Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2011 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shy girl's story she wrote when she was little is cute! And she met the photo girl then. Energetic girl is energetic since little lol~. Crying is contagious. Whistle stops the crying, and temporary covers her shyness.

Second part with the shy girl, now junior high schooler, meeting energetic girl, who is not feeling well, while chasing for the white creature. She begins to have be "patisser" then. They have the same goal, it seems, and her feeling really delivered to the energetic girl through whistling!!
tsubasaloverNov 6, 2011 9:31 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 7, 2011 5:59 AM

Mar 2010
I think someone needs to invent a "whistle interpreter" for this episode. :)

Nov 7, 2011 7:29 AM

Nov 2008
stevewiess01 said:
I think someone needs to invent a "whistle interpreter" for this episode. :)

This, because Norie isn't always present.

Ep was pretty much a flashback of when Maon learned to whistle, it silenced the crying as well, meeting what will be her best friends and when she started to be Norie's friend. Everyone else sucks at learning whistle.

Nov 7, 2011 11:03 PM
Aug 2011
Tamayura ~hitotose~ is such a refreshing slice of life anime and this episode once again exceeded my expectations. I rather not call it "moe anime" since I don't see it the same way I see K-ON! Yet... there is just something so relaxing about it. Like a cup of hot chocolate after coming back from work on a cold winter day. Of course it's not perfect, there are the occasional annoyances.

After episode 4, I was sad since I thought it was going to be the only Maon centric episode. Yet the focus once again shines on her. And who can really blame the studio, so far she is proving to be one of the most liked, apart from Chihiro. Yes there are those who hate her whistling, but for many of us it is simply adorable.

The episode begins with a look back at when Maon was a little girl and her first interactions with her future friends. She was reading alone until the genuinely interested Fu appeared asking her to continue. I had to actually stop timing for a minute since her reaction was just so innocent lol.

The crying scene afterwards for some reason got to me as well. Yes, Norie is as annoying as ever. But this time it's forgiven a bit since she's just a little kid here. And of course in the end we learn how Norie and Maon became close friends.

Nearly all the episodes so far always seem to take my back to some childhood memories. From the opening song to some scenes where are recollecting the good times they had in the past. I always end up thinking about my hometown whenever I work on it.

I guess some critics disapprove of the series for simply being a story about several cute girls without any major plot development. But so what? It is still enjoyable for the most part.

The songs alone are simply beautiful, including the new insert song in the second half of the episode.

I have a feeling this was too long of a post and should have been posted somewhere else. Oh well.
MarukoMNov 8, 2011 12:45 AM
Nov 8, 2011 4:29 PM

Oct 2011
it was amazing :3
well it took a while but finally I felt like I feel while watching Aria
it began in previous episode but I've been waiting for series like it

Maon is of course best character - what they do great is that questions about here are answered, like why is she whistling in the first place, why Norie understands her (it seemed a bit off for me) - she reminds me of Sora from Sketchbook, in her monologues, behavior and seing things in different way :)
their relation is also adorable here... and yes Norie is here also good :) and finally not annoying, ok not so much :]
another good thing -- scenery :) with notable mention of begining and this scene

@MarukoM: I agree with those that say that there is no plot development - there is none. what is, and is much more important is character development and that they become realistic :)

PS. I thought that I guessed who is Momoneko-sama seiyū but learning who it is was a bit suprising
Dalek-bakaNov 8, 2011 4:38 PM
Nov 8, 2011 5:16 PM

Apr 2008
Very cute episode <3

Nov 8, 2011 5:38 PM

Jun 2010
I didn't expect a memory episode. I wish I can communicate with other people through whistling. I'm going to try that and mess with my friends.

Nov 8, 2011 6:06 PM
May 2010
Aww Maon. I used to do that with my shirt when I was little lol.

Whistling... who woulda thunk it can be this moe?! *3*
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!
Nov 8, 2011 6:55 PM

Sep 2011
Such a beautiful and adorable episode just as the previous eps.
Nov 8, 2011 7:15 PM

May 2010
I hate people who whistle but this is cute.
Nov 8, 2011 8:11 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty good episode. I remember when I would start crying just because my brother did.
Nov 9, 2011 4:26 AM

Jul 2009
Just died of kawaii...

I instantly smiled when Maon whistled the sponsor announcements and didn't stop until the end of the episode (Actually, I already started smiling when the opening began but it got even broader then).

Great episode again! And again I miss the japanese seaside. It's just too beautiful!!!

