Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2011 5:21 PM

Jun 2008
According to Variety, after previous news that a decision would be made this week, the live action Akira movie has been greenlit by Warner Bros. It is slated for late February/early March and "Tron: Legacy" star Garrett Hedlund is the front-runner for the lead role of Kaneda.

The film's current story according to Variety is the following: "Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments."

Source: Variety

Previous related topic: Akira Live Action Movie Update
myanimelistllcMar 5, 2016 12:00 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 20, 2011 5:22 PM

Dec 2010
I'm actually hoping for Road Rash or Road Warriors as opposed to something needing too much cgi.
Oct 20, 2011 5:23 PM

Jan 2010
and i don't care anymore. after changing the location and the characters, why even bother calling it Akira? I'll keep an open mind but this doesn't look good.
Oct 20, 2011 5:24 PM

Oct 2008
i hope it fails
Oct 20, 2011 5:27 PM

Jun 2008
I'll watch it.
Oct 20, 2011 5:31 PM

Aug 2008
Algazero said:
and i don't care anymore. after changing the location and the characters, why even bother calling it Akira?

I thought of the same thing... I'm not going to watch it. I hate hollyywood about that!
Oct 20, 2011 5:35 PM

Sep 2009
I want Zac Efron as Light.
Not this.
Oct 20, 2011 5:39 PM

May 2010
"Katsuhiro Otomo, who wrote and directed the 1988 Japanese anime pic of the same name, will exec produce "Akira" "

Well,that can only be a good sign, right?
Anyway, it'll probably be bad in comparision etc, but I'll go watch it if it's in cinemas near me. Why not support it, so that better quality adaptions can be made in the future etc.

Agreed on Zac Efron though :P
Oct 20, 2011 5:41 PM

Nov 2008
oh God will those people ever learn
Oct 20, 2011 5:41 PM

Feb 2008
BigSimo said:
i hope it fails

normally i would agree....but the more fail movies we get the less chance that a good one will ever be made by anyone. Hollywood right now is in a major slump and producers and studios are simply too scared to take risks.

having said that.....it will probably fail.
Oct 20, 2011 5:57 PM

Oct 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI

I had to post this. I'm sorry.
Oct 20, 2011 6:12 PM

Jun 2011
I really doubt that this is going to be a good movie.
Oct 20, 2011 6:12 PM

Jan 2010
I'm guessing it will be as good as the Dragonball Evolution movie was.

I'll watch it out of sheer curiosity and then hate it most likely.
Ok™
Oct 20, 2011 6:13 PM

Sep 2007
They resurrected the project again?
Oct 20, 2011 6:14 PM

Feb 2008
nextday said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Set in New Manhattan

Dropped.

clearly when American movie studios adapt anything for an American audience they try to stay consistent with the original material.
Oct 20, 2011 6:14 PM
Aug 2007
BigSimo said:
i hope it fails

This.

It's not even Akira anymore, not really. Too many changes - unnecessary and shitty changes at that.
Oct 20, 2011 6:21 PM

Sep 2011
BigSimo said:
i hope it fails

This.
It seems to be just as bad as Dragon Ball Evolution was.
Oct 20, 2011 6:37 PM

Jun 2009
Incoming Trainwreck. Please prepare for worst case scenario.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Oct 20, 2011 6:39 PM

Jun 2009
Well they are doing a live action tv series of Noir on Starz. I just hope it does good.
Oct 20, 2011 6:46 PM

Sep 2011

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 20, 2011 6:47 PM

Jan 2011
They should get Johnny Yong Bosch to play Kaneda.
Oct 20, 2011 6:53 PM
Apr 2009
kleeny said:
Algazero said:
and i don't care anymore. after changing the location and the characters, why even bother calling it Akira?

I thought of the same thing... I'm not going to watch it. I hate hollyywood about that!

Me three. I'm not a fan of Akira but I have a feeling it's gonna wind up as bad as Dragonball Evilution.
Oct 20, 2011 7:12 PM
Sep 2009
And here I thought it had died. Now, how about that live-action Cowboy Bebop movie?
Oct 20, 2011 7:21 PM

Jun 2009
eh
Oct 20, 2011 7:48 PM

Jan 2008
I hope the studio burns down :)
Oct 20, 2011 7:53 PM

Feb 2010
Seriously, why is this needed? -sigh- I guess Hollywood is so out of ideas that they are just going to remake foreign films.
Oct 20, 2011 8:03 PM

Aug 2011
I have no faith in live action anime after the abortion that was Dragonball Evolution.
Oct 20, 2011 8:34 PM

Oct 2008
They're most likely to change it so much that it will be nothing like the original so why don't they just make their own story altogether? Rather than butchering the original.
Oct 20, 2011 8:41 PM

Apr 2010
Nothing could be worse than Dragonball Evolution or Shyamalan's Avatar: TLA.

It's still going to be disappointing, though.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Oct 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Oct 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
According to Variety, after the previous news that a decision would be made this week, the live-action Akira has been greenlit by Warner Bros. It is slated for late February/early March and Tron: Legacy star Garrett Hedlund is the front-runner for the lead role.

The film's current story according to Variety is the following: "Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments."

Source: Variety

why is it always new york
why not detroit
Oct 20, 2011 9:12 PM

Mar 2009
I definitely won't watch it.
Oct 20, 2011 9:16 PM

May 2010
never had interest in the hollywood anime/manga adaptions. "hollywood" is overrated.

please deteriorate, exasperate, evaporate & obliterate, not just the film but the people involved.
Oct 20, 2011 9:37 PM

Sep 2009
Ah weabos.
Form an opinion when the egg hasn't even hatched yet.
-sighs in bliss-

You make me so happy.
Oct 20, 2011 10:37 PM

Feb 2008
Algazero said:
and i don't care anymore. after changing the location and the characters, why even bother calling it Akira? I'll keep an open mind but this doesn't look good.

The same reason they called the Dragon Ball movie Dragon Ball, or the Resident Evil movies Resident Evil, to cash in on a popular name.

Sabinlerose said:
Ah weabos.
Form an opinion when the egg hasn't even hatched yet.
-sighs in bliss-

You make me so happy.

Any validity your point may have had is immediately loss with your use of the word "weabos," as if to say that only someone who has an obsession with the Japanese culture would have a problem with the movie, despite all the information that has been given and the amount of adaptations in Hollywood that don't resemble the source material at all. I've said before that the point of an adaptation is to present a medium in a new form, and that has hardly ever been the intention of many a Hollywood director. With such a track record, only a fool would look at this and say "There's a good chance this will be good."
DamonashuOct 20, 2011 10:42 PM
Oct 20, 2011 10:46 PM

Jul 2010
I'm not one to dismiss this before they even started filming, so I'm still gonna watch this. Just as with Dragonball: Evolution, The Last Airbender, and Blood: The Last Vampire, as an anime fan, and someone who has seen the original film, I feel like I'm obligated to watch it, no matter how badly it turns out. Maybe it will surprise me, maybe it won't.

Although, I wasn't a huge fan of the original anime film, so maybe I just don't care as much as I should.
Call me when they announce the Death Note movie, then we'll talk.
Oct 20, 2011 10:55 PM

Aug 2011
Ck-typeZERO said:

Haha, I think he's a bit old nowadays. I'd say Harry Shum Jr (which would be a good way to get a ton of asian girls to flock to it), but he's apparently like 28 also 0.o
violaxcore.png
Oct 20, 2011 11:47 PM

Apr 2010
An American as Kaneda? Who will play Tetsuo?

Mmk, I'm prepared for failure. What I'm afraid of at this point is my buddy saying he wants to go see it, knowing nothing about the original.

And then I throw up.

It's not Akira anymore. Manhattan? Americans playing Japanese characters? No.

I would have rather watched a Japanese live-action remake with bad English dubs by FUNi.

Where is Dr. Tran when you need him.

Oct 20, 2011 11:53 PM

May 2010
violaxcore said:
Ck-typeZERO said:

Haha, I think he's a bit old nowadays. I'd say Harry Shum Jr (which would be a good way to get a ton of asian girls to flock to it), but he's apparently like 28 also 0.o

Haha, I'd go so many times~

You guys bringing up Avatar TLA has diminished my excitement for this just a little bit :P
Oct 21, 2011 12:08 AM

Sep 2009
I don't understand why people hope this fails? Everyone complains that "Hollywood" does a bad job with anime adaptations, shouldn't we want it to be good?
Oct 21, 2011 12:25 AM

Feb 2008
saxophone15 said:
I don't understand why people hope this fails? Everyone complains that "Hollywood" does a bad job with anime adaptations, shouldn't we want it to be good?

It's not that they hope it fails, it's that they don't see how it can succeed. A lot of Adaptation Decay has already been associated with this movie, whether some of it is true is still left to be determined, but when lies and truth come together they can sow paranoia and pessimism.
Oct 21, 2011 12:28 AM

Nov 2007
"Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments."

One word could've changed everything for me.

The only thing I want to see in this thread is now Zac Efron as Light lol.
Oct 21, 2011 1:24 AM

Apr 2009
Not that I love R-rated movies or anything but the fact that Akira will be watered down to PG-13 is possibly a bigger reason for me to not watch this than the "New Manhatta" thing. Or maybe both factors are equally horrible.

Oct 21, 2011 2:21 AM
Feb 2009
What the hell is wrong with you people?

What's with all the hate? It's AKIRA. Manga was amazing, anime changed a lot of things but was still great, very few people complain about that. Now, we finally get a live-action adaptation and everyone hates it before the movie even started to film. What the hell? You guys WANT it to fail? You WANT to see Warner Bross burn? Do you even hear yourself?

It's a damn Hollywood movie. Of course that remake will be set in fucking America and have Americans in it, not Japanese. But why does that even matter? Have you guys even read Akira? Neo Tokyo or New Manhatan, it's all the same shit. Why does it even matter if character is called Tetsuo or Travis? It's not like Asian actors are any better than Americans either... because they are not.

I am looking forward to hearing more about this movie, and I am sure it's the same for many Akira fans.
Oct 21, 2011 3:42 AM

Jul 2009
It's going to be better than the anime at least.
Oct 21, 2011 3:59 AM

May 2010
Manhattan? why is it always in america... no they'll stick with white actors because it'll appeal to a larger audience.. money hungry fucks... more the reason to hate americans
Oct 21, 2011 4:41 AM

May 2008
Sabinlerose said:
I want Zac Efron as Light.
Not this.

Lol this ^

But that's cool I suppose..not sure how it'll work out until I see it.

Oct 21, 2011 4:47 AM

Sep 2008
Jure said:

What's with all the hate? It's AKIRA. Manga was amazing, anime changed a lot of things but was still great, very few people complain about that. Now, we finally get a live-action adaptation and everyone hates it before the movie even started to film. What the hell? You guys WANT it to fail? You WANT to see Warner Bross burn? Do you even hear yourself?

Live action-adaptation is unnecessary are best, Here's whats gonna happen the script is gonna get written by about 50 different people all of which people never even heard of Akira, to the point where it's even unrecognizable as having anything to do with Akira other then in name only

Then your gonna get some no name director who's also never heard of Akira and cast a bunch a fucks who could give a shit less about the script or the source material.

It's a damn Hollywood movie. Of course that remake will be set in fucking America and have Americans in it, not Japanese. But why does that even matter? Have you guys even read Akira? Neo Tokyo or New Manhatan, it's all the same shit. Why does it even matter if character is called Tetsuo or Travis? It's not like Asian actors are any better than Americans either... because they are not.

Because it's like claiming to make a movie about vikings but it takes place in America and all the vikings are played by flavor of the month American teen heart throbs. It's bullshit white washing.

Also you're basically saying "okay change it to the point it's not even Akira anymore" whats the point of adapting some thing if your not gonna respect the source material and just throw everything that identify it out the window, Just make a original movie and stop hacking up original works just for the sake of brand recognition and pandering.

and are you saying there are no good Asian actors? Are you retarded for just a delusional racist?

I am looking forward to hearing more about this movie, and I am sure it's the same for many Akira fans.

Good job being the lowest common denominator and the reason originality and intelligence is practically non existent in Hollywood today. Good to know their are people who enjoy getting treated like an idiot just so some one else can make a quick buck off them.

Also I'm sure DBZ fans and Aeon Flux fans where super excited when Hollywood turn their favorite anime in to shit for the sake of money.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 21, 2011 6:58 AM

Jun 2010
Lol at all the complainers. If its not even close to the original, why complain? Its not really trying to be an adaption, so why treat it as such? Ah, you say because its being labeled as an adaption? Well, that's Hollywood for ya. They've been doing things their own way for years. That is to say, if Hollywood gets their hands on something, its going to be Hollywood-ized, no matter how you look at it, so don't go expecting anything else.

That aside, this movie will probably be another generic Hollywood production. Sigh, what happened to the good ole days of American film? So, SO many bad movies from them as of late. Honestly Hollywood is in a far worse state than the anime industry at the moment, far worse.
Ocean_HorizonOct 21, 2011 7:19 AM
Oct 21, 2011 7:06 AM

Apr 2011
This will epic fail. This will be has bad as Dragonball, if not worst.
Oct 21, 2011 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
Jure said:

I feel your pain, but this is the anime fanbase. We are one of the greatest examples of Unpleasable Fanbase and They Changed it Now it Sucks to have ever existed. Change something slightly so that it isn't COMPLETELY JAPANESE and you'd better be sleeping with one eye open, cuz they're coming with pitchforks.

Waffocopter said:
Not that I love R-rated movies or anything but the fact that Akira will be watered down to PG-13 is possibly a bigger reason for me to not watch this than the "New Manhatta" thing. Or maybe both factors are equally horrible.

Is this something actually confirmed or are you talking out your ass? Because I haven't seen any reason to assume that. Due to the fact that the movie has only just been greenlit, I'll assume the latter.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 10 hours ago

20 by NoktoH »»
4 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
56 minutes ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.