Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation and Niconico Form Partnership to Jointly License Anime

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
Oct 14, 2011 2:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2099
According to FUNimation's official press release, FUNimation Entertainment and Niconico have forged a partnership to co-license anime for streaming and video releases under the name Funico. Niconico will be streaming the licensed titles and FUNimation will release the titles on home video.
Funico-licensed titles will have download-to-own options and they also intend to license anime for countries other than just the USA and Canada.
The partnership starts this season with the simulcasting of the following titles:[list][*]</li>[*]Mirai Nikki (The Future Diary)</li>[*]Guilty Crown</li>[*]Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai)</li>[*]Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam (Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing)</li>[*]Maken-ki!</li>[*]Shakugan no Shana III (Final)</li></ul>
Sources: FUNimation Press Release, ANN
Modified by myanimelistllc, May 1, 2016 8:02 AM
 
#2
Oct 14, 2011 2:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24733
So C3 and Maken-Ki may have got themselves a DVD/BD release in the US, that knocks off 2 titles that I would've imported otherwise. Boku wa Tomodachi too, that's 30% of my Fall season being licensed.


 
#3
Oct 14, 2011 2:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
Redfoxoffire said:
Funico-licensed titles will have download-to-own options and they also intend to license anime for countries other than just the USA and Canada.


Awesome
 
#4
Oct 14, 2011 2:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5713
Not sure if this is good or bad.

Seems anime is taking a leap in digital licensing, and I don't know if I really want Funi at the helm.
 
#5
Oct 14, 2011 2:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6120
but I thought Funi is having troubles getting the other two seasons of Shana after rescuing them?

Alright if Mirai Nikki and Haganai keeps my interest all the way through I wouldn't mind owning them on DVD.

Although I heard the you have to pay Niconico just to watch full screen and thats just beyond ridiculous. I'd rather watch fansubs then buy the DVDs when they are released. Or hope that Funi also uploads it onto Hulu so I can watch it on full screen for free.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
 
#6
Oct 14, 2011 2:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 281
LOL. Why did they License the third season of Shana when they haven't even started dubbing the second season?..


 
#7
Oct 14, 2011 2:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1149
I live in America, but I think it's pretty cool they're at least including some other countries in all this.
 
#8
Oct 14, 2011 2:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 406
Maken-ki!

Guilty Crown

funimation better put them in blu-ray.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
 
#9
Oct 14, 2011 2:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 841
Funimation seems to be really growing in size lately. I've been reading a lot about them making tons of acquisitions and/or licensing new anime. To be honest though, I have no problem with this since they are actually a really high quality publishing company especially with their dubs.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
 
Oct 14, 2011 2:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 519
/a/ is ruined.
 
Oct 14, 2011 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24733
They need to pick up Ben-To for DVD/BD while they are at it and make it a season so I don't have to import altogether.


 
Oct 14, 2011 2:49 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 179
I would lol pretty hard if they dubbed haganai *sarcasm*
really I just hope they don't ruin the dubs
Modified by icekatana8825, Oct 14, 2011 9:21 PM
icekatana8825 said:
SEE THE INVISIBLE TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER
 
Oct 14, 2011 2:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 1492
Fuuuuu~
Fu-nico Douga~

It's like FUNI is ruling the world o-O
 
Oct 14, 2011 2:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24733
icekatana8825 said:
I would lol pretty hard if they dubbed haganai


I know a good idea for Yozora and Sena, get two VA that don't like each other IRL to voice them.


 
Oct 14, 2011 2:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 209
RedFlameHaze said:LOL. Why did they License the third season of Shana when they haven't even started dubbing the second season?

THIS.


EDIT: Thank you for eating half my post MAL. I don't remember most of what I said after "THIS." *Headdesk*
Modified by Zfish9, Oct 14, 2011 3:23 PM
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:08 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 208
I be very happy to see Boku wa tomodachi ,C3,Maken-ki , future diary,guilty crown, on the blu,ray/dvd combo pack, these will be day one purchase for me...
Modified by RandyW88, Oct 14, 2011 3:14 PM
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
will watch most of them except Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1248
Eh, cool and all, but I prefer my anime on physical media I can buy so I can actually feel like I own it.
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
This is awesome news for sure!

Panaru said:
Eh, cool and all, but I prefer my anime on physical media I can buy so I can actually feel like I own it.

It says in the ANN article that FUNimation will handle the physical releases.
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Panaru said:
Eh, cool and all, but I prefer my anime on physical media I can buy so I can actually feel like I own it.
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:28 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 326
Shana 3 DVD/BD Release?
Ähh...lol?
Where is the release for Shana S2? oO
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 481
Funico sounds really silly but its a interesting partnership.
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
GaZsTiC said:/a/ is ruined


What does this have to do with /a/? They'll just pirate it regardless of these deals.

-edit- Nevermind, I see what you mean now.

 
Oct 14, 2011 3:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
not sure if funinico is realy stupid or just trolling

whats the point of download to own if your paying for the TV release version which is heavily censored and unpolisihed with final coat

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1129
I was surprised nobody licensed Maken-ki until now. It seems like something that would get licensed instantly just because of the tits. Pointless shows involving tits do surprisingly well here so it's only smart to license them.
Ok™
 
Oct 14, 2011 3:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 271
If they do all the things right... It will be good!!!

Tensai_Cassio.png
 
Oct 14, 2011 4:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 208
Don't like
 
Oct 14, 2011 4:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 253
Their on a roll these people.
 
Oct 14, 2011 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 905
notsureifsrs said:
Not sure if this is good or bad.
Seems anime is taking a leap in digital licensing, and I don't know if I really want Funi at the helm.


Tell me about it.....

I'm not necessarily sure as well if I want them "ruling" the anime media community....would like more variety and choices....hopefully Sentai can get their reputation up and Aniplex can shoot their prices DOWN lol.
 
Oct 14, 2011 4:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 190
Meh, it's not HD and it's USA and Canada only.
I guess I'll stay with torrents.
 
Oct 14, 2011 4:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
I'm going against the grain and saying that this is fantastic news. Anime has been a commodity that has always made itself wide open to piracy (that being the fact that there has always been a significant time delay between Japanese and English speaking airdates). More streaming cuts down this problem significantly and greatly reduces the need for fansubbing (except for older shows, which I wholeheartedly support). I'd much rather support anime however I can, and let people who make it know that I am watching. And it's great feedback for Funi as well. Good stream numbers = good chance the show will sell well on DVD and BD.

With this announcement, there are no shows that I'm interested in that aren't available streaming (except Gundam AGE, but that's streaming in SE Asia so...). I'll gladly pay the $6-8 per month when the premium plan eventually starts going.

Plus it's going to be the fastest way to watch the anime (provided they keep with the hour lag like they have been doing).

Plus I LOVE the Niconico commenting system. It makes shows that much more fun to watch. I'm looking at you, UtaPri.

 
Oct 14, 2011 5:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2954
:/ dont see Shana or Boku at the site... and wow.. their releasing them so late... looks like itl be awhile before i get to watch much of em :(



"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
 
Oct 14, 2011 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 258
Interesting.
Roloko said:

Although I heard the you have to pay Niconico just to watch full screen and thats just beyond ridiculous. I'd rather watch fansubs then buy the DVDs when they are released. Or hope that Funi also uploads it onto Hulu so I can watch it on full screen for free.

I did just watch Guilty Crown on the Funimation website, and it looked like their regular player (full screen and everything). If it was "Funico" doing it, I really didn't notice a difference.
Modified by IceAndCream, Oct 14, 2011 5:26 PM
 
Oct 14, 2011 5:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 423
C3, Shana 3, and Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam.

HELL FREAKING YES!!!

Watching anime streamed, even if it is to fund the publishers, is pointless to the extreme. Everything is better streamed anime. Buy the DVDs instead if you want to support the anime.
Modified by Ocean_Horizon, Oct 14, 2011 5:55 PM
 
Oct 14, 2011 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 116
I'm glad that they are doing these types of things to be able to get these shows out around the world. This said I still personally enjoy (well done) fansubbing over most of translations of streaming services.

CR is hit and miss, they usually do a decent job, but theres a lot of times where they will just completely skip full lines of dialog.
 
Oct 14, 2011 5:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1908
A partnership won't make their dubs any better.




 
Oct 14, 2011 5:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 519
It's a step in the right direction.
 
Oct 14, 2011 6:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 311
whoisfriend said:I'm going against the grain and saying that this is fantastic news. Anime has been a commodity that has always made itself wide open to piracy (that being the fact that there has always been a significant time delay between Japanese and English speaking airdates). More streaming cuts down this problem significantly and greatly reduces the need for fansubbing (except for older shows, which I wholeheartedly support). I'd much rather support anime however I can, and let people who make it know that I am watching. And it's great feedback for Funi as well. Good stream numbers = good chance the show will sell well on DVD and BD.
With this announcement, there are no shows that I'm interested in that aren't available streaming (except Gundam AGE, but that's streaming in SE Asia so...). I'll gladly pay the $6-8 per month when the premium plan eventually starts going.
Plus it's going to be the fastest way to watch the anime (provided they keep with the hour lag like they have been doing).
Plus I LOVE the Niconico commenting system. It makes shows that much more fun to watch. I'm looking at you, UtaPri.

I agree with this whole post.
And I strongly support this partnership, and am really looking forward to what they can accomplish with it.
 
Oct 14, 2011 6:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
What I'm wondering is why Fate/Zero isn't there. NicoNico made a big deal about airing Fate/Zero and then just stuck it on their Japanese site... this was a perfect opportunity to give it more exposure. No reason to not put it on the American NicoNico too.

 
Oct 14, 2011 6:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6730
RyanSaotome said:What I'm wondering is why Fate/Zero isn't there. NicoNico made a big deal about airing Fate/Zero and then just stuck it on their Japanese site... this was a perfect opportunity to give it more exposure. No reason to not put it on the American NicoNico too.


I've been wondering the same. With the way they've been handling Fate/Zero on their site, it's almost like they're trying to keep it a secret from foreigners.

I guess that's Aniplex for you.
 
Oct 14, 2011 7:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 42
Mormegil said:
RyanSaotome said:What I'm wondering is why Fate/Zero isn't there. NicoNico made a big deal about airing Fate/Zero and then just stuck it on their Japanese site... this was a perfect opportunity to give it more exposure. No reason to not put it on the American NicoNico too.

I've been wondering the same. With the way they've been handling Fate/Zero on their site, it's almost like they're trying to keep it a secret from foreigners.
I guess that's Aniplex for you.

It's not exactly hidden. There's a link on the niconico home page to the Japanese site. Would be nice if it was in the anime section though.

EDIT: Err... it was on the homepage. It's gone now. Unfortunate.
Modified by whoisfriend, Oct 14, 2011 8:08 PM

 
Oct 14, 2011 7:47 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2079
I have a theory of why Fate/Zero isn't involved.

Aniplex USA has it, they have been hyping it themselves since Otakon.

I don't know if this is good or bad, I like having more anime streamed but I can't help but feel this deal will leave out people outside of the USA and Canada, on the other hand, Gundam Age has shown that it can go the other way.

I will chalk it up to more legal anime is a good thing, and try to figure out why people are complaining about the streams being the tv version.
My anime list
 
Oct 14, 2011 8:06 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1133
Oh cool.

jrgcool35 said:
Funimation seems to be really growing in size lately. I've been reading a lot about them making tons of acquisitions and/or licensing new anime. To be honest though, I have no problem with this since they are actually a really high quality publishing company especially with their dubs.


This.
 
Oct 14, 2011 8:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 883
cant wait to get C3 on dvd :D but did they already get Maji de Watashi Koi ni shinasai(or something like that)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 14, 2011 8:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5349
this may be the new trend from this time forward
 
Oct 14, 2011 9:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 25
Hmmm awesome things are happening after all for anime well if other countries include london then i am up for it.

C3 is the only anime on my list that has been licensed so far...
 
Oct 14, 2011 9:55 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2775
Ten to one the streams will be region-locked anyway, meaning I'll still be dependent on fansubs till they release these shows on DVD/BD.

And I still don't see the point in streaming anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 14, 2011 10:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 216
Funimation expanding is always great news, I would be worried if I was Crunchyroll though.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
 
Oct 14, 2011 11:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
also i wouldent pay or watch SD quality anime &gt;.&gt;

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Oct 14, 2011 11:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 224
death to fansubs
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »