Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Government To Sell Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 3, 2011 9:43 AM

Jan 2011
Salinga said:
VioLink said:
Salinga said:
VioLink said:
cr4sian_phil said:
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....

That would be pretty awesome actually.

Live action Hitman reborn and Soul eater would be pretty Cool also.

I think a live-action Baccano! would work perfectly for an adaptation. The only unfortunate thing is that they'd probably have to tone down the violence.

YEAH since it's so American themed it would be a awesome adaption and tell a great story!! Tiger & Bunny would make a nice adaption also.

I'm not sure about Tiger and Bunny since I haven't seen it, but if it's a superhero series those tend to be well-liked in America. C:
Tiger and bunny has slot of American themes in it and the location is based off new york in the 1990's xD.
[center]
Nov 3, 2011 9:46 AM
Aug 2008
We are fucked...
Nov 3, 2011 9:53 AM

Jun 2011
All im going to say is Dragonball Evolution we all know what that was like -.-

Oh and they could not even do Avatar the last airbender film right and that was from a western cartoon that had an anime style.
DragoonDeusNov 3, 2011 9:57 AM
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Nov 3, 2011 10:01 AM
Mar 2011
Slicer22 said:
All im going to say is Dragonball Evolution we all know what that was like -.-

Oh and they could not even do Avatar the last airbender film right and that was from a western cartoon that had an anime style.

hell not ven comic book book movies cnnot be done right
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2011 10:10 AM

Apr 2011
... I wonder exactly how many interesting ways they will fuck this up.
Nov 3, 2011 10:37 AM

Mar 2009
Smochi said:
It says the people behind the project will be working WITH American producers, not just palming it off to whoever. Hopefully they'll be more familiar with the anime being adapted and will discuss it at length with the American producers to work through the cultural differences and reach a compromise, rather than the films ending up totally Americanised.

However, you also have to consider the fact that while anime originally comes from Japan, the Japanese may not necessarily have as much creative control over the adaptation. In the end, Hollywood does tend to Americanize anything and everything, and may use the excuse of marketing to North American audiences as justification for their creative decisions.

I can see successful adaptations of anime that has nothing to do with Asia working (e.g. Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop to some extent, Porco Rosso), because Hollywood is one racist motherlover, but not for any anime that has Asian influences. All Hollywood does is typecast us into kung-fu masters, evil businessmen, or an illegal traders of sorts. Or, they purposely hire Chinese people with accents; it's just really a white man's view of Asian culture. :| I've really yet to see Hollywood step forward, as Nickelodeon did with Avatar: The Last Airbender, providing quality work that respects our heritage.

I swear, if they put another random white guy in a samurai story to get the "American's point of view", or cast non-Asians in roles specifically for Asians, we may as well be written off as mooks. I'm so tired of seeing movies from a white man's perspective. I want to watch a movie with an Asian protagonist being cast as anything a white man could be.

Edit: It also would be really nice if they'd separate castings by country, or at least make us look the part. Like, Koreans don't look Chinese, OK? Nor do they sound like them. Get some damn Asian friends. Of course, we're pretty much grouped all as Asians to them, so it really doesn't matter in their eyes, I guess.
sentiariiNov 3, 2011 10:44 AM
Nov 3, 2011 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
Hell of a way to waste 6 billion yen...

Confucius said:
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...

qft
Nov 3, 2011 10:50 AM

Jul 2009
layfonkun said:

What would you know? Nothing has happened yet, and you're complaining when this could turn out to be something good.
Confucius said:
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...

layfonkun said:
qft

You don't provide anything to back that statement up. Three letters do not mean that opinion is a fact.

