Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Saki
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 31, 2011 10:16 PM
Nov 2008
Just watched this series. Why is Shojou-ai not one of the genres? I mean, there are enough homo-erotic overtones that I'm surprised the anime doesn't crushed under them. Blushing girls staring deeply into each others' eyes, sleeping curled together, professing eternal love and support to one another...that's most of what happens in this anime! It's like the mahjong is thrown in to provide some tension. It could have been any four player game, and the anime would not be very different. Heck, it could have been Monopoly!

I don't know if I've missed some critical threshold where it becomes shoujo-ai, but it seems to me this that this could be it. It it because it never overtly and explicitly demonstrates sexuality?
Oct 31, 2011 10:47 PM

Sep 2011
daemonblade1229 said:
Is it because it never overtly and explicitly demonstrates sexuality?

yeah, probably this. after taking a look at the "Shoujo-Ai" section of the anime list, it appears to me that the only ones qualified to be in that genre are those in which a yuri relationship is pretty much the focal point of the story.

as heavy as the overtones are in Saki, it simply doesn't fit.

Jan 5, 2012 2:08 PM

Jun 2008
And I thought Canaan pushed it. This has got to be the most yuri non-yuri anime ever. I can't even count how many times I was thinking, "Just kiss already!"
Jan 6, 2012 1:06 AM

May 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
And I thought Canaan pushed it. This has got to be the most yuri non-yuri anime ever. I can't even count how many times I was thinking, "Just kiss already!"

:< I wasnt the only one who thought so <3 ^^
Mar 8, 2012 1:22 PM

Sep 2009
daemonblade1229 said:
I don't know if I've missed some critical threshold where it becomes shoujo-ai, but it seems to me this that this could be it. It it because it never overtly and explicitly demonstrates sexuality?

That shouldn't be the case since MAL itself states that as long as their relationship is strong enough, it's shoujo-ai.
MAL said:
Shoujo Ai - Anime whose central theme is about a relationship (or strong affection, not usually sexual) between two girls or women. Shoujo Ai literally means "girl love".

http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre
Mar 9, 2012 3:22 AM

Dec 2011
But that relationship isn't the central theme of Saki - not even close in fact, no matter how many references and allusions it gets.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 19, 2012 11:09 PM

Sep 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:
But that relationship isn't the central theme of Saki - not even close in fact, no matter how many references and allusions it gets.
IT IS NOT???!!!! Then what is....
Oct 31, 2012 11:43 PM

Oct 2009
Well... Saki is yuri overtones with mahjong undertones. :P

lol.

Well, like kuuderes_shadow said.
Join ★☆Shiraitodai Fan Club☆★ for Mahjong World Domination!!
Oct 31, 2012 11:54 PM

Sep 2012
I prefer to call it YURI than Shoujo-Ai which is a confusing term to use.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 1, 2012 12:17 AM

Dec 2011
I'm surprised it isn't. This is as lesbian as it gets outside of hentai.
Nov 21, 2012 1:44 PM

Nov 2009
Oohoshi_Awai said:
Well... Saki is yuri overtones with mahjong undertones. :P

lol.

Well, like kuuderes_shadow said.

yep, just a lot of yuri overtones, could technically be shoujo-ai but isn't really one since the relationships aren't stated as 'romantic love', just overly blushed friendship.. they fixed it in Achiga-hen though, will probably look lighter in the second season that's about to be released
Mar 6, 2013 12:59 AM

Oct 2010
though this post is old i just wanna ask who are those characters in Redfoxoffire comment
Mar 6, 2013 1:26 PM

Dec 2011
If you mean her sig, Watanabe Saki and Akizuki Maria from Shinsekai Yori - a truly brilliant story, but if you want to watch it for girl's love then that gif contains about 50% of the entire yuri content of the anime.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 6, 2013 5:43 PM
Jul 2018
kuuderes_shadow said:
if you want to watch it for girl's love then that gif contains about 50% of the entire yuri content of the anime.

Hmm let's say 30%, since there actually is a lot of kissing and hugging going on besides this scene :P

But back to the topic, even though this entry is kinda old, I was wondering if this series really contains that much Shoujo Ai. I have already watched 4 episodes and so far, I haven't really seen anything leading into this direction.
Mar 16, 2013 2:20 PM

Oct 2012
...the mahjong is anything but thrown in. Mahjong is the main focal point in this series, not the yuri.

Mar 16, 2013 2:22 PM

Jan 2008
Strangely enough, the rating isn't R for nudity. I guess one episode showing their boobs doesn't count...
Aug 1, 2013 10:15 PM
Sep 2009
the one difference i see between classified shoujo-ai and this is that there's a heterosexual guy in it. Usually they make it that only the girlxgirl exists. I found it rather annoying. I can force myself to believe it's just friendship but it's still a little too over the top.
Aug 18, 2013 5:44 AM

Oct 2009
Never use shoujo-ai again. Use Yuri instead. ;)

It's a yuri anime with mahjong undertones. *shrugged*
Join ★☆Shiraitodai Fan Club☆★ for Mahjong World Domination!!

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know this character from Saki ?

lunalee1294 - Apr 9

2 by lunalee1294 »»
Apr 10, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Saki Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

starrysky - Sep 27, 2009

125 by KenZync »»
Jan 8, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Saki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Plate - Apr 19, 2009

72 by Losthevy »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:53 PM

Poll: » Saki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Plate - Apr 5, 2009

155 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Feb 11, 2023 12:02 AM

» Is this interesting enough for me???

Sylpheed - Jun 30, 2009

4 by removed-user »»
Jan 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.