Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 26, 2014 11:50 AM

Jun 2012
That was a really good episode. I love the history behind things but Im always too lazy to delve into them. I should break out of that habit.
Sep 3, 2014 3:09 PM

Aug 2013
Awwwn, that new girl Kana was so cute :3
It was hilarious when she started babbling about the history of the hundred poems. And then it was sad when she said her parents were barely able to hold the shop... But hey! She sure is good at marketing, she now got a super cute model! And them, they got a new member :)

2 members left!
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 17, 2014 1:40 PM

Dec 2013
I don't like the nerd kid but the episode was nice and artsy. Some nice Chihaya pictures near the end :3 My fav episode.
Mar 10, 2015 5:49 PM

Oct 2013
I liked it how there is a story behind every song. Kana chan is interesting. Can't wait to "meet" other members.
May 27, 2015 7:24 PM
Jan 2012
Kana is such an interesting and knowledgeable character. Now I want to know the story behind each kurata card ^^

This is probably my favorite episode so far.
Sep 8, 2015 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
Well that explains why she's wearing a kimono on the cover.
Sep 25, 2015 11:56 AM
May 2015
I love the character Kana, and we got to see Arata in the last scene.
Oct 11, 2015 11:55 PM

Oct 2015
I think the Karuta Club is going to become very classic and traditional. All thanks to Kana-chan. YASSSHH!
Dec 27, 2015 8:17 PM

May 2013
I'm feel bad for Taichi.
He is always beside Chihaya but she only see Arata :(
Oct 10, 2016 11:35 PM

Dec 2014
well the attension these two have around school is sometihng
Mar 18, 2017 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
If you doing something love, don't let anyone tell you it's all in vain or waste of time
Did you think Baseball > Karuta?
Definitely no
But if you're talking about popularity, yes

Yep definitely expect Chihaya to become the model! She's way too pretty to not become a model
Harem member +1.. Oh wait wrong anime xD

I like how the end Chihaya said love and it's showing Arata
"Signature removed"
Apr 19, 2017 8:55 AM

Feb 2008
A charming addition to the cast. Kanade's passion for poetry (and traditional clothing) is truly commendable. The background information (kindly provided by Kanade) regarding some of the poems featured in the series is intriguing.
Apr 20, 2017 5:25 AM

Feb 2013
They got a new member for the club, Kana-chan.
Wow, Chihaya looked great in a yukata.
May 7, 2017 1:28 AM

Sep 2016
I don’t know what to say about Kana’s head cannon, but the idea of wearing Kimono while playing Karuta sounds cool.
I wish in my country we could also inherit national culture from small things like wearing traditional clothes while doing something tradition-related at least in some special days.
Orikasa_MomijiMay 7, 2017 2:04 AM
Aug 19, 2017 4:45 AM

Nov 2016
Awesome episode again.

Kana gava Chihaya an importan lesson about karuta, making her love the game even more.

Chihaya as model was cute :S <3

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 24, 2017 11:00 PM

Dec 2013
Not caring too much for Kana tbh

At least there’s an explanation with why Chihaya is wearing a kimono.
Apr 28, 2018 5:45 PM
May 2013
i'm a sucker for group dynamics where every person is unique in their own way, with each adding something equally distinct and important to the table. it's one of the reasons why sakurasou no pet na kanojo is my favorite anime, and this one seems to be following the same path.

as a writer and lover of poems, this episode was a bliss, and i love how they chose to dive deeper into the game and truly show that, even though its premise may be simple, karuta is, at its core, a beautifully crafted, multifaceted game with a fascinating cultural history built through the years.

i really, really advise anyone who would like to know more about it to watch this video on youtube. "begin japanology - karuta" very insightful. plus, it's very interesting to get to know to what extent karuta is actually played and what meaning it holds to the japanese society.

on another note, i really like the use of warm colors at the end along with the window motif, tying all the characters together, and ultimately reminding the viewer that even though they aren't physically united, their love for karuta will always keep them connected; a clear reference to one of chihaya's quote during the childhood arc:

"as long as we play karuta, we'll always be together."

also, can we all agree that chihaya is even prettier with a ponytail? i'm actually in love.
Jan 31, 2019 9:47 AM

Aug 2013
Chihaya in those traditional clothing is a win. <3

Jan 31, 2019 7:19 PM

Jun 2015
the traditional clothing are gorgeous
Feb 2, 2019 9:05 AM
Apr 2016
Chihaya is such a curious person! Interested in everyone and everything... I love anime extroverts, they're so great! Great episode, history of each card is so fascinating!
Apr 4, 2019 1:33 PM

Dec 2015
Felt a bit better than the previous episodes. I guess it would have been better if they had skipped the childhood stuff. (And maybe added scenes later as flashbacks or when Arata joined again.)

Seems like it is going to be a "school club anime" and the different members are really important. Cause with the new girl it started to get interesting a bit. Only the 3 main were boring. I mean they knew each other already ... nothing interesting to develop there.

