Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2011 1:59 AM

May 2008
The visuals, the music, the animation, the environment, and the slice-of-life realism all meshed so well to create this wonderful atmosphere in Ano Hana, one that I wish more anime would emulate. But the actual characters driving the story?

I find myself very character-driven. They're the ones that get me addicted, or at least allow a connection to their world. But when the characters are as unbelievable and over-the-top as they seem to be in Ano Hana, that addictive, vicarious connection gets severed.

Ultimately quite an enjoyable watch, but I just couldn't get too emotionally invested in the series because I couldn't really connect with this somewhat special set of characters.
FauxAznNov 1, 2011 4:34 PM
Oct 13, 2011 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
I didn't really like any of the characters and they were forgettable to me.
Oct 13, 2011 2:32 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I can agree with the OP for the most part on this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 13, 2011 2:57 AM

May 2008
*sigh* I wanted to make this into a poll... kind of curious considering how absurdly high Ano Hana's score is on MAL. Especially with the sheer amount of 10's, which should be a score you allocate to only your absolute favorites. Unfortunately, they took out the function to add a poll when editing posts.
Oct 14, 2011 2:33 AM

Feb 2010
I liked tsuruko , i agree she could have more character development , but i dont think it lacked completly , i would liked to see more of her anyways.

About the others i didnt loved them , but i didnt hated them, they may had their problems but at least they didnt feel that unrealistic or retarded like clannad characters.
Oct 14, 2011 7:12 AM

Mar 2010
I agree. I don't mind most of the characters, even though all of them are poorly developed, but I cannot stand Menma. For some reason her character really pisses me off, might be because she is all so "perfect" and as its already known worldwide, "perfection" doesn't exist.
You try and you fail. Try again. Fail better.
Oct 15, 2011 6:31 PM

Aug 2011
I thought the characters were actually very believiable--what with their selfish ulterior motives and all.

But it's also pretty farfetched how obsessed they still are with Menma. They were what? 5 when that happened? I don't know about you, but it's kind of hard for me to remember much of anything that happened when I was that young.
Oct 15, 2011 8:58 PM

Feb 2009
Just because they aren't completely likeable all the time, it does not mean they aren't good characters. I found them extremely realistic in how emotional they are and how much they are driven by their own wants/desires instead of the "pure" desires a lot of other series focuses on. There's no just "I want to help Menma", but they all have their motives for why they are doing what their doing.
Personally, I thought the characters were pretty well done.

DraconisMarch said:
But it's also pretty farfetched how obsessed they still are with Menma. They were what? 5 when that happened? I don't know about you, but it's kind of hard for me to remember much of anything that happened when I was that young.

Some of them went through something pretty traumatic though. I mean, Popo was the one that found her body. Would you really forget that?

Not to mention Yukiatsu had an unhealthy obsession, and Jinta wasn't much better. The other two could have moved on but their friends are just so hung up on it that they can't. So yeah, I do think it's realistic (And I think they were older then 5...)
Oct 15, 2011 8:58 PM

Sep 2011
i thought the characters were well done, jintan was kinda just there but everyone else was good

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 15, 2011 9:06 PM

Aug 2010
DraconisMarch said:

I sure as hell would remember if something like that happened to me.

But yeah, I agree, I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, everyone was just obsessed with everyone. It really made it less enjoyable for me.
Oct 19, 2011 1:08 PM

Aug 2011
Forum ate my post?

Anyway, what I said was: I'm not saying they'd forget about what happened. The example I gave was more to express the fact that it's harder to remember details in your mind from when you were really young.

I'm saying 10 years is a stupid long time to still be so obsessed about someone. There's not letting go of the past, and then there's...
DraconisMarchOct 19, 2011 1:11 PM
Oct 30, 2011 9:15 PM

Aug 2011
DraconisMarch said:
Forum ate my post?
Anyway, what I said was: I'm not saying they'd forget about what happened. The example I gave was more to express the fact that it's harder to remember details in your mind from when you were really young.
I'm saying 10 years is a stupid long time to still be so obsessed about someone. There's not letting go of the past, and then there's...

You can't really talk about "forgetting the past" unless you have experienced something like this. Did you?

Their best friend has died a terrible death, which has also been indirectly (or directly) connected with their presence at their clubhouse on that day. Don't know about you, but something like that would haunt me until my very death. Sure, I'd try to move on, but I doubt I would be able to completely.

That aside, I think all the characters were perfectly believable. One shut himself in from the outside world and surrounded himself with video games, one tried her best to forget about the past by fitting in with the slutty girls of the school, one ditched school and went traveling around the world with a constant smile to forget his horrible vision, one was extremely obsessed over the dead friend so he surrounded himself with schoolwork, and one was always jealous of her two girl friends, so she also surrounded herself with schoolwork.

Perfectly believable characters IMO. As for Menma... I don't really know. It's like she was stuck in between teenage world and her childhood. Mixed opinions.
Oct 30, 2011 9:17 PM

Dec 2010
The characters were normal. I didn't think any stood out in particular, but they fit the whole anime's atmosphere. I don't know how else you could improve on that.

Oct 30, 2011 9:22 PM

Jun 2011
I Loved most of the character except Matsuyuki atsumu It was kinda weird how he dressed like her O.o
Oct 31, 2011 8:17 PM

Aug 2009
I agree with the OP.
Characters were stereotypical and annoying mostly.
Apart from pulling a few memorable stunts here and there, they are quite forgettable.

Everything else about the series is what makes it high. It could have been a solid 10 had it not been for the characters in the story.
Nov 1, 2011 5:23 PM

May 2008
Indulg3 said:
That aside, I think all the characters were perfectly believable. One shut himself in from the outside world and surrounded himself with video games, one tried her best to forget about the past by fitting in with the slutty girls of the school, one ditched school and went traveling around the world with a constant smile to forget his horrible vision, one was extremely obsessed over the dead friend so he surrounded himself with schoolwork, and one was always jealous of her two girl friends, so she also surrounded herself with schoolwork.
You didn't find any of that a bit over the top? I mean, you even used the words "extremely obsessed" to describe a character.

See Cross Game for how some might adequately (and more plausibly) handle a childhood friend's death. Of course you'd remember -- you'd probably never forget -- but normally, at least after some time, you'd move on with your life instead of letting a single death drag you back so "extremely" or "obsessively". Especially after such a long time.

Or in the wise words of DraconisMarch:
DraconisMarch said:

Indulg3 said:
one was extremely obsessed over the dead friend so he surrounded himself with schoolwork
Really? That's all he did as a result? Overlooking one of the most blatant displays of crazy in this show much? You're almost making him sound sane, lol.

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
jintan was kinda just there
Agreed, that irked me sporadically throughout the show.
Nov 2, 2011 6:00 PM

Mar 2011
Glad I;m not the only one. If someone were to ask me "Hey! Don't you love AnoHana?" I would say yes without a doubt, but if they asked me "Don't you LOVE the characters in AnoHana?" I would say "Um......not, not really. I can't say I do."
Nov 2, 2011 6:06 PM

Aug 2011
TheSouthAzn said:

You didn't find any of that a bit over the top? I mean, you even used the words "extremely obsessed" to describe a character.

See Cross Game for how some might adequately (and more plausibly) handle a childhood friend's death. Of course you'd remember -- you'd probably never forget -- but normally, at least after some time, you'd move on with your life instead of letting a single death drag you back so "extremely" or "obsessively". Especially after such a long time.

Or in the wise words of DraconisMarch:
DraconisMarch said:

Indulg3 said:
one was extremely obsessed over the dead friend so he surrounded himself with schoolwork
Really? That's all he did as a result? Overlooking one of the most blatant displays of crazy in this show much? You're almost making him sound sane, lol.

Have you ever read a book about Stephen King? He writes psychological horrors, and most of his books display on just how effed up a person can be. The scariest part is, a good chunk of his work is based on true stories and unexplained phenomenons that actually happened.

None of the characters in this anime were "over-the-top", as you may say they are. Hell, even the characters in "School Days" are not farfetched.

The world is an effed up place, filled with not-quite-sane people. Say what you will, but people much more insane than this exist in the world.

The way they acted (in terms of plain stupidity), however, is a totally different case.

Apr 12, 2012 3:08 AM

Sep 2009
If you mean are there characters I have a bit of resent towards....then yeah.

Outside of that I believe this is more of a story driven series. I mean those characters could have completely appearances and backgrounds but as long as the history is there then it's story story story from here on out.

As far as character development goes then I think it's fine, if not pretty well for 11 episodes. As I've said with a story driven series, short ones as that, there's not a heavy importance for any major character development. Part of the story is that most of the "character" is already developed. It's not their character themselves that's problematic and needs to be refined it's their history; their past.

Tsuruko puts it best when she was describing Yukiatsu when she mention that "he's rotten to the core, if you try to drain all the puss out there would be nothing left."
Apr 15, 2012 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
This would have been a 9 or a 10 to me if the characters were more believable. I think if they had made it a bit softer and subtle and less OTT then this would have been a masterpiece.

Something hints at me that this was the result rewriting on the part of producers in order to dumb it down for "mainstream Japanese teenagers" and the original concept wasn't as exaggerated and "in your face".
No.

More topics from this board

» I'm watching this in 2024

bUriTtOTiTaN - Mar 26

30 by RegicakTiiy »»
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1235 by sarkardragon »»
Feb 21, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 5, 2011

387 by mylovetokoyami »»
Feb 16, 2:40 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

229 by nisensi »»
Feb 9, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

notnishiura - Apr 21, 2011

358 by Xeehad »»
Jan 17, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.