Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 1, 2011 9:39 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Taichi and Chihaya going to visit Arata after the phone call yesterday.

According to neighbor girl, he's part-timing.

She's rushing, and Taichi slowing her down, then Arata went past by bicycle! Interesting how Taichi wanted to hold her hand before that.

Arata telling them to go back, while Chihara trying to convince him. Oh, so his grandpa passed away.

Even the neighbor girl pushed karuta cards back. According to her, he took care of him most of time, and he passed away while he was away receiving award for karuta level up.

Arata looking through notes with Chihaya's letter while alone. Chihaya considers Arata as God of Karuta, and Arata wanted to be her friend.

Chihaya regretting visiting him, and seeing him riding to see them off.

Daichi promised to be in the karuta club together to wait for Arata to be back to karuta.
tsubasaloverNov 1, 2011 11:38 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 1, 2011 10:53 AM

Apr 2010
I just want to know neighbor girl's name...

Edit: I'm retarded
peixNov 1, 2011 9:29 PM
Nov 1, 2011 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
tsubasalover said:
Arata telling them to go back, while Chihara trying to convince him. Oh, so his grandma passed away.

Even the neighbor girl pushed karuta cards back.

He took care of her most of time, and she passed away while he was away receiving award for karuta level up.

...it was Arata's grandpa, not grandma.

Anyway, I guess Arata is an alright guy when he isn't acting like a dick. Still not sure if I prefer him over Taichi though.

Hopefully that new character looking at the karuta poster will spice things up. Things are going good, but some more characters would be welcome.
Nov 1, 2011 11:31 AM

Feb 2008
So this is how the chapter 10 ending, very fast pacing. :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Nov 1, 2011 11:33 AM

Sep 2009
> I just want to know neighbor girl's name...

It mentioned in episode. Her name is Yuu
Nov 1, 2011 11:34 AM

Aug 2010
I teared up. I'm not gonna lie. Chihaya's notes to herself were hilarious! :P

5/5
Nov 1, 2011 11:47 AM

Jun 2011
Great episode. XD
Nov 1, 2011 11:53 AM

Apr 2009
Nice, somehow it feels like the real story is going to start with the next episode.
Nov 1, 2011 12:04 PM

Nov 2007
insipidclownfish said:
...it was Arata's grandpa, not grandma.

Thanks for your correction.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 1, 2011 12:10 PM

Nov 2007
Yet another lovely episode. Gotta love this anime. The more I see this anime the more I fall in love with Chihaya!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 1, 2011 12:11 PM

Nov 2010
So Arata's reason was that simple and shallow. I feel like drop kicking him for being a teenager. Show's going good but would like to see more of Chihayas craziness. Add two drop kicks for Taichi aswell, for giving up.
Nov 1, 2011 12:11 PM

Aug 2007
Chihaya's so pretty. No wonder they both like her. Taichi was a bit aggressive and controlling in this episode - but I still like him despite his flaws. Arata on the bike was cute. I love this anime - it turned into a really surprisingly good one. :)
Nov 1, 2011 12:20 PM
Jun 2009
oh God, the tension between Taichi and Chihaya... my, oh my. I hope for more Taichihaya action!
Nov 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Jun 2008
Arata´s voice *nosebleeds*

Love Arata, Taichi and Chihaya. Period.

ShortTermCrook said:
So Arata's reason was that simple and shallow.

It was not shallow at all. If you loose one of the persons you most love in the world, that played with you everyday, and that died while you were playing away, i dunno why but i have the feeling you would stop playing for a while, you know.

Try to understand the feeling of playing and constantly remembering of your grandfather´s death. Its not particularly motivating.
OrulyonNov 1, 2011 12:27 PM

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Nov 1, 2011 12:22 PM

Oct 2011
insipidclownfish said:
Hopefully that new character looking at the karuta poster will spice things up. Things are going good, but some more characters would be welcome.

I agree with you
Can't wait to see the new character next week
Nov 1, 2011 12:28 PM

Aug 2011
Really did enjoy this episode. was REALLY good, the part where arata came cycling to see chihaya and taichi was plain EPIC! Damn, before this episode, i disliked arata for some reason, but after this episode... he totally gained my respect!!! >_<

ins-chan said:
oh God, the tension between Taichi and Chihaya... my, oh my. I hope for more Taichihaya action!

haha!! me too!! Although i think the next ep wil focus more on the karuta club getting members... anyways, that'd still be good! XD
Nov 1, 2011 12:48 PM

Nov 2007
Akira36 said:
insipidclownfish said:

I agree with you
Can't wait to see the new character next week

Next episode, we will get to see [ZU]
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 1, 2011 12:50 PM

Jan 2011
Orulyon said:
Try to understand the feeling of playing and constantly remembering of your grandfather´s death. Its not particularly motivating.

I agree with this. If someone who watched anime everyday with me died, I couldn't watch anime the same way I do now.
NiyawaNov 1, 2011 1:00 PM
Nov 1, 2011 1:09 PM

Jul 2009
I love this anime so much!!! It has so deep feelings and relationships <3
I quite of understand and I don't blame Arata...He really really misses 'his'Chihaya <3
Nov 1, 2011 1:40 PM

Jan 2009
ShortTermCrook said:
So Arata's reason was that simple and shallow. I feel like drop kicking him for being a teenager. Show's going good but would like to see more of Chihayas craziness. Add two drop kicks for Taichi aswell, for giving up.

Really, that's quite a unique response is all I'll say.

Let's see Arata blames himself for his Grandfather's death, because he was off getting his A rank in karuta instead of watching him. Which I'm sure his Grandfather told him to go to, so it's even harder to take. As a result he gives himself some sort of self loathing punishment by cutting all ties with anything that's related to karuta.

Your right, what a shallow bastard. /sarcasm
Nov 1, 2011 1:46 PM

Aug 2009
New character? o.o

and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! *O* *spazm*

THIS SHOW IS SO AMAZING!!! ;~;

Its so beautiful that it makes me want to cry! ;__;
Nov 1, 2011 1:51 PM
Dec 2007
Fantastic episode as always. The characters' relationship is just perfect !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 1, 2011 1:54 PM

Feb 2010
ShortTermCrook said:
So Arata's reason was that simple and shallow. I feel like drop kicking him for being a teenager.

...uh.

You have got to be kidding me. Shallow!? If you have EVER lost a loved one, and missed them passing away/wasn't there to help because you were off doing something... you wouldn't be able to forgive yourself (or have a terrible time doing so). Every time he plays the game Karuta (Or thinks about it), he's reminded of the day his grandfather died (whom he looked up to, loved, and wasn't WITH when he passed). I couldn't think of a LESS shallow reason to close himself off.

It would be a shallow reason if he stopped because a 'girlfriend' didn't want him to play because it was taking time away from her. That's an example of shallowness.

I would love to hear what you think ISN'T a shallow reason.

Anyways... stellar episode as always. The music is so beautiful and compliments the drama and emotion. Excellent.

Can't wait to meet the new character....
Nov 1, 2011 1:55 PM

Mar 2007
I'm not a big fan of romantic tensions and such, so I love that the next episode is going to be about the karuta club.

Also, I love Chihaya!
Nov 1, 2011 2:00 PM

Oct 2011
It would be nice if they would return to the game :]

episode was ok... of course he will return :) well you could tell it in previous episode

only part which is worrying me are those romance-triangle sugestions along the way... but for now it seems that they didn't go for it

and is it only my impression or there was something weird in way they were running?
Nov 1, 2011 2:19 PM

Aug 2008
shanimebib said:

Next episode, we will get to see [ZU]

LOL, calling her ZU! XD

This episode was great! I was expecting this king of reason but well, who cares when Chihayafuru is so awesome?

And I was like : oh no! when Taichi missed his chance to hold chihaya's hand! :( But taichi should break up with his girlfriend first!
Nov 1, 2011 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
God I cried. This anime has a wonderful atmosphere, so much depth and passion. It's easily one of my favourites in a long time.
Nov 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Jul 2011
Was a 3/5 for the majority of the episode, got a 4 at the end.
Why?

because it appears that neither of the characters understand basic human emotion, and their retarded actions only served to catalyze melodrama.
mdzNov 1, 2011 3:54 PM
Nov 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Nov 2009
Damn. Why train chasing always gets me? ;_;
That scene was f*cking EPIC!
(more train chasing in anime, please!)
I was ready to cry at the chasing scene. That really got me.

5/5 ^^

Taichi and Chihaya FTW! But she won't chose neither Arata, nor Taichi. They'll stay friends. I feel it >.>
Nov 1, 2011 3:00 PM

Oct 2010
Never thought I would have chills in a jap card game anime for 3 of the first 5 episodes. great show so far.
Nov 1, 2011 3:25 PM

Jan 2010
Wow. I can't believe I've cried twice during this anime already. The thing with Arata's grandpa and why he couldn't play anymore was just heartbreaking. And when he was chasing after the train, when he started crying.. God, excuse me while I go and bawl my eyes out.

Oh, and shallow? No.
Nov 1, 2011 3:29 PM

Aug 2010
THIS WAS THE BEST EPISODE YET.
I hope the three of them really reunite again ):
I don't like Taichi and Chihaya as much as Arata and Chihaya
Nov 1, 2011 3:40 PM

Nov 2010
It seems my post piled up some hate already. But I still uphold my statement.

He's a typical teenager portrayed very well. If anything he should blame himself for not finding replacement for the time of exam, not for playing karuta, something his grandpa surely wanted him to do ( DUH ). Plus, if it wasnt simple he wouldnt be just swayed away by brief visit. His resolution was weak because the reason was doubtful.
I won't respond anymore in this topic. We got that character's circumstances cleared in this episode, wont have to debate on anything similar anymore.
Nov 1, 2011 4:04 PM
Jul 2011
This anime definitely won the season for me. It's like a perfect combination of Honey & Clover, Beck, and something I've never seen before.

PS: Dammit, when will the OST come out? This music is gorgeous, and painfully so.
Nov 1, 2011 4:29 PM

Apr 2008
Lol Chihaya! The notes and giving valentines chocolates to Harada-sensei!!?!! Awww really loved Taichi's monologue and all his jealous reactions! But poor Arata, definitely a case of self-infliction due to the guilt and pain...
Nov 1, 2011 4:39 PM
Apr 2010
I'm so glad I didn't drop this series; its just freaking fantastic!!! My emotions were so mixed up, I didn't know what to feel anymore!!!
Nov 1, 2011 5:21 PM

May 2010
That last scene made no sense whatsoever
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 1, 2011 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
I loved this episode, but I agree that Arata's reason for stopping Karuta was bogus.

If he truly loved his grandfather, he would continue the tradition of becoming the absolute best player in the world.

Quitting outright was the cowardly way out, one that screams of self-pity. At least Arata recognized this and came to terms with it.

This is my favorite show of the season, very well done!
Nov 1, 2011 6:21 PM

Sep 2007
I get why people think Arata's reason for quitting are good and all, but I still think it's just kinda silly. If I was gunning to become worlds #1 violinist and my mom who supports and helps teach me stuff died during a competition, I think I'd feel more obligated to become #1 then I would to quit right there and relapse into a corner to waste away in. Also, I think the guy's a little socially retarded. If he still wanted to be friends why'd he need to be such a dick to Chihaya. I mean sure seeing her probably reminds him of karuta AKA his dead grandpa who is dead, but still.

Also, Taichi is reaaally growing on me. He was really annoying as a kid, but his whole onesided love thing since kidhood are just so cute somehow. And his blatant hints at liking Chihaya are just so cute. And yeah. T_T
Nov 1, 2011 6:25 PM

Sep 2008
Yup, still Anime of the season.
It still managed to get a few tears out of me when that letter popped out.

God damn Arata and his sexy voice.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2011 6:49 PM

Jul 2010
Yay Chihaya!!!
I'm surprised that she actually went to visit Arata lol
Chihayas just such a BOSS lulz
Episode with random neighbor girl telling why Arata didn't play Karuta was kinda brute but got better in the end when Arata rode his bike after them.
I thought it was kinda weird though when Chihayas like lets play karuta in this room ! (right next to the grandpa memorial thing)
Nov 1, 2011 7:08 PM

Dec 2007
tofupika said:
I get why people think Arata's reason for quitting are good and all, but I still think it's just kinda silly. If I was gunning to become worlds #1 violinist and my mom who supports and helps teach me stuff died during a competition, I think I'd feel more obligated to become #1 then I would to quit right there and relapse into a corner to waste away in.

What if it was you responsibility to watch over your sickly mother and instead you were doing extra practics at school with your violin? Would it not affect you the slightest that you were not there to watch over her when she died? I think that's what hit Arata hard. I imagine the competition went longer than he and his family had anticipated and so in his absence his grandfather went into relapse.

Anyway, a pretty good episode. I could have done without the train chase scene. I've already seen that 20+ times now x_x
Nov 1, 2011 7:45 PM

Sep 2010
I'm pretty sure every episode so far has made me cry, especially this one. That's a good thing in my books!

I didn't think I liked Taichi, but after this episode, he is such a wonderful character. Even if I don't exactly like him as a person, his character is SO real, and his reactions to Chihaya are beautiful and realistic. I feel so bad for Arata, too.

I still can't get over how gorgeous Chihaya is.

This is shaping up to be one of the best anime I've ever seen.
Nov 1, 2011 8:36 PM

Aug 2010
Poor Taichi, he was about to make a move...
Nov 1, 2011 8:57 PM
Jul 2011
I haven't had a chance to actually watch the episode yet, but based on what I've heard I have some thoughts:

Arata's reasons for quitting don't really make sense to me. His grandfather loved Karuta right? So rejecting Karuta would be like rejecting his grandfather's memory. Quitting would be like an insult to his grandfather and everything he loved. I would think that continuing to play the game his grandfather loved would honor his memory and give Arata something to keep him connected with him.

I feel kind of bad for Taichi's girlfriend, dating a guy who is trying to get into another girl's pants. If he's going to pursue another girl he should at the very least have the decency to end things with his current girlfriend instead of leading her on and essentially trying to cheat on her.

Edit: After getting the chance to see the episode, my above thoughts remain the same.
BDeckerNov 1, 2011 11:00 PM
Nov 1, 2011 9:06 PM

Nov 2008
Taichi's cruch on Chihaya is so adorable, especially the part when he was saying what love was.
Arata's deep voice is sex. Taichi's jealousy/angry faces are sex.
Chihaya grabbing Arata off the bike and then crying saying "I missed you" was hella sweet, adorablee, and full of win. Oh and Taichi trying to grab her hand...SO CLOSE!!
The whole episode was amazing and I freaking love this show!!
Chihaya got mad hearing skills
Nov 1, 2011 9:48 PM

Jan 2008
I shed manly tears.

ShortTermCrook said:

To your previous comment; the only people I feel like drop kicking is trolls, even more so if that's your actual personality, because the way you word it is you'd kick anyone who's human, let alone a teenager.

ShortTermCrook said:
It seems my post piled up some hate already. But I still uphold my statement.

He's a typical teenager portrayed very well. If anything he should blame himself for not finding replacement for the time of exam, not for playing karuta, something his grandpa surely wanted him to do ( DUH ). Plus, if it wasnt simple he wouldnt be just swayed away by brief visit. His resolution was weak because the reason was doubtful.
I won't respond anymore in this topic. We got that character's circumstances cleared in this episode, wont have to debate on anything similar anymore.

Looks like other people fed the troll as well. Well it's no wonder your comment will generate negative feedback. But to each their own, even if their beliefs are completely skewed and fatuous.
Estoy_GordoNov 1, 2011 10:33 PM
Nov 1, 2011 10:14 PM

Jan 2009
lol @ whitebeard's voice on arata's grandpa.so is this yuu going to be the jealous female character now?...
also chihaya can sense/hear arata from miles away.the super power of love
amirhossNov 1, 2011 10:18 PM
Nov 1, 2011 10:57 PM
Jan 2008
I don't know if i'm wrong on this but I think arata stopped playing because he was suppose to watch his grandfather that day instead he went to the tournament. he felt it was his fault that he might have caused his death. if he was there, might have prevented it. and he was probably 12-14 so...=/ well everyone is different. might not affect you but might affect others. but now he is back into the game. can't wait for the next =(
Nov 2, 2011 12:35 AM
Jul 2011
@ amirhoss

Chihaya is very good in hearing. That was mentioned in the 2nd episode , i guess.

Another good episode. 3.5/5
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

216 by minnaslay127 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 27, 2012

232 by Euroqean »»
Feb 10, 2:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.