Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2008 10:26 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a pretty close near miss. A little background on Hachirota.
Aug 25, 2008 9:04 PM

Jun 2008
Loved that lottery part near the beginning. Even the temp worker pitched in at the very end to chant with them ;D

Close miss, it was a big deal for everyone especially with that debris being his fault in the first place, with his friend in the shuttle. I wonder if that had anything to do with his superior no longer being there?
Nov 23, 2008 6:36 AM

Jan 2008
Hachimaki corrected his past mistake. And he wants to buy a spaceship. A great dream, but hard to fulfill while facing reality.
This episode was more than great! Loved it!
Aug 22, 2009 6:25 PM

Aug 2009
I wish they would have made the girl a little less butch i have a hard time remembing shes a girl
Oct 10, 2009 11:57 PM

Jun 2009
DazzleRahzel said:
I wish they would have made the girl a little less butch i have a hard time remembing shes a girl

And i'm glad that the creators went with the choice they did. I mean, not every female lead has to be drop dead gorgeous.

Also, I thought that, overall, this was one hell of an episode and I actually kind of like Hachimaki now. I thought he was just obnoxious, at first.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 19, 2009 11:09 PM

Nov 2009
Great ep, kinda intense and it's still funny i liked the lottery part and we got to see a little bit a of a background for Hachi.
May 16, 2010 12:34 AM

Sep 2009
I didn't really have a great impression on Hachimaki in the first episode, but he seemed better in this one.
Oct 9, 2010 2:52 AM

Jun 2009
I hope to see a tour of the ship soon.
Sleeping in zero gravity, love the bed cell,
Nice, no casualties - I don't want to see drama scene as early as episode 2
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jan 20, 2011 8:42 AM

Aug 2010
If he collided with that ship at that speed there won't be any remaining piece of him.
So the guy wants to buy a spaceship, though he seems to be giving up on this dream. If all goes well with the new rookie there pay check may get a boost...
Mar 31, 2011 12:41 PM
Jul 2010
I actually like this, but feel as if there is a vast wealth of untapped potential. Maybe the manga has it?
Apr 22, 2011 12:44 AM

Oct 2009
Woah, I was ready for this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2011 7:26 PM

Jun 2009
Luthimal said:
I actually like this, but feel as if there is a vast wealth of untapped potential. Maybe the manga has it?

This annoys me. You are two episodes into the series at this point and you talk about untapped potential? I don't know what you thought of the series by the end, but two episodes into it is far to early to be making judgments.

As for me? It's okay so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 1, 2011 6:13 PM

Mar 2011
Amazing show this!

The atmospherics are brilliant. Just hearing the echo inside the suit makes everything so desolate. And I wonder how the characters dont throw up when they start spinning like that. man, I would be so disorientated.

I mean, I'd really like to go to space one day! Hell, its partially the reason why I chose a physics degree rather than an easier subject. Sure, im nearly 30 and not an astronaut, but Im holding out for civilian flights before im too old to fly!

But oohhh, to have a ship of your own, thats worth working in half section for. I'd do it, despite how shitty it looks. Hell, even Fry's job would be acceptable!

Anyways, I digress. This episode was exciting and gripping. This series will be amazing.
Jan 3, 2012 11:14 PM

Feb 2011
Who would've thought that space debris could be so enthralling? Really like this show and it's the second episode.

"I copy desu".
Feb 27, 2012 3:24 AM

Aug 2010
I liked the backstory on Hachimaki.
Jul 16, 2012 11:57 PM

Jul 2011
I am not hooked yet, but the concept at least is interesting. Space trashmen, not something you see everyday. =P

Jan 24, 2013 10:00 AM

May 2012
Nice episode, things are getting slightly better, lets see what's next!
Nov 18, 2013 12:19 PM

Apr 2011
Hachimaki is the goat!!!
Nov 27, 2013 1:28 PM

Nov 2009
I guess being the Janitor of space isn't all that fun . . . Doesn't look too fun too be honest.

Anyways, I'm somehow getting the feeling that Hachimaki won't ever actually get out of that dead end position in this series . . . Although hoping that isn't the case.
Feb 28, 2014 3:50 AM

Aug 2013
Shouldn't they get like hazard duty pay? If they did, Hachi would probably be able to afford to buy a spaceship :/
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 25, 2014 5:09 AM

Nov 2013
Holy shit this episode was so engrossing. It's been a long time an episode passed by that fast for me. The intensity of the impending collision created through the voice acting, music, and panicked animation was incredible.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 10, 2014 11:53 PM

Jan 2013
An amazing episode no matter however times I watch it.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 1, 2015 3:27 PM

Sep 2008
DazzleRahzel said:

Agreed. Her face doesn't match her voice and personality at all. I didn't understand the fight early on either, in zero gravity, having your arms locked doesn't immobilize you for free punches to the face. You simply kick forward against the other guy's torso, you fling backwards with the one that is arm-locking you crushing his back against the wall. That could have been done better but the second episode was better than the first at least.
Jan 6, 2016 5:41 AM
May 2012
Why the hell are these guys not getting enough recognition??

EtherSword said:
DazzleRahzel said:

Agreed. Her face doesn't match her voice and personality at all. I didn't understand the fight early on either, in zero gravity, having your arms locked doesn't immobilize you for free punches to the face. You simply kick forward against the other guy's torso, you fling backwards with the one that is arm-locking you crushing his back against the wall. That could have been done better but the second episode was better than the first at least.

I think she is cute. I like her VA, too.
Jan 25, 2016 11:56 PM

Mar 2012
I feel like it would be better with less comedy and a more serious tone. So far it's alright, at least they avoided screwing over that spacecraft.
Jan 30, 2016 8:29 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, that was pretty stressing. I can't imagine the damage of a collision at this speed and size.

It's funny and interesting to see Ai struggle with zero gravity. It must be damn hard to gain back control when you're spinning uncontrollably.

I was scared this Chensin might be a double-faced asshole, but he seem like a genuine good guy.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 18, 2016 3:06 PM

Jul 2015
That was a close call, the music was damn epic !
Jun 21, 2016 6:36 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Episode is about Hachimakis dream to buy an own spaceship. Sadly he has to rely on lottery to accumulate enough money and hes pretty unlucky until now.

One of his friends achieved his goal and became a pilot. Really sad for Hachimaki because his dream seems lightyears away. On top of that he gets taunted by other people on the station, who can't understand his dream.

Second part of the episode demonstrates that the job in space is dangerous and frightening. One wrong move and you drift away too far from your ship. One carlessness and you get hit by a piece of junk floating in space with 8km/s.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Jun 24, 2016 4:22 AM

Mar 2015
The OST in this show is something!

Hachi cant obtain space ship with ordinary method so he chose to do lottery.

2.7/5
Jun 26, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2012
Better. I'm liking the MCs more. It seems like the focus is on the guy rather than the girl, which I prefer because he's more complicated.
Jul 21, 2016 6:03 PM

Oct 2012
Yeah, this episode sold me. I'm just going to shut up and enjoy the rest of the ride now.
Aug 21, 2016 9:54 PM
Aug 2016
Good background on hachi. I am starting to like this series.

There were also some funny scenes here, like lottery rituals.

My score: 8.2/10

Average score so far: 8.1/10
shingekirunAug 26, 2016 6:31 AM
Nov 16, 2016 4:42 PM

Aug 2014
Looks like this will be a nice watch, the cast is cool.
Apr 9, 2017 1:31 PM

Jun 2013
Wow, it only took me two episodes to get hooked!
Aug 2, 2017 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
TIL 8maki is just as big of a naive dork as Tanabe. Still, it's nice to see that these three years haven't been as big of a waste as he thought if he was able to pull of that crazy maneuver.