What I didn't like: The problem with recruting the new girl was solved tooo fast. (Stuff like with the Kabuki club anime where the chars got a lot more background immediately and it was harder to get them to join ... was more interesting.) And I fear those other members might not get that much screentime/development since they aren't listet as main.

Still willing to give it another 3-6 episodes since it seems it is just starting for real now. Though it still feels 7-ish (score wise) for me - which is not enough to motivate me to watch full 2-cour and a 2nd and 3rd season and even more. Needs to improve more until max episode 12 or I drop. More interesting new club members. Lots of background for them. (But someone told me the serise will focus on karuta matches a lot later ... so I guess it won't improve much in regards to interesting side chars.)
Nov 17, 2019 8:41 PM

Oct 2013
Another adorable episode. :) New character was introduced and she represents more complex feelings towards poems written on karuta's cards.
Nov 20, 2019 9:43 AM

Apr 2014
I love the message that everyone offers something new, such as Kana's history or Taichi's memory. It's such a lovely message that a lot of people should learn!
Dec 28, 2019 3:48 AM

Mar 2015
Nice episode! New member of the club is cute!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 28, 2020 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
Why is Chihaya trying to convince Oe into playing competitive karata even though she saw firsthand that Oe's passion is based on the poetry aspect of it? The naivete of Chihaya is killing me. That sneak peek at the end was cool. Looks like Arata's gonna get back into karata.
Apr 3, 2020 5:03 PM
Apr 2018
Not gonna lie, I found everything related to Kanade waaay too convenient for Chihaya but I'll take it since the episode was so much fun. I could've never imagined what the meaning of the Chihaya card was.

Please, someone tell Taichi
Jul 16, 2020 8:02 PM

May 2013
I like Kana-chan C:

I'm glad Chihaya modeled for the family kimono store like I concluded she should as a solution to the model lacking problem. The pamplet was beautiful. Makes me wanna be on one lol. I guess magazines are close enough for now :P
Feb 24, 2021 2:04 AM

Aug 2018
And they got a new member, it was good.
Mar 6, 2021 8:35 AM

Nov 2018
Honestly , competitive part of this game is pure memorising the order and the faster one to remember the needed one wins. You can change the order of some cards of course , but it's still pretty boring.

This new girl just needs to join literature club , why karuta?I doubt there's 0 literature clubs there.It's supposed to be more popular in general than karuta or am I wrong?

I'm kind of disappointed with Chihaya so far. She seems like typical ESFP genki tomboyish girl protagonist that inspires others and usually is a love interest of most part of male cast and that's all. Need some more character development for her , but I'm fine with waiting for 2 seasons.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 13, 2021 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
Strong start of the new karuta club with a new member on board who knows the meaning behind each card and knowing they'll enter the competition wearing beautiful clothes.

Aug 9, 2021 3:45 PM

Jan 2021

...they need five club members, but can still go ahead anyways? Weird rule. Either way, the first of what I assume will end up being exactly three more members joins - and so far I like Oe. She's definitely more in to the poetry side rather than the competitiveness of karuta, but I think that makes her a good addition as karuta just wouldn't work without poetry. And there's also an interesting point raised with people laying out their cards similarly - she will likely have a completely different focus and thus do that very differently from people who only play karuta for the competitive aspect. That said, I don't think I'll be able to keep much of the actual poetry analysis in my head - simply because poetry specifically is usually wraped around too many corners to really make much sense intuitively.

Don't know why I didn't realize the lack of kimono's yet as I swear I have seen quite a lot of Chihayafuru promotional art with Chihaya in traditional clothes, so that club rule makes a lot of sense as to why that is the way the series is marketed. Pretty sure that will also give it a somewhat unique aesthetics compared to other anime set in school - although summer festival and new year's episodes exist. Chihaya being the model for the store was obvious the instant Oe said that they didn't have a model for the next catalog...

(Oh, and Oe is a weird name for me as a German speaker, because "Oe" is basically only used as the replacement for "Ö" if you don't have that on your keyboard...)
CalmTeaTimeDec 9, 2021 12:43 PM
Mar 23, 2022 10:48 PM

Feb 2021
She got too bothered by the fact that everyone was calling her an elitist except Chihaya so Kana made the choice to join the club. I'm starting to get pretty invested in this show's developments tbh
May 22, 2022 3:36 PM

May 2018
And so the recruiting spree begins. Kana is a good character and is kawaii
Mar 21, 2023 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
The visual of the cards springing to life was freakin magical, not to mention just how deep the new girl went with interpreting the poems.

Nice to see Chihaya take after her sister lol
Nov 12, 2023 9:54 PM

Oct 2022
Kana is so sweet, love traditional japanese clothes too, makes me feel so authentic and like ive flown back in time to the edo period

ALSO THE ED IS ALSO GOOD
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

215 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.