Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2008 9:48 AM
Jul 2008
Christal setting .. harmony of colors and music. memories as souvenirs ... clocks ..and a black cat opposed to a wail ... than a water elephant appears enchanted with music...
it's almost as if Nekojiru and her Cat soup initiated the making of this masterpiece...

Nov 21, 2008 4:38 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
strange.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Dec 7, 2008 8:07 AM

Jan 2008
Very unique. I enjoyed it a lot, a bit more than Ginga no Uo URSA minor BLUE. 8/10
May 24, 2009 3:59 PM
Dec 2008
this is pure bliss... i loved it
Jun 21, 2009 8:59 AM

May 2007
Very well done 9/10
My anime list
Aug 1, 2009 10:01 AM

Jun 2008
I had to watch it raw of sorts, but it was quite a well put together title. The music was my favorite part!
Nov 28, 2009 4:42 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty good short pleasurable movie 7/10.
Oct 22, 2011 9:56 PM

May 2008
added in the poll

I am a banana.
Dec 30, 2011 5:20 AM
Sep 2011
Even with the rather simplicistic art the setting is impressively unique. Especially the music contributed a lot to the outlandish feeling of it.
Sep 26, 2012 4:51 PM

Dec 2009
It was an interesting watch.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 23, 2013 3:28 AM
Oct 2012
I love how it seemed so simple but yet somewhere near the end you suddenly realise how everything fits together. It seems to me, not a lot of reviewers have noticed this, for they call the storyline non-existent or just vague.

But actually if you look closer you realise it is mainly about the man with the cat. And you see him in 3(or actually 4) parts of his life. The story makes these parts clear by the differences in time. And I believe the part where time moves normal, is what we know as life. And the part where time moves 10 times slower, is the after life.

----Spoilers!! ---

Let me explain; you first get to know the old man in a space where time moves slow. He starts to remember things from his past; being a sailor and winding clocks around the world. It could symbolize that his life time is slowing down, nearing the end. Then he sees a painting of a boat very similar to his, the painter made this at the edge of a huge waterfall right before the boat tipped over the edge. This could be the old man's "death". He also remembers seeing the whale dive into the sea when he was younger. Simultaneously there is a cruise ship with a boy and a man watching the whale, this could be the old man when he was younger, at the prime of his life, where time was still moving normal.
So in the end, the place where time moves so much slower than in our world, might be the afterlife. Which is quite an interesting concept; the afterlife being still in this world but at a slower pace, and without any time limits(so you're able to move through the past and future)
Feb 21, 2013 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
kaira_e said:
I love how it seemed so simple but yet somewhere near the end you suddenly realise how everything fits together. It seems to me, not a lot of reviewers have noticed this, for they call the storyline non-existent or just vague.

But actually if you look closer you realise it is mainly about the man with the cat. And you see him in 3(or actually 4) parts of his life. The story makes these parts clear by the differences in time. And I believe the part where time moves normal, is what we know as life. And the part where time moves 10 times slower, is the after life.

----Spoilers!! ---

Let me explain; you first get to know the old man in a space where time moves slow. He starts to remember things from his past; being a sailor and winding clocks around the world. It could symbolize that his life time is slowing down, nearing the end. Then he sees a painting of a boat very similar to his, the painter made this at the edge of a huge waterfall right before the boat tipped over the edge. This could be the old man's "death". He also remembers seeing the whale dive into the sea when he was younger. Simultaneously there is a cruise ship with a boy and a man watching the whale, this could be the old man when he was younger, at the prime of his life, where time was still moving normal.
So in the end, the place where time moves so much slower than in our world, might be the afterlife. Which is quite an interesting concept; the afterlife being still in this world but at a slower pace, and without any time limits(so you're able to move through the past and future)

Ah after reading this I rewatched this short and now it looks even better.
Mar 9, 2013 7:22 PM
Oct 2010
Such an awesome piece of art.
Oct 21, 2013 2:30 PM

Apr 2009
I love the idea behind this, and the simple art/animation makes you receptive to that weird idea.

kaira_e said:
Yeah that was a very interesting concept, indeed. Thanks for the perspective. XD

What I get from this, is that there are beautiful moments going on anytime, everywhere, you just have to stop, look and appreciate the moment/s. 7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 17, 2015 9:23 AM

Nov 2009
why drama in genres?
Sep 8, 2016 6:27 PM
Jun 2012
What a strange world.

kaira_e said:
I love how it seemed so simple but yet somewhere near the end you suddenly realise how everything fits together.

Thank you for your insightful comment.
Jan 15, 2017 7:32 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
21 minutes of pure stoner animation. Not a bad thing.....more of a mellow, wherever your head is at .....type of thing. Lovely art and colors.....nice cat too.
Oct 1, 2017 4:31 PM
Jun 2016
This kinda makes me think of the jade sea from guild wars factions.
May 8, 2018 1:36 PM

Jul 2017
Seems to be the same world as A Piece of Phantasmagoria, which also contains huge clocks, a glassy ocean, and the same art style and musick. I loved both of these. I agree that the story here goes through the old man's life. I didn't think of it being the afterlife, but I think that that is true.
Aug 15, 2018 5:12 AM

May 2016
Wow I loved this! So beautiful and tranquil, especially with that soundtrack.. It felt dreamy. And extremely unique.
What I personally got from it was that you could spend a whole day looking back and reflecting on just a 5 second memory of life's beauty, and how with age life and the things you've seen and experienced can take on new depth as you look on it through a different lens.
This is what I understood anyway from looking at the rather obvious constant theme of time, how that old man was exploring other memories, and how there was that little boy on that ship seeing the whale breach, and then all the seemingly "old" people looking on it as if time stood still (maybe they are all those on that ship who saw the whale, in their own futures, when they inevitably reminisced about that beautiful, unforgettable sight they saw on that day. And maybe that boy was the old man we followed).
An event like that... It doesn't matter who you are; anyone who see's it will forever remember it, and life's full of moments like that. Moments witnessed by many, and forever held to reminisce and explore by those many throughout their lives and their dreams.

The rating for this really shocked me, which rarely happens. Easily one of my favourite shorts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 7:30 PM

Dec 2016
This was like Courage the Cowardly Dog meets LSD for me man, just in terms of the way it made me feel idk lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 14, 2018 2:51 PM

Oct 2015
That was very unique for sure. That whale leaped for half a day, that was really amazing especially when that painter showed us how it started and finished. So the kid in the Gondwana was the old man, I was wondering when are they going to address that.

Overall i t was fine and very unique, I loved the flying fishes but I wonder how did it become like that? 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 28, 2019 11:08 AM
Apr 2016
This was so unique and that great music contributed to create a very dreamy atmosphere, i loved it.
Nov 2, 2020 9:32 AM

Sep 2018
Interesting, but I didn't like this as as much as Gingo no Ursa Minor Blue, the early computer generated art gave a.... flatness?... to the art that I didn't really like.
May 15, 2021 3:45 PM
Feb 2015
The Gondwana was the ship he used with the robot as a clock winder. The black and white ship looks different
Jun 27, 2021 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
what a surreal experience... interesting use of 3d and stuff too, dont think im going to rate this one.
Apr 2, 2022 3:07 PM
Jun 2021
I adored every second of this, truly made me feel unnaturally calm. I feel like I’d been longing for this feeling for so long. Felt like I had accomplished all my goals, and no longer held a desire for change. Just wanted to simply exist in utter peace until death came, holding no grudges nor anger and being at peace with everything. Not feeling happy or sad. I hope I get to spend a large portion if not the last few days I have at life feeling exactly like this.

(I’m writing this during a part of my life where I feel like I don’t truly desire anything from the world. But perhaps this is what I desire. I know what I feel and even my existence is meaningless to both the people reading this and to the universe. But hey, this helped me question a lot of things about myself; which is perhaps more important than anything.)
Jul 29, 2023 6:01 PM
May 2020
Cute visual style and good music, but this thing overstayed its welcome longer than pre-isekai Rudeus Greyrat.

I understand why someone might like this, I just found it extremely boring. I was just waiting for it to end for the last 16 minutes.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.