Yuri got some great lines."Prayers are more likely to reach the gods if your sacrifice is a man of virtue."

OP and ED look very classy. History of space travel for the former and Hachimaki's dreams in the latter.

The action looked just as good as in the first episode. There's such a rich variety of facial expressions, too. This show is gorgeous, I wonder if it keeps this quality all the way through.
LeeTailorAug 2, 2017 11:40 AM
Jan 10, 2018 5:33 PM

Nov 2017
The opening to this anime is giving me some Paranoia Agent vibes, they're very similar to me.

This show is pretty cool so far. I can already tell I'm going to love it.

Nov 9, 2018 7:40 AM

Sep 2011
So Hachimaki has a big dream, huh. That scene in which he was mocked, and then cowardly beat up by three was hard to watch. It was hard to watch because he wasn't only mocked for his dream, but because of his job too. It's an honest, and dangerous job; the narrator even made it clear that it's also necessary, so it isn't their fault ifthey are understaffed or being underpaid. Those guys were jerks, but they got to him, and when he said that there are things that you "can" and "cannot" do, it got a bit too real.

He's getting closer to Tanabe though, and we got to know some new faces, though I feel that the only important one was the pilot. That retrieval operation was pretty suspenseful, and cool too.
Feb 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Feb 2012
Your senpai was once a rookie too, Tanabe.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 28, 2019 1:35 PM
Oct 2018
Damn, that was a close one near the end. Good shit Hachimaki
Apr 11, 2019 6:35 PM
Apr 2016
Oh my god, that was a thrilling episode...I was so nervous haha... Really good episode.
Dec 9, 2020 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
Solid episode again, Hachimaki's a goof but even he has his dreams of owning a spaceship, too bad he's far away from it and got hit with reality when his friend Cheng-Shin got to get closer to his dreams as he got to become an orbital shuttle co-pilot that has humans in it instead of cargo for him. Tanabe sure made Hachimaki go through a lot of chaos with her mistake but Hachimaki luckily saves the passengers in the end at the very last second, quite thrilling really. He learned from experience since even he was in a situation where he botched something in a mission and his senior had to take care of it desperately.

The music in this show is so damn good in general, animation continues to be really solid as well.
Mar 30, 2021 4:56 PM

Mar 2020
I was a little unsure of whether I'd enjoy this series at first, but this episode completely won me over. I liked how Hachimaki responded to his dream getting challenged. His friend becoming a bona fide pilot was obviously the straw that broke the camel's back, but he still tried to keep himself together. I'm still surprised he wasn't fired to fighting with those guys, though.

I also love how rich and atmospheric this show is. We all know the characters are going to make it out all right in the end, but the absence of music during the scenes where they're out in space really goes a long way in adding to the tension. The animation and art style are both pretty gorgeous as well.
Sep 7, 2021 3:17 AM

Aug 2019
really love the characters in this so far, and just the unique atmosphere of space is really making me interested in each new episode of this show
Nov 13, 2021 3:20 PM

Nov 2016
Nice episode that introduced Hachi as a character. A hot head(who wouldn't get angry if provoked like that) but a capable mentor. We already saw the woman who was on the picture with him at the beginning of episode 1. Guess there's gonna be a proper introduction within the next few episodes for her as well.

Enjoying the sci-fi setting and characters a lot so far. It's partly working environment slice of life and a great one at that, but this series can also get surprisingly intense as seen towards the end here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 8, 2021 11:32 AM

Dec 2007
so this time we get character development for hachi, and he's not less likeable than tanabe.
wonder though what happened to his senior.

gotta say the pace for the series so far is masterpiecely done, wonder how much it will last.
the OST on the tense moments though are better than the OST when there's not tense lol
Dec 30, 2021 9:49 AM
Nov 2020
Good lord this is so much more goofy than the manga...
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
Jul 2017
eh not much keeping me interested tbh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

189 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 22 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 27, 5:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.