Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2008 3:22 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Who was that old guy I wonder. Looks like Renton is the depressed one now.
Oct 16, 2008 10:17 AM

Nov 2007
That old guy was....weird.
And Holland is such a jerk to Renton!
Nov 16, 2008 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
hollands a dick
Dec 11, 2008 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
lol awesome slap from talho is awesome.
Jan 17, 2009 1:21 PM

Sep 2008
I can't believe Holland was being such a jerk to Renton when it clearly wasn't his fault about what happened. Maybe he's feeling over stressed about Eureka's health.

Feb 4, 2009 6:45 AM

Jun 2008
lol hollands an asshole
and so was renton kinda

Jun 13, 2009 1:42 AM

Jan 2009
Holland puching Renton felt completely out of character. What did Renton do to deserve that? I mean, he did save the Nirvash after all.

Jun 30, 2009 7:14 PM

Apr 2009
Holland's been punching/grabbing/etc Renton for stupid little things since the beginning of the series. It didn't seem too OOC to me.

I do like where the series is going, though... I'm starting to actually care about the characters, though I still think Renton and Eureka are ridiculously annoying. :c
Jul 7, 2009 12:28 PM

Jul 2009
For some reason I keep thinking about Renton and Holland being brothers,weird.
Awsome slap from Talho too.^^
Aug 1, 2009 1:01 AM

May 2008
Hmmm, more difficult times now...
Sep 1, 2009 5:00 PM

Jun 2009
I think this is the first time Talho is actually right about slapping Holland in the series.
And I must say this episode surprised me for the good!
I was expecting a boring filler after watching the preview, but it turns out to be an awesome episode.
Dec 21, 2009 5:17 PM

Jul 2008
Ya not liking the whole Holland beating Renton thing
but seriously waht I'm getting tired of is Eureka being such a bitch
I mean really not feeling well only goes so far.
Aug 17, 2010 5:36 AM

Oct 2008
this show is great at making you hate like EVERY main character
Oct 30, 2010 5:11 PM

Mar 2009
Everyone keeps punching Renton and now he's depressed.
Lol but Talho was right about Holland using Renton as an escape for his problems, because that whole situation with the weird old man was obviously not his fault. -_-

Nov 29, 2010 11:02 AM

May 2009
Hutchy said:
I do like where the series is going, though... I'm starting to actually care about the characters, though I still think Renton and Eureka are ridiculously annoying. :c

Renton is a complete dork, at least as of the beginning of the series. I don't think he's supposed to be likeable. Empathizable, perhaps, but not likeable.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 10, 2012 10:38 AM

Aug 2008
Someone needed to stomp that old man in the nuts before they took off! And as much as I want to like a great pilot like Holland, he's a COMPLETE ASSHOLE! All he had to do was ask anyone in his crew a few questions, or even stop and think for a moment and he wouldn't have had a moment to beat on Renton. It was a little ridiculous early in the series, but it's gone beyond hazing now and is just abusive.

Jan 22, 2012 3:21 PM
May 2009
Renton can't understand why would someone ditch their life's purpose and do something immoral instead and wonders if his father didn't only steal the Amita DRive, too. Holland is acting like a big kid. And Eureka makes up her mind and finally shows that she's angry. I always love the scene where she kicks the door and then "To be continued" comes on the screen. (watching the series for the fourth time and I'm writing the posts only now, derp)
Feb 10, 2012 4:30 AM
Jan 2012
Holland is such a dick =\
I want to like him, but it is almost impossible.

And what the hell is that preview o.o
Apr 6, 2012 8:21 AM

Apr 2009
Eureka kicks the door, shit must be getting real.

Holland's violence has been bothering me since the beginning but I don't think it's technically a problem, the writing doesn't justify his behavior but the opposite. I'm just interested in finding out if his PTSD is the only reason or if there's something else. But no matter how he decides to let off steam, he has a lot of reason to be stressed out. Having Renton take over Nirvash is bad for Eureka and Holland cares for Eureka's well-being a lot, dunno for what reason yet though.

Can't wait to learn more about why Renton got so insecure. The first reason is probably how he saw qualities of his grandpa in that old man who against his expectations turned out to be someone who would resort to stealing and lying to protect his pride. It must have affected his perception of his dad, grandpa and the Amita Drive they left in his care.

I guess there are a lot of factors. In addition to that first reason there's also the fact the old man left his son behind 14 years ago (which happens to be Renton's age) and was going to lie to him to take credit for something that doesn't belong to him. Holland further destroying the idolized image he originally had in Renton's mind from Ray=Out probably doesn't boost Renton's trust in others either.
Apr 16, 2012 12:22 AM

May 2011
Haha, these comments really crack me up. There is a reason behind why Holland treated Renton like that. Not sure if all of you are completely overlooking the internal struggle he's had for quite a while now, but it does explain why he does that. Just makes you that much more curious about his character.
Apr 19, 2012 1:06 AM

Jan 2011
Looks like next episode we make a major plot leap and begin to find out what's been underneath a lot of the action.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 29, 2012 5:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Doesn't stop all the characters for acting emo though.

They all act like teens lol.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 28, 2012 1:21 PM
Jan 2010
in today's episode:
robots grow in walls!!!!
talk to the door bitch
Nov 19, 2012 1:21 PM

Sep 2010
LFO's growing on walls?

Eureka was pissed she kicked Renton's door. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 24, 2012 1:26 PM

Jul 2012
GrandPhantasm said:
in today's episode:
robots grow in walls!!!!
talk to the door bitch

Lmao iknorite I mean she's been depressed about renton being the pilot for like 3-4 epsidoes straight I think its time Renton didn't give her any attention
Dec 17, 2012 6:34 PM
Mar 2012
Ha now eureka knows how it feels!
I feel that Holland, the grownups of the Gekko act too immature for their age!
Also I really want to like Holland but he has to get his act together instead of hitting Renton for something that's obviously not his fault.Hey maybe he will?
I also want to know what Renton's depression will lead to.....?
Mar 6, 2013 3:43 PM

Jan 2013
The date on that picture was 991/05/05
So wow I just realized this takes place more than 10,000 years in the future.
Apr 9, 2013 5:49 PM
Apr 2012
kenshin_sama said:
Haha, these comments really crack me up. There is a reason behind why Holland treated Renton like that. Not sure if all of you are completely overlooking the internal struggle he's had for quite a while now, but it does explain why he does that. Just makes you that much more curious about his character.

Everyone knows Holland has some issues, thats nothing new. The problem is that we don't know WHAT those issues are whether they justify him beating the shit out of Renton for every excuse he can find. Personally I don't think so and think hes an emo piece of shit. Go hit some wall or something not a fcking 14 year old kid. But probably hitting a person feels much better and since Renton can't/won't come up for himself he is an easy target. Pathetic.
Morani90Apr 9, 2013 5:52 PM
Apr 12, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
holy shit, how many times is holland going to beat the shit out of defenseless Renton? seriously i try liking him and then he becomes that grey haired asshole again. lol. well, so far, some of the stuff is kinda cool, but i keep getting the impression that theyre trying to make things seem cool, or psychological. ive seen a lot of the elements of the show in other things. not bashing though really for the most part.
Jun 14, 2013 4:05 AM

Jan 2012
The old guy sure pulled a stunt lol. Holland sure got violent lately.

Jul 22, 2013 4:43 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Hutchy said:

Renton is a complete dork, at least as of the beginning of the series. I don't think he's supposed to be likeable. Empathizable, perhaps, but not likeable.

That makes me feel better. I thought I was being too harsh not liking Renton so far.

Oh wow did not expect Eureka to kick the door out of anger like that o_o
star_lit said:

but seriously waht I'm getting tired of is Eureka being such a bitch
I mean really not feeling well only goes so far.

I may be wrong, but she probably feels like shit right now. I mean look at Anemone, she's definitely feeling lots of pain and having headaches, so much that sleeping only relieves her a little. If Eureka really is under the same stress as Anemone is, then it wouldn't be far fetched that Eureka acts this way. Having a headache 24/7 can really tire you out and you definitely wouldn't be able to stay in a good mood for long. Anyways, I would rather have Eureka having this attitude than Anemone's screaming.

I knew that old man wasn't entirely good when he took those bread.
Aug 2, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
Holland is a dick, but Renton was mean with Eureka-chan :<
Sep 24, 2013 9:13 AM

Sep 2012
sad seeing the old man pull a gun out on renton in the end.

just shows you cant trust anyone.

and holland, man, he is starting to loose cool points.
hes a fucking child abuser.
Feb 1, 2014 12:28 PM

Aug 2013
Holland is a dick to kids.
My Candies:
Jul 18, 2014 8:13 PM

Aug 2013
Holland you should jump of the cliff and die.
Yay.. I like it when MC goes into depression mode.
Wth.. next episodes preview is creepy.
Jul 21, 2014 1:03 AM

Aug 2013
Oh great Holland's beating on Renton again. What an asshole.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 18, 2014 5:22 PM

May 2012
Quite interesting development, I wonder what will happen next though!
Dec 6, 2014 8:41 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was one episode heavy in emotion. Renton and Eureka being more than ever not sync. Dat kick in the door at the end... It gave me goosebump from the frustration in the air. Just when Eureka want to make up with Renton, he reject her. That must be very hard. But I really feel like they are finally gonna set up the situation next episode, mostly because of the episode title which is the ''same'' as the episode 12, which is where all that troublesome situation started. Something will happen to Eureka that will make Renton go out of his depression. At least, that's what I think will happen, I may be totally wrong :P

I felt a lot of pity for the old man, being part of a forgotten generation, kind of stuck in time where he isn't able to achieve anything from his hard work. I somehow feel like what they saw in the cave are some kind of ''vision''from another time. That why he said ''it may already be dead...'', as they just can't know what happened to them. Why close the light if they could see them otherwise?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Aug 2, 2016 11:26 AM

Jun 2016
Holland is an ass. I really hate that guy...
Jan 20, 2017 1:34 PM
Aug 2014
Not sure what Renton is getting all depressed about. He didn't join Gekko state to protect the Amitat drive, but because he liked Euroka and was a fan of Gekko state.

Looks like the LFO's are actually alive, judging from the mine. Must have been quite the battle for so many to be there.
Jun 22, 2017 4:08 AM

Jul 2008
Boy both Holland and Eureka have sticks up their arse.
Oct 5, 2017 2:11 PM

Jul 2013
Why are there LFO's in a mine? and being alive or dead? I wasn't aware they could be alive or dead, I thought they were just machines. They mine for LFO's ... I really, am I the only one who just doesn't get this show at all? it's so bizarre!!!!

Are LFO's like gems? lol. I'mma just gon' go mine me an LFO! da actual fuq.

Awww, it was nice to see Renton being so nice to the old guy, he's such a sweetheart. Bless him. How Renton got excited for the guy knowing his grandpa and not mentioned his dad was sweet! bless <3

Holland wasn't nice to him though.

Eureka at the end trying to be nice to Renton and saying he should pilot the Nirvash but he was all depressed and in a funk now (I feel him there) and he rejected her, awww. Poor both of them!
Oct 12, 2017 10:40 AM
Mar 2017
WOO, I did not expect the final !! ... Fuck! Now you know how you feel !. (Although I hope they will be reconciled).
Eureka got angry and hit the door XD
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jul 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Apr 2019
Holland's favorite sport? Punching Renton. Also, very disturbing to find that LFOs are mined. Maybe that's why they bleed and stuff. I always thought that Nirvash was related to Renton's sister but maybe he's just a special LFO or something.
Jan 9, 2020 2:03 PM

Mar 2018
I hope Holland ends up dead before this show is over. What a loser.
Nov 27, 2020 11:45 AM

Nov 2019
Well this episode got me thinking quit a lot, and i was very suprised when HE didn't say 'To be continued'
Dec 22, 2020 3:06 PM

Jul 2017
This show is turning into EVA levels of bad for me when it comes to enjoying the cast cause other than Renton (who is okay, not great), they do such a good job in obliterating the side characters for me. Poor Renton had to idolize Holland, such a bully who's just taking out his own frustrations and downsides on a 14 year old kid lol. If I was Renton, I'd walk out on him and rather just be a mechanic with my grandfather since what's the point of being there, when Eureka doesn't talk to you much anymore and doesn't want to pilot the Nirvash with you due to her own shortcomings and hints of jealousy in the past, and so many people are assholes at different times. This show's frustrating me to immense amounts that I never felt when seeing it the first time. Jesus.
Oct 10, 2021 8:08 PM

Mar 2016
My god if this isn't the most intensely frustrating ep, no major battles are waged in this ep, but there surely is a disturbance between the relationships of the Gekkostate members, particularly with the core members, including our MC.

As time goes by, Renton is becoming more dependable, even the others have realized this by now. He's not a one-trick-pony, he got other skills besides handling Nirvash. Including dealing with old men like this digger, but what an asshole he is. After all the good gestures Renton gave him, he got repaid by being held at gunpoint just so that this old man can show off the Nirvash to his son. Motherfucker deserved to be left alone in the middle of nowhere at least.

However, the most aggravating of all is Holand, that immature little bitch. How dare he lashes out his pathetic hard-headed feelings on Renton when everyone knew it wasn't Renton's fault that they're in this situation right now. What a sack of shit, he's truly trying to escape from his problems, using the kids, particularly Renton as the main means to do so. I'll say it was bold of Renton to take the beatings without even caring of it a single damn bit. Let the clown make a fool of himself in the eyes of his companions, show them how terrible of a leader you are for you to resort to brain-dead violence on a kid who knows jack shit, when shit ain't going your way, you fucking failure.

Damn honestly, this ep is going great, until it's fucking not. The old man turned into an asshole, Holland is crying his ass off like a little cunt and now with all these events going through Renton's mind, he's questioning his purpose all at the wrong time. Eureka is attempting to make amends with him during this time, only to get rejected away. That kick on the door is the biggest sign of hostility Eureka has towards Renton thus far.

The moral of the story, cut the bullshit and let Renton in on your little secrets, he got all the potential to be a priceless member, but all everyone is doing is holding them back. It's great that the members of Gekkostate are recognizing his capabilities and competency, but unless Holland gets his head out of his ass and agree on that as well, things aren't going anywhere.

This is an all-time low for Renton's relationship with Eureka and Holland and all of it is not his fault.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 11, 2008

66 by chenfeng »»
Apr 6, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

death919 - May 4, 2008

283 by ShadowkillZ »»
Mar 22, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 31, 2008

89 by Awesomepants25 »»
Feb 6, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 11 Discussion

aero - Jul 23, 2008

48 by Teatime_X »»
Jan 15, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven Episode 38 Discussion

aero - Aug 1, 2008

33 by Loccon_Stratos »»
Dec 23, 2023 9:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.