Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2011 12:38 PM
Mar 2011
lisnoire said:
itsthatguy said:
lisnoire's recommendations are always all-powerful haha, This seems like a good list/description of what to watch and what not to watch.
Oh, not all powerful. I'm only a demi-god. ;-)

you say she shoukd not watch the best shojo ever made as her first anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 1, 2011 1:46 PM

Oct 2009
Veethorn said:
Seriously AnoHana might be a good pick, also some of the more serious Ghibli Movies are usually the starter for many people.

THIS.
Nov 1, 2011 2:05 PM

Mar 2009
Tiago97 said:
I don't see the problem. It can be considered the same as any other TV Show.

Someone I know (adult, female, about the same age as OP's girlfriend) is starting anime with Monster. Probably she won't continue it (the point isn't even getting her into anime, anyway), but from what I know she has no problem with anime TV series.
It depends on the the person and kind of TV shows the person is into. Death Note and Monster are great for someone into stuff like CSI and/or say . . . the live version of Supernatural. The key is to warm them up to the idea of animated characters vs live actors. Some people have a real problem with that even when the anime is actually a deeper, better story than the a lot (most) popular live action.

Sounds like the OP would really like for her to understand his enjoyment of anime and, ideally, get her to a place where anime is something they could share. It may or may not transpire, but it is a very nice idea and well worth a try.

Recommendations aren't always about what we like or what works for us but trying to find something that will suit the needs of the requester.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 1, 2011 2:46 PM
Feb 2011
Tiago97 said:
I don't see the problem. It can be considered the same as any other TV Show.

Someone I know (adult, female, about the same age as OP's girlfriend) is starting anime with Monster. Probably she won't continue it (the point isn't even getting her into anime, anyway), but from what I know she has no problem with anime TV series.

It depends on the person really. But generally you won't hook someone with a series. This lady doesn't sound like someone who would have the patience for a series as her intro to good anime. Much less Death Note.

Veethorn said:
Some of the more serious Ghibli Movies are usually the starter for many people.

I still say this. Grave of the Fireflies/Princess Mononoke/Only Yesterday more specifically. And if she has any love of fantasy (or bishounen) whatsoever like lisnoire said, Howl's Moving Castle is a good rec. (although I personally believe HMC is pretty dependant on an inside pool of knowledge to really get, its still possible to love it topically.)
002173Nov 1, 2011 2:51 PM
Nov 1, 2011 3:09 PM

Apr 2009
Akai-Ryuusei said:
lisnoire said:
itsthatguy said:
lisnoire's recommendations are always all-powerful haha, This seems like a good list/description of what to watch and what not to watch.

And Lis is right. What you recommended isn't at all similar to what his girlfriend usually watches and likes- and the point isn't to have her watch stuff you think she should watch because you think she should', it's to get her into watching anime- and if she won't like the show, then she's not going to start watching anime.
Nov 1, 2011 4:14 PM

Nov 2010
well key anime (clannad, AIR, kanon and angel beats)
usagi drops
hanasaku iroha
dare i say madoka

(and if somebody says school days SLAP him hehe it's not something you want to watch with your girlfriend haha)

for movies:

The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Clannad (recomend watching the series tough)
Gake no Ue no Ponyo (kinda childish but know some woman who loved it so, and other ghibly movies to)
Voices of a Distant Star
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
5 Centimeters per Second
Nov 1, 2011 4:25 PM

Oct 2011
Someone really proposed Kodomo no Jikan?! :D
or Ouran High School Host Club?

well again all Ghibli are fine (especially Grave)
if she plays some instrument or works with are maybe something in this direction...
Honey and Clover for example
or even better Nodame Cantabile?
after watching some movies rather
Nov 1, 2011 4:32 PM

Mar 2009
Akai-Ryuusei said:
lisnoire said:
itsthatguy said:

Yeah, I guess I am saying that but with no disrespect to the title in question. We are looking for something to appeal to a particular person. Also, given the age and interest of the individual in question, I'd say we are looking for something more Josie the Shojo. I'm really not here to be a picky know-it-all but rather to get people to think about how and what they recommend. :-)
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 1, 2011 4:54 PM

Mar 2009
Bah, I hate chickflicks. But now I have to think of something close enough to one to not turn her off...

well then I can only second Millennium Actress
Nov 2, 2011 11:16 AM
Jun 2008
try these:

Romeo x Juliet --- may be your best bet

Angel Beats!
Clannad / Clannad: After Story
Toradora!
Whisper of the Heart
Nana -- MAJOR DRAMA ALERT!!
Itazura na Kiss
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica -- awesome story though it may seem kiddish at first

Elfen Lied... would probably scare her away so much blood and gore
Nov 2, 2011 11:18 AM

Sep 2011
Feed her to School Days.
Nov 2, 2011 11:37 AM

Aug 2011
Detroit Metal City
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
9 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.