Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 28, 2011 2:44 AM

I mean, if I'm just looking for some entertainment, why not stick with finished works that you know are good?

Just looking for some straight and honest answers.

Oct 28, 2011 2:55 AM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Because it's not worth waiting 'till Mirai Nikki is over to exoerience how awesome it is?

Oct 28, 2011 2:56 AM

Few reasons come to mind:
- too impatient to wait till it's finished, wanna watch NOW.
- not knowing when it will be finished.
- wanting to discuss episodes with people on weekly basis.
- nothing else to watch cause you've seen all completed series you were interested in already

Oct 28, 2011 3:07 AM

Wait, if I get this straight then my answers would be
*does it in a Microsoft Power Point Presentation way or should it be called outline view*

- In order to catch the latest goodie from Japan (GO FANSUBS! even though I am a dub lover in general but it doesn't hurt when you want something good right?)
- Enjoy the action, romance, adventure as they are.
- Know what are the opening and ending themesongs as well as the overall theme score (I mean, BGMs or OSTs) of the anime.
- Be able to catch up with your peers.

Oct 28, 2011 3:10 AM

Just don't do it then. Like me. I wait for shows to finish airing before I start watching them.

corbenic said:
- wanting to discuss episodes with people on weekly basis.

This would be a good reason, but I don't really care about that.

corbenic said:
- too impatient to wait till it's finished, wanna watch NOW.

funnily it's because I'm impatient that I WAIT for them to finish airing. If I haven't seen a single episode of a show yet and don't know how I like it, I can't get hooked. So I don't mind waiting. On the other hand if it's a great show I'm already watching, waiting a week for every new episode can be agonizing.

Oct 28, 2011 3:29 AM

Well, the only incentive I see is to be able to discuss the current story with the people that are watching it as well, especially if you have friends already into it.

All the other reasons are obsolete taking into account the huge number of available anime out there. Of course there's always the chance that there is an anime you've been waiting for and will watch it as soon as physically possible.

Oh and endless anime are an obvious exception because, yeah

I just don't understand why I constantly see people on MAL watching series they clearly aren't enjoying just to be up to date.
Modified by Veethorn, Oct 28, 2011 3:33 AM

Oct 28, 2011 3:44 AM

To keep you going through the week..

Seriously, your day can be terrible as fuck.. but its a great feeling coming home and seeing a new episode of your favorite anime up!!!

It keeps you going through the week, something to look forward to..

Thats why I watch airing anime ;P
hi

Oct 28, 2011 3:55 AM
originanime

I love watching completed Animes compared to ongoing but what I love about onjoing Animes is talking about it bit by bit (Every episode) with the people on here. :)

Oct 28, 2011 4:01 AM
Usually I watch the show while it airs unless there are like 2 episodes left and I might as well wait for batches. It's a matter of taste, but I prefer having everything spread out instead of having access to all the episodes. (Which doesn't mean that I think that getting a finished series is automatically bad or worse) I don't feel like waiting 3-6 months until it completely finished airing, but browsing through favorite fansub groups and finding one or even a couple new episodes is pretty cool.
Also, the difference between "I want to watch the nxt episode...BUT I HAVE TO WAIT T_T" and "I want to watch the next episode...oh wait, i have it :3". Both can be pretty satisfying though.
Besides, there's no guarantee that you'll think the show is good, even if it finished airing and everyone is like awesomeface.jpg. Nor a guarantee that you won't like that awful show as well.

Oct 28, 2011 4:04 AM

Two reasons, I guess:

1) Talking about the newest released episode with other people.
2) Watching it weekly (rather than marathoning it, say) makes for a more prolonged experience, and for some series it works better that way. Yes, you could argue that this could be done even after airing but who would do that?

Oct 28, 2011 4:29 AM
It shouldn't really matter though. There are advantages to both sides. Ones that have finished airing are of course good to go on an anime marathon, and you won't have to wait to know what happens next week because you can just watch it all in one shot. Anime that are still airing is brand new, therefore people will be talking about it. It's fresh and when you bring up with other people, they won't go "Oh, I saw that ages ago." Happens to me alot. One more thing with my friends is that they find humour in ruining what's going to happen in the next episode, so if I watch an episode as soon as it's out, I can ruin it for them. It's funny watching them pull out their hair and covering their ears whilst singing loudly to themselves.

However, I'm the person who watches what ever they like. So, yea, I don't care if it's airing anot. Although one episode a week can be torture, the fuzzy feeling I get when watching a new episode after a week of waiting is worth it.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~

Oct 28, 2011 4:39 AM

Because some anime are too interesting or good so it's best to start watching instead of waiting till they're completed.

