Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 11, 2011 6:46 PM

Apr 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought it was cool he got to meet Master Roshi as a kid and Mutaito too! xD

Jul 30, 2012 4:25 PM
Jan 2012
If Mutaito was already stronger than Goku, how couldn't he have defeated Piccolo Daimao without having used the Mafuba back when Piccolo first planned on invading the planet?
Oct 17, 2012 7:38 PM

Mar 2011
RIDZ said:
If Mutaito was already stronger than Goku, how couldn't he have defeated Piccolo Daimao without having used the Mafuba back when Piccolo first planned on invading the planet?

Don't use logic. Suspend your disbelief. If you like logic, go watch Death Note.

May 15, 2013 10:37 AM

Feb 2013
RIDZ said:

Yes I was thinking the exact same thing but yeah its Dragon Ball just like DBZ things don't always make sense logically lol.

Anyway that was a really cool episode, Goku getting to meet Master Mutaito and younger Master Roshi was pretty fun. Also it seems Crane was pretty crazy even back then contrary to what Roshi said lol.
Nov 14, 2013 9:31 AM

May 2012
Awesome just love this concept of going back in time to training alongside Roshi!
Dec 2, 2013 11:16 PM

Jun 2009
brucescrews said:
RIDZ said:

Don't use logic. Suspend your disbelief. If you like logic, go watch Death Note.

It's continuity error although there could be an explanation for it in a later episode:

It should also be noted that there are many logical inconsistencies in Dragon Ball/Z/GT.
Feb 26, 2014 6:22 AM
Oct 2011
Tyestor said:
brucescrews said:
RIDZ said:

It's continuity error although there could be an explanation for it in a later episode:

It should also be noted that there are many logical inconsistencies in Dragon Ball/Z/GT.
Tyestor said:
brucescrews said:
RIDZ said:

Also this episode is filler ie non-canon
Mar 14, 2014 3:41 AM

Jun 2009
I figured watching this, along with other episodes in this mini-arc, that this may be filler. Mutaito never came off as that strong before, in his confrontations with Piccolo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 14, 2014 11:21 AM

Jul 2007
animalia said:
Tyestor said:

Tyestor said:

Just like everyone here mentions this is actually a inconsistency and continuity error because of it being filler.
ArtimesGamerOct 2, 2017 10:44 AM

Mar 14, 2014 1:32 PM

Jun 2009
Should also mention that Goku flashing Roshi was hilarious.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 10, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2013
insan3priest said:
Should also mention that Goku flashing Roshi was hilarious.

Indeed!
Nov 17, 2015 7:15 AM

Apr 2014
It's like the first time that Son Goku has serious problems with learning a technique, the meditation and spirit techniques. And Son Goku meets the legendary Mutaito in the Room of Spirit and Time.
Nov 23, 2015 5:05 PM
Nov 2013
Toiriyama creates a lot of characters that look similar. I've seen two or three other people that look like Suno. In this episode Fanfan looked a lot like General Violet from RR.
Aug 31, 2016 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
Personally I like to think it is a friendly spar to test each other skills than an all out battle to the death.
The training filter episodes was surprisingly enjoyable and relaxing.
Jun 16, 2017 11:01 AM

Aug 2013
This has been a surprisingly entertaining little string of episodes.
Aug 8, 2017 9:56 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
This episode was really awsome *-*

Oct 2, 2017 8:45 AM

Jun 2016
If Mutaito was a ki master I'm sure Roshi would've known more about it, thus allowing him to do it and teach Goku it. And on top of that as everyone's mentioned, Mutaito is stronger than Goku in this universe, but meanwhile couldn't beat Piccolo when Goku could. Inconsistent filler is bad. But, I really do enjoy the designs and interactions of young Roshi and Crane, so that's a plus. My favorite part was actually the idea of Ten and the gang going to Karin, that should be really cool and it's exactly the kind of training I was hoping we'd get to see. Let's hope the rest of the filler isn't inconsistent.
Oct 4, 2017 11:08 AM
Oct 2011
link9us said:
animalia said:

Just like everyone here mentions this is actually a inconsistency and continuity error because of it being filler.

This is a different room
Mar 24, 2018 6:25 AM

Jul 2008
Oh snap young Roshi!
Mar 8, 2020 5:54 PM
Jan 2020
i have a lot of thoughts for this episode. i know crane was supposed to be portrayed as evil but at the beginning of the piccolo arc his downfall after failing to piccolo was described as "he saw the futility in fighting for justice". this would imply he was evil all along and if he really was then roshi would've told the story a lot differently. crane even tried murdering someone in this episode. i also find it a bit baffling that roshi's master STILL allowed crane to train with him even though he almost killed someone.

also kami having time travelling abilities really makes me question how the arc is playing out. why not send goku in the past to train the crap out of and then have him kill piccolo in the past, which would probably bring a huge amount of plot holes and confusion with it, but still. or maybe just killing piccolo jr. before or right when he's born? seems a bit out of character for goku but maybe someone like popo could do it? many questions many question.
Jun 7, 2020 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was quite amusing. For all his boasting about being a prodigy amongst prodigies and a handsome devil girls swarm over, young Master Roshi was a shy, cowardly martial artist in the face of Master Shen. And that Master Shen was, most likely, all of the mentioned above.

There are some confusing questions for me in this episode. Firstly, as mentioned before, prime King Piccolo, who Goku managed to defeat, utterly overwhelmed Mutaito. That said, just how did Goku lose to Mutaito? Logic dictates that Goku would, at least, be on the same level as Mutaito. Secondly, Mutaito seems to know a fair bit about manipulating energy, which I presume is Ki. Wouldn't it make sense that Master Roshi should also have energy-related knowledge and techniques? This episode has its fair share of logical inconsistences.
Sep 22, 2020 10:50 PM
May 2019
Seems Goku finally got new clothes. That said, this episode didn't make quite a lot of sense. Seems there is a likelihood that Tien and the others will seek out the Korin tower to receive proper training, however.
Jan 22, 2021 2:45 AM

Oct 2020
Goku is learning as much as he can. Now the time travel was awesome. Goku is learning from Master Muta Ito. I knew there is something left. It was spiritual powers. Now Goku will complete his learning and then perfection.

So Goku is the first student of Master Roushi but the young Master Roushi is not the first one he met. He met the old Master Roushi then now he met the young Master Roushi ...... Time travel is sure confusing.

Tien, Yamcha, Krillian should try to climb the Korin's tower. I am sure they will succeed. I am not sure about Chiaotzou but he seems to be succeeded as well. They will be shocked to see Yajirobe living there.
May 4, 2021 7:02 AM

Jul 2016
Everybody making great points and no doubt there will be plot holes later on and in DBZ.. but I was thinking of it more like this:

BornWithCHeeSe said:
Personally I like to think it is a friendly spar to test each other skills than an all out battle to the death.
The training filter episodes was surprisingly enjoyable and relaxing.

Had push come to shove, Goku would have won, but he isn't being pushed to his ultimate limits and he's there to learn.
Jul 8, 2021 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
goku oblivious of his time travel? no surprise! xD
nice, he will be stronger than his master and his master's master :D in the past..

💢

Jul 10, 2021 2:21 AM
Feb 2021
You have two balls
- Husky
Jan 16, 2023 7:27 PM

Dec 2021
Not only is this an interesting scenario but it also introduces ki into Dragon ball for the first time
Mar 12, 7:55 PM

Jun 2020
Why was Ki introduced in a filler 😂 Anyways cool episode, I thought that panfan-san was General Violet at first.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 57 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 2, 2011

24 by David_Mamyan »»
Apr 21, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 75 Discussion

brucescrews - Jan 15, 2012

24 by vehehgito »»
Apr 20, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 13 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 26, 2008

41 by Kyla_The_Plant »»
Apr 17, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 41 Discussion

vizhmaster_vizhu - Apr 27, 2011

28 by JaminKT »»
Apr 17, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lPix - Dec 31, 2009

57 by berninhachan2 »»
Apr 14, 1:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.