Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magic Knight Rayearth 2
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2011 12:05 PM

Dec 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, that was a cute ending. This series was just full of cliches and was cheesy, but I'm glad I started watching this. However, although they managed to make Cephiro a better place, it just saddened me that they left for good. After they had gained so much more this second time they went to Cephiro, they are apparently not returning. They left everybody behind but I guess what matters is that they accomplished what they had to do. I give this series a 7 out of 10.
Dec 9, 2014 10:36 PM

Jun 2010
Not a lot really happened in those 29 episodes. I'm sure it could have been done in at most half the time.
May 3, 2015 11:47 AM

Feb 2014
Awww I like happy endings. The final battle with Debonair was awesome (although the part with all the Cephiro residents being like: "Let's believe in ourselves!" was kinda cheesy), Nova went back into Hikaru's heart, and the pillar system was eradicated. I wish the magic knights could've spent a little more time in Cephiro before they were transported back to Tokyo tower.

Huh so the magic knights summoned themselves back to Cephiro because of the will in their hearts? Okay. Wasn't really expecting that, since Earth isn't a land of will...at least not in the same way as Cephiro. When Nova said: "I was all alone", I was thinking that the magic knights were able to come back because there was still a piece of them back in Cephiro. Idk whatever

Naww I love this series. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2016 8:18 PM
Dec 2014
Well that was a fun ride. Not as good as the first season but highly enjoyable. And a happy ending *SNIF*
Oct 24, 2016 12:56 AM

Apr 2011
The ending was happy! [sorta!]

All in all, a worthy 2nd season, but not quite as good as the first one.
[the only real improvement was the romantic developments were handled a lot better/at a less breakneck speed.]

7/10

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonJul 7, 2017 5:19 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jul 7, 2017 3:10 AM

Nov 2011
I feel like this show is kind of like the original Mobile Suit Gundam in that, while definitely flawed, it contains elements of genius and excellent writing that still carry it far beyond those flaws. Though in the end I wouldn't say those elements carry this quite as far as the former, it was definitely better than my typical likeable watch and is worthy of praise.

Something else interesting that I think goes past the public eye is that this series appears to have in some respects laid the groundwork for other incredible mahou shoujo titles that came after, namely Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, despite those being very different shows. I won't get into the parallels one can draw between this and those for the sake of not spoiling aspects of those shows for those who haven't seen them, but it's very interesting all the same.

And well, of course, this was a very fun and satisfying series on top of it all. It really rose from the cliches it built its base with and became something special in its own way. I'll definitely keep fond memories of Magic Knight Rayearth.
TripleSRankApr 14, 2018 10:13 AM
Mar 25, 2018 5:39 PM

Nov 2011
It's worth noting that in the manga, about where the anime ends,

Feb 6, 2019 12:50 PM

Aug 2012
Well that was a satisfactory ending, though not a great one.

Surprised somewhat about the Debonair fight being left to the last few moments. She wasn't really fleshed out much and her motivations weren't really well established. Though now we know that her whole existence was because of the fear in the populous of Cephiro so I guess she was pretty 1 dimensional as the main villain. But at least that origin made her adoption of Nova make alot more sense.

The moment that they leave was pretty rushed and underwhelming sadly, especially for 1 character. Firstly Umi being into Clef was just a non starter for me, it had no depth or reason to be a thing. Should have just done the Ascot x Umi thing. But screw that what an anti climatic and underwhelming end to the relationship of Fuu and Ferio!!!. This was the only romance in the show that had any depth or development, it was built over pretty much the whole series and it ends just like that!? What a letdown.

Not only that but it plays second fiddle at the end to the crap supposed 'romance' of Hikaru and Lantis, I mean Hikaru and Lantis barely shared any screen time together and exchanged very few words. Every time Hikaru proclaimed her love for Lantis I believed it less and less, there was just no reason for them to be in love. It was never shown. The whole self torment angle for Hikaru in the middle of this season that pretty much continued to the end didn't really ever work for me either.

I have to say while I did enjoy this season (despite my typing's suggesting otherwise) it certainly did not justify being 29 episodes. As others mentioned in this thread not alot happened in this season. It could have easily have taken half the time or probably even a third. It just seemed like a whole lot of going round in circles of waiting for the new pillar. The countries invading proved to be completely pointless in the end, it really did mean nothing that stuff, like at all. Which is pretty disappointing upon reflection. Lady Asaka was fun but yeah her being in the show only slowed the plot down and filled time.

Hmmm I was going to give this season a 7 anyway just like I did the first season. But the more I think about it the less I feel that is appropriate. I mean stuff actually happens throughout the first season, they adventure, they evolve as characters and the ending wasn't left to the last 10 minutes like the second season. Where they don't adventure, they just fight and fight and fight in the bland grey skies against a totally in the end pointless enemy. And when they aren't doing that they are standing around waiting for the new pillar to appear in the dreariest least interesting looking castle perhaps ever.

Yeah I think I'm going to bump this season down to a 6. I still found the show engaging but it turns out that while hashing out my thoughts apparently I have some issues with this season.
Jul 21, 2020 10:05 AM

Jul 2016
This show had many flaws and while the animation and the mecha on mecha fights weren't really that good, I still loved this season. In fact, a lot more than the first one since they dropped the super predictable episodic formula. The first season's ending was still better and more impactful (IMO) though and even after this season's end a few things were left unanswered. What happened to Autozam?

I really loved this as a romance/war anime and really enjoyed the character development. That really carried this season through.

Somewhat too slow-paced but I'd still call this one of my favorite mecha series. An interesting mix of girly romance and magic with robots and a bit of sci-fi. Solid 8/10 for me.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jan 18, 2022 10:14 PM

Nov 2021
Couple of thoughts:

Did anyone else think the show implied that Lady Debonair could have been a shadow of Alcyone's heart created from the unrequited love and the grief of Zagato's death.

If the girls hearts had never wanted to return would Eagle have been able to be the pillar on his own?
Jul 7, 2022 7:50 AM

Jan 2020
Finally at the last episode. I really struggled to finish the back-half of this season. It felt like such a chore to sit down and watch this. At this point, whatever happens, I'm just glad to get this checked off my list.

Surprisingly the final battle with Debonair lasted longer than I thought, and it was probably one of the more interesting battles to watch this season. Unfortunately, I just didn't really care all that much. We never got much from her about her motivations or anything, so it just feels like a random cap on the end of this story.

Overall, I feel like this season was disorganized. It felt like they were trying to be more ambitious, while at the same time not fully utilizing all the time and episodes they had. I'd be willing to bet this had more filler and padding than the previous season, despite getting more episodes.

That all being said, I am rather torn about what to score this. On one hand, there were some strong moments in the beginning, but it just seemed to fizzle out as we approached the end. I feel like I enjoyed the first season more, even though they may end up getting the same score from me -- I'd almost call this a 6.5/10 but since I can't that basically forces me to round up.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Dec 9, 2022 4:08 PM
Aug 2009
Amberleh said:
It's worth noting that in the manga, about where the anime ends,

I dont say this often but the manga ending was so much better and made a lot of sense in terms of story telling... Anime ending was just your basic battle we win. Both good, but I would of rather have seen that manga ending haha.
May 17, 2023 10:21 PM

Sep 2020
Good, bittersweet ending. Pretty much all to say. I actually expected all 3 girls to become the pillar and the crown split into pieces among them. Kinda disappointed that Hikaru stole the show, even though she was always telegraphed to be the chosen one.

Like others, this season was less enjoyable than the 1st and was a chore to finish. Too long, too much angst and a glut of uninteresting battles, and not enough humor and adventure. Don't get me started on the "romance." Guess they wrote themselves in a tight spot since they couldn't exactly travel around powering up again to fight the new baddie. I didn't feel Debonair was a good enough villain either, and Nova became annoying fast.

I liked the idea of the other countries invading to gain Cephiro's power and wishes to end up learning it was all misconceptions, but I couldn't give less of a damn for the characters (Asuka and the Tatra sisters were fun, though, especially because Inoue Kikuko keeps turning up coincidentally in nearly every show I've been watching). Speaking of which, who/what granted Hikaru's wish? Some unknown gods watching everybody suffer for no reason? I just thought that being the pillar itself gave you the power, but I probably missed that info since my attention kept wandering.

I've had the manga forever but never read, guess I'll have to now.

7.5 giant Sang Yungs /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth II Episode 23 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Nov 5, 2011

6 by GarouWolf »»
Apr 12, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth II Episode 22 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Oct 29, 2011

6 by GarouWolf »»
Apr 7, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth II Episode 21 Discussion

5 by GarouWolf »»
Mar 19, 7:40 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth II Episode 20 Discussion

7 by GarouWolf »»
Mar 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth II Episode 19 Discussion

6 by GarouWolf »»
Mar 17, 9:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.