I bet most people here just want to post something without even bothering to read the article, understand it, or have any common sense. Instead, jumping to conclusions and short/non existent sentences are all I see.
Nov 3, 2011 10:56 AM

Aug 2010
So okay yeah I understand the license part. But they will also be making anime movies in Hollywood?? Huh, what??? :o
Nov 3, 2011 10:58 AM
Dec 2009
AdamHeroKid said:
layfonkun said:

What would you know? Nothing has happened yet, and you're complaining when this could turn out to be something good.
Confucius said:

layfonkun said:
qft

You don't provide anything to back that statement up. Three letters do not mean that opinion is a fact.

I bet most people here just want to post something without even bothering to read the article, understand it, or have any common sense. Instead, jumping to conclusions and short/non existent sentences are all I see.

Yeah. Well what are you gonna do about it, people do hat they want (but that doesn't include me), also i'm not being rude or anything but if i sound like then i'm sorry for hurting your feelings although i do actually agree with what you just said but i'm just saying it as a general thing because it's us humans AAR? So don't take it to heart, alright?

Nov 3, 2011 11:10 AM
Apr 2011
*sigh Another disaster in the making. Hollywood tends to Americanize everything. They don't care if they ruined the original plot as long as they earn money. Just take a look at Resident Evil films. The recent RE film blatantly copied a scene in RE5 but couldn't even match the cutscene from the game in terms of quality. But the director doesn't mind because the film grossed 200 million and is even planning to make another trash-sequel. Now imagine your favorite anime series being directed by Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson. These directors doesn't have an ounce of respect to the original material. The sad part is, the people who are not fans will obviously be turned off when they saw a garbage adaptation. They will automatically think that the anime/manga sucks too. So in the end its bad publicity for the industry. I know that there are some good comics/novel/game adaptations and it generated interest to the source material but the ratio of good films to bad films is really low.
Nov 3, 2011 11:16 AM

Apr 2011
ahhhh nooo
anime has to be japanese not american ;(
i heard that death note is going to be real life action but than in american style i hope its not true :'(
its going to BE -_-''
Nov 3, 2011 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
Here is the full list

bleach live action
naruto live action
akira live action
ghost in the shell live action
cowboy bebop live action
battle angel alita live action
afro samurai live action

I have high hopes for battle angel alita (James Cameron come on!)
ghost in the shell (Spielberg!!!)
and cowboy bebop
Nov 3, 2011 11:30 AM

Jul 2009
ravagestorm said:
*sigh Another disaster in the making. Hollywood tends to Americanize everything. They don't care if they ruined the original plot as long as they earn money. Just take a look at Resident Evil films. The recent RE film blatantly copied a scene in RE5 but couldn't even match the cutscene from the game in terms of quality.

First Resident Evil Movie=British-German, Resident Evil: Apocalypse=Canadian-British, Resident Evil: Extinction=Canadian-British, Resident Evil: Afterlife=Canadian-German. None of those are Hollywood movies.

ravagestorm said:
Now imagine your favorite anime series being directed by Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson.

You only named two directors when there's plenty that are better. And Uwe Boll is a German director, most of his movies aren't even Hollywood but Canadian and German movies.
Nov 3, 2011 11:34 AM
Apr 2011
izotoppu said:

I have high hopes for battle angel alita (James Cameron come on!)
ghost in the shell (Spielberg!!!)
and cowboy bebop
izotoppu said:

Cameron is too busy with Avatar. I think we will have to wait 5-7 years for Battle Angel Alita.

Anyway here is my list:
1. Black Lagoon by Quentin Tarantino.
2. Death Note "Gaiden" by Christopher Nolan
3. Claymore by Zack Snyder
Nov 3, 2011 11:37 AM
Oct 2008
ravagestorm said:
The sad part is, the people who are not fans will obviously be turned off when they saw a garbage adaptation. They will automatically think that the anime/manga sucks too. So in the end its bad publicity for the industry. I know that there are some good comics/novel/game adaptations and it generated interest to the source material but the ratio of good films to bad films is really low.

If people aren't fans of anime in the first place, they won't get into it through a Hollywood blockbuster. And anime and manga already sucks anyway. Just go into any "X has been announced to get animated" thread here in MAL and see how many people are moaning and groaning and complaining that the industry is shit. The industry relies mainly on domestic sales and this will ultimately have no effect. Anime will stay the same as it's always been: hated by everyone on this site because it isn't as psychological or mature as "it used to be".
Nov 3, 2011 11:45 AM
Sep 2010
Whatever spells more cash in their pockets and less in ours :L
Nov 3, 2011 11:51 AM
Apr 2011
jpp8 said:

If people aren't fans of anime in the first place, they won't get into it through a Hollywood blockbuster.

I'm not a fan of comics yet after watching Watchmen, Kick Ass and 300 I suddenly had this interest to buy the original graphic novel. You see good movies will generate interest to the source material which in turn will be a profit for the author. You don't have to be fan just to watch a movie you know...

AdamHeroKid said:
ravagestorm said:
Now imagine your favorite anime series being directed by Uwe Boll or Paul Anderson.

You only named two directors when there's plenty that are better. And Uwe Boll is a German director, most of his movies aren't even Hollywood but Canadian and German movies.

You missed the point of my post. Read again. You just spliced a part of my post and made it to look like I was praising Boll and Anderson.
Nov 3, 2011 11:56 AM

Jul 2009
ravagestorm said:

You missed the point of my post. Read again. You just spliced a part of my post and made it to look like I was praising Boll and Anderson.

No I did not miss anything. You said "Hollywood tends to Americanize everything. They don't care if they ruined the original plot as long as they earn money. Just take a look at Resident Evil films." You included the Resident Evil films as Hollywood films.

jpp8 said:
The industry relies mainly on domestic sales and this will ultimately have no effect.

You actually believe that? It would have a very negative effect if the industry didn't have any international sales.
Nov 3, 2011 11:57 AM

Feb 2008
JustALEX said:

It's funny because I didn't see people bitching about a Japanese actor playing "L" even though he's NOT Japanese but British :/

That example doesn't really work like, at all. You comparing a semi-homogenous Country to a very diverse country. A country where most of the population is Japanese and any casting call will be answer by Japanese actors, to a country where the director (or whoever is in charge of it) says "We should make the protagonist white to appeal to the larger audience." To take this off of anime let's talk about Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. One of the reasons he originally rejected having a movie adaptation was because they wanted to make the black lead white (the other reason being that they wanted to remove the magical elements, but really, that's a whole other can of worms.)
Nov 3, 2011 12:01 PM
Apr 2011
AdamHeroKid said:
ravagestorm said:

No I did not miss anything. You said "Hollywood tends to Americanize everything. They don't care if they ruined the original plot as long as they earn money. Just take a look at Resident Evil films." You included the Resident Evil films as Hollywood films.

My reply was for the second one that you quoted.
Nov 3, 2011 12:01 PM
Oct 2008
ravagestorm said:

I'm not a fan of comics yet after watching Watchmen, Kick Ass and 300 I suddenly had this interest to buy the original graphic novel. You see good movies will generate interest to the source material which in turn will be a profit for the author. You don't have to be fan just to watch a movie you know...
Yes, it generated an interest for you to buy those specific titles, but is your room flooded in the complete works of Alan Moore or will you become a Graphic Novel enthusiast in general? A few movies about anime/manga won't spell out the end for anime and manga in general nor will it generate a relatively large faction of fans that only got into it through the films. This project will not have an impact on anime or manga overall.
AdamHeroKid said:
You actually believe that? It would have a very negative effect if the industry didn't have any international sales.
And that's why the prices of bluray volumes in Japan are much more inflated domestically than they are over here. Bluray volumes with 2 episodes and extras cost about 7500 yen while you could get a whole series here in America on DVD for even less than that. Anime doesn't sell as much internationally as it does domestically.
jigglyppuff8Nov 3, 2011 12:07 PM
Nov 3, 2011 12:13 PM

Aug 2011
AdamHeroKid said:
layfonkun said:

Confucius said:

layfonkun said:
qft

Ooh ooh! I can play this game too!

You don't give any proof that debunks other peoples' criticisms. Therefore, your "common sense" is on the same level of those you criticize.

Did I win?
Nov 3, 2011 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Mite b cool

Hopefully some good directors take a stab at this.
I would love to see what David Fincher would make of a live action anime adaption. That would be killer.
Nov 3, 2011 12:29 PM

Feb 2008
jpp8 said:
The industry relies mainly on domestic sales and this will ultimately have no effect. Anime will stay the same as it's always been: hated by everyone on this site because it isn't as psychological or mature as "it used to be".

Are you sure it's hated because it's not "as psychological or mature as it used to be." and not "because it's an industry over-saturated with moeblob and ecchi," because, and I'm not Doc Scratch or anything, but it really looks like its more the latter than the former, but I will say that your statement is just adorable.

Say what you want about those type of series, like them or hate them, and say what you want about the other things you see a lot of like shounen anime, but the difference between that moe/ecchi side, and that shonen/shoujo/yaoi/what-have-you side is that with the latter you can at least give some leeway. With "A young boy goes on a journey to save the world," you can at least hope to see that boy growing up, falling in and out of love and questioning whether he can save the world or not as opposed to "four girls start a club where they do wacky things because it's adorable," which is exactly what it says on the tin.
Nov 3, 2011 12:33 PM

Jul 2011
Edge12 said:
I think they are trying to infiltrate the Western Industry that they will get the Rights to air all Japanese Movies in America. Meaning that every Animé & Movies will get to pass in their hands before they air it in America, instead of just selling the license to an American Company that will air it; they will be the ones to air it. Also it would increase the visibility of Animé merchandise on the market of America. That's what I think expanding the scope of Animé around the world.

dtshyk said:
The company will acquire film rights of Japanese anime and toys and produce movies in Hollywood with producers in the US. INCJ plans to acquire ten film rights and an investment of three billion yen in the first three years.

Sounds a lot like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_ownership
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Nov 3, 2011 12:39 PM

May 2011
Confucius said:

I cringe and cower at the sight of it.
Nov 3, 2011 1:40 PM

Oct 2011
Maybe this won't suck as much as everyone is making it out to.
And if the re-make Death Note live-action I will be extremly happy! But if they dont find the right L and Raito I will give up all hope for America XD
Nov 3, 2011 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
cr4sian_phil said:
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....

One Piece doesn't have nearly enough popularity in America to get a Hollywood movie, plus it would never work as live action.
Hollywood can do whatever they want to Naruto and Bleach though, can't be any worse than what they've already turned themselves into.
Nov 3, 2011 1:46 PM

Mar 2011
JustALEX said:

It's quite simple....go after anime that doesn't rely so much on fantasy/battle plot...

Death Note CAN work, it's a police drama theme which Hollywood has already excelled in, they don't have to worry about super powers or swords, or martial arts or nothing too special.

The only problem will be if anime fans can stop being so retarded about there being a "White" person playing Light Yagami...

It's funny because I didn't see people bitching about a Japanese actor playing "L" even though he's NOT Japanese but British :/

Something like Death Note has universal appeal and can transcend its medium, probably why it's so easy to get people who don't/haven't watched anime before to watch it. I know I've introduced like 3 non-anime fans to it and it got them to start watching anime because of it, you just have to make sure you don't alienate the viewers by showing them something that they can't relate to or don't understand or aren't used to. If it's a good story and it's done well then it won't matter what the source material is, people will still enjoy it.

That having been said, I'm quite afraid of them messing this up or tailoring things so much to the audience that it is near-recognizable. Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best...
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Nov 3, 2011 2:02 PM
Aug 2010
I don't expect any of them to be good. I'll keep my hopes up though.
"To define is to limit."
--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Nov 3, 2011 2:15 PM

Aug 2011
HawthorneKitty said:
Live Action School Days?

LOOL!!!! you know what, that'd be great!!! XD
Nov 3, 2011 2:18 PM

Oct 2008
I can almost guarantee that all of these movies will probably have an "American" twist, such as the Akira live-action film, set in New York City. 'Tis a shame; a real shame. detracts from the authenticity and integrity of the original story and is a slap in the face to the respected creators.
Nov 3, 2011 2:35 PM

May 2008
..for the love of god.

Nov 3, 2011 3:38 PM
Feb 2009
They never learn their lessons do they???...¬_¬...
Nov 3, 2011 3:48 PM
Sep 2007
Seeing how badly they screwed up Avatar: The Last Airbender and Dragon Ball, my hopes aren't high for how good they'll make these. But we'll see.
Nov 3, 2011 4:14 PM

Jul 2011
Wait a second, what do they mean by "Anime", I mean it's like all anime or what?
Anyway, Hollywood is a piece of shit, and nothing good can come out of this.
Nov 3, 2011 4:24 PM

Jun 2011
I see a lot more live-actions coming our way.
Oh no.
Nov 3, 2011 4:28 PM

Jun 2010
Sounds like their trying to westernize anime. That sounds bad to me.
Nov 3, 2011 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
We'll see how it goes, however I can imagine it to flop big time unless the directors are anime fans like us :P
Nov 3, 2011 4:31 PM
Mar 2008
Confucius said:

Also my feelings. We all know what happened with Dragon Ball -_-;
Nov 3, 2011 4:32 PM
Mar 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Live Action School Days?

Hahaha! You just had to.
Nov 3, 2011 5:06 PM
Nov 2008
Kazeshini said:
I don't care what they're trying to do for the Anime industry, it'll bring more bad than good...
Yeah, fuck exposure...

...Wait...

This entire thread is full of negativity. There are more bad video game film adaptations than anime.
Nov 3, 2011 5:15 PM

Oct 2011
Onibokusu said:
Kazeshini said:
I don't care what they're trying to do for the Anime industry, it'll bring more bad than good...
Yeah, fuck exposure...

...Wait...

This entire thread is full of negativity. There are more bad video game film adaptations than anime.

I feel the same way! I dont think we can really judge anything that hasn't even happened YET.
I don't think we're giving America enough credit :x
Nov 3, 2011 5:31 PM

Jun 2010
@ NinjaNeachy and Onibokusu:

So...what you guys are saying...is that...there's still....HOPE?!
Nov 3, 2011 5:45 PM

Apr 2010
negativedemyx said:
@ NinjaNeachy and Onibokusu:

So...what you guys are saying...is that...there's still....HOPE?!

Yes. Don't lose faith so early!
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 3, 2011 5:54 PM

Mar 2008
I dunno about this. Hollywood does do a good job in making comics movie most of the time, but I don't know how they're going about making anime into movies. Dragonball failed pretty bad, but I'm willing to give them another chance.
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." -Friedrich Nietzsche | Last.fm

Nov 3, 2011 5:55 PM
Mar 2011
cant judge right list time stuff messed u[p by us adaptations
kamen rider black/rx
metal heros
Gojira
sentai [ kakuranger and up]
gundam
-----
will they learn
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2011 6:07 PM
Jul 2011
Considering "The Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift" is the first exposure to Japanese culture for many American citizens....

...Yeah, I can't see that becoming anything good.
Nov 3, 2011 6:52 PM
Apr 2010
Hmm bad Idea, Investing to buy the rights and then sell them? That makes no sense at all.

The few anime inspired adaptation made in the states have been severely under budget films, due to the uncertainty on the movie companies' part on how we would react to it.
They should Invest to buy rights and then help fund them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by dodoxdo97 »»
2 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 11 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.