humanly unorthodox practices. A film perhaps not for everyone, however, taking into account what the viewer hypothesizes watching this film, namely: airplanes and air battles. The narrative takes all the time possible to understand events. The soundtrack is catchy and the graphic quality is more than decent despite the massive use of CG. The ending is very catchy.

9/10

Nov 29, 2018 10:45 AM

Man this was a long movie. I know it was only about two hours but it felt like it was much longer. Personally I Think this movie could have been cut down to an hour or an hour and a half. Everything shot felt like it went on for so long and my brother was able to guess the major plot twist like ten minutes into the movie. The only great thing about this movie was the airplane battles. I love the fact that at one point you see one of the plane drifting mid air (it'll make sense if you see it).

3/10 for me. Will probably never rewatch.

Mar 25, 12:22 PM

Kannami and Jinro being one and the same was revealed really early on in this film pretty much. The film is less about that reveal and more about the reveal of why that is the case and similarly why the others don't point it out.

I really liked the atmosphere of this film, it was very similar to other Oshii works. I coined the phrase Oshii-sphere last year because this aspect of his films is pretty much unique to him. At least in the Anime space. Combined with Kenji as composer and yeah it's pretty unmistakable.

At 2 hours long the film isn't as dense as it could of been. And while the animation was beautiful, both in 2D from Production IG and the 3D from Polygon Pictures, the actual density of locations and detail in them was alittle lacking. The film takes place in some very barren and lifeless places, even for an Airfield it was pretty empty.

I doubt this is something I will return to much more in years to come, the lacking plot or at least the destination of that plot (however poignant at the end) wasn't over fulfilling. I wish it just went further and got deeper. I'm okay with open endings but this film is all about the awful situation, be it for the world in general as well as the characters. It's presented to us and that's all we get. It's very interesting but like I say it's also somewhat unfulfilling.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]