Can't even tell the good parts of this episode because, again, EVERYTHING was good (apart from 3 little girls crying... Sorry but I just can't stand children, especially if they are audible)!

Dalek-baka said:
I agree with those that say that there is no plot development - there is none. what is, and is much more important is character development and that they become realistic :)
Where could anyone even expect plot development if there is no plot to develop? xD
This is an anime about life... I never heard of everyday life having a plot ;)
And yes, character development was great!
I hope we get to see more of how they got friends soon. Up till now I always accepted that they have known each other for a long time but now I want to see more of their past...
Nov 9, 2011 6:39 AM

Oct 2011
animehobbit said:

Where could anyone even expect plot development if there is no plot to develop? xD
This is an anime about life... I never heard of everyday life having a plot ;)
And yes, character development was great!
I hope we get to see more of how they got friends soon. Up till now I always accepted that they have known each other for a long time but now I want to see more of their past...

Ok it's not plot of everyday life but routine ;)

I don't know if there is need to show more of their past - for me this was used just to show more about Maon - as only way not to leave her aside.
Norie is hyperactive, Potte makes photos... but this whistling and shyness makes it hard. And those two episodes made it perfectly - once by how others see her and than how it all began (plus those Sketchbook-like monologues).
This thing is what I like very much in Tamayura... and now it seems that it will be Kaoru turn ;)
Nov 9, 2011 8:50 AM

Aug 2010
Maon is a giant MOE-bomb. She killed me times and again in this ep. Especially young Maon with her pullover-hiding and super-shyness <3
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 9, 2011 11:30 AM

Jul 2010
Another Maon centered episode huh? It was nice to learn where her whistling originated. Very nice character development!

And oh my gawd, the whole gang as kids was so adorable. =D

Nov 9, 2011 11:54 AM

Sep 2008
Dang, that whistling bitch was actually cute once upon a time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 9, 2011 12:37 PM

Dec 2009
MarukoM said:

I nearly died of laughter when it cut from Maon to Fu and then back to Maon with her sweater over her face. XD
Ara ara.
Nov 9, 2011 9:27 PM

Feb 2010
"sweater-over-the face" was the best part. hands down.
Nov 10, 2011 3:49 AM
Dec 2007
Very cute and heartwarming episode, but it got somewhat corny when Norie-chan learned to interpret Maon-tan's whistling (and they talked about reaching other people's hearts). I don't expect a lot of realism from a healing series and I like the heartwarming moments, but that part just wasn't very subtle.
Other than that...I really like little Maon-tan and it's nice to know why she started whistling. Episodes 5 and 6 are my favorites so far.
Nov 11, 2011 7:32 AM

Nov 2007
jesus Maon is just too adorable...way too adorable
Nov 11, 2011 9:43 AM

Jun 2009
Maon is over the top adorable this episode.

When I saw Norie started crying... I pretty much guessed the rest would too >__< kids cry so easily and so easily cheered up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2011 5:45 AM

Aug 2007
I really like this episode and how the four girls met.
Nov 12, 2011 2:32 PM

Apr 2010
So that's why they felled like they had seen the inn before in episode 4 they had already been there ones before.
It was a rather cute episode and they all seemed like such nice children when they where young.
Seeing a bit of Maon's past was nice and i wonder if we will get to see some more of it as well.
Nov 13, 2011 11:40 PM

Nov 2010
Great episode. Maon was cute.

Anybody else think that Maon's ability to whistle is somehow rule breaking? I can't even whistle more the one tone, and it's been almost twenty years. She whistled a tune on her fourth or fifth try OTL.
Nov 19, 2011 3:37 AM

Mar 2010
This series always makes me such a sniveling baby!!
When they started crying I cried out, 'AWWW!!!' I mean who wouldn't, right?
But I totally didn't expect to start tearing up myself!! I was surprised!
But this sweet amazing anime has a way of creeping up on your feelings and making you feel all warm and fuzzy inside~;w;
This episode was incredibly sweet as well~♥

Dec 19, 2011 9:50 AM

Jul 2011
I loved that episode. And Im starting to like this anime even more with every watched episode.
+ this ep was awesome cuz Maon is my fav char :P xD
5/5
Jan 30, 2012 1:24 AM

Sep 2011
It was fate! No, it was DESTINY! :D
Feb 20, 2013 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Heh, its' funny how whistling can be an instrument used to befriends others. I should try that sometimes.
Feb 24, 2013 8:15 AM

Sep 2011
Their kid versions were so adorable :D
Another Maon-centered ep? I like Maon, but I just like the others so much more :/ It was enjoyable though :)

Here's hoping for an episode dedicated to Kao :)
May 9, 2013 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
RazielZero said:
Their kid versions were so adorable :D
Another Maon-centered ep? I like Maon, but I just like the others so much more :/ It was enjoyable though :)

Here's hoping for an episode dedicated to Kao :)

I saw most of your 710 forum posts. It's annoying >.<

Anyways, nice episode
Jul 21, 2013 3:45 AM

Oct 2009
awww so much moe~ (●´∀`)ノ♡
Nov 6, 2013 7:42 PM

Dec 2012
That was so ridiculously adorable at the beginning when they were all little. Maon's ninja sweater hiding her face. Now it makes sense why whistling is so important to her, she's able to connect to others because of it. That was funny at the end when they're trying to interpret her whistles.
Jan 11, 2014 6:19 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Surprised by the new trait assumed by the plot, which shifts its focus on the character of Maon! Much tact and gentleness, this beautiful setting.
Slow narration typical of slice of life but not soporific, like a dream. In addition you feel the stretch moe, but but rather the sweetness and naturalness of the four girls. How cute the way to meets and get to know the girls. Ah! Then Norie was the first to know Maon. Pure cute little detail that you often see, to show the characters with different hairstyles.
Jun 29, 2014 3:50 PM

May 2012
Pretty cute back story I must say, quite liked the first really adorable part and the second one was just as lovely! Let's see what's next.
Aug 25, 2014 7:04 AM

Feb 2014
That first half was the cutest thing I've seen in a while, especially Maon with her little story about a shy princess was really adorable. All these Maon centric episodes are making her slowly grow on me (not that I hated her). And knowing her backstory has made her whistling a little more tolerable.
Nov 24, 2014 2:46 AM

Feb 2013
We see the origin of how Maon bean whistkeing and how she became friends with Norie. All the girls met before when they were little! But it looks like none of them remember that. Cute and good episode.
Jun 17, 2015 9:52 PM

Jul 2013
In the next episode of X-Files Mulder and Scully arrive on a small remote Japanese island where people commit suicide after hearing a mysterious tune.
Jul 19, 2015 7:02 AM

Aug 2013
Best episode so far.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 18, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2015
Another Maon-centered episode about the reason for her whistling. Kinda love the main cast in loli forms.
Aug 12, 2016 8:53 AM

Oct 2012
Maon's whistling backstory was a tad contrived I felt, but very cute. The second half was really nice, I hope the other girls get as much focus as Maon has been getting.
Dec 27, 2016 11:36 PM

May 2014
Oooh man what an amazing episode! Cuteness overload, and we finally got see the moment that made me start watching this anime:

Loved the backstory provided here, kawaii overdose!
794Dec 27, 2016 11:42 PM
Nov 19, 2019 8:05 AM

Oct 2015
This episode was more Maon/Norie oriented. Loved the warm backstory of how they became friends. They understood each other from the get go.

Beautiful!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 29, 2022 1:00 PM

Aug 2018
So did this actually happen?.. Well, maybe they forgot, it was deep childhood, after all, you can forget everything there..
Norie depressed?.. Why?..
Ok, so some person refused her sweets..
Sweet to see how Norie and Maon got to know each other and become friends.. Well, that's why they became friends, I think.. Because were able to talk about some very important things, close to themselves.. Well, among other things, of course..
Oct 12, 2022 6:49 AM
Oct 2019
This turns Norie's understanding of Maon's whistles from a funny cute joke to something more meaningful and sweet. God I love this show!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tamayura: Hitotose Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 18, 2011

55 by s1k1b »»
Feb 3, 10:32 AM

Poll: » Tamayura: Hitotose Episode 5 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 30, 2011

40 by Hahi-no-Tenshi »»
May 5, 2023 3:31 PM

» Explaining how to watch Tamayura: Hitotose

NeoVenezia - Mar 7, 2013

6 by Ghefira »»
Apr 16, 2023 9:59 PM

» I really want to like this anime, but Norie puts me off so hard

Orzi - Oct 16, 2016

3 by SlammyHammy »»
Aug 7, 2022 4:08 PM

Poll: » Tamayura: Hitotose Episode 3 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 17, 2011

39 by rz21c97 »»
Jun 27, 2022 9:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.