Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 27, 2011 11:17 PM

Okay guys. Here's a problem I have.. So I want to get a new Music Player but I don't know which one to decide on... I only have my sights on two right now, them being: iriver E300 and the Apple iTouch 4Generation..

I had a small discussion with my friend today about these two and what he said was (from what I can try to remember).. " You know, this is pretty swag, because it's unique, slick, and nobody has it.. The only down thing is that it doesn't have enough features! Cause like the iTouch has apps and internet and stuff. So if that had what an iTouch had I would so get it.. But you should just go for the itouch"

I really want to get the E300, but dang, I do feel where my friend says that its lacking the features.. D: It's hard to choose!!

What do you guys think??

Oct 27, 2011 11:24 PM

All the Apple haters will tell you to go for the E300 regardless of what they really think about it...

My advice is to buy whichever you think is best for you, The iTouch is definitely a great MP3 but it's more expensive...

But then again just like you mentioned the iTouch has an so much more features than the E300 and maybe you're willing to pay more for the apps, internet, etc.
Modified by --ALEX--, Oct 27, 2011 11:29 PM

Oct 27, 2011 11:25 PM

It seems that they're somewhat comparable in price, and as you said, the iPod Touch has more features. If I were you, I would go with the one that has more to offer. I don't see why it really matters if everyone else has it or not.

If it helps, I have owned two iPods and two iPhones, and I rarely had problems with any of them.
Modified by Oceanid, Oct 27, 2011 11:28 PM

Oct 27, 2011 11:40 PM

First off, I assume you've checked you music's compatibility with each device? It's never a problem with mp3's, of course. Everything plays mp3's.

Second, do you actually want the extra features of the iPod? A lot of these features may be adequately covered by your cell phone if you have a smartphone. Consider which features are actually useful and which ones you either already have or will just sit there unused. Having a portable level or flashlight is not useful often enough to consider for purchasing purposes. Internet access is.

Third, price. Are the extra features worth the extra cash?

I might go with the E300 just because it looks to be cheaper, and it's a more dedicated device that doesn't try to do everything, which I like. I, though, have an iPhone, so an iPod is a little redundant for me. The E300 also scores anti-mainstream points, if you're hipster like that.

Oct 27, 2011 11:48 PM

Personally, I like being different yes. But only on certain things haha. But i like how you point out that the E300 is more specifically just built for playing music.

Oct 28, 2011 12:01 AM

E300 if you don't really need those extra features (and probably useless since this is an MP3 player and not smartphone...).

I'd go for E300 since it supports SD cards and can read FLAC. It also looks better if you care for that stuff.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Oct 28, 2011 12:24 AM
why not a kindle fire?
yes is amazon...but is focused to media (which you can buy from amazon if you really don't want to help apple new CEO get richer)

Oct 28, 2011 12:40 AM

bloodlover said:

I'd go for E300 since it supports SD cards and can read FLAC..

Reads FLAC?!?! Boy this makes me a happy camper.
"Everyone dies nya"

Oct 28, 2011 12:43 AM

JustALEX said:
My advice is to buy whichever you think is best for you, The iTouch is definitely a great MP3 but it's more expensive...

But then again just like you mentioned the iTouch has an so much more features than the E300 and maybe you're willing to pay more for the apps, internet, etc.
What the heck is an "iTouch"?

Oct 28, 2011 12:49 AM

Apple iPod touch.

Oct 28, 2011 2:30 AM

Nazzul said:
bloodlover said:

I'd go for E300 since it supports SD cards and can read FLAC..

Reads FLAC?!?! Boy this makes me a happy camper.
Down with iPods now that I've read this.
Fuck this, I'm getting an E300.

Oct 28, 2011 6:34 AM

Omg go for the ipod. I was opposed to getting an apple for a long time but then all 3 or 4 of the mp3 players I had broke. I've had my ipod for a long time. It was a great investment.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)

Oct 28, 2011 6:56 AM

If you're like me who gets bored easily, I'd go for an iPod. Waaaay more apps for that one. Oh and waaaay more accessories to go with it.

Oct 28, 2011 7:05 AM

go for the old school ipod not the touch who needs all that extra stuff

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫

Oct 28, 2011 8:17 AM

It depends, if you ONLY plan to play mp3, then buy something downright fucking cheap.

It's just mp3s eh. If you spent more than 30 after tax you did it wrong.

If you want a neat toy that can do nearly everything, then my advice is set a price, walk into your fav electronic store and buy the neatest thing there. Because the sale prices are often all that counts. They can all do about the same as the rest.

I could just as easily use my Nintendo DSi XL as well as your iPod, but my Nintendo plays games eh. It's not designed for music though and it will run out of charge big time fast.

I hate Apple, but at least their iPods are alright for what they were designed to do. If you don't mind paying maximum price.

My mp3 player is made by Hip Street (yes it's junk from Canadian Tire of course you have never heard of it). Cost me 20 bucks, plays all day and has an entirely pointless video screen option that can display barely acceptable viewing area video as well as images along with mp3s.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.

Oct 28, 2011 8:24 AM

to be honest if you're getting an itouch you might as well get an iphone; or at least the way i see it. it's basically everything the iphone does except you can't call with it.

or you can just get a standard ipod, a lot cheaper.

Oct 28, 2011 11:20 AM
Get a iTouch it has a MAL app on the app store :P

Oct 28, 2011 11:26 AM
Abstract Calamity has the right idea here. Just buy a smart phone and put a 16 or 32 sd card in there. You'll be able to play movies AND watch music and search the web all on one device. Ofcourse everyone here has a cell phone soo why carry two pieces of expensive technology around where you could lose one or both?

Oct 28, 2011 11:40 AM

If you already have a smartphone, then an iPod touch is pretty much useless for its 'extra' features.

Oct 28, 2011 1:08 PM

Go find a Zune HD and be happy.

Oct 28, 2011 3:59 PM

Wasabi said:
If you already have a smartphone, then an iPod touch is pretty much useless for its 'extra' features.

If he had a smartphone, ask yourself why he is asking which mp3 player to buy.

Oct 28, 2011 4:06 PM

Aesthetic said:
Wasabi said:

You'd be surprised at how many people want both. Besides, playing music on smartphones burns through the battery insanely fast except for the iPhone. Only good thing about that is it has a nice battery life.

Oct 28, 2011 4:13 PM

Whatever happened to having an MP3 player so you can listen to music on the go? I just don't think useless apps and features should help you decide on which overpriced electronic device to use.

Oct 28, 2011 5:01 PM

Are you really sure you need that stuff? In the title you just asked for a mp3 player those gadgets are way too expensive if you only want to listen to music.

Oct 28, 2011 5:34 PM

I love all the "it reads flac and supports SD cards?!" comments. Have you all forgotten about Cowon? They've been doing that for years.

Well OP, if you are a listener of flac, stay away from any apple products. E300 sounds alright, but it seems the 8 GB is over 200 dollars. I got a 16 GB Cowon S9 for around the same price. Plays flac, but no SD card slot. If you really need an sd card slot, go for the Cowon d2. D2 is a relatively old model so they are harder to find, but they are probably cheaper than the S9 if refurbished. I don't see any particular merit to the E300 for it's price.

If you don't hate Itunes, and you listen to mp3s, then get an ipod.
Modified by skutieos, Oct 28, 2011 5:48 PM

Oct 28, 2011 5:38 PM

Wasabi said:
Aesthetic said:
Wasabi said:

You'd be surprised at how many people want both. Besides, playing music on smartphones burns through the battery insanely fast except for the iPhone. Only good thing about that is it has a nice battery life.

I never had that problem. Have you tried turning the screen off while you listen?
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.

Oct 28, 2011 7:19 PM

skutieos said:
I love all the "it reads flac and supports SD cards?!" comments. Have you all forgotten about Cowon? They've been doing that for years.

Well OP, if you are a listener of flac, stay away from any apple products. E300 sounds alright, but it seems the 8 GB is over 200 dollars. I got a 16 GB Cowon S9 for around the same price. Plays flac, but no SD card slot. If you really need an sd card slot, go for the Cowon d2. D2 is a relatively old model so they are harder to find, but they are probably cheaper than the S9 if refurbished. I don't see any particular merit to the E300 for it's price.

If you don't hate Itunes, and you listen to mp3s, then get an ipod.

I see 8GB's for 100 bucks.

Oct 28, 2011 8:24 PM
The best thing is to get a phone which can do MP3 player, there's no reason to buy something which only reads music...

Oct 28, 2011 9:35 PM
If you want a multi-purpose toy that can make some noise, get the ipod. If you care about your audio, I guess go with the other one, or better yet, check out the Cowon J3.

My 3-year-old Cowon D2 sounds better than the ipod touch. And so does my 6-year-old iriver H320. This comparison is done with the same files and the same pair of earphones (triple.fi 10). Hell, if my 8-year-old iriver iMP-550 was still alive, I'd bet it beats the ipod touch in sound quality too.

iTunes is a bloated piece of shit and pain in the ass. Drag-n-Drop or GTFO.

And as others have said: formats support, memory card slot, leave extra stuff to smartphones.

Have you looked at the Cowon J3? One of the best sounding player around, SD slot, FLAC, long battery life, refined and customizable interface, AMOLED screen, all that good stuff. It's gonna be my next player.

IMO iriver was good but after the H10 train wreck they haven't released anything interesting. I couldn't find any review for the E300 so can't say anything about it.

Modified by harmann, Oct 28, 2011 9:39 PM
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!

Oct 29, 2011 1:04 AM

Well duuuh... I suppose that if you buy a 200$ MP3 player, you won't be using a 10$ headset.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Oct 29, 2011 2:04 AM
Dear, i know what you want to say clearly. MP3's player should be in back end of any play list.