Oct 28, 2011 4:53 AM

because the experience last longer and when the shows end you will feel like
'oh i'll miss this character i've spent every week with for x month'

also you'll pick more detail than marathon it.

actually this season is the first time i watch something that's still airing never bother before but just can't wait for persona 4 and shakugan no shana final to finish.

Oct 28, 2011 8:23 AM

because some are really good, and it's fun to discuss.

Oct 28, 2011 8:34 AM

Veethorn said:
I mean, if I'm just looking for some entertainment, why not stick with finished works that you know are good?

I do both. A few airing anime once a week, and in between I finish off some completed series.

Oct 28, 2011 8:45 AM

My reasons:

1) New stuff. I want to watch new things. By new, I don't mean something I've never seen before, but something that was recently released.

2) You feel more "with it" when you watch it as each episode comes out each week. Unlike shows that have already ended, you're actually forced to wait a whole week to see the next episode as opposed to marathoning a whole series in a couple of hours or days.

3) Airing anime means that it's something completely new that people at YOUR CURRENT TIME are experiencing for the first time as well. There's a lot better discussions going on inside the episode discussions board because all the discussions are done in a timely manner and the lack of it is nearly impossible compared to watching an old series and trying to converse with someone about it.

Oct 28, 2011 8:46 AM

cause waiting 3 months is long.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 28, 2011 9:05 AM

More discussion. People are talking about series that are airing, not what had air.

If not, you have no other 'real' reason.

Some exceptions such as movies.

Oct 28, 2011 9:11 AM

There's just something about seeing it soon after release and being able to discuss it with people. In fact, the anticipation of having to wait a whole week for another episode will make the episode that much better, I think. I used to watch only completed stuff, but now I'm rapt with anticipation of the new episodes of Gintama and Fate/Zero.

Oct 28, 2011 9:59 AM
Most new anime have really great quality where in like 3 to 4 years it will have the worst looking graphics ever

Oct 28, 2011 10:35 AM

Most of the time I don't watch airing anime, I wait for reviews to come out then pick what I want to watch, However, occasionally something comes out that I cannot wait for, like Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai.

Oct 28, 2011 10:44 AM

Well I don't know :)
I usually don't watch but some series are worth it

Example...
I was expecting a lot from Tamayura - so I needed to check if it's worth of it
and now I'm into watching it regulary (maybe to see if it will go in good direction)
what is good... high rewatchability factor :) there are no plot twists or suprises - so there is no 'I know what will happen now' ... only simple joy :)
or Penguindrum - just to see what weird thing will happen in next episode

Oct 28, 2011 11:18 AM

Because anticipation for the next episode makes a good episode even better, unfortunately anticipation also makes a disappointing episode even more disappointing.

Oct 28, 2011 11:36 AM

If I'm just looking for some entertainment, why not stick with finished works that you know are good?

My only reason is because most anime are TV shows, regardless of how we actually watch them and being a TV part of the way to judge the impact a show has over you is the level of anticipation you have week to week.
There is no knowing what completed work is good if you haven't watched them beforehand. If you are going by the collective opinions of other people then keep in mind some of the same people calling a completed anime good are the ones flocking to certain airing anime calling them good as well. It's not like if you watching airing anime you are no longer able to watch completed anime or vice verse.

Oct 28, 2011 1:31 PM

it's like you said, sometimes just so i can discuss it. It can be hard to do that with older anime.

Oct 28, 2011 1:47 PM
Top Aidoru ♪

You get a different experience either way.

Watching airing anime, you can savor a good story and have discussions, or you might get cliffhanger trolled weekly. Marathoning, you might be able to connect dots and you can watch whenever you want, or you might burn out on repeating cliches. Whatever works I guess.

Oct 28, 2011 1:53 PM

Cliffhanger trolled...WTF. Iis every tool(that's right tool, not cliche) available to story-tellers going to be looked at negatively just because it can be identified?
Cliffhangers are the bread and butter for stories that try have suspense and there are people out there that seek out such suspense.

Oct 28, 2011 2:26 PM
Top Aidoru ♪

I don't mind cliffhangers. Just only if they're done for a good reason though.

Is the cliffhanger going to build suspense and make me want to watch more? Sure. Is the cliffhanger setting up for crap hitting the fan? Nice. Is the cliffhanger intentionally trying to piss me off? I might be watching something from Gainax, so awesome.

But I can see how cliffhangers can piss people off. It sucks having to wait a week when an anime just gets to the meat of the story and suddenly the episode ends. Maybe the anime loses steam since its climax was stopped so abruptly, maybe it gets better since people are just raging to get to the next episode. It's a stupid answer, but it really does depend on how the cliffhanger is done.

Oct 28, 2011 2:42 PM

Yeah it sounds like you understand how people can enjoy good things and how people don't enjoy bad things. Profound.

Oct 28, 2011 2:59 PM

Watching a show that is still airing can be exciting, because then you're current and can discuss the current events with other people. I don't personally watch any anime that is currently airing (besides Naruto Shippuuden, but that seems to be a pretty generic thing that a lot of people do), but I'm not adverse to the idea. I have watched TV shows while they were airing, and waiting each week for that one new episode can be a blessing and a curse all in one. I have known people who don't watch anime AND regular TV shows until they are completely done, so they can breeze through the entire series at their leisure. I can agree with both methods, as I believe they both have their pros and cons.
Also, watching a still-airing series can definitely help you avoid spoilers.

Oct 28, 2011 3:00 PM

The only time I watch just airing anime if it is a 6 episode or longer OVA.As for tv series or OVAs less that 6 episodes I will wait until they are finished being subbed first because of the simple fact fan subbers sometimes drop series or take too long. I prefer to watch a series that has been subbed by a single fan subbing group.

Oct 28, 2011 3:07 PM

Veethorn said:

Just looking for some straight and honest answers.
No reason. You can even get a better read as to whether or not it is something you want to spend your time on. I watch new stuff out of curiosity, hoping something will have that special something that "gets to me." And when you get a really goo done like FMA: Brotherhood, the weekly anticipation is kind of fun. What I hate is when I find something I really like and the subbing gets stalled.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

Oct 28, 2011 3:26 PM

Unless you tend to discuss episodes, there really isn't a point; I've tried several times in the past to try and keep current with anime by following weekly shows. But it gets tedious much too fast, and honestly I'd rather just have a full package(completed series to watch) then just waiting every week. It's a pain especially when you watch shows that love to end on constant cliffhangers(KAIJI 2!).

Oct 28, 2011 3:37 PM

With technology like streaming, direct downloads, and torrents how is watching currently airing shows tedious? I remember a time in TV-land where in order to watch a weekly show you had to tune in on a specific day at a specific time just to watch a show. If you missed it then you were shit out of luck until off-season reruns. Some people are really exaggerating the effort it takes to stay current with a show in 2011.

Oct 28, 2011 3:52 PM

Anime_Name said:
Some people are really exaggerating the effort it takes to stay current with a show in 2011.

I understand. I'll try harder from now on.

Oct 28, 2011 3:54 PM

You're going to try harder at exaggerating or using current tech?

Oct 28, 2011 3:56 PM

Anime_Name said:
You're going to try harder at exaggerating or using current tech?

Both.

Oct 28, 2011 4:01 PM

One will do. You don' t want to strain your brain.

Oct 28, 2011 4:05 PM

No thank you. I'd like the best of both worlds so I can exaggerate while using current technology. It's my life and I can do what I want. I want to be the best there is and give it all I got, no matter what.

Oct 28, 2011 4:15 PM

I warned you not to strain yourself. Now you've gone and channeled the spirit of Ash Ketchup. Soon he'll make you pick up bugs and walk to every Bally Total Fitness Center around the country.

Oct 28, 2011 4:56 PM

I would probably have stopped watching Ao no exorcist by episode 16 if it wasn't episodic.

Oct 28, 2011 6:23 PM

if you`re watching one you want to see the next episode and when it comes you`re going to watch it and you can`t wait when it`s finished to see them all when yoy want to see it

Oct 28, 2011 6:48 PM

I usually don't watch airing anime.
First of all, airing means new, and I pretty much hate recent anime. Then, I don't like waiting for an episode to be released and broadcasted.

Oct 28, 2011 7:10 PM

Because when I hear how awesome an airing anime is, I can't wait until it's done airing to check it out.

Oct 28, 2011 7:27 PM

'Cuz no life-ing an anime is good an and all, but there's more suspense when you have to wait for episodes weekly.

Looking forward to it more or something.

Oct 28, 2011 7:44 PM

I find myself more forgiving when I watch it once per week.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”

Oct 28, 2011 7:45 PM

Because it's the cool thing to do! Come on, man!

Oct 28, 2011 8:04 PM

I too find that I come to connect with a series and its characters more when I have to anticipate every episode for the full week (tho this has diminishing returns, as I've often forgot about a previous OVA by the time the next one comes out ... Hellsing, looking at you). Plus when a series is about to finish, it's fun to try and figure out how it'll end. Also, yeah, the discussions are way more lively in active series ... older anime only gets a run of discussion posts when someone marathons it and posts their thoughts every couple eps.

If you don't want to wait week by week, though, nobody's forcing you. Plenty of finished anime out there :)

Oct 28, 2011 8:11 PM

It's not that you should - but you could consider doing so.

More exciting to do so. No spoilers and blah.

Oct 28, 2011 8:39 PM

Giriene said:
It's not that you should - but you could consider doing so.

More exciting to do so. No spoilers and blah.

Unless it's an original Anime, which is rare, there are always spoilers from the Manga, Novel, Visual Novel, etc.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »